Sign in to follow this  
RamslovaMartzhata

Rewind - Ed Hoculi's blown call - SD vs DEN

The beauty of the NFL is that every snap matters... with only 16 games to a season each play means something. Well if I was a Chargers fan... I would be livid with Ed Hoculi's blown call / incidental whistle that won the Bronco's the game in the week 2 match-up. There is no doubt about it, no gray area... it was a huge mistake by Hoculi that changed the outcome of a game... and could very easily cost the Chargers a playoff spot.

The Chargers are 6-8 and the Broncos are 8-6. The Chargers are 4-1 within their division, the Broncos are 3-2.

So if we switched things around, both teams would be tied at 7-7 and the Chargers would have the HEAVY advantage in getting in... only needing to either win one of their last two games. Win at Tampa, they would be in the postseason regardless of the outcome of their week 17 game vs Denver. Instead it is the Broncos who just needs to win one of their last two games in controlling their own fate.

Ummmm...no. You can't use today's records and say that all things would have been equal had 1 thing changed in the past. Plus, the ref didn't allow Royal to score and catch the 2 pt conversion.

This is a huge tragedy for the NFL this season. They will probably put him on the week 17 rematch if the game ends up meaning anything.....Chargers only have themselves to blame for so many bad loses this season, but the point you make is correct. LT21's time in San Diego is coming to an end.

The beauty of the NFL is that every snap matters... with only 16 games to a season each play means something. Well if I was a Chargers fan... I would be livid with Ed Hoculi's blown call / incidental whistle that won the Bronco's the game in the week 2 match-up. There is no doubt about it, no gray area... it was a huge mistake by Hoculi that changed the outcome of a game... and could very easily cost the Chargers a playoff spot.

The Chargers are 6-8 and the Broncos are 8-6. The Chargers are 4-1 within their division, the Broncos are 3-2.

So if we switched things around, both teams would be tied at 7-7 and the Chargers would have the HEAVY advantage in getting in... only needing to either win one of their last two games. Win at Tampa, they would be in the postseason regardless of the outcome of their week 17 game vs Denver. Instead it is the Broncos who just needs to win one of their last two games in controlling their own fate.

While the call was obviously blown I have no sympathy for San Diego in this situation.

What did SD do to cause Cutler to drop the ball. Nothing. There was no pass rush on the play, no reason for Cutler to drop the ball other than a fluke play where the ball slipped out of his hands. If you have to line your 11 guys on defense and say, lets hope he drops the ball so we can recover it to win the game then you really don't deserve the win and shouldn't really be complaining. I haven't heard the Baltimore complaining even though they got a similar shaft. The referees gave Pittsburgh a few inches on that last drive. Baltimore's defense gave up 91 yards.

Both were bad calls, but both teams had ample opportunity to not be in a situation where a call like that can cost them the game.

This will all be irrelevant after this week when Denver beats Buffalo and San Diego loses @ TB.

Blown call or not, a 6-8 team has no right even saying the word 'playoff'. Especially with their talent. They are teh disappointments of the year.

It's sad that either of those teams will be in the playoffs while at least two of the Jets, Dolphins, Pats and Ravens will be sitting at home with possibly 11 wins.

It's sad that either of those teams will be in the playoffs while at least two of the Jets, Dolphins, Pats and Ravens will be sitting at home.

Same with Arizona in the NFC. They'll get in while the Eagles or Falcons will probably be home. Two teams that could destroy Arizona (the Eagles already did...by 28).

It's sad that either of those teams will be in the playoffs while at least two of the Jets, Dolphins, Pats and Ravens will be sitting at home with possibly 11 wins.

The same Jets who lost to both the Broncos and the Chargers? And lost bad I might add.

The same Jets who lost to both the Broncos and the Chargers? And lost bad I might add.

The same Boncos who lost badly to Oakland, and to KC? That's kind of a non-starter.

Don't get me wrong, I hope the Jets are sitting at home. Focking Jauron! Focking Loserman! :overhead:

The same Boncos who lost badly to Oakland, and to KC? That's kind of a non-starter.

Don't get me wrong, I hope the Jets are sitting at home. Focking Jauron! Focking Loserman! :wall:

Yup...those Broncos (though, the Jets also lost to the Raiders)...if you go 1-3 vs the AFC West...you cannot whine when the winner of the AFC West gets to go to the playoffs.

By you...I don't mean you...i mean the Jets.

Chargers have under achieved the past couple years. No where to lay the blame but by looking in the mirror. They set this future in motion they day they chose Rivers over Brees.

Yup...those Broncos (though, the Jets also lost to the Raiders)...if you go 1-3 vs the AFC West...you cannot whine when the winner of the AFC West gets to go to the playoffs.

By you...I don't mean you...i mean the Jets.

Valid point.

Also I misspoke, the Jets and Dolphins won't both have 11 wins, they play each other.

This will all be irrelevant after this week when Denver beats Buffalo and San Diego loses @ TB.

If the correct call would have been made in week 2, even if the Chargers lost to TB and DEN beat BUF, the Chargers would still have made the playoffs if they beat Denver in the final game... so no.

All this nonsense of the Chargers should have won more games and blah blah blah... there's only 16 games, every game is huge. What their record is irrelevant, the winner of the division gets in. And IMO, despite their sub-par play... The Chargers are still are the best team in that division.

I know this is crying over spilt milk, but I am just pointing out that it was a momumental mistake at the moment... and it's even bigger now. Who knows what would have happened from then on out... the only thing we have to go by is what actually happened. And the way things are shaking out, that game is a big difference.

I know this is crying over spilt milk, but I am just pointing out that it was a momumental mistake at the moment... and it's even bigger now. Who knows what would have happened from then on out... the only thing we have to go by is what actually happened. And the way things are shaking out, that game is a big difference.

Yup, big mistake. But a bigger mistake was made by the Chargers D letting Royal score and then add the 2 pt conversion for the win. Let it go man, they created their own mess.

Yup, big mistake. But a bigger mistake was made by the Chargers D letting Royal score and then add the 2 pt conversion for the win. Let it go man, they created their own mess.

While that mistake by the D was bad.

If the correct call is made...they never have to worry about it.

And people talk about the mental aspects of the game...there are two schools of thought here...either you toughen up and stop them again...or you are completely deflated and give it up.

Yup, big mistake. But a bigger mistake was made by the Chargers D letting Royal score and then add the 2 pt conversion for the win. Let it go man, they and Ed Hoculi created their own mess (in that order).

Fixed. And I am not holding onto anything... I'm a Rams fan. I am just pointing out how big of a call it could be. Yes the Chargers have to blame themselves... but that doesn't change the fact that all things being equal, one blatantly bad call is all it takes to change everything.

Fixed. And I am not holding onto anything... I'm a Rams fan. I am just pointing out how big of a call it could be. Yes the Chargers have to blame themselves... but that doesn't change the fact that all things being equal, one blatantly bad call is all it takes to change everything.

If that game was played last week, there might be a bigger uproar about it. The season had just started and San Diego certainly had something to say about how things would end up.

Bottom line is, the 'stars' didn't produce like they should have and everyone from the coaching staff to the 'superstars' and overrated-name players down to the the long-snapper have severely underacheived this year. They're 6-8 and have more talent than three-quarters of the teams that will be in the playoffs.

I really think people are being overly critical on the Chargers. Just because they've lost close games and their stars haven't been producing fantasy stats like they did in the past doesn't mean that they have been a completely terrible football team... they have played tough all year, but unfortunately have come up short. People say things like "They had their chances," like they really f-ed up their own chances. Me... I see nothing but losses to playoff contenders.

Let's look at their 8 losses:

Week 1: vs CAR - by 2pts

Week 2: @ DEN - by 1 pt

Week 5: @ MIA - by 7 pts

Week 7: @ BUF - by 9 pts

Week 8: @ NO - by 5 pts

Week 11: @ PIT - by 1 pt

Week 12: vs IND - by 3 pts

Week 13: VS ATL - by 6 pts.

Now I'm not making excuses. They've won the games their supposed to win though. They have a couple of quality wins against the Jets and NE. Their only loss that came down to more than one score and against a team that isn't in playoff contention was against Buffalo, who was 4-1 at the time. I personally think they have played better football the the Broncos overall.

But IMO, one bad call is the difference between those two teams, plain and simple. And IMO, the better team is getting the very short end of the stick.

Sheesh get over it. That was week 2 and 6 charger losses ago. They've had plenty of time to recover.

Chargers have under achieved the past couple years. No where to lay the blame but by looking in the mirror. They set this future in motion they day they chose Rivers over Brees.

wow yah cause Rivers has been the problem when?

some people are just idiots and dont even look at stats.

Brees is only a better QB in FANTASY football, and even that is questionable at this point.

Brees was coming off a major shoulder surgery and the only way the could have kept him is by having 2 8mil+qb's on the roster.

Facts are annoying I understand this

COWBOY FAN?? Witten gets more targets then TO as well

Ultimate whine... one call half a season back cost us the playoffs.. No, poor play, bad running game, your top Defensive player out for the season, the rest of the D playing lousy. You can't stop the pass, your offense can't run consistently, your top offensive weapons are playing hurt (LT and Gates). Gates hasn't seen the end zone once since the BYE week. Your coach is a moron and you have one decent WR this year in Jackson, Chambers hasn't done a damned thing since week 2.

But you want to blame one blown call for your season?? Bunch of p*ssies. Nut up and win some games. If you want to think you belong in the playoffs, try beating a team that is over .500 which you have only done twice this season. You are in the worst division in the AFC, second only to the NFC West and that is debatable and you are under .500 yourself. That is YOUR fault.... anyone who thinks they should be in the playoffs is smoking crack.

Welcome to Norvland... the land of excuses, underachieving whiners with pit face innocence and ignorance.

Ok... Put it this way. Neither the Chargers nor the Broncos have played very good football this year, but one of them will make the playoffs regardless. That team could very easily be the Broncos... And it could very well be because of a blown call. This thread just isn't about the Chargers... It's just as much about the Broncos. Can anyone make an argument that the Broncos deserve to go more? I sure can't. The call was EXTREMELY bad at the time... I'm just remarking that it's extra bad now

I hope it does....put an end to blowing the play dead as quickly as they do....let the play run and review it afterward....

get some young former players in there as refs...

you can say the chargers had other chances later in the season...true..but we are talking THAT game..and like the tuck rule game...niners-gb playoff game..super bowl 40..chargers-steelers...it was 1 of those games that make you wonder how fixed things are....

...it was 1 of those games that make you wonder how fixed things are....

The ref went over and apologized to Turner. Was that part of the fix??

The truth is, there are missed calls and bad calls in EVERY football game. They are part of the game. Always will be.

The truth is, there are missed calls and bad calls in EVERY football game. They are part of the game. Always will be.

:dunno: What he said. Every NFL game I've watched always has at least one amazingly blown call that could potentially affect the outcome of a game and therefore the season.

This was just the most publicized. Rub some dirt on it and move on. Everyone else East of SD has a looong time ago.

Yeah, refs miss calls every week but this one is going to end up costing a team a playoff bid. Now don't get me wrong here, the chargers were one and done in the playoffs anyways so it won't matter. It does however hinge on the principals of the game. The chargers won that game and everyone including the NFL VP of officiating agree that Ed focked the call up. Even hochuli said he messed up and he apologized. Sadly most of the douchebags on this thread can't see the truth. The chargers got screwed.

If the correct call would have been made in week 2, even if the Chargers lost to TB and DEN beat BUF, the Chargers would still have made the playoffs if they beat Denver in the final game... so no.

All this nonsense of the Chargers should have won more games and blah blah blah... there's only 16 games, every game is huge. What their record is irrelevant, the winner of the division gets in. And IMO, despite their sub-par play... The Chargers are still are the best team in that division.

Im a AFC West junkie bro and belive me the chargers stink this year.....dont blame it on Hockee boy.....blame it on that GM of yours...its not crying over spilt milk....its just plain Crying

Ultimate whine... one call half a season back cost us the playoffs.. No, poor play, bad running game, your top Defensive player out for the season, the rest of the D playing lousy. You can't stop the pass, your offense can't run consistently, your top offensive weapons are playing hurt (LT and Gates). Gates hasn't seen the end zone once since the BYE week. Your coach is a moron and you have one decent WR this year in Jackson, Chambers hasn't done a damned thing since week 2.

But you want to blame one blown call for your season?? Bunch of p*ssies. Nut up and win some games. If you want to think you belong in the playoffs, try beating a team that is over .500 which you have only done twice this season. You are in the worst division in the AFC, second only to the NFC West and that is debatable and you are under .500 yourself. That is YOUR fault.... anyone who thinks they should be in the playoffs is smoking crack.

Welcome to Norvland... the land of excuses, underachieving whiners with pit face innocence and ignorance.

Ill second this post as well

A bad call, combined with seven seperate games that the Chargers couldn't win, have contributed to a non-playoff year.

Get better and come back next year.

I hope it does....put an end to blowing the play dead as quickly as they do....let the play run and review it afterward....

get some young former players in there as refs...

you can say the chargers had other chances later in the season...true..but we are talking THAT game..and like the tuck rule game...niners-gb playoff game..super bowl 40..chargers-steelers...it was 1 of those games that make you wonder how fixed things are....

I would not go as far as saying fixed. Just that refs make mistakes...and for once I agree with you. Let the play run in those instances. I thought they were trying to error on that side of things more recently...but did not in that case.