Sign in to follow this  
Lionsjunkie

McGahee To Get Cut?

THE NEWS

Willis McGahee could miss the rest of the preseason, according to the Baltimore Sun. Furthermore, reporter Mike Preston says McGahee does not have many fans in the Baltimore front office because his work ethic is substandard, and it would not be a shock to see him get cut before the end of the regular season.

Our View

With the quality play of rookie Ray Rice, McGahee could be deemed expendable. This news has to alarm fantasy owners who invested a high pick in the former Miami back. It is absolutely imperative to handcuff Rice should you choose to draft McGahee.

:lol:

I highly doubt they'd move a guy with this much potential but I have seen crazier things.

:thumbsup:

Our View

With the quality play of rookie Ray Rice, McGahee could be deemed expendable. This news has to alarm fantasy owners who invested a high pick in the former Miami back. It is absolutely imperative to handcuff Rice should you choose to draft McGahee.

:cheers:

I highly doubt they'd move a guy with this much potential but I have seen crazier things.

:unsure:

Please. Absurd training camp speculation.

it's on fanball

This board is one of the few Ray Rice Wagons around. I had an article queued up a month ago but my piss poor grammar and my diligence in my draft preparations has led me to keep it on ice. Of course I missed on some of my calls apparently (Jacoby Jones ) :cheers: .

Here is what I had to say a good month or so ago:

Sunrise-

Ray Rice

Baltimore

Ok, ok. I said its easy to plug in rookies as sleepers but a true rookie sleeper is someone like Rice. Although he was a second round pick, he is being unfairly labeled as a scat back. So of course a scat back, change of pace guy is not going to supplant top 10 back Willis Mcgahee right? Au contraire my friends. Here are the facts on Mcgahee. Mcgahee has lost that explosiveness he was noted for at the U. With only one run of over 40 yards and only 5 over 20 yards, you are getting a plodder. The yards per carry over the course of the career of Mcgahee is 4.0,3.8,3.8.4.1. Not exactly world beater material which he was hyped as. Sure, he has not had the line play some other backs get but other backs have done more with less.

New Coach John Harbaugh is out to change the culture of the Ravens. He is making it a point that everyone competes for time, regardless of status. Of course there has been some backlash to go with the new regime. The below quotes point to one culprit in particular.

"Sources indicate there was a pretty strong locker room backlash to Harbaugh's new code of conduct in the early months of his tenure, with several players challenging him on such detail-oriented edicts as no slouching in meetings, no feet up on chairs, no hats pulled low over the eyes, and the wearing of game jerseys at practice."

"More of a question mark at this point are Ravens veterans such as safety Ed Reed, cornerbacks Chris McAllister and Samari Rolle, and running back Willis McGahee. They haven't exactly been religious about attending the Ravens' off season workout program this spring, and Harbaugh is said to be hopeful they'll fully fall in line with the rest of the team's all-out commitment to change in what promises to be a grueling training camp."

"Former Ravens coach Brian Billick often had to pull Willis McGahee in the fourth quarter of games last year due to poor conditioning.

Poor conditioning won't fly under new coach Jim Harbaugh, whose off season program has already been more intense than anything Billick ran. Training camp will likely be much tougher under the ex-Eagles special teams coach."

In my big money league this weekend I have every intention of taking him and doing it at a high pick. His situation is eerily similar to that of Clinton Portis when the Broncos had Gary still putting up numbers. His talent was too good and I used a 5th rounder on him. He and Vick carried me to the brink of a championship.

:unsure:

This makes no sense, at most I could see them entertaining trade offers.

Of course, someone is talking about somethng they don't understand.

The head coach there John Harbaugh has come out and said McGahee is the #1, case closed. This is just a rumor.

Of course, someone is talking about somethng they don't understand.

He got a big contract, who wants to take that off their hands without a reneg?

Who cares... No QB, no WR's and no line... Were talking mediocre #2 RB numbers regardless of who starts. :angry:

Who cares... No QB, no WR's and no line... Were talking mediocre #2 RB numbers regardless of who starts. :thumbsup:

Same offensive players as last year when McGahee was very good, unless you think McNair was an awesome QB. And Ogden barely played last year due to injury. Cameron made Ronnie Brown a star last year on a terrible team, and had success with some guy named LT prior to that. Think maybe he can do something with the Baltimore running game?

I think this is total BS and they're not cutting McGahee, who they traded 2 third-round picks for, just so they can start a rookie. They'd look like idiots.

On a fantasy note, I'd love for him to be moved to somewhere like Houston, since I own McGahee and Rice in my dynasty league. :doublethumbsup:

He got a big contract, who wants to take that off their hands without a reneg?

Chicago, Houston, Denver, etc. I would sure try to find out. Reneg can be part of a trade.

Chicago, Houston, Denver, etc. I would sure try to find out. Reneg can be part of a trade.

Why do people think he would have to renegotiate? It's a big deal, but he performed last year. He had a little surgery in the offseason, but from his point of view I don't see why he would agree to a lower salary. He had a very good year last year, and is expected to be ready for week 1.

Why do people think he would have to renegotiate? It's a big deal, but he performed last year. He had a little surgery in the offseason, but from his point of view I don't see why he would agree to a lower salary. He had a very good year last year, and is expected to be ready for week 1.

You are correct!

i live in baltimore never heard such a thing and as bad as the qb situation is i fully expect mcgahee to be the start.

Postings like this are ridiculous. They contain no link and make assumptions. Mcgahee is the starter when healthy, Mcgahee will start the regular season, ray rice is a 3rd down back at best.

Here is an actual link to a story from the Baltimore Sun: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...0,1661462.story

It says that Mcgahee will be healthy for the start of the season and that Coach Harbaugh reiterated after the last preseason game that Mcgahee is still the starter.

There we go, everyone just calm down a bit.

Postings like this are ridiculous. They contain no link and make assumptions. Mcgahee is the starter when healthy, Mcgahee will start the regular season, ray rice is a 3rd down back at best.

Here is an actual link to a story from the Baltimore Sun: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...0,1661462.story

It says that Mcgahee will be healthy for the start of the season and that Coach Harbaugh reiterated after the last preseason game that Mcgahee is still the starter.

There we go, everyone just calm down a bit.

Mcgahee is the starter for now. Rice has the kind of work ethic and talent that is going to push Mcgahee. Past history indicates Mcgahee will fold. I just hope the guys in my league think the like the consensus so I can snag Rice later. :rolleyes:

McGahee's stock is definetly falling but to even suggest that he may get cut at any time this season is ABSURD. Just like the rumors about Ronnie Brown being traded before the season starts.

RB depth is a PREMIUM in this league. Teams dont just cut starting caliber guys like that unless they have ABUNDANT depth behind them. Thats not the case here. I have heard the same rumblings questioning Willis' work ethic and such and Rice may be the guy as early as 09' but they arent gonna cut the guy 1 year after giving him a lot of guaranteed money and with a ROOKIE and little depth behind him.

No way this happens, I don't care how good Rice has looked.

And the QB situation in Baltimore isn't BAD...it's just in transition. I think Flacco or Smith could turn into decent QB's at some point in time. I commend the organization for making some moves rather then just banking on Boeller year after year (ala Chicago and Grossman)

Sounds like a stretch but it's possible. It seems like McGahee never really fit in well there. I think part of the problem was they never learned how to use him right. Ray Rice is a talented back up. I stil doubt though that they cut him.

The QB situation is horrible in Baltimore and defenses are going to put 8 in the box and stop the run. McGahee will have a bad season and I am avoiding this guy. The injury just makes the case against him stronger.

The QB situation is horrible in Baltimore and defenses are going to put 8 in the box and stop the run. McGahee will have a bad season and I am avoiding this guy. The injury just makes the case against him stronger.

Other than his possible injury, how is his situation any worse/different than last year?

This is the world we live in. Some asshat posts it on a blog, messageboard, website etc. and all of a sudden it's gospel.

Honestly, I think McGahee would be better of being cut, at least he could go to a team that had a QB and a chance.

No way this happens, I don't care how good Rice has looked.

And the QB situation in Baltimore isn't BAD...it's just in transition. I think Flacco or Smith could turn into decent QB's at some point in time. I commend the organization for making some moves rather then just banking on Boeller year after year (ala Chicago and Grossman)

It's been in transition from Bad to Worse to Putrid for years.

It's been in transition from Bad to Worse to Putrid for years.

They won a Super bowl with freaking Trent Dilfer, it doesn't get any worse than that.

As I wrote on the PFW fantasy blog last week, it wouldn’t shock me if rookie Ray Rice stole Willis McGahee’s job, even if McGahee’s health isn’t an issue. And that was before Rice turned in a terrific preseason performance this past weekend against the Vikings, who boast one of the NFL’s best run defenses. The Ravens claim McGahee should be ready for the season opener after undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery last week, but he’s unlikely to shoulder a full workload so soon after that procedure, so Rice will get a chance to show what he can do in the regular season. McGahee doesn’t have a reputation of being a team player, and he made himself scarce while new offensive coordinator Cam Cameron was installing his system in team minicamps. Rice is as diligent as McGahee is standoffish, and if the Ravens feel there isn’t a significant talent drop-off between the two players, they might just promote Rice, the model citizen. I’m dropping McGahee from No. 10 to No. 14 and avoiding him in my own drafts. I’m also giving Rice a slight bump. If you have the guts to take McGahee, you’d better handcuff him to Rice.

maybe in a year or two when his cap hit declines

$15M guaranteed bonuses - $7.5M when he signed, $6M this year and $1.5M next year.

Salary structure: $595K last year (final year of original deal), $605,000 in 2008, $620,000 in 2009, $3.6 million in 2010, $6 million in 2011, $6.5 million in 2012 and $7.2 million in 2013.

Not a bad deal from the team's standpoint - throw him big money up front, almost 60% of the $40M is on the back half, which he'll never see.

The chances of the Ravens cutting him this year or next are pretty low. Rice will have a bigger role than Musa Smith - 125-150 carries seems about right - but I doubt Baltimore is ready to give him the keys to the bus based on 14 carries in a couple exhibition games.

I would be amazed if Willis is not the day 1 starter in Bmore, and even more amazed if he is still in that position come game 6..... :pointstosky:

Incumbent Willis McGahee realized quickly why the team drafted Rice. “That kid can flat-out play. Man, he’s quick.”

Whatcha talkin 'bout, Willis? :shocking:

Not that McGahee's job, technically, is in jeopardy. John Harbaugh didn't hesitate to make that clear after the Ravens' 23-15 preseason loss to the Minnesota Vikings last night at M&T Bank Stadium. "Who's going to be the starter? It's Willis," he said. Of Rice, though, he added, "But he plays like a starter, if that's what you're asking."

I just read that Willis can only run in water and still is on crutches. Sounds like he is almost good to go. :(

I just read that Willis can only run in water and still is on crutches. Sounds like he is almost good to go. :unsure:

"I know it ain't exactly running, but running in the pool is great conditioning," McGahee said. "Just ask Michael Phelps."

:dunno:

One report I saw said he was still on crutches and then I saw another one saying he was off the crutches.