Sign in to follow this  
ToadSprocket

!@#$%^&*()_!@$#%&^(*)!(*@#*&$%^

So a couple weeks ago our boss says we need to make some cutbacks at work. Maybe lay off 5-6 people. Unless someone has any ideas. Someone suggested that some volunteers might take a week off with only 20% salary that week.

Four agreed to bitr the bullet of which I was one.

Remember, I went to Florida on a drunken Spring Training mini vacation.

Well, last Monday our boss calls everybody into the conference room and says we HAVE TO lay off 4 people and the only ones who seem capable of handling it are the ones who took the voluntary week off. ME!

Now I'm unemployed. And believe me the $ 330 a week on unemployment comes nowhere near my salary.

!@#$%^&*()@$^*!#%&(

:mad:

And my wife is like :shocking:

Never volunteer to help a company out. NEVER!

That sucks. Hang in there man.

Paul Thorn - Its a Great Day

...so here i am out in the parking lot

just waiting by his Corvette

i'm gonna give him a goodbye present that he never will forget

Cuz it's a great day for me to whup somebody's azz

it's a bad day so you better get off my back

you might get cold cocked if you cross my path

cuz it's a great day for me to whup somebody's azz

That sucks. Hang in there man.

Paul Thorn - Its a Great Day

...so here i am out in the parking lot

just waiting by his Corvette

i'm gonna give him a goodbye present that he never will forget

Cuz it's a great day for me to whup somebody's azz

it's a bad day so you better get off my back

you might get cold cocked if you cross my path

cuz it's a great day for me to whup somebody's azz

:shocking:

My only problem is I couldn't even kick my wife's ass.

Of course I was drunk and she was pretty mad.

Burn that place to the ground......

They won't let me back on the grounds. :shocking:

Ohhh dayam, they have some experience firing peoples I see.... :mad:

I managed a HVAC operation.

Ok, first thing, it sucks. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to change it. Time to start putting a plan together to get you rehired.

How far along were you in your career? Newly graduated/hands on? or Senior Manager? Are you on Linkedin? Are you willing to relocate?

1. Update your resume

2. Update your status on linkedin and facebook to indicate you are looking (the more people that know about it, the better. They can help!)

3. Make a list of the companies you want to work for

4. Search for jobs at those companies

5. Leverage you network on linkedin to find people inside those companies that might be able to "refer" you for the position (you get a job, and they might get a bonus)

6. Use places like Monster, Careerbuilder, indeed,...to do the same searching. (Then use linkedin as above)

7. Make some relationships with a couple of recruiters, they may also have contacts inside those companies.

The name of the game is networking. Take as many phone calls, coffee meetings, or lunch meetings as you can.

Ok, first thing, it sucks. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to change it. Time to start putting a plan together to get you rehired.

How far along were you in your career? Newly graduated/hands on? or Senior Manager? Are you on Linkedin? Are you willing to relocate?

1. Update your resume

2. Update your status on linkedin and facebook to indicate you are looking (the more people that know about it, the better. They can help!)

3. Make a list of the companies you want to work for

4. Search for jobs at those companies

5. Leverage you network on linkedin to find people inside those companies that might be able to "refer" you for the position (you get a job, and they might get a bonus)

6. Use places like Monster, Careerbuilder, indeed,...to do the same searching. (Then use linkedin as above)

7. Make some relationships with a couple of recruiters, they may also have contacts inside those companies.

The name of the game is networking. Take as many phone calls, coffee meetings, or lunch meetings as you can.

Well the wife and kids won't starve. I don't want to lose the board sympathy but my wife's mother/father died about 2 years ago and we have a few bucks stashed away.

As far as work, I was making 6 figures and have been offered a job at a 40% cut in pay in D.C. My wife will not move into town.

I have networking associates way out in Virginia but again it's no sure thing and 40% cut in pay.

Since we do have a few bucks set aside, I don't know about major relocation.

I'm just mad as hell that I took that time off.

My networking contacts are working for me right now. We'll see.

BTW thanks for your concern and advice. Appreciate it.

Sorry to hear it man. It especially sucks that they axed the 4 people who seemed very loyal and willing to sacrifice for the company. Seems like they could have chosen better criteria like, uh, who the best workers are or who had most seniority. Good luck finding a job quickly.

honestly, this is the new way companies treat their employees. my company is heading down a road where they are essentially forcing us to relocate at our own expense. being told they want to centralize support in two locations. nevermind that everyone of us does remote support at sites all over north america and now europe/asia. we can literally do our work from anywhere but are being told that if we don't move, our jobs will go away. so i may have to lose 60k between the moving cost, realtors fees (providing I can even sell it) and the loss of value on my house that is only 12 months old to begin with. and i will have no guarantee of continued employment when/if I move. my thought, i'd rather be unemployed with that 60k still "mine" in the town where i live and grew up and know people and have connections than unemployed 1200 miles from here with no home of my own. fockin company is forcing us to choose: sell your house in the worst housing market in recent history OR be unemployed in the worst employment market in recent history. And they did the same thing...would anybody be willing to reduce their salary so that layoffs don't happen, and nobody would, because we all know that we'll get less $$$ AND the fockers will still cut people. and it's only gonna get worse....I feel for you man.

I managed a HVAC operation.

Trane, York, Carrier, or a smaller operation?