Sign in to follow this  
Cara

Forte will be a bust for where he's drafted

In my most recent drafts, people have been taking Forte at the 1.02. He is NOT going to be worthy of that spot this season. I'm putting it out there for all to see, and I won't comment again on the topic.

My reasoning;

1. His offensive line is one of the shakiest lines in the league. Orlando will not last the season and the rest of the line is subpar, to say the least. Between a lack of talent and the consistent health issues of this line, Forte will be running behind a make-shift line early on. The depth, or lack thereof, is sickening.

2. His division is tougher. The Packers are better on defense as is Detroit. Detroit will still suck, but they will be better.

3. Forte will lose some carries this season in an attempt to keep him healthy. Turner has already stated he will lighten the load to keep him fresher this season.

4. Last season Forte caught a lot of dump off passes because Orton struggled when his first option wasn't open. Cutler won't struggle the same way.

Matt Forte will NOT live up to the 1.02. Keep this post. I'll go on more step and say I think he will finish somewhere between the 8th and 12th fantasy scorer this season.

so you are staking your reputation (What reputation I might ask?) that a player won't finish as either the best or second best player in all of fantasy football next year... wow, way to go out on a limb...

jackass

jdon

ps. I'll bet you comment again...

I'll stake my reputation that AP doesn't finish as the top scoring fantasy player next year. I'll also take a dump in a box, wrap it and wish you a happy birthday.

Seriously though, to say that Forte wont finish as the 1.02 player at the end of the year is pointless. You need to give us something of substance. Where will he finish in your opinion? That is the comment that would matter. If he finishes as the 1.08 best player by years end then in my book it was a great pick. I got first round value in a first round pick.

I am now dumber after reading this post....

One of the shakiest lines in the league??? Really?? Have you seen the offseason?? I would say their line actually improved in the offseason. Not to mention they got a quarterback who can actually throw the ball. Which means less 8 men in the box for Forte.

As far as being drafted second, I'm a Bears fan and I wouldn't draft him second. I don't think you have much of a reputation after posts like this.

Dear Cara,

Show us your cans.

Love,

The Mange Bored.

Agreed about Forte, but I love the potential that Peterson has. My only concern is the injury bug, but that can happen to any player on any given Sunday.

I'll stake my reputation that AP doesn't finish as the top scoring fantasy player next year. I'll also take a dump in a box, wrap it and wish you a happy birthday.

Seriously though, to say that Forte wont finish as the 1.02 player at the end of the year is pointless. You need to give us something of substance. Where will he finish in your opinion? That is the comment that would matter. If he finishes as the 1.08 best player by years end then in my book it was a great pick. I got first round value in a first round pick.

good post.... OP is a retard

I am now dumber after reading this post....

One of the shakiest lines in the league??? Really?? Have you seen the offseason?? I would say their line actually improved in the offseason. Not to mention they got a quarterback who can actually throw the ball. Which means less 8 men in the box for Forte.

As far as being drafted second, I'm a Bears fan and I wouldn't draft him second. I don't think you have much of a reputation after posts like this.

Yes...one of the shakiest lines in the league.

On paper they looked to have improved. But they are relying on a 2nd year guy with 0 starts playing RT and a past his prime big name guy playing LT who has struggled mightily with injuries the past few years.

I think his rushing numbers may improve (they better...that 3.9 per carry last year was not great...in line with Ryan Grant who most fans were disappointed with). Though, I agree with the OP that the receptions will most likely decrease with the better QB.

I think 1.02 is strictly what some are seeing in PPR leagues right now.

I love Forte this year. 1.02-1.04 is exactly where he should go. Cutler should give the Bears more Red Zone chances which has to help Forte out. The biggest thing is your scoring system. PPR I got AP, Forte, MJD, Turner.. Non PPR AP, Turner, Forte, MJD... You will get first round value out of Forte because he catches the ball.

wow. kinda harsh on the OP. retard? jackass?

i like the overall point of the post. Forte is overvalued right meow.

wow. kinda harsh on the OP. retard? jackass?

i like the overall point of the post. Forte is overvalued right meow.

Yeah, tough crowd up in here, huh? Even if ya got cans.

Perhaps our OP will see her/his bold prediction come to fruition as Forte crashes and burns this year from injury or inability, and bump this thread as a reminder to all you nay-sayers. BTW.....the point of the original post was just that Forte was likely being drafted to high. Thats all.

I agree. His numbers will be around 1187 rush 9tds 423 rec 3tds - not bad but not 2nd overall material. Another bust this year will be my franchise player.. Deangelo WIlliams. Bounce back players of the year will be Ochenta y Cinco and Sjax

Matt Forte is only getting started. Forte set several Tulane school records, including rushing for 2,127 yards and 23 touchdowns. He had five 200+ yard rushing games and two 300+ yard games during the 2007 season. I know it was for Tulane, but it was still impresive. A year under his belt and a new quarterback that can actually compete is a good mix. As far as the offensive line, I've been hearing good things. I would take him in the third or fourth spot if the draft was held today.

In my most recent drafts, people have been taking Forte at the 1.02. He is NOT going to be worthy of that spot this season. I'm putting it out there for all to see, and I won't comment again on the topic.

My reasoning;

1. His offensive line is one of the shakiest lines in the league. Orlando will not last the season and the rest of the line is subpar, to say the least. Between a lack of talent and the consistent health issues of this line, Forte will be running behind a make-shift line early on. The depth, or lack thereof, is sickening.

2. His division is tougher. The Packers are better on defense as is Detroit. Detroit will still suck, but they will be better.

3. Forte will lose some carries this season in an attempt to keep him healthy. Turner has already stated he will lighten the load to keep him fresher this season.

4. Last season Forte caught a lot of dump off passes because Orton struggled when his first option wasn't open. Cutler won't struggle the same way.

Matt Forte will NOT live up to the 1.02. Keep this post. I'll go on more step and say I think he will finish somewhere between the 8th and 12th fantasy scorer this season.

You might be right. If Pace can stay healthy and granted that's a big if, that will help not only in the passing game but the running game as well. I don't see the Bears switching to an aerial attack just because they acquired Cutler. Let's face it, Forte is the offense in Chicago. Theoretically, the Pack will be better on D but there is no guarantee as they are switching to a 3-4, which will take time to adjust to the scheme.

I could see Kevin Jones and/or the other Adrian Peterson getting some more touches but this will help keep Forte more fresh throughout the season.

I would think Cutler would be smart enough to get him the ball via the dumpoffs and let him make plays and maybe not to the degree of last season but enough to make him a big part of the passing game as well.

It'll be interesting to see if the hammy injury he suffered in the OTA's carries over into training camp as this type of injury can last most if not all season.

The Chicago Bears improved their O-Line from last year, brought in a young stud QB thats reconnecting with a former college WR... and you think Forte will have a worse year than last year???

I will happily take him 1.03 in a PPR league.

The Chicago Bears improved their O-Line from last year, brought in a young stud QB thats reconnecting with a former college WR... and you think Forte will have a worse year than last year???

I will happily take him 1.03 in a PPR league.

It remains to be seen how they actually improved their lines.

Signing a guy who is past his prime and has major injury concerns looks good because of his name.

I think people think he should do better rushing but probably won't see as many receptions.

You guys continue to miss the big picture here. More important than Forte's draft status, Da Bears O-line, or the projected number of receptions... we have just encountered a poster who meets the following qualifications:

1) is a female

2) is not very smart

3) is into football on some level

4) can keep quiet

This is an amazing find and it is being glossed over like the 2nd round of the NBA draft. I am ashamed that only 1 response in 30 has asked for can size.

Cara - please post pics so I can determine if I am in love.

You guys continue to miss the big picture here. More important than Forte's draft status, Da Bears O-line, or the projected number of receptions... we have just encountered a poster who meets the following qualifications:

1) is a female

2) is not very smart

3) is into football on some level

4) can keep quiet

This is an amazing find and it is being glossed over like the 2nd round of the NBA draft. I am ashamed that only 1 response in 30 has asked for can size.

Cara - please post pics so I can determine if I am in love.

+1

Improved O-line in that they signed Pace which allows Chris Williams to move to right tackle... improving two positions in their line at once... even if Pace plays 8 games, it will still be an 8 game improvement... not to mention bringing in a stud vet like that teaches the other o-linemen quite a bit... They also signed Kevin Schaeffer who will compete at right tackle/guard and Omilaye who will compete at right guard... No improvement really?!

I've changed my mind on Forte. He will not produce like a first round pick, period. That's right. I said it.

To those of you thinking the offensive line is improved; What are you smoking? Let's look at why Forte will NOT BE A TOP TWELVE OVERALL SCORER IN 2009:

1. The Offensive Line - It is truly offensive. Chris Williams is a JOKE. When he was selected, the question was asked why they took him over several other more competent Tackles. He will end up being a bust. I live in St. Louis and mildly follow the Bears because we didn't have a team here for quite some time, so in their absence, I followed the Chiefs and Bears, still do to an extent. Orlando Pace has played in under HALF his games the past 3 seasons. You think he will improve with age? LOL ---- This line has ZERO depth. Kreutz was one of the top Centers in the leage.... THREE YEARS AGO. His play fell off big time the last half of last season. This will be one of the bottom five offensive lines in the NFL next season.

2. Have you looked at the defense of the Lions or Packers? Both improved from last season. Neither is dominant, but they ARE better.

3. Cutler doesn't have Marshall and Royal to play pitch & catch with. That WILL make a difference. Hester isn't anywhere near the receiver of either of those guys. Who is the 2nd receiver? People on this board seem to believe it will be his old college teammate, E.B. I highly doubt that. The coaches are praising Iglesias and Knox a LOT more than Bennett. This Wide Receiver group is pathetic, and that is holding back my true feelings. Greg Olsen has the potential to be a stud, however, he is NOT a blocking Tight End, they have Clark for that. I have to wonder how often they will utilize both TE's when they will likely be playing from behind in a lot of games.

4. Have you watched Cutler play in Denver? Have you? Seriously? At least he had a pair of great young Tackles in Denver. He threw the ball up for grabs a lot there, what will he do when he is being tossed around like a ragdoll because of the crap offensive line? He will throw INT's and the Bears will be playing from behind, taking Forte out of the game.

5. Turner has stated numerous times Forte will lose carries this season.

6. Do you remember what Forte's YPC was? Can it get worse? It won't improve. Wait and see. Less carries + same or less YPC = disappointing results for a guy being taken at the 1.02 in many leagues right now.

7. His early Hamstring injury could be a bad sign so considering the pads aren't even on yet.

8. Did I mention that offensive line?

Ok, I upped my Ante. I don't have him in the TOP TWELVE fantasy scorers this season. Go ahead and rip on me. Dig in. I'll laugh when you draft him early and he is either injured from not having a line to block for him, or he simply doesn't perform like an early first rounder should.

Think on this; Look back on the past decade of fantasy football. Each year, HALF of the first rounders end up NOT being in the top 12 overall players. I'm calling it now that Forte will NOT make the top 12 this season.

Improved O-line in that they signed Pace which allows Chris Williams to move to right tackle... improving two positions in their line at once... even if Pace plays 8 games, it will still be an 8 game improvement... not to mention bringing in a stud vet like that teaches the other o-linemen quite a bit... They also signed Kevin Schaeffer who will compete at right tackle/guard and Omilaye who will compete at right guard... No improvement really?!

Pace could be an improvement...but for how long?

Chris Williams is a 2nd year player who has seen how much time in the NFL? Why do you think he is an improvement at RT right now? His extensive experience in the league?

He was a stud...its been a while since he has been one though.

Im saying if its an improvement...it is yet to be known. Signing pace sounds good and all...but counting Chris Williams right now as an improvement is laughable.

It be like Packer fans just counting Josh Sitton as an improvement at RG right now...eventhough he was hurt all year last year.

I don't have a clue who you are, but if you're a female then your value is based on how nice your rack is. As this isn't real life and I cannot evaluate this for myself before engaging you in conversation, I'm gonna need you to hook me up so I know at what level of condescension you should be placed.

Also, why aren't you making me a sandwich instead of speaking out of place?

Pace could be an improvement...but for how long?

Chris Williams is a 2nd year player who has seen how much time in the NFL? Why do you think he is an improvement at RT right now? His extensive experience in the league?

He was a stud...its been a while since he has been one though.

Im saying if its an improvement...it is yet to be known. Signing pace sounds good and all...but counting Chris Williams right now as an improvement is laughable.

It be like Packer fans just counting Josh Sitton as an improvement at RG right now...eventhough he was hurt all year last year.

Like I said, any games Pace plays will be an improvement over St. Clair... 8 games is an 8 game improvement.

How is counting on Chris Williams laughable... Chris Williams was a well regarded LT from a major SEC conference team in Vanderbilt drafted in the first round... and is moving to a much easier (RT) position. Sure he was out all last year, but he is a very well regarded prospect moving to an easier position.

Called the finest offensive tackle in Vanderbilt history, Williams became the first Commodore to earned All-Southeastern Conference honors (2007) from league coaches since Will Wolford in 1984. Despite manning the demanding left tackle position, he consistently received winning blocking grades over the last two seasons, as he allowed just two quarterback sacks over the course of his last 1,558 snaps.

While you never know what will happen I'm willing to bet that a highly regarded first round offensive linemen will have at least a decent year at the RT position.

You also seem to ignore that they signed Kevin Shaffer... if Williams learning curve proves to steep, or his herniated disc comes up again... they have a capable vet backup who is a hell of a run blocker, and Williams can move to guard or simply learn from Pace for another year.

The Bears o-line certainly didn't regress, and imo it improved... did I mention they have a legit QB?

Agreed 100%.

Forte just is nt talented enough to do what he did for consecutive years.

O-lines are more than big names. you need continuity. they're changing things up in the off-season. you never know how this will play out.

O-lines are more than big names. you need continuity. they're changing things up in the off-season. you never know how this will play out.

Agreed...sounds great to say...hey we got Pace.

But will he work well with the others out there?

Will Williams pan out at RT?

Will Pace even make it through half of the season?

Continuity is a luxury not a necessity... Let's look at the top 5 ADP's lines.

1. AP... Possible rookie starting at RT, and Birk left via free agency to have an unknown John Sullivan take his place... Will McKinnie play as dominant as he can, or continue to simply be an above average left tackle?

2a. MJD... Could have two possible rookie starters at tackle... Eben Briten and Eugene Monroe... they have two starters coming off of injuries... Vince Manuwai/Maurice Williams... will they be able to come back to form? Will Brad Meester be able to stay healthy for a whole season?

2b. Forte's o-line has been discussed at length already.

2c. Michael Turner - Sam Baker was injured week 1, and weeks 8-17, will he be an effective LT at the next level? "Michael Turner carried the ball 110 times (when Baker was starting) for 541 yards but 220 of those came in the week one game against the Lions; he averaged only 3.6 in the other four." http://www.ultimateffstrategy.com/2009_OLi...nta_falcons.htm

5. Steven Jackson - The Rams are replacing three of their five starting o-linemen. Alex Barron at LT, Jason Brown at C, and Adam Goldberg/Jason Smith at RT... not exactly continuity.

My point is we can only speculate at this time, and while it may be fun to say that someone will be a bust for where they are drafted... it's mostly speculation/gut feeling.

There's a reason why Forte is being drafted as high as he is... on paper it looks like they improved their o-line, qb, and receiver corps... why wouldn't Forte at least repeat his 2008 stats? Then again... I'm just speculating.

Continuity is a luxury not a necessity... Let's look at the top 5 ADP's lines.

1. AP... Possible rookie starting at RT, and Birk left via free agency to have an unknown John Sullivan take his place... Will McKinnie play as dominant as he can, or continue to simply be an above average left tackle?

2a. MJD... Could have two possible rookie starters at tackle... Eben Briten and Eugene Monroe... they have two starters coming off of injuries... Vince Manuwai/Maurice Williams... will they be able to come back to form? Will Brad Meester be able to stay healthy for a whole season?

2b. Forte's o-line has been discussed at length already.

2c. Michael Turner - Sam Baker was injured week 1, and weeks 8-17, will he be an effective LT at the next level? "Michael Turner carried the ball 110 times (when Baker was starting) for 541 yards but 220 of those came in the week one game against the Lions; he averaged only 3.6 in the other four." http://www.ultimateffstrategy.com/2009_OLi...nta_falcons.htm

5. Steven Jackson - The Rams are replacing three of their five starting o-linemen. Alex Barron at LT, Jason Brown at C, and Adam Goldberg/Jason Smith at RT... not exactly continuity.

My point is we can only speculate at this time, and while it may be fun to say that someone will be a bust for where they are drafted... it's mostly speculation/gut feeling.

There's a reason why Forte is being drafted as high as he is... on paper it looks like they improved their o-line, qb, and receiver corps... why wouldn't Forte at least repeat his 2008 stats? Then again... I'm just speculating.

I see your point, but highly disagree with a couple of things. First off, John Sullivan was a stud when playing on the line last year and blocking for ADP. Second, their Rookie RT (Trueblood) cannot be any worse than what they had. McKinnie has been playing the same for years, so I don't see how anyone could expect him to be any better or worse. Birk is being replaced by Sullivan because Burk, like Kreutz in Chicago, has lost a step and wore down quickly in games.

2. MJD ---- His line was in complete shambles last season. How many of the starters were on IR at seasons end? He put up ok numbers behind the absolutely least talented line in the league. This season, the Jaguars upgraded with Monroe as one new starter, but Britton will only be a backup. They are gambling on Tra Thomas filling in until he is ready to take over. I think Jax now has one of the deepest lines in the NFL. Give them Kudos for upgrading the line in the manner they did.

3. Forte -- His line is going to get him killed.

4. Turner ---- Turner is another topic people can debate altogether. He faced one of the easiest schedules last season........

5. Steven Jackson... My stud this season. I can tell you from living here that our line is going to be nasty. Barron is, and has been, and underrated tackle because of his offsides penalties. He is a darn good run blocker though and that is why he's still starting. Jason Brown was one of the top 6 Centers in the league last season. The Rams were starting who? LOL Jason Smith will easily be as good as Pace was. People here are giving Pace credit for what he did a decade ago. He has NOT been a great LT for at least 5 years. Did you watch him play the past 3 seasons, when he played? They let him go because his nickname in the media here was turnstile. He couldn't get to the second level and engage the linebackers anymore. He hit only the guy in front of him, then he stopped. If nothing else, Smith can do that.

I do understand the point you were trying to make, but the top RB's have top lines this season. AP is running behind the best left side of an offensive line possibly in the NFL. Steven Jackson and MJD will both have top offensive lines that actually have depth.

Forte has nothing. No depth, no "studs" unless you want to consider Kreutz a stud, but he wore out badly down the stretch last season...... Offensive linemen don't usually get better with age.

Also, I don't normally hold the line against a RB the way I am with Forte. I see a major Sophomore slump coming and possibly even him getting injured from people pushing his line around like they are fat girls who couldn't get a date to the Prom, so they ended up in one place, Chicago.

Ok, I'm finished posting in here again. : )

I love MJD the way a fat kid loves cake.

I play in PPR, so my top guys this season in no particular order are MJD, AP, Steven Jackson, S. Slaton, and possibly Chris Johnson as I think he will end up with at least 50 catches this season..........

... I live in St. Louis

Prior to this I was going to ask if you lived in Knob Noster MO :ninja:

My biggest concern for any team with that has O. Pace as a starter ( :wub: ) and relies on him to even play. I'm sure his current contract has him required to practice and play x amount of time, but the quality this guy has demonstrated over the past couple of years is mediocre at best.

While round one may be a question, I'd say on certain teams in certain formats; 14 team/3 keeper leagues, he may be fine as a 2nd or 3rd round keeper.

BTW - Hi neighbor I'm a bit NW of you. :wave:

St. Louis

San Fran

Arizona

Detroit 2x

Green Bay 2x

Thats almost half a season of reliable production if not some beast weeks. Throw in the fact he will get looks in the passing game to boot. He is one a few top ten pciks that I would consider a lock. When does improving your QB situation make it worse for the rb ?

St. Louis

San Fran

Arizona

Detroit 2x

Green Bay 2x

Thats almost half a season of reliable production if not some beast weeks. Throw in the fact he will get looks in the passing game to boot. He is one a few top ten pciks that I would consider a lock. When does improving your QB situation make it worse for the rb ?

You mentioned several teams with much better defenses than they had last season. St. Louis is better, San Fran played MUCH better after a real coach took over, Green Bay had injuries all over their defense last season and they are now healthy, and Detroit improved in several areas on defense. None of them are going to be top defenses, but ALL are better than last season.

Improving the QB position has nothing to do with making anything worse on a player...... The fact is the offensive line and lack of proven WR's is NOT a good thing. What will Cutler do with Hester and a yet to be named starter? He ONLY put up those numbers in Denver last season because they played from behind and played some seriously weak defenses. He had two of the better WR's in the AFC and a great pair of tackles blocking for him. Now, transplant him to a team with ZERO WR's of the caliber he is use to having, a porous offensive line with more holes than the Titanic, AND a new offensive system..... If you think Cutler will be the same guy as last season, you are sorely mistaken. It is hard for any QB to throw from his back. When he starts throwing the ball up for grabs because he is under pressure, I can't wait to see how many people still call him a "vast improvement" over Orton.

To the person that said Hello; Hello Neighbor!

5. Steven Jackson... My stud this season. I can tell you from living here that our line is going to be nasty.

Steven Jackson and MJD will both have top offensive lines that actually have depth.

Aha! :thumbsdown:

St. Louis is horrible and every defence will key on Jackson when he can make the field. He probably won't break 12 games. St. Louis will have a top O line based on a rookie pick? Great news for you guys. :shocking:

In the interest of playing fair, I'll make a prediction: Steve Jackson will finish behind Frank Gore.

Aha! :doublethumbsup:

St. Louis is horrible and every defence will key on Jackson when he can make the field. He probably won't break 12 games. St. Louis will have a top O line based on a rookie pick? Great news for you guys. <_<

In the interest of playing fair, I'll make a prediction: Steve Jackson will finish behind Frank Gore.

I agree with us being horrible. lol No debate there. Half our schedule is against teams that cannot stop the run though. Jackson is also playing for a new Head Coach in a new system behind a very very improved offensive line. I have no doubt he will be a top five RB this season, especially in a PPR League like what I play in.

I will take your bet on Jackson finishing behind Gore though. The 49'ers on offense will be even worse than the Rams. At least we have one decent receiver and a now darn good O-Line. The 49'ers have an average, at best, offensive line and nothing else. It remains to be seen if Crabtree will do anything in this league or not.

Your glasses are rather tinted... you say the Rams have improved their o-lines yet you don't think the bears did, even though they're getting a second year well regarded first pick back into the rotation, signed Kevin Shaffer (no dud), signed Pace (improvement over St. Clair for any, ANY games he starts), and signed Omilaye... IMO they have more depth than last year...

Last year Orton was the QB, and they have the exact same WR corps + 2 rookies... with a very well regarded young QB that can actually take advantage of the team speed at WR in the deep ball. You don't think a play action streak to Hester will make the defenses key in less on Forte? Last year they couldn't do that, and were limited in their vertical attack because Orton's deep ball... leaves a bit to be desired.

Talking about the Broncos receivers... I believe that Cutler was one of the main reasons for Royal's early success/Marshall's continued success... we will see this year if that holds true.

In my mind this is the exact same team as last year w/ a little better o-line, the wrs getting one more year experience under their belt, an improvement at QB, and Forte having one year under his belt... and I'll stick to Cutler being a VAST improvement over Orton, Cutler's mobility/pocket presence will make the o-line look better than it is.

The Rams added a good center, I'll give you that... but having two of the most penalized o-linemen in the league in Barron/Incognito learning a new offense w/ new snap counts does not bode well... add in Goldberg/unproven commodity in Jason Smith at RT, and my perspective on their o-line is that of mediocrity. Throw in Bulger throwing the ball to a very shaky receiver corps, and I will be staying away from Jackson... did I mention he's missed eight games in the past two years and will be seeing eight men in the box on almost every play?

Bottom line, Cara: As long as you have Bulger as your starting QB, Jackson has little to no chance to truly shine. Top ten, maybe.....top 15, much more likely. Bulger scares no defense, and neither does Avery. 8 in the box will be the rule in 09.

Bulger has had his chance to shine, but has done nothing with it. I am astounded that he hasn't been replaced. He has looked awful the last couple of seasons, and has never been anything spectacular. Upgrade your QB and receiving corp, and SJ has a chance to be the beast that we know he can be. Until then, more injury and mediocrity.

I believe the Bears have the easiest or 2nd easiest schedule in the NFL in 2009

Cans!