Sign in to follow this  
kkustes03

Outlook On Chris Johnson

easy on that notion.

fisher/heimerdinger merely realized that running lendale up the middle, on his signature carries, was not effective versus the front of the ravens. johnson himself had 18 car for 44yds, a sub-3.0ypc and long carry of only 13yds.

fisher knows the success of this team's offense lies in the complement wearout, physical running of lendale with the speedy burst of johnson.

both backs will remain 15-18 carry players with johnson getting the screen opps.

I would expect you'll not see quite the disparity that you saw against the Ravens, but you will more of one than they started the season with. Look for CJ to be closer to 20 carries and Lendale to be around 10 most weeks, with CJ also getting more involved in the passing game. Lendale may be used to close out games, so if they get up big they'll probably rely on him more, but it's clear from the Ravens game and the Vikings game that CJ will be getting some of the GL carries previously given to Lendale.

Look for CJ to be closer to 20 carries and Lendale to be around 10 most weeks, with CJ also getting more involved in the passing game. Lendale may be used to close out games, so if they get up big they'll probably rely on him more, but it's clear from the Ravens game and the Vikings game that CJ will be getting some of the GL carries previously given to Lendale.

Exactly.

I'm officially off the Lendale bandwagon. I thought that he would still get his fair share of carries, and of course TD's, but now with Johnson infringing on his goal line carries and him averaging 2.6 YPC and 33 yards per game, I don't think I'd be able to just hope that he scores a TD. So I dropped his ass (10-team league, I also have Gore, SJax and Edge and Hightower is available so I was thinking about picking him to go along with Edge even though he is basically the same thing as White).

I just got Chris Johnson in a trade. My RBs needed help. (see in my sig) I traded JT O'sullivan for CJ straight up. I am hoping he gets to be more of the main guy. I think he will. I had targeted the Lynch owner, but he wanted too much back, not just a QB straight up. So, fellow CJ owners......let's hope he rips it up! :dunno:

I just got Chris Johnson in a trade. My RBs needed help. (see in my sig) I traded JT O'sullivan for CJ straight up. I am hoping he gets to be more of the main guy. I think he will. I had targeted the Lynch owner, but he wanted too much back, not just a QB straight up. So, fellow CJ owners......let's hope he rips it up! :headbanger:

What?

Chris Johnson for JT O'Sullivan. Do you play in a 10 team league that requires 3 QB's? This makes no sense.

What?

Chris Johnson for JT O'Sullivan. Do you play in a 10 team league that requires 3 QB's? This makes no sense.

Maybe the other guy drafted Brady and Bulger, had ridiculous RB depth and no one else would trade?

But yeah, that is crazy that someone gave up CJ for JTO. :headbanger:

What?

Nope. 12 team auction. I had Brees and Big Ben (team QB btw) and picked up JT O'sullivan off the WW in wk 2, on a hunch. So I still have Brees and Big Ben. I had just Big Ben after draft night, and got Brees in a trade in week 2 as well. I had worries about Big Ben's durability, so I made a move to get Brees, because the guy had Brees, Delhome, and Rodgers.

So, you don't think getting CJ is a good thing? Did you look at my RB core?

Nope. 12 team auction. I had Brees and Big Ben (team QB btw) and picked up JT O'sullivan off the WW in wk 2, on a hunch. So I still have Brees and Big Ben. I had just Big Ben after draft night, and got Brees in a trade in week 2 as well. I had worries about Big Ben's durability, so I made a move to get Brees, because the guy had Brees, Delhome, and Rodgers.

So, you don't think getting CJ is a good thing? Did you look at my RB core?

Of course getting CJ is good for you. The question was why would the other guy give him up for JTO?

Of course getting CJ is good for you. The question was why would the other guy give him up for JTO?

Exactly. JT O'Sullivan is WW material. Chris Johnson is a starting RB who is gaining carries on a team that is 5-0. Giving him up for a backup QB (at best) makes no sense.

Regarding the Ravens game, Lendale didn't practice until Friday. By then most of the game plan is already in place (plays + the personnel package). His shoulder should be fine after the bye week, so I don't think White is irrelevant just yet.

CJ3 has looked very good at times, but only ADP and Fred Taylor had a lower yards per touch than him last weekend (minimum 10). Baltimore has a good D, but 48 yards on 20 carries/catches hardly sealed the deal for him.

My bad. I had the impression you were not high on me getting CJ. The owner I traded with has solid RB depth, and his QBs are Titans and Seahawks. It is a PPR league as well, and he has solid WRs, so he could afford to dump a RB for an upgrade at QB. It was actually a fair trade, considering the rosters. JTO is the 10th QB in our league right now, and we get 6 pts for a passing TD. He won't get a lot of yards, but he does toss TDs. Considering what his previous QB situation was, well I think it is a win-win.

I'm not too shocked that CJ went that cheap. In my money league, the owners have all been in the league for a five+ years with little turnover. There is apparently a disdain for rookies of any sort, even rookie RBs. This is probably why I was able to pick up both CJ and Slaton off the WW in the early part of the season. Even last week I attempted to shop CJ around for a WR and the best offers I got were a still-injured Deion Branch and Marvin Harrison. That's OK, I'll keep him for myself. :ninja:

Guest ramrock11

As long as Vince Young is not playing CJ will be one of the best backs in the league.

Got Cj in the ninth round

From Rotoworld:

LenDale White insists an ongoing shoulder injury is the reason for his low carry total against the Ravens in Week 5.

Coach Jeff Fisher indicated it was the result of game momentum because Chris Johnson was more effective. The bye week should allow White's shoulder to heal, and Fisher said he would remain involved in the offense. Still, Johnson's emergence has rendered White useless in all but touchdown-heavy leagues.

Regarding the Ravens game, Lendale didn't practice until Friday. By then most of the game plan is already in place (plays + the personnel package). His shoulder should be fine after the bye week, so I don't think White is irrelevant just yet.

CJ3 has looked very good at times, but only ADP and Fred Taylor had a lower yards per touch than him last weekend (minimum 10). Baltimore has a good D, but 48 yards on 20 carries/catches hardly sealed the deal for him.

White is not irrelevant, but he is losing carries regardless of his shoulder injury. CJ is a much more dynamic RB with a better ypc and the ability to bust a big run any time he touches the ball. He has made the most of his GL opportunities, and is thus eating into what used to be the one realm that Lendale was assured of getting carries in. Lendale will still get carries, but it is becoming more to spell CJ rather than a true committee. He will still get 10 or so per game, far from irrelevant, because the Titans run so much, but not being assured of GL carries hurts his value tremendously, especially with his ypc so low.

I'm not too shocked that CJ went that cheap. In my money league, the owners have all been in the league for a five+ years with little turnover. There is apparently a disdain for rookies of any sort, even rookie RBs. This is probably why I was able to pick up both CJ and Slaton off the WW in the early part of the season. Even last week I attempted to shop CJ around for a WR and the best offers I got were a still-injured Deion Branch and Marvin Harrison. That's OK, I'll keep him for myself. :thumbsup:

Disdain - or they don't know what they are doing because they never heard of a player?

I drafted Steve Slaton and Tim Hightower in all my leagues. I'm sure a lot of guys did. Let me guess they only drafted Darren McFadden?

Disdain - or they don't know what they are doing because they never heard of a player?

I drafted Steve Slaton and Tim Hightower in all my leagues. I'm sure a lot of guys did. Let me guess they only drafted Darren McFadden?

I will admit that Mendenhall and Ray Rice (remember him?) were drafted, but that's about it.

Interesting topic. I have always been a supporter of White, and the talent that he seems to have buried under layers of fat, but he came into the season leaner and running hard. His effort has tailed off with the shoulder injury that hinders his bread and butter 'up the gut' runs, pushing more workload onto CJ.

On CJ, I think we are just seeing the tip of the ice berg on his ability. He's not really all that involved in the passing game yet, and when he builds coaches confidence enough to get him split out more, his value will only go up. He's a terribly exciting young player with moves to match his speed. If he can develop his blitz pick-up (not saying its bad) to the point that the coaches must keep him on the field for all three downs, I think we will see White phase out into a back-up role.

I have to wonder if the coaches are holding him back some, trying to really ground him and save him for the long haul. Its a long season, and they will need this young man busting out for 5.0 a clip in week 14 when they are trying to lockup homefield advantage in the playoffs. Getting him a good number of carries each week, and not going 'all-out' with 30 touches a week seems sensible for a guy who is a shade under 200 lbs at the start of the season. If he gets too beat up, his weight could drop to a point where his already rail thin frame becomes more susseptable to injury.

Just a little fodder for the grist mill, but I really love what hes been able to do thus far, and if Fisher can keep working him into the game plan, CJ could be a major factor in fantasy land.