Sign in to follow this  
Vikings4ever

Ever draft a team you were super high on

One that you looked at and said, "Damn, this team is good. I think this is one of the best teams in the league"?

In the IBL (PPR), 8 trades during the drafts netted me this team:

Aaron Rodgers

Matt Hasselbeck

Turner

Marion Barber

Derrick Ward

LenWhale

Jerious Norwood

Tashard Choice

Colston

TO

Kevin Walter

Muhsin Muhammad

Chris Henry

Nate Burleson

Cooley

Kevin Boss

Nate Kaeding

Bucs D

Yeah... :thumbsdown:

Seems to happen almost every year... except championship years. :thumbsdown:

I thought I'd take this opportunity to mention that you guys are still getting biotch-slapped in IBL. :thumbsdown:

Anyway, to your question, up until last year I hadn't done anything but a keeper league, and my two redrafts (including IBL) have gone pretty well. In the keeper league (keep up to 7) though, I had this team last year which should have been unbeatable, but the WRs all turned into turds. Came in 4th I think.

Brees

MJD, Barber, Portis

Braylon, Plax, Holmes

I thought I'd take this opportunity to mention that you guys are still getting biotch-slapped in IBL. :thumbsdown:

Yeah, this is easily the worst we've ever done.

But it's a long season. Last year, I started 11-25 the first 9 weeks. Then I rebounded and went 28-3. Although it doesn't look like that'll happen this year. :overhead:

Yeah, it was 2006 or 2007 I think, the first year I got desired changes to our starting lineups (to make up for it being an 8 team league).

I spent a couple of early picks on QBs, and that totally flamed out. In addition Larry Johnson flamed out and my RBs were simply godawful, although they seemed good at the start of the year.

On the bright side, my starting 3 WR were Larry Fitzgerald, Braylon Edwards, and Chad whateverthefhecallshimselfnow.

As an engineer, I like to analyze things, and I try to isolate my draft analysis from actual performance during the season. The question is, did you accomplish what you were trying to do?

In IBL for instance, I traded up two spots with WhiteWonder to get AJ in his draft; he wanted LT in mine. That has worked out well for me, but that is not the point, the point is I got who I wanted, as did he, with a bump in later rounds. Similarly, in round 6 I analyzed the 4 drafters ahead of me, saw that the first 3 already had QBs, so orchestrated a trade to move up two spots because, given the guy ahead of me's roster, I was confident he was going to go QB. I grabbed Romo whom I targeted, he took Schaub soon thereafter with a comment like "got the guy I wanted." In hindsight, Schaub may do better, but he was going mid-7th in those drafts and that was a reach. Again, the point is I got who I wanted.

I would put my first 6 picks in that league -- AJ, Boldin, Barber, Grant, Gonzo, Romo -- up against any roster when all healthy. I did what I wanted. Later rounds are more challenging; I took J Lewis in the 9th as my "solid" RB3, then in a later draft took FWP as another "solid" RB3 in the 8th when I could have gone with someone like Benson, F Jones, or Beanie for the upside.

Anyway, like most drafters, there were reasons we made the picks we did at the time. All you can do is analyze it, learn from your mistakes, and do better next year. :dunno:

As an engineer, I like to analyze things, and I try to isolate my draft analysis from actual performance during the season. The question is, did you accomplish what you were trying to do?

In IBL for instance, I traded up two spots with WhiteWonder to get AJ in his draft; he wanted LT in mine. That has worked out well for me, but that is not the point, the point is I got who I wanted, as did he, with a bump in later rounds. Similarly, in round 6 I analyzed the 4 drafters ahead of me, saw that the first 3 already had QBs, so orchestrated a trade to move up two spots because, given the guy ahead of me's roster, I was confident he was going to go QB. I grabbed Romo whom I targeted, he took Schaub soon thereafter with a comment like "got the guy I wanted." In hindsight, Schaub may do better, but he was going mid-7th in those drafts and that was a reach. Again, the point is I got who I wanted.

I would put my first 6 picks in that league -- AJ, Boldin, Barber, Grant, Gonzo, Romo -- up against any roster when all healthy. I did what I wanted. Later rounds are more challenging; I took J Lewis in the 9th as my "solid" RB3, then in a later draft took FWP as another "solid" RB3 in the 8th when I could have gone with someone like Benson, F Jones, or Beanie for the upside.

Anyway, like most drafters, there were reasons we made the picks we did at the time. All you can do is analyze it, learn from your mistakes, and do better next year. :dunno:

I know what you're saying. My biggest desire going into the draft was to trade my 2 pick for a late 1st RB and move up into the late 3rd from a later pick. With WRs going early, I was able to trade for an early 2nd and late 3rd that I used on Turner and Barber.

I still believe my strategy, and the team's strategy, of going RB early is a good one. So far this season, early WRs have busted at a huge rate, although guys like Fitz, Welker, and Roddy White have picked it up in recent weeks. We've just had the misfortune of picking the wrong players. That's the hinging point of most any FF strategy.

Back in 03 I think it was. I had been bragging about the success I had had playing FF (I started playing in 99) to my dad. He proposed that we go halves in a high money online league (I believe $500 buy in).

My first two picks were Travis Henry and Randy Moss. I also remembering having Trent Green as my starting QB. The rest of my lineup is pretty foggy.

I ended up finishing 9th in a 12 team league.

You can analyze things anyway you want but luck will turn its head in fantasy football.

I would have pit my first 7 or 8 against anyones when healthy as well. Tomlinson, Wes Welker, DeAngelo Williams, Eddie Royal, Moreno, Cooley, Palmer, Walter....

My goal was to build a team around pass catchers for our PPR format (a format I play almost exclusively). History has tought me that having pass catching RB's will trump all.

Unfortunately LT injured himself in week 1 and wasn't really back until week 6 after the bye. He has been pedestrian since then but has averaged double digit fantasy points in PPR scoring over those 2 weeks :pointstosky: . Welker missed weeks 2 and 3 with his phantom knee injury. Moreno was hurt in preseason which slowed his climb to the top of the depth chart in Denver, Walter missed week 1 and Palmer was slow to recover from missing most of last season. And Eddie Royal? well, don't get me started... my biggest mistake was falling for the idea that he would become Wes Welker light in that offense. And now Cooley will miss a large chunk of time.

Thats the way things go some years. Unfortunately its happened in my rookie IBL season.

1. LT

2. F Gore

3. TO

4. R Williams

5. M Lynch

6. L Moore

It's as though I didn't even draft in the first 6 rounds. My team is 1-6. :pointstosky:

Looking back I took way too many risks. Gore is the only one who I'm actually surprised hasn't produced like projected. The rest of them, I'm not shocked at all. Which is why I never should have drafted them.

McNabb

Edwards

MJD

Jacobs

McCoy

Donald Brown

Wayne

Berrian

Roy E

Walter

Cooley

Shockey

Lindell

Reed

Steelers

Saints

Made several changes since but am 3-6. We play double headers some weeks.

I still believe my strategy, and the team's strategy, of going RB early is a good one. So far this season, early WRs have busted at a huge rate, although guys like Fitz, Welker, and Roddy White have picked it up in recent weeks. We've just had the misfortune of picking the wrong players. That's the hinging point of most any FF strategy.

I went RB early with Gore, Sjax, and addai, i just happened to get lucky with my late round WR and QB picks. The players that are picked are alot more important than the strategy that is employed imho.

My goal was to build a team around pass catchers for our PPR format (a format I play almost exclusively). History has tought me that having pass catching RB's will trump all.

X2

I drafted 8th in a 10 team redraft and had my eyes fixed on SJax as he was healthy and supposedly the Rams had answered some questions about their team which we know now to be incorrect answers. He's done pretty good given how putrid that team is.

My goal was to take the best value on the board within reason and NOT to follow the herd on runs. Went back to back QB in 5-6 which wasn't smart but I had a gut feeling I made a mistake with Cutler and the guy behind me had yet to draft a QB. Turned out to be the best move of the draft for me. I sit at the 8th spot with a record of 3-4 but only 2 games out of first place in a tight league. Just get me to the playoffs baby.....

1. SJax

2. R. Moss

3. R. White

4. P. Thomas

5. Cutler

6. Schaub

7. G. Olsen (so much for Cutler connection)

8. Pitt DEF (never again will I draft a DEF)