Sign in to follow this  
Super Cubs

What kind of RB would you pair up with Steve Slaton?

It no secret that the Texans want to get another RB to pair up Slaton. What kind of RB would you go for or who would you go for?

As a Texans fan I think we need a short yardage RB. Who can get the tough 2 yards needed to move the chains. Or I would not mind them making a play for Edge. If he would be willing to except his role as the #2 RB.

It no secret that the Texans want to get another RB to pair up Slaton. What kind of RB would you go for or who would you go for?

As a Texans fan I think we need a short yardage RB. Who can get the tough 2 yards needed to move the chains. Or I would not mind them making a play for Edge. If he would be willing to except his role as the #2 RB.

Eiter Ryan Torain, Michael Pittman, Selvin Young, Peyton Hillis. I don't really care as long as we can get him to Denver!

Honestly, a Brandon Jacobs type guy would fit the bill.

Maybe McGahee will become available.

Edge has come back to life this postseason, but he's at the point in his career where it could continue to slide downhill FAST. If that happens they might as well hang onto Ahman, or go get Alexander. I know Edge was a much better player, but still.

They don't need much, as I think Slaton can carry the majority of the load.

I'd love to see them take Shon Greene if he falls to them in round 2 or Rashad Jennings in Round 3. A power back is just what they need to complement Slaton. Jennings has better hands out of the backfield IMO.

Derrick Ward would be a good fit.

Wouldn't you think Ward would want to find a starting gig before being a backup again?

The Texans could use a big bruiser for short yardage, goalline carries.

a Lorenzo Neal type fullback. Slaton has proven he can do it all, get him a lead dog and set him loose.

Leave the kid alone. He can handle the load! If anything get a short yardage pack to pick up first downs.

Free Agents to consider:

Leonard Weaver- getting better as a lead blocker and only 26. Seattle will probably try to resign though.

Tony Richardson- 37 yrs. old but can still play

Lorenzo Neal- 38 yrs.old and LT2's production hurt when he left the Chargers.

Brad Hoover- decent blocker from the Panthers.

Draft Prospect:

Jorvorski Lane(Texas A&M)- 93 yds. on 35 carries with 5 td's as a senior. Can probably be gotten in the 5th round or later.

I think Slaton could benefit from a good lead blocker/short yardage guy. I think Weaver would be an excellant pickup but might be hard to get. Hoover could do the job . Tony R. has the experience and could help. I like this Lane kid and he's a monster at 285 lbs. Don't the Texans still have Vonta Leach and Cecil Sapp to plat FB? Doesn't look like either one of them are much. I still think Slaton can carry the load but a good FB would help him health wise and production wise. Not a whole lot to choose from as far as free agents so they might want to look at a FB in the draft.There's a couple more available than just Lane but I think he'd be a good choice.

Also like the rookie Rashad Jennings and they maybe able to get him in the 4th unless his draft stock rises then they'd have to grab him in the 3rd. He'll be well looked over at the combine.

Wouldn't you think Ward would want to find a starting gig before being a backup again?

I just dont see how any team gives a 30 y/o RB the starting gig.

Ward said on Rome is Burning recently that the Texans were on his list.

a Lorenzo Neal type fullback. Slaton has proven he can do it all, get him a lead dog and set him loose.

No Doubt, this kid is special.

Draft Prospect:

Jorvorski Lane(Texas A&M)- 93 yds. on 35 carries with 5 td's as a senior. Can probably be gotten in the 5th round or later.

Lane is a fat POS. He will be able to be had as a UDFA sideshow.

Brad Hoover was a good one. Very underrated, versatile big runner.

I'd love to see them take Shonn Greene if he falls to them in round 2 or Rashad Jennings in Round 3. A power back is just what they need to complement Slaton. Jennings has better hands out of the backfield IMO.

This what I was thinking as well. Greene's stock has dropped a bit. If they can get him in the mid 2nd round he could be a nice compliment to Slaton. He has good power and ran in a pro-style zone blocking offense at Iowa, which could make Houston a good fit. The two main knocks on him are going to be a lack of top-end speed and the fact that he didn't catch the ball out of the backfield much at Iowa, but he has the skill-set to be the thunder to Slaton's lightning...