Sign in to follow this  
Tango

Ravens Running Game After Week 1

I watched the game from a distance while watching every other game. Ive also read the boxscore. Here’s what I think we learned today:

McClain (6/19 1 TD, 3/23): Definitely a secondary role, but he is in on every play with a two back set since he is the fulltime FB. That means he’ll get a good share of dump-offs so his receptions might turn out be decent. He scored on a half yarder on a quick, lead blocker-less dive with McGahee deep in the I. Bottomline; McClain seems like a decent backup in most leagues since sometimes…when youre desperate…you just need a guy who is going to get some touches and you just hope for the best. And it doesnt hurt that he will have a few shots at the goalline too.

McGahee (10/44 1 TD, 4/31 1 TD): McGahee showed good speed on the second quarter drive where he got most of his carries and a good bunch of yards. There was nothing apparent about his performance that would tell you he’s “lost it”. His pass catching abilities were also decent. The only surprise to me to the upside with McGahee was his presence in some 1 back sets that you’d expect Rice to be in. The TDs were nice, but fluky. The catch was the final read and an act of desperation and the last one apparently was in all-out garbage time (didn’t see it though, so correct me there if need be). If you have some lemmings in your league, maybe you could trade him right now for something good. That being said, he will be another decent sub in deep leagues getting his 10 carries per game.

Rice (19/108, 2/12): If Rice would have stayed in bounds for half a yard more and get into the endzone on his impressive 20 yard sweep, then he would be getting all sorts of good PR right now. But he didn’t, and McClain punched it in. But everything went to plan for Rice owners today other than his TD near misses. I would cite one concern; McGahee was in on passing downs more than expected and showed good receiving skills. But how could Rice owners complain about 20 carries? That’s near Rice’s max, as it is for many good backs these days and McGahee will get the scraps after that. If the Ravens control the clock, then McGahee may get a dozen to 15 carries…not a big deal for Rice owners if he is getting his 20. You sort of wish he didn’t hit the century mark rushing because he might have been easy to pick up in a trade since he didn’t score and the other guys did. Rice is a top 15-20 back right now and thus a starter in almost all formats.

Nice analysis. I'll temper it slightly with the fact that, while all the Baltimore backs looked very good today, it was Kansas City. They were lost on defense all day with almost no pressure from the DL and slow lateral movement. Rice definitely showed starter's skill, though.

Against KC he did pretty well.

BUt is that ever an ugly committee. Woah doctor.

Glad I don't have any Raven RBs.

I watched most of the game, and I'll agree for the most part, except I'm not sure I'd call McGahee's second TD a fluke. They were only up 7 before that so I'm not sure I'd call it garbage time. And IIRC he only had 1 carry in the first half but looked good when given the chance to actually run it in the second half.

IMO the biggest thing to take from this game is that McClain will certainly be involved in the offense. He got the short yardage TD, and caught quite a few screen passes as well, and got a 15-20 yard one called back due to a penalty.

Rice looked good, but the lack of TD's would still concern me. 120 total yards isn't too shabby, but I think many that jumped on the Rice hype train were expecting more against KC.

Rice looked good, but the lack of TD's would still concern me. 120 total yards isn't too shabby, but I think many that jumped on the Rice hype train were expecting more against KC.

I can't complain considering he's my RB3 who I ended up starting due to Pierre Thomas being injured.

I think people should leap on this if it is the prevailing perception and trade for Rice; he came within a hair of having not one TD, but two today.

Glad I don't have any Raven RBs.

Unless youre in a 5 team league, this makes no sense. It all comes down to risk-adjusted projections. The Ravens running game projects to be be good enough to generate top-level rush stats. So when you run the numbers league-wide, all three Raven RBs have value and Rice, in particular, ranks out to a low #2 in 10 team leagues.

I think people should leap on this if it is the prevailing perception and trade for Rice; he came within a hair of having not one TD, but two today.

I know, but the bottom line is he didn't have any against a bad defense. He's definitely got talent, but with both McGahee and McClain looking good as well I just don't see him having a huge year.

Again, this depends on where he was drafted and where he fits on your team. He'll be a great #3 RB, but I'm not so sure about people having him as a #2 and drafting him in the 4th round.

I know, but the bottom line is he didn't have any against a bad defense. He's definitely got talent, but with both McGahee and McClain looking good as well I just don't see him having a huge year.

Again, this depends on where he was drafted and where he fits on your team. He'll be a great #3 RB, but I'm not so sure about people having him as a #2 and drafting him in the 4th round.

I got Rice at 5.11 and am happy with how things played out and the role I expect him to have in the running game. I think people have let the hype of others lead to unrealistic expectations. I mean the guy did have over 100 yards and if he didnt slip on one play and get pushed out at the 1 on another he could have scored 2 TDs.

Yeah, he will lose some overall touches and he is not the primary GL back as expected but lets look at the other RBs drafted in the 4th/5th/6th round. I think Rice's prospects compare favorably to most of those guys.

The other thing here is that Flacco threw the ball 43 times today. Early in the game it was clear that they were trying to establish their passing game. I dont expect that to happen every week. And I expect Rice to get more than 2 catches when they do throw the ball.

In 12 team leagues a RB2 needs to be in the top 13 to 24. I like Rice's prospects of fitting comfortably into that range. And I expect that he'll be on the higher end of that.

For those who watched the game: does RR get any goal line carries at all? Or is McGahee @ RB and McClain @ FB the GL set all the time?

For those who watched the game: does RR get any goal line carries at all? Or is McGahee @ RB and McClain @ FB the GL set all the time?

Yes, he had 2-3 carries ranging from the 3 to the 9. He took one of them to the 1 on a 2nd down. On 3rd down, they put in McGahee who caught the TD pass on a broken play.

Rice got a few carries inside the 10. On one play he slipped and fell and then McGahee came in on the next play and caught the short TD after a long Flacco scramble.

On McLain's TD, Rice had a nice 20 some yard run to the one.

At this point though he is clearly option #3 at the goaline. But I think he will get his shots over the course of the year.

Alright, thx for the info guys. I'd be pretty happy if he gets 20+ touches every game with where I drafted him as long as he gets an occasional shot at a TD.

Alright, thx for the info guys. I'd be pretty happy if he gets 20+ touches every game with where I drafted him as long as he gets an occasional shot at a TD.

yes, seems like he'll get plenty of shots at TDs...

Interesting that after a year plus all 3 backs are still there pretty much in the same roles as week 1 of 2009 vs KC and now we all have Rice as Top 5...and it is the right ranking.

In looking back at last years stats I forgot that McGahee had his best game in the season finally vs. Oakland. (164 yards/3 td's) I also forgot he had a 2 td game in like week 13 or 14. This is an interesting situation, that i am among those drinking the koolaid. I have Rice as the 2nd safest slection behind MJD for 2010.

Nice job Tango!