Sign in to follow this  
mambokings

Is Jay Cutler destined to become the next Jeff George?

Like George, Cutler has a rocket arm.

Like George, Cutler has a sense of entitlement.

Like George, Cutler throws a lot of interceptions.

Like George, Cutler doesn't win much in the NFL.

Like George, Cutler has a lot of growing up to do.

Like George, Cutler knows how to wear out a welcome.

With the Bears having so many holes to fill, they'll remain a sub-par franchise over the next several years. How soon before Cutler gets pissy and winds up playing for yet another team? Jeff George, by his own actions, was doomed to become a perennial journeyman, a QB with talent who could never close the deal. Jay Cutler seems to be charting the same course. He won't get it done in Chicago, for many reasons, making a third team in his future very likely; it's not a question of if, but when.

Here's an eerie footnote, courtesy of the Washington Times:

"Consider: When the Colts traded George, a former first overall pick in the draft, to Atlanta in 1994, he was 26, the same age Cutler will be in a few weeks. He had also exhibited, while in Indianapolis, much of the me-me-me attitude Cutler has shown in Denver. But the foolish Falcons were still willing to give up two No. 1s and a No. 3 for him, convinced the kid's talent would eventually trump all."

- and what did the Bears give up for Cutler, under the same pretense? Just as the Falcons had given up for George, two No. 1s and a No. 3

:unsure:

Ladies and Gentlemen, you're entering the wondrous dimension of imagination. Next stop...The Twilight Zone.

I can see the comparisons. But regarding Cutler's attitude I don't recall anyone speaking poorly of it until this offseason. Once it started, everyone just kept piling on him. So that in mind, I don't think he's going to follow the same path George did.

Now, speaking of Jeff George, it's funny you mention him. I just read an article about him a week ago or so in which he claims if he was on the Vikings he'd win a Super Bowl with em right now. :unsure:

Here's an article mentioning this just so no one thinks I'm making it up.

I want whatever Jeff George is smoking

The former NFL quarterback told Yahoo.com and the St. Paul Pioneer Press in separate interviews Friday that he'd have had a Super Bowl ring with the Vikings by now ... if only he'd been given a chance by head coach Brad Childress.

"There's no doubt about it," George said in an interview with the Pioneer Press on Friday afternoon. "Because of the type of defensive personnel they have, and when you have an Adrian Peterson ... you line him up with a veteran quarterback, who knows where to go with the ball, it's an unstoppable combination."

In a story posted earlier Friday, George told Yahoo.com that, if he were playing for the Vikings, "I guarantee I'd be wearing a ring right now."

"There's no question I could do the same things they did, at a minimum price," George said. "I don't care about my age. I can still do the same things I did when I was 25. I'm so used to throwing against five, six, seven DBs. With (Adrian) Peterson, it's about the running game. Play-action passes will give you all the time to throw."

I didn't catch his "I can still do the same things I did when I was 25" comment the last time though. :huh:

I also heard that George is still barking up Minnesota's tree for a chance to play, but remember what happened two years ago when he tried it?

Back in '07, Brad Childress had this to say when asked whether he’d be interested in George and whether he thought George was on the downside of his career:

“Probably maybe go to a fantasy camp or something like that"

"Downside would probably be - I think - kind.”

Ouch :unsure:

Why would you insult Jeff George like this. :music_guitarred:

Like George, Cutler has a rocket arm. - Agree

Like George, Cutler has a sense of entitlement. - Agree

Like George, Cutler throws a lot of interceptions. - I'm reserving judgement on this, its hard to criticize the kid based two seasons , the first where he was a rookie and the second where there was no threat in the running game and no defense to allow the offense to be conservative. Denver had to score 30+ to win and Cutler had to be the one to do it.

Like George, Cutler doesn't win much in the NFL - Again, same issue, not many rookie QB's do win (I know Flacco, Ryan, and Roth have done it but more often than not if you are starting a rookie QB you aren't expecting to win a lot of games). Last year Cutler wasn't the reason for Denver losing games, the Defense was.

Like George, Cutler has a lot of growing up to do. - Agree

Like George, Cutler knows how to wear out a welcome. - Hard to argue at this point...

I think a lot of athletes take some time to mature in the NFL. Look at Antonio Bryant, all the talent in the world but it took him several years to finally get that talent is everywhere in the NFL and you actually have to work at it to excel. If Cutler ever figures that out he could be one of the best to play the game. He's got an arm you'd compare to Favre or Elway. If he can ever mature into that kind of leader, the Bears will easily justify their trade. If he doesn't grow up I'm afraid the comparisons to George will continue...

I think a lot of athletes take some time to mature in the NFL. Look at Antonio Bryant, all the talent in the world but it took him several years to finally get that talent is everywhere in the NFL and you actually have to work at it to excel. If Cutler ever figures that out he could be one of the best to play the game. He's got an arm you'd compare to Favre or Elway. If he can ever mature into that kind of leader, the Bears will easily justify their trade. If he doesn't grow up I'm afraid the comparisons to George will continue...

The problem with Cutler is that he is a big baby. He will always be a mamma's boy and NEVER live up to his potential.

His parents still follow him around to every city he goes to. When he sells his house they sell theirs. He will sit and pout in Chi Town for the next four or five years and be a shell of the QB his is today.

the trade isn't without risk, no question. it's still a chance i'd take if i were the bears...but, yeah, i've also noted the similarities between cutler and george.

This whole argument is ridiculous. Cutler almost got a team into the playoffs with no defence and no running game. Flacco - good running game and dominant defence. Ryan - great running game and good defence. Cutler was forced to try to win every game by himself. I think Denver got fair compensation, but I still think this will go down as one of the greatest trades for the Bears of all time. How many Superbowls did Peyton win early in his career? But I guess he was the same as Jeff George too.

Cutler almost got a team into the playoffs with no defence and no running game. Cutler was forced to try to win every game by himself.

I've heard this argument several times now. No defense? Couldn't agree more. No running game? Let's check the numbers:

Yards per game - 116.4 (12th)

Yards per attempt - 4.8 (2nd - tie)

Rushing touchdowns - 15 (14th - tie)

Attempts per game - 24.2 (28th)

As you can see, when the Broncos ran it, they did quite well (tied for second in yards/attempt). But their defense put them behind the eight ball so frequently that they were forced to abandon the run (28th in attempts), which led to middle of the road productions (12th in yardage, 14th in TD's). Their run game was effective last year (though playing running back for Denver replaced North Sea fisherman as the most dangerous job in the world), but they were simply not in a position where they could capitalize on it.

Jeff George never in all of his years in the NFL has come close to playing at the level Cutler has in 2.5 years. Cutler's on-field play at this point blows away what John Elway did in his first 10 years.

Jeff George never in all of his years in the NFL has come close to playing at the level Cutler has in 2.5 years. Cutler's on-field play at this point blows away what John Elway did in his first 10 years.

yet in the prime of his (george's career), he was passed around the league like a $5 hooker. he had great stat years in atlanta...minny...even washington. couldn't stick anywhere. it goes beyond talent and stats...i think that's what the premise of this thread is. no one is arguing culter has physical talent.

that said, i think "destined" is too strong of a word...there are some red flags with cutler, yes, but i'm not writing him off...just noticing the red flags.

Yes, yes and and a definite YES! He's a big game loser! Yes, we know the defense was bad but there have been several games in the past years where all the Bronx had to do was win one game to get in the playoffs and Jeff George Jr. failed. I go back to the SF game two years ago and the Buffalo game last year and he choked. I believe he will never be a big game quarterback. Bears fans will be booing him off the field before years end.

Obviously there is some risk that goes along with Cutler. He definitely seems like he needs to mature a bit. That said, there is a big difference between Jay Cutler and players like Jeff George who can't even get a gig - he might have acted like a baby, but he's a fierce competitor who teammates respect. That is what Jeff George never had, the respect of his teammates. You take an attitude like he and Cutler have and pile on the fact that the teammates and coaches can't stand the person, and there isn't going to be anyone who can justify signing them. Jeff George really is on a whole different level.

I went to college where the Vikes hold their training camp back in the day when George played there. One of my friends worked for the school and part of what he did was work the cafeteria in the dorm tower where the Vikings woule eat. George was so despised by his teammates that the guy ate by himself every day. Denny sat with him about the first week and after that, he would go to the opposite end of the cafeteria as the rest of the team and eat alone. You would see those guys out all the time while they were in training camp. You'd run into guys like John Randle at the gas station doing swim moves around the customers, etc., Jeff George wouldn't even acknowledge anyone who said something to him. The guy was just that much of a ######. Cutler doesn't strike me as that bad, he just acted like a baby and got all pissy when he found out he was potentially being shopped.

John Elway IS a hall of fame QB, Cutler is a big baby, Denver listened to an offer for Matt Cassel and his feelings got hurt, boo frickity hoo

Like George, Cutler throws a lot of interceptions. - I'm reserving judgement on this, its hard to criticize the kid based two seasons , the first where he was a rookie and the second where there was no threat in the running game and no defense to allow the offense to be conservative. Denver had to score 30+ to win and Cutler had to be the one to do it.

Like George, Cutler doesn't win much in the NFL - Again, same issue, not many rookie QB's do win (I know Flacco, Ryan, and Roth have done it but more often than not if you are starting a rookie QB you aren't expecting to win a lot of games). Last year Cutler wasn't the reason for Denver losing games, the Defense was.

Like George, Cutler knows how to wear out a welcome. - Hard to argue at this point...

I thought Cutler said his arm was better than Elway's arm.

Cutler is at a crossroads in his career. He came into the league with a swagger, and has had some exchanges with Phil Rivers that were immature on both sides. The last few months have really caused the biggest chip to his reputation.

I think he came off as a whiny little lady. Whatever you think about it, McDaniels didn't draft the kid, and it is understandable that he would at least listen to an offer involving one of his boys. Personally, I would rather have Cutler as my QB, but familiarity is a big thing in this league. Bottom line is the trade didn't happen. This league is a business, and no place for sensitive, delicate feelings.

Cutler had every right to be like "whoa whoa WHAT?!?!" However, McDaniels, Bowlen and co. seemed like they were doing everything possible to mend the fences and move forward. Cutler was the one who decided to act like a jilted lover. Partially in his defense, I'm sure his agent played a very big role in his standoff, it would be naive to think any differently.

I don't know if Cutler will go down the Jeff George path. I don't know if he's THAT self-centered. With his talent, I would have loved to see him playing for the Hawks, though I wouldn't have been down with trading 2 first round picks, and with his age and back issues I don't think Denver would be too hot on Matt Hasselbeck. Time will tell if he has the attitude and leadership to steer a contender. The Bears still have a lot of work to do on their team, and have traded away some nice building blocks. Like I said in another thread, I think this traded looks good for Chicago for about two seasons, and if the Broncs keep drafting wisely it'll ultimately turn in their favor.

In the short term, the biggest loser in all of this are Bronco fans, who now have to watch Kyle Orton play behind center for them. Its not even 100% if he can beat Chris Simms for the starting gig.

Cutler is at a crossroads in his career. He came into the league with a swagger, and has had some exchanges with Phil Rivers that were immature on both sides. The last few months have really caused the biggest chip to his reputation.

I think he came off as a whiny little lady. Whatever you think about it, McDaniels didn't draft the kid, and it is understandable that he would at least listen to an offer involving one of his boys. Personally, I would rather have Cutler as my QB, but familiarity is a big thing in this league. Bottom line is the trade didn't happen. This league is a business, and no place for sensitive, delicate feelings.

Cutler had every right to be like "whoa whoa WHAT?!?!" However, McDaniels, Bowlen and co. seemed like they were doing everything possible to mend the fences and move forward. Cutler was the one who decided to act like a jilted lover. Partially in his defense, I'm sure his agent played a very big role in his standoff, it would be naive to think any differently.

I don't know if Cutler will go down the Jeff George path. I don't know if he's THAT self-centered. With his talent, I would have loved to see him playing for the Hawks, though I wouldn't have been down with trading 2 first round picks, and with his age and back issues I don't think Denver would be too hot on Matt Hasselbeck. Time will tell if he has the attitude and leadership to steer a contender. The Bears still have a lot of work to do on their team, and have traded away some nice building blocks. Like I said in another thread, I think this traded looks good for Chicago for about two seasons, and if the Broncs keep drafting wisely it'll ultimately turn in their favor.

In the short term, the biggest loser in all of this are Bronco fans, who now have to watch Kyle Orton play behind center for them. Its not even 100% if he can beat Chris Simms for the starting gig.

i'm still not convinced the broncos don't take a qb early in the draft...sanchez would seem to be a good fit for what mcdaniels likes in a qb.

George played at Illinois. Cutler wanted to play at Illinois, but Turner pulled his scholarship. Cutler is now playing IN Illinois with Turner as his OC.

George had a secretary named Cutler. Cutler had a secretary named George.

Ok, I made the last one up. :thumbsdown:

As a Minny fan, I loved George except he did fumble rather easy. Moss even said he was his favorite QB he played with, well until he met Brady anyway.

George was perfect for Randy, frozen ropes into Randy's vacinity were automatic TD's. Think George was 9-1 that season with 20 some TD's and around 10 picks.

Does anyone see a pattern here:

Cunningham - best season of his career w/Moss

Culpepper - best season of his career w/Moss

George - best season of his career w/Moss

Brady - best season of his career w/Moss

Not many WR's can say they made so many QB's so good.

Ok.ok.ok.

I haven't posted on this board in months. I couldn't help myself.

This is by far the ignorant thread I have seen here in years.

Are you freaking kidding me?

Not one person here knows Jay Cutler or Jeff George.

No one person here has probably ever seen them each throw the ball in person.

The media paints a picture. Its always fabricated.

Stop bashing Cutler.

Hes our QB now.

Split milk smells like its souring.

Ok.ok.ok.

I haven't posted on this board in months. I couldn't help myself.

This is by far the ignorant thread I have seen here in years.

Are you freaking kidding me?

Not one person here knows Jay Cutler or Jeff George.

No one person here has probably ever seen them each throw the ball in person.

The media paints a picture. Its always fabricated.

Stop bashing Cutler.

Hes our QB now.

Split milk smells like its souring.

:thumbsdown:

English translation please

:thumbsdown:

what really bothers me is all the people saying Cutler is a huge baby. As if they have anything to base it off of prior to the McDaniels spat. What else did he do? throughout all these posts for months I have yet to see someone offer up an incident that happened prior to the Josh McDaniels trade talks.

now if he keeps up this attitude then sure, he could be just like Jeff George but until then.....

It's not just a technical issue, like getting Jay the weapons. It's an issue of character and leadership - neither of which Cutler possesses. He's a sulking baby, quick to blame anyone but himself. Every game I see him bitching and moaning, yelling at his teammates, when he's the one making the mistakes, throwing up his hands as if to say "what else can I do?". That's focking Jeff George in a nutshell. After one of Cutler's 5 interceptions vs. the 49ers, he bent over to tie his shoe. He had just cost his team another drive, another scoring chance, and he seemed SO concerned, SO ready to accept responsibility, he felt it necessary to shrug his shoulders and play with his shoe laces. Pathetic. He does not now, nor will he ever, earn the respect of his teammates. Just like George, Cutler will eventually be moved to another team who's willing to take a chance on his big arm, thinking it's just a matter of getting him the surrounding talent. When will franchises ever learn what's important at the Quarterback position...