Sign in to follow this  
edgarb

How bout them Titans

Their schedule has been as soft as a cupcake. They have a solid team, but they're not as good as their record suggests.

What's funny is their remaining schedule is just as much of a joke as its beginning. They could sleepwalk into the playoffs.

Their schedule has been as soft as a cupcake. They have a solid team, but they're not as good as their record suggests.

What's funny is their remaining schedule is just as much of a joke as its beginning. They could sleepwalk into the playoffs.

So far this year, they are the best team in the AFC.. Nobody else is standing out, Tennessee goes out weekly and takes care of business.

Wins over Jacksonville, Baltimore, Minny are decent wins for a team with a QB duo of Young and Collins and WR core led by Justin Gage.

Wins over Jacksonville, Baltimore, Minny are decent wins

Those are below average teams. Jax had several linemen missing in Week 1 and Minnesota is among the worst teams in the entire NFC. Baltimore practically beat them today and the Ravens have nothing going for them except a good defense. The Titans barely eeked out a meager 3 point win today. Not impressed. Obviously you knew better than to bring up the other two victories they've had against the lowly Texans and the Bungles (both winless in 2008). Like I said, the Titans have a solid team, but come playoff time they won't have the luxury of playing the little sisters of the poor. They're among the best teams in the AFC, admittedly, but only because the rest of the conference is so awful by comparison.

Those are below average teams. Jax had several linemen missing in Week 1 and Minnesota is among the worst teams in the entire NFC. Baltimore practically beat them today and the Ravens have nothing going for them except a good defense. The Titans barely eeked out a meager 3 point win today. Not impressed. Obviously you knew better than to bring up the other two victories they've had against the lowly Texans and the Bungles (both winless in 2008). Like I said, the Titans have a solid team, but come playoff time they won't have the luxury of playing the little sisters of the poor. They're among the best teams in the AFC, admittedly, but only because the rest of the conference is so awful by comparison.

Why don't you name me a better AFC team right now?

Baltimore isn't bad at all, They have one of the best D's in football, JAX was a favorite in the AFC.

Why don't you name me a better AFC team right now?

I think with Peyton getting healthier every week, the Colts have an edge. I also like what I'm seeing from the Broncos. Once Willie Parker returns to the Steelers I'd have to rank them slightly higher as well. The Bills are in trouble, having lost Edwards, but he may or may not be Out for next week. The Titans are in the Top 5, to be sure, I just don't see them advancing past most of the aforementioned teams in the playoffs. They'll struggle against teams who can score in bunches and you can't expect Kerry focking Collins to lead them anywhere. If they turn to Vince Young it will be even worse...they may not even make the playoffs if that switch is ever made.

I think with Peyton getting healthier every week, the Colts have an edge. I also like what I'm seeing from the Broncos. Once Willie Parker returns to the Steelers I'd have to rank them slightly higher as well. The Bills are in trouble, having lost Edwards, but he may or may not be Out for next week. The Titans are in the Top 5, to be sure, I just don't see them advancing past most of the aforementioned teams in the playoffs. They'll struggle against teams who can score in bunches and you can't expect Kerry focking Collins to lead them anywhere. If they turn to Vince Young it will be even worse...they may not even make the playoffs if that switch is ever made.

Tenn is playing the best ball in the AFC, I'm not sure bringing up Indy and Denver is a good way to make a case against them.

I don't think there is a team in the AFC I would take over Tenn right now, they are no question playing better D than any other team in the AFC. Their O is suspect, but they do a have a game breaker in Chris Johnson.

Not saying you are right or wrong, I just really like what I have seen out of Tenn in a weakened AFC this year.

For fock's sake, I like what I see from Tennessee too...how many times do I have to call them "solid" or "Top 5". I just don't think their 5-0 start is anything to get excited about if you care about what really matters: the playoffs. I didn't bring up Indy or Denver to "make a case against them" - I was just answering a question as to which teams I would rank slightly higher. Chris Johnson is great, but as a rookie, can he keep it up all season and into the playoffs? LenWHALE isn't going to help him out much and I'd be worried about relying on a rookie to carry that kind of load alongside a fossil at QB. It's not like the Titans signed Brett Favre...it's still Kerry Collins we're talking about. Like I said, they'll sleepwalk into the playoffs, but they don't have the experience or the offense to keep up with some of the more familiar teams you'll see in January.

I've said this time & time again....No coach does more with less than Fisher. Congrats to the Titans & their fans. I wish we had him in Cleveland.

True story. Fish' just needs more talent to really make this team a post-season threat. I'm glad they've kept him around in Tennessee.

Den and Indy better? Give me a break. Indy was lucky to win today, and Den has no defense. I would easily take Tenn over either of them on a neutral field.

Pitt, Indy, Jags, and Pats. All off to questionable starts due to injuries and lack of cohesion. All four of them are improving on a weekly basis as they get settled into their groove.

Titans too have faced (obvious) adversity as well. But the point is... it's a long season. 5-0 looks pretty good. No reason they can't go 6-0 after KC. But with Indy, Chicago, and Jax again afterwards, things will get interesting.

with Indy, Chicago, and Jax again afterwards, things will get interesting

Especially should they decide to re-insert Vince Young back into the lineup :unsure:

Good running game and great defense. The Ravens won a Super Bowl with as much.

That's the biggest focking stretch I've heard in a long time. First of all, Tennessee's defense is good, yes, but doesn't even BEGIN to compare to what Baltimore had that year. We're talking shut down ability, total and complete, breaking records set by the almighty '85 Bears. The 2008 Titans, as good as they are, come nowhere near that historic unit. And the running game? The Ravens had Jamal Lewis in his prime running alongside Priest focking Holmes. Sorry, chief, but LenWHALE is a worthless doughnut and you can't seriously claim that Chris Johnson by himself is better than both of those Baltimore studs. It's a ridiculous comparison from top to bottom; I can't believe I even honored it with a response.

That's the biggest focking stretch I've heard in a long time. First of all, Tennessee's defense is good, yes, but doesn't even BEGIN to compare to what Baltimore had that year. We're talking shut down ability, total and complete, breaking records set by the almighty '85 Bears. The 2008 Titans, as good as they are, come nowhere near that historic unit. And the running game? The Ravens had Jamal Lewis in his prime running alongside Priest focking Holmes. Sorry, chief, but LenWHALE is a worthless doughnut and you can't seriously claim that Chris Johnson by himself is better than both of those Baltimore studs. It's a ridiculous comparison from top to bottom; I can't believe I even honored it with a response.

I'm getting so sick of people overreacting to harmless comments. First off, I didn't compare the Titans of this year to the Ravens of 2000. I said the Titans have a great defense and a good running game, and that the Ravens won a Super Bowl with that. Second, Tennessee's defense is only "good"? Third, that was Jamal Lewis' rookie season so it wasn't his prime. Fourth, Priest Holmes wasn't GREAT for the Ravens. He might have started a couple games, but after Jamal took the job, he probably got only a couple carries and a couple receptions per game. History will show it was the offensive line in KC that made Priest the FF God he came to be known as. Fifth, Chris Johnson has looked pretty good so far... and is a rookie JUST LIKE Jamal was. Sixth, I didn't make a comparison in the first place. Seventh, believe it.

Tool.

I didn't compare the Titans of this year to the Ravens of 2000. I said the Titans have a great defense and a good running game, and that the Ravens won a Super Bowl with that

Res ipsa loquitur :rolleyes:

As bad as everyone thinks the offense is they've put up 17, 24, 31, 30, 13 points which isn't bad at all. Couple that with the fact that the defense has only allowed 10, 7, 12, 17, 10 points then you realize why people are excited about the team. And VY will not be re-inserted unless injury or ineffectiveness from Collins. As bad as Kerry was yesterday he came through in the clutch big time and won the game. They may have certain situational packages where Vince comes in but Kerry is the starter.

Say what you want to but they've beat the teams they are supposed to beat and in convincing fashion. It's tough to win on the road, but they've done it twice now. They beat the Bengals handily who hung with the Giants and Cowboys this season. The Ravens are a tough team who will be tough to beat in Baltimore all season long. That defense is VERY good. I will take a win in Baltimore no matter the circumstances.

And right now there isn't a better team in the AFC. Indy has had to have miracle comebacks in their only two wins and got beat at home twice. Jacksonville was overrated by everyone everywhere. Garrard has reverted back to his old form (after getting paid) and losing Stroud was a huge blow to that defense. Buffalo hasn't been impressive trailing in the 4th quarter to two of the NFL's bottom feeders in St. Louis and Oakland and then getting hammered in Arizona. The Broncos have given up an average of almost 400 yards a game and got steamrolled by the Chiefs of all people. As I said earlier the Titans have beat the teams they're supposed to beat unlike all the teams I've just mentioned. That's the difference.

The closest two teams right now in the AFC are probably Pittsburgh and New England. Though if the Titans haven't beat anybody New England certainly hasn't either. Pittsburgh has impressed me but they are beat up right now, but I think they atleast have a bye week next week.

Before the season everyone thought the Titans had a tough schedule. Jacksonville was a playoff team, Minnesota could go to the superbowl (= :overhead: ), Houston was an up-and-comer. That just goes to show you why we play the games every Sunday.

Baltimore on the road, Jacksonville, Minny.

Not exactly cupcakes.

Its the NFL people.

And ask Indy how much of a cupcake Houston was yesterday.

The same Peyton and the Colts that had to squeak out a win against those lowly Texans you mentioned?

The Titans D is excellent, they have a very good Oline and solid running game.

They simply don't need VY or Collins to do much.

I don't see teams scoring in bunches against this defense though.

Let me say this about the matter. The Titans 2008 offense is better than the Ravens 2000 offense. Obviously the defense isn't quite to that level yet but they have given up the fewest points in the league currently. That defense is an elite unit and may be the best the Titans have ever fielded. Both Finnegan and Griffin have 4 INTs. They have the best defensive player in Haynesworth, and a beast on the outside of the line in Vanden Bosch. And don't every forget that the team as a whole is very well-coached. The team had a circus to contend with aboutt he VY situation at the beginning of the season and Fisher handled it flawlessly, and the Titans continue to take care of business every Sunday. The Titans of 2008 (right now) are a more complete team than the Ravens were and are more balanced IMO. Please don't put words in my mouth because that Ravens defense is a historic unit and the Titans aren't at that level. I'm just saying as a team the Titans are more balanced.

Do you think calling him Whale makes him any less effective in this offense?

The 1-2 combo is quite solid.

Even with Priest and Jamal...they scored a whopping 8 TDs on the ground that year between those two. It was hard the Priest Holmes running all over people like he did in KC.

There are alot of similarities between those two teams.

And the X factor is Fisher is a much better coach than Billick ever was.

5-0...great job...now what do we do when Young is able to come back?

Dont put Young in unless you want to start losing. Hes a focking BUST, and a little freegin girl that should be on Oprah discussing his emotional issues with Doctor Phil instead of playing football. He should be CUT and the Titans should just ride Collins out as long as they can and then start thinking about drafting a REAL franchise QB next season. They should have learned their lesson that you simply can NOT draft a dumb, run-first quarterback like Vince Young. Teams have been trying it for years and it just does NOT work.

As for their record.... 5-0 is 5-0.... but something tells me that against quality competiton they will be exposed as a .500 team that has taken advantage of a sh!t schedule and shoddy competition. Hey, you have to play whos on your schedule and they are taking care of business. But, later in the year lets see how they do. And, the playoffs will really test them.

Dont put Young in unless you want to start losing. Hes a focking BUST, and a little freegin girl that should be on Oprah discussing his emotional issues with Doctor Phil instead of playing football. He should be CUT and the Titans should just ride Collins out as long as they can and then start thinking about drafting a REAL franchise QB next season. They should have learned their lesson that you simply can NOT draft a dumb, run-first quarterback like Vince Young. Teams have been trying it for years and it just does NOT work.

As for their record.... 5-0 is 5-0.... but something tells me that against quality competiton they will be exposed as a .500 team that has taken advantage of a sh!t schedule and shoddy competition. Hey, you have to play whos on your schedule and they are taking care of business. But, later in the year lets see how they do. And, the playoffs will really test them.

Again with the schedule.

Anyone thinking wins against Minny, Jax, and Baltimore (that one on the road) is not quality competition needs to have their head examined.

.500 team? They were better than that last year and the year before...and guess what. Their defense is better, their oline is better, their running game is better and their offense as a whole is better than the last 2 years.

So how are they just a .500 team?

I guess their schedule is just easy every year and they don't play in what at least was the best division in the AFC the past several years.

Again with the schedule.

Anyone thinking wins against Minny, Jax, and Baltimore (that one on the road) is not quality competition needs to have their head examined.

.500 team? They were better than that last year and the year before...and guess what. Their defense is better, their oline is better, their running game is better and their offense as a whole is better than the last 2 years.

So how are they just a .500 team?

I guess their schedule is just easy every year and they don't play in what at least was the best division in the AFC the past several years.

We'll see I guess. They have the look and feel of a team that needs their opponents to play badly for them to win. They dont dominate any games. Their offense seems to score "just enough". They look very beatable if an opponent could just score a few more points. Hey - its working and maybe Im wrong.... but Im not sold yet. Just like Im not sold on the Bills either who looked very .500-ish yesterday!

We'll see I guess. They have the look and feel of a team that needs their opponents to play badly for them to win. They dont dominate any games. Their offense seems to score "just enough". They look very beatable if an opponent could just score a few more points. Hey - its working and maybe Im wrong.... but Im not sold yet. Just like Im not sold on the Bills either who looked very .500-ish yesterday!

Have you actually watched any of the games?

They've dominated every opponent on both sides of the ball with the exception of the Ravens. Their average margin of victory is 12 points, almost 2 TDs. And that average would be much higher if not for their 3 point win yesterday.That's good. They also have a top red zone offense and have scored TDs instead of field goals which was their problem last season. Wouldn't any team be beatable if the opponent could score a few more points? The problem is actually scoring a few more points, which no team has been able to do on this defense.

I don't see the Bills comparison. The Bills have been trailing late to the Rams/Raiders and then got destroyed by Arizona. The Titans have really only trailed in the 2nd half vs. Baltimore. Beating Baltimore was a quality win on the road.

Go ask Schaub, Frerotte, Garrard, and Carson Palmer if the Titans are dominant. Once again they didn't dominate the Ravens, but they took everything the Ravens had on defense and came back and won the game. Like I said saying they don't dominate games is beyond uninformed and you obviously have never watched a minute of the games this year.

Have you actually watched any of the games?

They've dominated every opponent on both sides of the ball with the exception of the Ravens. Their average margin of victory is 12 points, almost 2 TDs. And that average would be much higher if not for their 3 point win yesterday.That's good. They also have a top red zone offense and have scored TDs instead of field goals which was their problem last season. Wouldn't any team be beatable if the opponent could score a few more points? The problem is actually scoring a few more points, which no team has been able to do on this defense.

I don't see the Bills comparison. The Bills have been trailing late to the Rams/Raiders and then got destroyed by Arizona. The Titans have really only trailed in the 2nd half vs. Baltimore. Beating Baltimore was a quality win on the road.

Go ask Schaub, Frerotte, Garrard, and Carson Palmer if the Titans are dominant. Once again they didn't dominate the Ravens, but they took everything the Ravens had on defense and came back and won the game. Like I said saying they don't dominate games is beyond uninformed and you obviously have never watched a minute of the games this year.

Why would I watch the Titans? Most boring focking sh!t ever.... Whatever... they're awesome. We'll see how they make out when they play an NFL team. :P

Umm...do you think maybe the reason the opponents don't score many points is because their defense is that good?

That other teams are playing "badly" because their defense is good enough to make them play badly?

That they actually have dominated on both lines of scrimmage because they have a great D and Oline?

At some point that offense is gonna have to come from behind against a good team. I still have my reservations about them succeeding in doing that.

:P

You mean like they did this week against the best defense in football?

Let me say this about the matter. The Titans 2008 offense is better than the Ravens 2000 offense. Obviously the defense isn't quite to that level yet but they have given up the fewest points in the league currently. That defense is an elite unit and may be the best the Titans have ever fielded. Both Finnegan and Griffin have 4 INTs. They have the best defensive player in Haynesworth, and a beast on the outside of the line in Vanden Bosch. And don't every forget that the team as a whole is very well-coached. The team had a circus to contend with aboutt he VY situation at the beginning of the season and Fisher handled it flawlessly, and the Titans continue to take care of business every Sunday. The Titans of 2008 (right now) are a more complete team than the Ravens were and are more balanced IMO. Please don't put words in my mouth because that Ravens defense is a historic unit and the Titans aren't at that level. I'm just saying as a team the Titans are more balanced.

Not knocking the Titans but I'm not sure their offense is really better than that 2000 Ravens team either. Lewis & Holmes combined for 1952 yards, Shannon sharpe was still in his prime and had a great year and Qadry Ismail was a good deep threat. They were the 16th overall offense that year (14th in scoring). That being said it's real close and I think the comparisions right now between those 2 teams are valid. We'll see if the Titans can keep it up but right now they are the best team in the AFC.

The Titans D in 2000 was also great remember. They actually gave up less yards than the Ravens and only gave up 26 more points that year.

Why would I watch the Titans? Most boring focking sh!t ever.... Whatever... they're awesome. We'll see how they make out when they play an NFL team. :wacko:

They have played 5 NFL teams.

:P

Do you think calling him Whale makes him any less effective in this offense?

The 1-2 combo is quite solid.

Even with Priest and Jamal...they scored a whopping 8 TDs on the ground that year between those two. It was hard the Priest Holmes running all over people like he did in KC.

There are alot of similarities between those two teams.

And the X factor is Fisher is a much better coach than Billick ever was.

Another similarity is the Ravens beat up on a ton of cupcakes. They may have only faced 3 or 4 teams with winning records (I can't remember, but this seems right).

The Titans are a good team but how good is the question. They haven't beaten one team worth a damn.

Not knocking the Titans but I'm not sure their offense is really better than that 2000 Ravens team either. Lewis & Holmes combined for 1952 yards, Shannon sharpe was still in his prime and had a great year and Qadry Ismail was a good deep threat. They were the 16th overall offense that year (14th in scoring). That being said it's real close and I think the comparisions right now between those 2 teams are valid. We'll see if the Titans can keep it up but right now they are the best team in the AFC.

The Titans D in 2000 was also great remember. They actually gave up less yards than the Ravens and only gave up 26 more points that year.

Yup...Lewis and Holmes did do that.

But so far, Johnson and White have combined for 546 rushing (616 overall yards) and 8 total TDs (matching the 8 total TDs that Lewis and Holmes put up).

Now...multiply that out (and I know the on pace for thing does not totally work but for fun) and you get 1747 rushing yards. And remember they have played against Jacksonville, Baltimore, and Minny already...some decent run defending teams. With their schedule and teams like GB, Detroit, KC, Indy twice, Houston again, Cleveland, NYJ...they could very well do even better running the ball.

There is alot of football to play for sure. But so far its looking pretty good down here...only wish it was looking so good up in GB.

Why would I watch the Titans? Most boring focking sh!t ever.... Whatever... they're awesome. We'll see how they make out when they play an NFL team. :dunno:

Ok so you haven't. Now I know how seriously to take your opinion. Since when is a ball-hawking defense with a great running game and dominant line play boring? Do you actually like football or do you just like it when a team wins a game 51-48? That explains why you named the Broncos as a team in the AFC you think are better than the Titans.

I realize this is a fantasy football website but I thought most people actually had an appreciation for the sport before they started counting their points every Sunday.

Yup...Lewis and Holmes did do that.

But so far, Johnson and White have combined for 546 rushing (616 overall yards) and 8 total TDs (matching the 8 total TDs that Lewis and Holmes put up).

Now...multiply that out (and I know the on pace for thing does not totally work but for fun) and you get 1747 rushing yards. And remember they have played against Jacksonville, Baltimore, and Minny already...some decent run defending teams. With their schedule and teams like GB, Detroit, KC, Indy twice, Houston again, Cleveland, NYJ...they could very well do even better running the ball.

There is alot of football to play for sure. But so far its looking pretty good down here...only wish it was looking so good up in GB.

I agree they should start getting better running and probably passing with the upcoming schedule. They have been scoring a lot thanks to the D giving them short fields but this offense has not put up very many yards so far even though the D has put them on the field a lot.

Well I'm really enjoying how it's going in Green Bay. :dunno: If only the Bears didn't choke away 2 games. <_<

The best thing to happen to the Titans is VY losing his job. They remind me of the Ravens team that went to the SuperBowl. No, their offense isn't going to blow you away, but their D is top notch. - Better than the Ravens top-rated D yesterday. I think now that teams have film on Collins, he won't continue his cinderalla performances - yesterday was a good example.

In the end, D wins championships. We saw that last year. The Broncos (big fan) and Indy just don't have the D right now. Titans do. The key will be to see whether the Titans O can step up late in the season/post or if the Broncos/Colts D can start coming to together. Whichever does will likely reign supreme in the AFC.

- What happend to the Chargers? Didn't they already book their flight to the SuperBowl? Damn.