Sign in to follow this  
aparoche

Bengals Cut RB Rudi Johnson

"Agent: Rudi cut"

August 30, 2008

1:45 p.m.

Even though he returned to practice last week, the Bengals apparently decided they hadn't seen enough of the new and improved Rudi Johnson this summer and cut the man projected to be their bell-cow running back in their biggest move on Saturday's Cut Down Day.

Peter Schaffer, his agent, said Saturday from Denver, "That's what we've been told."

Thanks for finding this and posting this news so quickly.

No problem. I am currently at work with a Bengals fan from Cincinnati and he got a call from his buddy in Cinci who heard the news on the local sports radio station there.

His agent's from Denver. Anybody think the Broncos are a possiblity? They brought Alexander's slow ass in for a tryout.

My first thought would be the Texans... but who knows.

Great Find!............and great news for us Perry owners

:overhead:

yep, got perry in the 16th in my 10 team PPR money league... feeling GREAT about that value!

Now, if he can just stay healthy... I read somewhere that most of his injuries have not been your typical bumps and bruises, mostly uncommon types?

can't remember where I read it, but the article basically said he's not as much of an injury risk as people think.

I think Watson is the real sneaky play here. I mean Perry is the obvious pickup, but the guy's only been able to stay healthy enough for 73 carries in 3 years? doesn't that say something about his durability? I'm gonna go go out on a limb and say Watson ends up leading the team in carries by year's end.

For those who handcuffed Rudi w/ Perry you might want to hang on to Rudi for a week or two to see if he surfaces somewhere w/ a different team and, more importantly, a different bye week. You could end up with an extra RB you weren't counting on.

I picked up Perry in several of my leagues and am attempting to move him while his value is at its highest. Watson was too good last year as a fill in so don't think Perry will be the exclusive back for the Bengals.

I picked up Perry in several of my leagues and am attempting to move him while his value is at its highest. Watson was too good last year as a fill in so don't think Perry will be the exclusive back for the Bengals.

I think that this is a good point. Last year everybody was on the Watson bandwagon. Now everybody is on the Perry bandwagon. I'm also not convinced that Prry will be the exclusive back. This has Denver RBBC written all over it.

I think that this is a good point. Last year everybody was on the Watson bandwagon. Now everybody is on the Perry bandwagon. I'm also not convinced that Prry will be the exclusive back. This has Denver RBBC written all over it.

I think this has Perry main back and Watson 3rd down and change of pace back written all over it. Pretty much as most RBs are now days.

Lewis: Chris Perry could be every-down back

Asked Saturday if Chris Perry is "his guy" at running back now, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis responded "Obviously that's we are."

Lewis indicated that Perry will be a three-down back. "We have felt very comfortable keeping him in there on third down, so I think he'll log more playing time than anyone we've had back there for a while. He's never had that opportunity, so this is his chance." The odds are against him staying healthy for long. Aug. 30 - 8:13 pm et

Source: bengals.com

i got perry in the 9th now i gotta get watson in a trade :doh:

I said it before but I've heard nothing of substance, the Lions will cut Tater tot and swoop in for Rudi. He's the type of workhorse/bruising change of pace back that would compliment Kevin Smith very nicely.

ETA: I just saw the Lions final cuts and they only have two tailbacks on the team with a couple on the injury list. This could certainly add fuel to this fire.

I said it before but I've heard nothing of substance, the Lions will cut Tater tot and swoop in for Rudi. He's the type of workhorse/bruising change of pace back that would compliment Kevin Smith very nicely.

ETA: I just saw the Lions final cuts and they only have two tailbacks on the team with a couple on the injury list. This could certainly add fuel to this fire.

Free agent Rudi Johnson is visiting the Lions on Sunday night, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

There isn't a more running back-needy team in the league. Johnson wouldn't be an obvious upgrade over Kevin Smith, but at least he'd give Detroit a proven power back. Johnson also shouldn't cost more than $1 million. Aug. 31 - 5:33 pm et

:pointstosky: I'd see this as a definite upgrade for the overrall RB talent pool if he's healthy enough to play.

mixed emotions on this possible move...

C.Perry owner delighted to hear the news this morning... also a K.Smith owner who is troubled to hear Rudi is meeting with Det.

:doublethumbsup:

mixed emotions on this possible move...

C.Perry owner delighted to hear the news this morning... also a K.Smith owner who is troubled to hear Rudi is meeting with Det.

:nono:

I'm not as troubled by this and I am in the exact same situation - same players. Here is why I would be happier as a Kevin Smith owner if the Lions go out and grab a bruiser.

I don't think rookie running backs are made to take the rigors of a brutally long NFL schedule, playing 4-5 more games a year against 11 players a week which they saw no more than the likes of 1-2 on any usual week in college.

Examples -

AD played substantial minutes the first nine games, then missed the next two and except for two games against the worst run defenses in the NFC, he was utterly ineffective 3 of the last 5 weeks.

Marshawn Lynch played nine, then out 3. He came back pretty strong afterwards (but only 1 td).

Steven Jackson missed all important weeks 13 and 14 of his rookie year.

Cadillac - After getting 88 carries to start his rookie year, Cadillac Williams took 10 games to duplicate what he did in the first three games.

Maroney averaged 14 carries a game and then left week 13 after 4 carries, not to return until week 16.

Joseph Addai, who played throughout his entire rookie year, had a marked decrease in production over weeks 13 through 17, only going over 64 yards once and getting zero tds in the last 5 weeks.

Conversely Reggie Bush split to start and in the last five games of his rookie year had 550 combined yards, 7 tds and 24 receptions. MJD over the same span had 606 combined yards, 7 tds and 14 receptions.

Free agent Rudi Johnson's workout with the Lions is scheduled for Monday.

He'll also take a physical, which could be an obstacle for Johnson coming off his bum hamstring. Rudi seems unlikely to be signed before the opener.

Source: MLive.com

I own Kevin Smith as well and I'm not discouraged by this. The more first downs they make, the more reps Kevin gets and his stats will reflect that. He may take a few TDs away but he might help keep Kevin healthier long term. I choose the optimistic route here.

After meeting with free agent Rudi Johnson Sunday and Monday morning, Lions GM Matt Millen indicated that no deal is imminent.

Millen probably offered a minimum contract and Johnson a place on the Week 2 roster. "He looked fine. We're where we're at," Millen said. "If he's comfortable with it, fine. If he's not comfortable with it..."

Source: Detroit Free Press

I'm guessing Rudy's agent wanted him signed before week 1 to get him more moolah or something(not sure how that works). He'll probably call around to gauge the interest. He'll realize that not too many other teams are going to offer him up significant playing time or cash at this stage of the game and he'll call back to finalize a deal. Expect a deal one week from today.

ETA: The hesitation at this stage of the game arises from the Collective Bargaining Agreement provision that permits a player with four or more years of service to collect “termination pay” if he is on a roster at the start of the season and thereafter is released. ---pro football talk

Rudi Johnson signs with Lions

by Tom Kowalski

Monday September 01, 2008, 5:40 PM

According to a source close to the situation, free agent running back Rudi Johnson has signed a contract with the Lions. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Johnson, who rushed for 1,000 yards in three straight seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals (2004-06), is expected to replace Tatum Bell as the No. 2 running back behind starter Kevin Smith. The Lions, however, have yet to announce any roster moves. The addition of the eight-year veteran might mean the Lions will use more of a platoon system at running back.

After practice on Monday, Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said, "I just had a chance to watch him in some drills (during a workout) and he's impressive. He's a big, thick guy who has great feet. I played against him over the years so I know he's a very physical back. He's a guy with a lot of talent and a lot of experience.''

This is not official as of yet because it's a "source close to the situation". Tom "killer" Kowalski has been known to float out some garbage from time to time however I tend to believe this one because I saw Marinelli being interviewed and he was just glowing about him. I think it's a no lose situation for the Lions. It adds depth, and the promise of a 1-2 punch of varying RB styles.

Rudi Johnson signs with Lions

by Tom Kowalski

Monday September 01, 2008, 5:40 PM

According to a source close to the situation, free agent running back Rudi Johnson has signed a contract with the Lions. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Johnson, who rushed for 1,000 yards in three straight seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals (2004-06), is expected to replace Tatum Bell as the No. 2 running back behind starter Kevin Smith. The Lions, however, have yet to announce any roster moves. The addition of the eight-year veteran might mean the Lions will use more of a platoon system at running back.

After practice on Monday, Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said, "I just had a chance to watch him in some drills (during a workout) and he's impressive. He's a big, thick guy who has great feet. I played against him over the years so I know he's a very physical back. He's a guy with a lot of talent and a lot of experience.''

This is not official as of yet because it's a "source close to the situation". Tom "killer" Kowalski has been known to float out some garbage from time to time however I tend to believe this one because I saw Marinelli being interviewed and he was just glowing about him. I think it's a no lose situation for the Lions. It adds depth, and the promise of a 1-2 punch of varying RB styles.

Thanks for keeping us up to date! :doublethumbsup:

Would you drop Rudi and pick up Watson now. This is available for me.