Sign in to follow this  
RoadLizard

Was it cheesey of me to cut Portis?

We have really tight rosters and with several of my WRs banged up I needed roster space. So, since Portis is looking like hes gonna be nursing injuries the rest of the freegin year, I decided that he must go. Im tired of worrying about him and his 46 different ailments. Anyways...

I have Slaton, Kev Smith, Hightower, and DeAngelo Williams at RB. They'll be good enough for the playoff run and I dont want to cut any of them since they are potentially keepers going forward and Portis was not going to likely make my keeper list anyways. Its a youth movement for me, so to speak. Porits just didnt fit into my long term plans and Im concerned about his longevity.

The reason I cut Portis as opposed to trading him was simply to let the Waiver-Wire work its course and this will ensure that NO playoff-bound team can get him. I wanted to be sure that a low-ranked team had first crack at him so they can hopefully keep him in the offseason and have a decent RB for next season. My concern is that some teams might say that cutting him was "cheesey" because a player like him should have been traded or something. Im afraid other owners will just think I did this as a "gift" for the bottom team which maybe I kind of did.... I dunno.

So, is this somehow violating league integrity or whatever? BTW, I am the Commish. 13 year keeper league.

:dunno:

We have really tight rosters and with several of my WRs banged up I needed roster space. So, since Portis is looking like hes gonna be nursing injuries the rest of the freegin year, I decided that he must go. Im tired of worrying about him and his 46 different ailments. Anyways...

I have Slaton, Kev Smith, Hightower, and DeAngelo Williams at RB. They'll be good enough for the playoff run and I dont want to cut any of them since they are keepers going forward. Its a youth movement for me, so to speak. Porits just didnt fit into my long term plans.

The reason I cut Portis was simply to let the Waiver-Wire work its course and this will ensure that NO playoff-bound team can get him. I wanted to be sure that a low-ranked team had first crack at him so they can hopefully keep him in the offseason and have a decent RB for next season. My concern is that some teams might say that cutting him was "cheesey" because a player like him should have been traded or something. Im afraid other owners will just think I did this as a "gift" for the bottom team which maybe I kind of did.... I dunno.

So, is this somehow violating league integrity or whatever? BTW, I am the Commish. 13 year keeper league.

:dunno:

:thumbsdown: HOPE YOU ARE KIDDIN

:( HOPE YOU ARE KIDDIN

No, Im not.... is it that bad? I mean... I thought the my reasons were valid. Especially when my WR corps is in the sh!tter.

:wave:

dont care how many WRs you have banged up! why would you drop a top 5 scorer and one of top backs at that :wave: you can pick up a WR any week.

all someone has to do is talk to someone higher on wavier wire and work out a trade and your screwed. well your screwed anyway. if you are in position to make playoffs why not just hold ground and portis will be back at playoff time??????????????

CANT BELIEVE YOU EVEN ASKED THIS QUESTION

Why not trade him to a shiotty team who has a good WR? :wave:

Anyway, I'm in a keeper league, and I understand your line of thinking. I don't see a problem with it.

Your reasoning is somewhat valid although weak.

Like someone else said, trade him for a half way decent receiver on a lower tier team. have to be better than anything on the wire.

Portis for Avery, something like that.

clue up bro.

Why not trade him to a shiotty team who has a good WR? :wave:

Anyway, I'm in a keeper league, and I understand your line of thinking. I don't see a problem with it.

Yeah, I was gonna consider that but our trade deadline is tonight and it would have been tough chasing people down all day today. Plus, the bottom teams arent exactly loaded with talent either.

This post seemed to me at first merely a way to incite a bunch of 'WHAT!?' reactions.

I think now that this Portis-on-the-wire-to-whomever's-last is what seriously transpired, in a Keeper League, no less.

Though I vaguely understand your logic, crap like this seriously undermines the integrity of the league whole, as you pass an obvious Keeper to someone, for no value lost.

Danger, Will Ronbinson! :wave:

Was it 'cheesy', as you suggest?...it was more like...dishonourable.

dont care how many WRs you have banged up! why would you drop a top 5 scorer and one of top backs at that :wave: you can pick up a WR any week.

all someone has to do is talk to someone higher on wavier wire and work out a trade and your screwed. well your screwed anyway. if you are in position to make playoffs why not just hold ground and portis will be back at playoff time??????????????

CANT BELIEVE YOU EVEN ASKED THIS QUESTION

Back for playoff time? Who even says he will be 100% for playoff time? On top of that, some of my other RBs have jucier matchups during the playoff run so thats another consideration. And of course.... the Skins are pretty one-dimensional and Campbell doesnt scare anybody. So , lets review:

- Portis' health is an issue

- The Skins offense is still pretty vanilla

- I have other RBs worthy of starting

Most importantly, I am now freed from the 50/50, gametime decision bull sh!t that I would have had to deal with probably for the rest of the damn season. The LAST thing I want playoff time is having to comb injury reports to see if my "stud" RB is gong to freegin play. Even if he does play is he 100% or 75%? Will he last the whole game? Will they pull him at the GL to "save" him.

Fock all that.

Back for playoff time? Who even says he will be 100% for playoff time? On top of that, some of my other RBs have jucier matchups during the playoff run so thats another consideration. And of course.... the Skins are pretty one-dimensional and Campbell doesnt scare anybody. So , lets review:

- Portis' health is an issue

- The Skins offense is still pretty vanilla

- I have other RBs worthy of starting

Most importantly, I am now freed from the 50/50, gametime decision bull sh!t that I would have had to deal with probably for the rest of the damn season. The LAST thing I want playoff time is having to comb injury reports to see if my "stud" RB is gong to freegin play. Even if he does play is he 100% or 75%? Will he last the whole game? Will they pull him at the GL to "save" him.

Fock all that.

You are one of the most stupid posters I have seen in a long time. Drop Portis? The guy could miss 1 game and be fine. If he is you will look like a idiot. Why would you roll the dice like that?

Portis is possibly the #1 back in some leagues.

Your reasoning is somewhat valid although weak.

Like someone else said, trade him for a half way decent receiver on a lower tier team. have to be better than anything on the wire.

Portis for Avery, something like that.

clue up bro.

Portis for Avery would throw up a red flag too.

Anyway, sounds like it was a rash last-minute decision. A week ago he should have sent an email to the league saying "I'm shopping Portis for a stud WR." RBs are gold in a keeper league, and Portis has value for a few more years; I hope anyway, since I have him in mine.

It can be tough in such leagues tho to know when to finally cut ties. In our league you pay $$ per year kept, and like in the real NFL, these guys aren't getting younger. Also you lose a draft pick per keeper, so the number of players you keep becomes an overall team management issue. It would not surprise me, for instance, if someone like LT is NOT kept in my league this year. Also every year 2-4 teams shed their entire roster and start over with early picks (sorta like the "youth movement" described in the OP).

You are one of the most stupid posters I have seen in a long time. Drop Portis? The guy could miss 1 game and be fine. If he is you will look like a idiot. Why would you roll the dice like that?

Portis is possibly the #1 back in some leagues.

I thought I explained perfectly well? I wont be keeping him next year. He is banged up and I'll betchya hes a focking game-time decision, limited in practice, 50/50 piece of shite the rest of the damn season. Im tired of it. Also, as I explained I have other good options at RB. I can understand people thinking its crazy, but you have to look at the whole situation before passing judgement.

- Not keeping him next year

- His injury BS is angering me

- Other options at RB the rest of the way.

I dont see why these are bad reasons?

What you didn't tell us was which player you picked up from free agency to fill that roster spot. Who was it? Which WR in week 11 was so important to get to let a top RB go at this time? I'm curious.

If you didn't pick up anyone and you just made an available spot in your roster... then WTF I don't understand.

What you didn't tell us was which player you picked up from free agency to fill that roster spot. Who was it? Which WR in week 11 was so important to get to let a top RB go at this time? I'm curious.

If you didn't pick up anyone and you just made an available spot in your roster... then WTF I don't understand.

very good question :angry: i would love to hear who it was

very good question :angry: i would love to hear who it was

It was Dustin Keller. With Wayne & Colston nursing various issues and Dwayne Bowe getting robbed each week by Bradley I had to add another receiving option.

Go ahead, let the laughter commense. Portis owners are in for a complete fock-job come playoff time and I aint gonna be one of them.

It was Dustin Keller. With Wayne & Colston nursing various issues and Dwayne Bowe getting robbed each week by Bradley I had to add another receiving option.

Go ahead, let the laughter commense. Portis owners are in for a complete fock-job come playoff time and I aint gonna be one of them.

:pointstosky: :doublethumbsup: :dunno: IM DONE WITH THIS THREAD AFTER FINDING THAT OUT

Wow.. Just wow..

Is was certainly a "ballsy" move. :dunno:

I wouldn't worry at all about league integrity on this. Keeper leagues are all about strategy and jockeying for long term strength. It's not like you cackblocked an owner on a critical pickup or anything. You felt it was the right move, you did it.. move on.

Plus, with all due respect.. your league mates won't be too upset about someone outright dropping Southside Jerome this season. Shocked & dismayed probably.. Upset, no.

:doublethumbsup:

:pointstosky: :doublethumbsup: :dunno: IM DONE WITH THIS THREAD AFTER FINDING THAT OUT

So let me see, you drop Portis for Keller and then you are thinking of starting him over Wayne, Colston and Bowe ??

Good grief ... can I join your league next year?

It often happens that a low ranking teams quit watching the waiver wire late in the season and even middle team's owners can get busy with other things and not pay attention to the WW.

It would be hilarious if a contending team picked him up and used him to beat you this year!

So let me see, you drop Portis for Keller and then you are thinking of starting him over Wayne, Colston and Bowe ??

Good grief ... can I join your league next year?

Keller was signed to be a primary backup for the three WRs you mentioned. Im not starting Keller over any of those guys...unless they are hurt which is a distinct possibility.

No openings in league for next year, sorry. :thumbsup:

It often happens that a low ranking teams quit watching the waiver wire late in the season and even middle team's owners can get busy with other things and not pay attention to the WW.

It would be hilarious if a contending team picked him up and used him to beat you this year!

That would be excellent! :thumbsup:

RoadLizard keep us updated. ;)

Wow.. Just wow..

Is was certainly a "ballsy" move. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't worry at all about league integrity on this. Keeper leagues are all about strategy and jockeying for long term strength. It's not like you cackblocked an owner on a critical pickup or anything. You felt it was the right move, you did it.. move on.

Plus, with all due respect.. your league mates won't be too upset about someone outright dropping Southside Jerome this season. Shocked & dismayed probably.. Upset, no.

;)

Yeah, tough move by me but justified as per my reasons. The injury issue was the biggest concern along with the fact that I am simply NOT keeping Portis next season with all of the solid, young RB talent I was able to get this year.

That would be excellent! :thumbsup:

RoadLizard keep us updated. ;)

Fair enough. I'll add this fiasco to my sig if Im wrong. I suspect though that Portis is gonna break some hearts this playoff season and I aint gonne be one of them. ;)

I have Slaton, Kev Smith, Hightower, and DeAngelo Williams at RB. They'll be good enough for the playoff run and I dont want to cut any of them since they are potentially keepers going forward and Portis was not going to likely make my keeper list anyways. Its a youth movement for me, so to speak. Porits just didnt fit into my long term plans and Im concerned about his longevity.

The reason I cut Portis as opposed to trading him was simply to let the Waiver-Wire work its course and this will ensure that NO playoff-bound team can get him. I wanted to be sure that a low-ranked team had first crack at him so they can hopefully keep him in the offseason and have a decent RB for next season. My concern is that some teams might say that cutting him was "cheesey" because a player like him should have been traded or something. Im afraid other owners will just think I did this as a "gift" for the bottom team which maybe I kind of did.... I dunno.

:thumbsup:

I am going to answer the question as if its not a fishing trip and hope that it is.

If a NORMAL league member has to ask if he did something wrong in this case.....he might or might not know the answer.

IF A COMMISH has to ask this question, it is no league I would want any part of.

Without a commish with crystal clear integrity a SERIOUS league is doomed. When dificult situations arise the rest of the league needs to KNOW that the commish will step in and do the right thing even when its not the easiest thing to do.

By making a move like that how is the league going to trust that they will get a fair shake in reguard to collusion issues?

Maybe you didnt have a particular team in mind when you made this move but how would you ever prove that ?

A commishioner ha to be ALWAYS above reproach ....even when it is not in his best interest to do so. Otherwise the league will not trust you .

I could never be in a league with a commish who tried that.

bush league move..... bad prescident ....... horrible decision Mr. Commish.

Keller was signed to be a primary backup for the three WRs you mentioned. Im not starting Keller over any of those guys...unless they are hurt which is a distinct possibility.

No openings in league for next year, sorry. ;)

after this move ther will be. :thumbsup:

I am going to answer the question as if its not a fishing trip and hope that it is.

If a NORMAL league member has to ask if he did something wrong in this case.....he might or might not know the answer.

IF A COMMISH has to ask this question, it is no league I would want any part of.

Without a commish with crystal clear integrity a SERIOUS league is doomed. When dificult situations arise the rest of the league needs to KNOW that the commish will step in and do the right thing even when its not the easiest thing to do.

By making a move like that how is the league going to trust that they will get a fair shake in reguard to collusion issues?

Maybe you didnt have a particular team in mind when you made this move but how would you ever prove that ?

A commishioner ha to be ALWAYS above reproach ....even when it is not in his best interest to do so. Otherwise the league will not trust you .

I could never be in a league with a commish who tried that.

bush league move..... bad prescident ....... horrible decision Mr. Commish.

I respect your opinions on it. I didnt think asking automatically meant it was a shady thing to do. There are actually,depending on wins/losses this week, 5 teams that have a shot at the first waiver-wire move. 3 of which are still very much alive for a final wildcard spot.

I dunno, I thought my reasons were fairly tight. Just because a few people might not agree with them doesnt mean they are chintzy. I happen to be loaded at young RB talent that I feel I can TRUST more than Portis who is pretty dinged up right now. Hes also on a vanilla offense that gets limited opportunities in the red zone. Fock that.

Ive been Commish for 13 years and we have most of the same guys. Ive never done anything to compromise integrity.

We'll see.

I respect your opinions on it. I didnt think asking automatically meant it was a shady thing to do. There are actually,depending on wins/losses this week, 5 teams that have a shot at the first waiver-wire move. 3 of which are still very much alive for a final wildcard spot.

I dunno, I thought my reasons were fairly tight. Just because a few people might not agree with them doesnt mean they are chintzy. I happen to be loaded at young RB talent that I feel I can TRUST more than Portis who is pretty dinged up right now. Hes also on a vanilla offense that gets limited opportunities in the red zone. Fock that.

Ive been Commish for 13 years and we have most of the same guys. Ive never done anything to compromise integrity.

We'll see.

Why do you keep eluding to this stacked RB spot, but never give the names? You did the same thing with Keller, who by the way I can't believe you felt was valuable enough to drop the the league's top RB for.

Care to share this info? Who are these superstud RBs that will replace the top RB in the game?

This move stinks to high heavens...

We'll see.

well your response tellme this isnt a fishing trip ....

and for full disclosure I am a Comish of a local league about 10 years now so that is why I responded with what may have seemed like a holier than thou attitude.

I understand your reason for doing what you did, but the fact remains you dropped a top RB for a rookie tight end who has had a couple of great weeks and isnt even going to start for you in hopes that a lower team picks him up. I would have to seriously think about this before getting back in this league next year because of that. There is a reason that public leagues often have NO DROP lists in them . It is to prevent player dumping and possible collusion from happening.

In a private league there should be no need for that because the Commish is there to see that doesn't happen.

The best thing that could happen for you and your league is for a season ending injury to Portis ( and before anybody yells I AM NOT hoping for or encouraging an injury.....Im not THAT GUY )

again I say ..... If you are the Commish and you have to even ask the question , then in the best interest of the league, it is a move that you should not have made. good luck with however it works out.

I am a league commissioner who is very ethical and takes being commisioner very seriously. Here are my comments:

He is doing it because he thinks it will help him to win his league.

Is it unethical? As someone who studied ethics in college (long ago), and has a son who is a minister, I can say with some certainty it is not at all unethical.

It it against league rules? I haven't see his rules but having played in a lot of leagues, I've never seen a situation like this prohibited by league rules, so I'm betting the answer is no.

Is is one of the dumbest moves I've ever seen - especially in a keeper league? YES, YES, EMPHATICALLY YES

Why do you keep eluding to this stacked RB spot, but never give the names? You did the same thing with Keller, who by the way I can't believe you felt was valuable enough to drop the the league's top RB for.

Care to share this info? Who are these superstud RBs that will replace the top RB in the game?

This move stinks to high heavens...

Earlier in the thread I stated that I had the following RBs: DeAngelo Williams, Slaton, Kevin Smith, and Hightower. Those three rookies are great keepers and like I said, Portis was NOT going to be kept no matter what. So, he was the odd-man out due to his current inury status which I believe is worse than some wish to believe. My WRs are Wayne, Colston, Bowe, and DeSean Jackson. Wayne and Colston are starting with the nagging injury bull-sh!t and Bowe cant be trusted. I had to sign someone.

And, most importantly, come playoff time I did NOT want a "stud RB" that was constantly questionable/banged up/gametime-decision/etc.

As for being the top RB.... not over the lest few weeks he aint. And going forward, I suspect he'll drop considerably.

I'm not in any keeper leagues, so maybe I just don't get the strategy involved here.

It seems like you're sacrificing this year for next. None of your RBs are anything special: DWill has to share with Stewart going forward, and how will this shake out next year? Slaton has maybe hit a wall this year, but should be fine next year; Hightower has a brutal sked the rest of the way, what will that team look like next year? Warner? Boldin? And KSmith? Not bad, but not great.

Couldn't you have traded Portis over the offseason, or early next year?

Seems more like a knee jerk reaction to me.

I'm not in any keeper leagues, so maybe I just don't get the strategy involved here.

It seems like you're sacrificing this year for next. None of your RBs are anything special: DWill has to share with Stewart going forward, and how will this shake out next year? Slaton has maybe hit a wall this year, but should be fine next year; Hightower has a brutal sked the rest of the way, what will that team look like next year? Warner? Boldin? And KSmith? Not bad, but not great.

Couldn't you have traded Portis over the offseason, or early next year?

Seems more like a knee jerk reaction to me.

Agreed. Dustin Keller, oy... RoadLizard, couldn't you have traded him in the offseason? Keller is useless to you as near as I can tell. Byes are done, you should have been fine with your WR core as is. Get a draft pick or something? :dunno:

As for strategies in keeper -- keeper leagues keep you interested even in a down year because you look forward to the future. Late in the year last year my team sucked, I ended up trading Hoosh for Portis. Other guy was on a run to the championship and Hoosh put him over the top. Portis >> Hoosh for long term value in keeper leagues. Nobody complained because long term it was a win-win.

I am a league commissioner who is very ethical and takes being commisioner very seriously. Here are my comments:

He is doing it because he thinks it will help him to win his league.

Is it unethical? As someone who studied ethics in college (long ago), and has a son who is a minister, I can say with some certainty it is not at all unethical.

It it against league rules? I haven't see his rules but having played in a lot of leagues, I've never seen a situation like this prohibited by league rules, so I'm betting the answer is no.

Is is one of the dumbest moves I've ever seen - especially in a keeper league? YES, YES, EMPHATICALLY YES

I respectfully disagree with your assesment and her is why.

as a Commish , the first question I always ask myself is .....IF I make this move ( any move) will it have the potential to harm the integrity of the league..... not whether it is ethical or within the rules or not.

example....lopsided trade with a bad owner.....

as comish it is certainly within my rights to rip off another owner when he is stupid. but then I ask myself, if I do this does it have the potential to harm the integrity of the league ? what happens down the line when a horrible trade that IS colusive happens?

the 2 owners come to you and say ....... well you traded so and so for a stud.we aren't doing anything that much worse. in that case you have the appearance of being two-faced. that is just an example ( and probably not a great one at that ) where you are perfectly within your rights to do something , yet it's not in the best interest of the league to do so.

also to your never seen a rule that prohibits dropping such a player, as I stated earlier, in free public leagues no cut lists are common....and Portis would surely be on tht list this year. in local leagues these rules are not common because the commish sees to it that people like Portis are not dropped.

If you are/were so sure that Portis would screw his owners cme playoff time. Then wouldn't you want him on a playoff team that you may have to face instead of a bottom feeder. I mean if you are/were so sure.

You add alot of reasons as to why you did it. I assume you are trying to convince yourself it was the right thing to do. To me all those reasons are pretty idiotic. I mean you couldn't find anyone else on your roster to drop?

Either way some one as smart as you who know Portis will screw his owner come playoff time. Should have been smart enough to trade him to a playoff team for a player who well, isn't going to screw said owner.

Dumping portis when you are competing for a championship of a keeper league with his roster?

This is not at all an "above reproach issue". He is not doing a fire-sale here. It is a stupidity issue.

I play in 4 leagues this year- 2 of them keepers. My league mates would not think less of him as a commissioner for this 'stunt', but boy would we rub his nose in it, particularly if it backfires (which it probably will).

It will become the standing joke at next year's draft. And probably for years to come.

I'm increasingly thinking this is a fishing expedition. Nobody drops Portis for Keller, not even in a special olympics league.

I'm increasingly thinking this is a fishing expedition. Nobody drops Portis for Keller, not even in a special olympics league.

:dunno: LOL Please, don't insult the PHYSICALLY handicapped like that.