Sign in to follow this  
mdm_1971

Who Does Cutler Throw To?

Now that it looks like Cutler is going to the Bears who in the world does he throw to? do they now try to make a run at getting Holt? do they draft 1? to me i dont see much upsidae with cutler in Chicago because they lack weapons beside Forte

If any of the last few years is any evidence (and it is), Olsen should be a top target for Cutler.

Now that it looks like Cutler is going to the Bears who in the world does he throw to? do they now try to make a run at getting Holt? do they draft 1? to me i dont see much upsidae with cutler in Chicago because they lack weapons beside Forte

They drafted a WR in the second round last season.

As a Bears fan, I am happy. They surely need to upgrade the WR position, but now at least they have a guy that can get guys the ball.

Cutler is not perfect, but .........................neither were the Bears. Thedy had to have a QB.

What alien invaded Angelo's body? This is very unlike him!

Should be good news for Greg Olsen.

Now they just need to sign Marvin Harrison and Torry Holt, right? That offense will be a juggernaut. :thumbsdown:

yeah i agree they have to make a serious run at holt and if that fails then Harrison but if they can get one of those guys with Olsen, hester and Forte they may be pretty good.........

yeah i agree they have to make a serious run at holt and if that fails then Harrison but if they can get one of those guys with Olsen, hester and Forte they may be pretty good.........

I was kinda joking about the Holt and Harrison thing, but I guess it couldn't hurt if they went after one of them. But most seem to think Harrison is washed up. I'd like to think Holt still has something left in his tank though. That drop-off in production from him last year was pretty surprising.

I was kinda joking about the Holt and Harrison thing, but I guess it couldn't hurt if they went after one of them. But most seem to think Harrison is washed up. I'd like to think Holt still has something left in his tank though. That drop-off in production from him last year was pretty surprising.

thats because the rams offense was so putrid and they couldn't draw doubles off Holt. If he lands in the right situation he should have 2-3 solid years left.

but im not sure Chicago is the righ situation.

I think Olsen benefits the most from this. Hester doesn't strike me as the kind of WR whose value is going to go up that much because of a new QB. I realize Jay has a strong arm so i guess that im saying is Hester isn't that great of a WR.

This was probably an added bonus for Josh McDaniels. Send Cutler to an NFC team that has no receivers.

Interesting notion regarding Bennett and Cutler's history together at Vanderbilt...During the one season they played together (2005, Bennett's first at Vandy), Bennett put up arguably his best statistical year, catching 79 balls and 9 tds...

Combine that with, if I am not mistaken, the fact that there has been quite a bit of talk the past couple of weeks regarding the "surprising" move of Bennett to number two on the depth chart at receiver opposite Hester...Coincidence maybe? Or, possible proof that the Bears were planning for some time to make a move for Cutler and were attempting to groom his former running mate to be "ready and in position" to take on a significant role in a Cutler-led passing attack?

While there is still plenty of time for things to shake out differently, I'll go out on a limb and say that Bennett will morph into this year's "sexy, under the radar pick" over the next few months and get alot of (unproven at this point) run from the "experts" as THE late round receiver to steal.

This is huge for Olsen.

Earl Bennett? Really? The guy didn't record a single reception in 10 games played last year, and now all of a sudden he's a viable option in that offense? Orton's bad, but not so bad that the guy couldn't catch a ball or two.

Maybe the guy struggled with injuries or something but it's extremely rare to not catch a single pass one year to lighting it up the next.

What about Chicago's O-line? Offensive tackle ain't exactly a strong suit.

While I'm glad the Vikes didn't mortgage their future for the guy, I'm not exactly pleased he found his way to a division rival.

Olsen and Forte only passing option he's got. They should go for Holt

Mark my words - you guys are wrong about Hester. He improved his receiving game immensely last year from the beginning of the year to the end. He has started to learn how to play WR at the NFL level. His release from the LOS has improved, his route running has improved, and he has learned how to 'sell' a route so that a defender will bite.

I had him targeted as a late round sleeper pick before this trade based on what I saw the last few games of 2008. Now I will target him much earlier and, believe me, he WILL be a 3rd year playmaker at WR.

I'd like to see the Bears snag Robiskie in round 2 to give the Bears a big possession target and I'm not really sold on Earl Bennett to step up his game.

But there is no reason why the Bears can't have a quality passing game this fall.

IMO Holt has very little if anything left in the tank - da Bears would be wise to pass on him.

The afternoon espn radio guys here in chicago mentioned that the bears had holt on their radar. I think it would be a great addition to go along with Olsen, Forte and Hester(I am not a fan of him but having a real wr opposite could take the heat off of him so he can run deeper type routes)

I am a bit skeptical that this was just an attempt for radio guys to fill air time with "what ifs" since I can't see the bears spending any more money after the big splash with cutler and signing pace.

The Bears were 25th in Passing Yards per game and tied for 16th in passing TDs.

Who is to say Cutler can't turn them into a respectable passing team.... ranking in the middle of the league in both?

Who is to say Cutler can't turn them into a respectable passing team

Who is to say he can? His only claim to fame is that he throws a rocket, but he's not terribly effective at decision making considering his TD-INT ratio. Only Brett Favre threw more interceptions last year. In Denver, Cutler benefited from playing in a pass-friendly system for a coaching staff which knew how to run an offense while he had guys like Brandon Marshall to throw to. In Chicago he loses all of that. The Bears have no receivers, no pass protection, no pass-friendly system (exactly the opposite), and the list goes on for the worse. You don't need a rocket arm to throw dump passes to a running back.

People use to criticize Michael Jordan because he just scored a lot and nothing else. Never even got far in the playoffs...6 championships later people changed their opinions. Same goes for Cutler. Even if he never wins a Super Bowl, he has the ability to win a championship and people could tell that if you have a fockin' clue when you watch him play.

Well, the Bears gave up what they did for him for a reason. It wasn't so he could run the offense the same way Orton did. That said, the Bears could use a few more targets for him to throw to. Right now it sounds like their relying on Greg Olson, Devin Hester, and I guess Earl Bennett.

The fact the Bears lean a little more heavily on the ground game then the Broncos have recently could help keep Cutler's INT's down as well.

It's not the greatest situation for Cutler's fantasy owners, but if he's as good as touted he should be able to crack the Top 10 fantasy QBs this year. Well, off the top of my head I'm thinking he should. By the time the season starts I might have to rethink that.

Who is to say he can? His only claim to fame is that he throws a rocket, but he's not terribly effective at decision making considering his TD-INT ratio. Only Brett Favre threw more interceptions last year. In Denver, Cutler benefited from playing in a pass-friendly system for a coaching staff which knew how to run an offense while he had guys like Brandon Marshall to throw to. In Chicago he loses all of that. The Bears have no receivers, no pass protection, no pass-friendly system (exactly the opposite), and the list goes on for the worse. You don't need a rocket arm to throw dump passes to a running back.

HE JUST FINISHED HIS 3rd YEAR IN THE LEAGUE and MADE THE PRO BOWL.

what don't you get?

Did you think Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal would be 1000 yard WRs?

In your fantasy league you will down grade both because they do not have Cutler and have Orton. Hence Cutler will do more with these WRs than Orton did. Leading to my point that he should and in my opinion can make their passing attack respectable.

Earl Bennett is the new Brandon Marshall

How many times did Earl get arrested? :dunno:

HE JUST FINISHED HIS 3rd YEAR IN THE LEAGUE and MADE THE PRO BOWL

what don't you get?

* every year he throws more interceptions than the last

* he has never lead a team to a winning record, much less the playoffs

* his attitude stinks...he's a spoiled primma donna if ever there was one

...what don't YOU get?!

He got his stats playing for an offensive guru in a pass-happy offense, but that's all gone. The negatives remain, however, and now they're Chicago's problem to deal with.

HE JUST FINISHED HIS 3rd YEAR IN THE LEAGUE and MADE THE PRO BOWL.

what don't you get?

Did you think Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal would be 1000 yard WRs?

In your fantasy league you will down grade both because they do not have Cutler and have Orton. Hence Cutler will do more with these WRs than Orton did. Leading to my point that he should and in my opinion can make their passing attack respectable.

Who gives a fock!

Brett Focking Favre made the Pro Bowl, and Phillip Rivers didn't. Not exactly the surest measure of a player's ability, nor the season he had.

And who's to say Orton won't make Marshall and Royal into great receivers? I mean, if he throws the ball 600 times like Cutler did somebody's gotta catch the ball. Right?

I just don't get how people are so quick to transfer Cutler's skills (and he has them, nobody's arguing otherwise) to the Bears when there's a huge difference in the offensive philosophy/personnel between the two teams.

Brett Focking Favre made the Pro Bowl, and Phillip Rivers didn't. Not exactly the surest measure of a player's ability, nor the season he had.

Exactly.

Like this, for instance::

---2008 season stats + (NFL ranks)---

DeAngelo Williams:

Rushing yards: 1,515 (3rd)

Touchdowns: 18 (1st)

Yards Per Carry: 5.5

Clinton Portis:

Rushing Yards: 1,487 (4th)

Touchdowns: 9 (13th)

Yards Per Carry: 4.3

...and guess who made the Pro Bowl of those two?

* every year he throws more interceptions than the last

* he has never lead a team to a winning record, much less the playoffs

The Broncos poor defensive play is part of the reason for both of the above statements. But it is true, he does need to cut his INTs down.

The Broncos poor defensive play is part of the reason for both of the above statements. But it is true, he does need to cut his INTs down.

I point out those negatives because we have Cutler nuts who seem to think he is, as one poster wrote, "awesome, brilliant, and talented". I just want the discussion to be more rational. He's got a great arm, but he's nowhere near what his fans are propping him up to be. It's important to bring facts into the equation because they form their opinions based on their emotions.

I laughed out loud when I read someone claim he was awesome, brilliant, and talented. If they're willing to say that about Jay focking Cutler, a young prima donna who hasn't done **** in this league, what's left to say favorably about the REAL brilliant, awesome, and talented ones? If you blow your wad describing Cutler that way, how do you praise guys like Manning or Brady?

Who gives a fock!

And who's to say Orton won't make Marshall and Royal into great receivers? I mean, if he throws the ball 600 times like Cutler did somebody's gotta catch the ball. Right?

I just don't get how people are so quick to transfer Cutler's skills (and he has them, nobody's arguing otherwise) to the Bears when there's a huge difference in the offensive philosophy/personnel between the two teams.

Manning his Rookie year through how many Ints?

Young QBs can get better at learning to win and protect the ball.

He can't improve to you guys. I get it. 3rd year is it. There is no better Jay Cutler in the future. You guys are right.

I posted this in the other thread, but Cutler deserves some of the blame for Denver's 8 losses. In those games he threw 8 TDs and 13 ints. In the final three games, when Denver desparately needed just one win to secure a playoff spot, Cutler threw 2 TDs to 4 ints and had a passer rating of about 73. AWESOME!

Seems to me Denver's up and down season wasn't all their defense's fault.

I point out those negatives because we have Cutler nuts who seem to think he is, as one poster wrote, "awesome, brilliant, and talented". I just want the discussion to be more rational. He's got a great arm, but he's nowhere near what his fans are propping him up to be. It's important to bring facts into the equation because they form their opinions based on their emotions.

I laughed out loud when I read someone claim he was awesome, brilliant, and talented. If they're willing to say that about Jay focking Cutler, a young prima donna who hasn't done **** in this league, what's left to say favorably about the REAL brilliant, awesome, and talented ones? If you blow your wad describing Cutler that way, how do you praise guys like Manning or Brady?

:dunno: Fair enough...

I like Cutler, but I also realize the team he was on played a part in how his stats piled up. Now that he's in Chicago though were gonna find out just how good (or bad) he really is.

To keep things fair though, it's not like anyone should expect him to accomplish in Chicago what he had in Denver during his first year with the Bears. Not when you take into account what is currently surrounding him in terms of offensive weapons.

He won't be able to afford throwing as many picks in Chicago though as he did in Denver. If he does that with the Bears they likely won't even sniff the playoffs.

Manning his Rookie year through how many Ints?

Young QBs can get better at learning to win and protect the ball.

He can't improve to you guys. I get it. 3rd year is it. There is no better Jay Cutler in the future. You guys are right.

But there's no guarantee to his improvement either. Especially considering he now plays on a team with lesser offensive talent. How can you be so certain you're right, and others wrong? Also, with Manning, he started to throw fewer interceptions in subsequent years. Cutler is throwing more. At least I substantiate my opinion with facts.

Do you have a mancrush on the guy?

Seriously, you sound deeply offended that anyone would see things differently than yourself.

Man, I feel bad now. Fine. I guess Cutler could throw for 5,000 yards 39 TDs and 6 ints. (Move over Maddox!) The Bears will break the single season scoring record, and will go 19-0. All because of Cutler.

If there was a Greatest QB ever with Diabetes in our World's Greatest Draft, I would definitely pick Cutler.

:dunno:

But there's no guarantee to his improvement either. Especially considering he now plays on a team with lesser offensive talent. How can you be so certain you're right, and others wrong? Also, with Manning, he started to throw fewer interceptions in subsequent years. Cutler is throwing more. At least I substantiate my opinion with facts.

Do you have a mancrush on the guy?

Seriously, you sound deeply offended that anyone would see things differently than yourself.

Man, I feel bad now. Fine. I guess Cutler could throw for 5,000 yards 39 TDs and 6 ints. (Move over Maddox!) The Bears will break the single season scoring record, and will go 19-0. All because of Cutler.

If there was a Greatest QB ever with Diabetes in our World's Greatest Draft, I would definitely pick Cutler.

:dunno:

You are a dumb fock.

:dunno: Fair enough...

I like Cutler, but I also realize the team he was on played a part in how his stats piled up. Now that he's in Chicago though were gonna find out just how good (or bad) he really is.

To keep things fair though, it's not like anyone should expect him to accomplish in Chicago what he had in Denver during his first year with the Bears. Not when you take into account what is currently surrounding him in terms of offensive weapons.

He won't be able to afford throwing as many picks in Chicago though as he did in Denver. If he does that with the Bears they likely won't even sniff the playoffs.

Excellent post! I'm also a huge J.C. believer. At Denver he didn't have the luxury of being a game manager type QB. The stat that stands out to me is that he was something like 18-1 when Denver's D held the opposition to 22 pts or less.

I'd love to see one more weapon and as I stated previously, I think someone like Robiskie would be the perfect addition. But he has a very good receiver at RB, two quality TEs in Des Clark and Olsen, and a burner in Hester who is just starting to tap his potential as a stretch-the-field WR.

So I believe we'll see a more balanced Cutler at QB who could have a great year at Chicago. His fantasy stats might drop just a little, but so will his ints. I agree that he should continue to be a top 10 fantasy QB.

I don't put any stock at all in the 'Cutler primadonna' crap. I think the Championship window is open in Chicago.

Back on point though, I have to think Greg Olsen moves way up, possibly becoming Jay Cutler's #1 option when it's all said and done. I'm not a believer in any of Chicago's so-called wide receivers and Olsen is at least a talented receiver in his own right. Not to mention Cutler will be learning a new system, playing in a new city, etc, with a ton of expectations; we all know how great a safety valve those Tight Ends can be for quarterbacks still learning the ropes. Olsen will also be entering his third season, a time when most receivers really start to "get it" and find ways to get open in the NFL. If Olsen breaks out this year as he should, Jay certainly has the cannon to get him the ball down the field.

Yah, I love how everybody is just completely overlooking the potential of Earl Bennett, not to mention Brandon Lloyd played pretty well when he was healthy. I'm still a little unconvinced about Hester, but he has been getting better at WR and he'll definitely stretch the defense, all while not even mentioning what Greg Olsen and Desmond Clark can do in the short game. Anyone who pays attention to football knows that Cutler knows how to find his Tight End (Scheffler).

Having said that I would like to see the Bears go get Torry "Big Game" Holt. He's still got at least 2 years in him while the Bears look for another guy, and maybe we could go draft a safety with our #2 pick instead of a WR. That would tie right in the with Orlando Pace pickup. Would give each of them a familiar face in the locker room, and just help out the offense immensely.

I posted this in the other thread, but Cutler deserves some of the blame for Denver's 8 losses. In those games he threw 8 TDs and 13 ints. In the final three games, when Denver desparately needed just one win to secure a playoff spot, Cutler threw 2 TDs to 4 ints and had a passer rating of about 73. AWESOME!

Seems to me Denver's up and down season wasn't all their defense's fault.

You can throw the stats out there, but the truth of the matter is that a QB will throw more INTs when his team is down because he is taking chances to get his team back in the game that he wouldn't normally tak in other situations. In the game you use as your example, Cutler's 1st pick came towards the end of the 1st half with his team down 24 - 6. That sounds more like the defense failed, putting him in the type of situation described above...