Sign in to follow this  
jgcrawfish

Sneaky DST plays

Not sure about the rest of you, but WW is really thin this week. I've got Packers (vs Minn) and Saints (vs ATL) but I'm not counting on either giving me much. Was considering picking up another one for one week, but Cards, Chargers and even the Texans (who I was going to get) were grabbed before I could get them since I'm last in WW. Here's what's left:

Dolphins DST @NYJ

Seahawks DST @DAL

Rams DST @DET

Titans DST JAC

Falcons DST @NO

Lions DST STL

Jaguars DST @TEN

Those are listed in order of CBS projections for the week (which I don't buy at all, but was good for a sort of nothing else).

Any of you guys facing the same issues and who are you looking at and why? I can't believe I'm even going to type this, but I'm actually leaning toward Jags, Lions and Rams, in that order. I think the Fins would be a good pickup if I Sanchez continues his regression, but I think the Jets are going to lean heavy on the run game. :music_guitarred:

EDIT: I should add that the 49'ers are available after being dropped, but I'm not sure about them going against Indy unless Reggie Wayne is confirmed out at some point.

Detroit Lions, as a fantasy defense they have done pretty good this year when they had a favorable matchup.

Not sure about the rest of you, but WW is really thin this week. I've got Packers (vs Minn) and Saints (vs ATL) but I'm not counting on either giving me much. Was considering picking up another one for one week, but Cards, Chargers and even the Texans (who I was going to get) were grabbed before I could get them since I'm last in WW. Here's what's left:

Dolphins DST @NYJ

Seahawks DST @DAL

Rams DST @DET

Titans DST JAC

Falcons DST @NO

Lions DST STL

Jaguars DST @TEN

Those are listed in order of CBS projections for the week (which I don't buy at all, but was good for a sort of nothing else).

Any of you guys facing the same issues and who are you looking at and why? I can't believe I'm even going to type this, but I'm actually leaning toward Jags, Lions and Rams, in that order. I think the Fins would be a good pickup if I Sanchez continues his regression, but I think the Jets are going to lean heavy on the run game. :music_guitarred:

EDIT: I should add that the 49'ers are available after being dropped, but I'm not sure about them going against Indy unless Reggie Wayne is confirmed out at some point.

Dolphins. They have 2nd best running D and that is all the Jets can do as of late.

No Seahawks (Dallas looks to be hitting stride and getting healthier), and I wouldn't touch the Det/Stl or Jax/Ten games. NO 49ERS. I think Alex Smith goes back to looking bad and they lead the league in 3 and outs ... Indy will destroy this team.

Detroit Lions, as a fantasy defense they have done pretty good this year when they had a favorable matchup.

you wouldn't be trying to purposely steer a fellow Steeler wrong would you?

I know you're probably not, it's just very hard to stomach someone telling you to play the Lions D.

The team to pickup for DST is the Cards....

Playoffs

week 15 - Lions

week 16 - Rams

week 17 - GreenBay

Sure the Packers may be tough but the Lions and Rams are turnover gold!!!

Just picked them up myself!!!

Dolphins. They have 2nd best running D and that is all the Jets can do as of late.

No Seahawks (Dallas looks to be hitting stride and getting healthier), and I wouldn't touch the Det/Stl or Jax/Ten games. NO 49ERS. I think Alex Smith goes back to looking bad and they lead the league in 3 and outs ... Indy will destroy this team.

I tend to agree with you, and was really starting to look into the Dolphins. I had ruled out Tenn, mostly because I have Jones-Drew and hate that situation of having rooting for him to destroy my defense.

on the San Fran thing. There's a lot of IF's here, but if Reggie Wayne doesn't play, and since it's likely that Gonzalez is out this week as well, and likely Donald Brown, I think that severely hampers Indy. I know it's still freakin Peyton Manning, but all he really has left that's dependable is Dallas Clark. And I think the 49'ers are about turn things around for the better again. Smith will make mistakes, but he's more talented that Hill...and Gore will be healthier than last week, which could help the control the ball/clock better. A lot of those 3 and outs were while Gore was out. With the injuries to Indy, they might be a sneaky good play :dunno:

The team to pickup for DST is the Cards....

Playoffs

week 15 - Lions

week 16 - Rams

week 17 - GreenBay

Sure the Packers may be tough but the Lions and Rams are turnover gold!!!

Just picked them up myself!!!

um, not an option.

Out of the FA's I would go with Miami. ;)

But I think I would roll with the Packers. :ninja:

not sure, Minny's offense worries the hell out of me, as does the suspect QB protection that Rodgers offensive line give him. From my personal perspective, i think the Vikes offense is too potent for the Pack Defense, and will point out the whopping 8 pts the Packer put up in week 4 (in my scoring system). I like GB defense going forward, but not this week.

Do you get/lose fantasy points for your D based on how many points they give up, or is it strictly sacks/TOs/TDs?

If it's the former, I might take a chance on Jacksonville, as it's hard to imagine a Young-led Titans lighting up the scoreboard.

If points scored aren't a factor, I think I agree with KSB and would lean to Miami.

Dolphins might be the way to roll this week... especially if Sanchez throws another 5 picks

God I hope not

not sure, Minny's offense worries the hell out of me, as does the suspect QB protection that Rodgers offensive line give him. From my personal perspective, i think the Vikes offense is too potent for the Pack Defense, and will point out the whopping 8 pts the Packer put up in week 4 (in my scoring system). I like GB defense going forward, but not this week.

I understand the concern. However we are not comparing the Packers D this week to the (Cards, Bears, Cowboys, Chargers, ect.) all of which have good matchups. We are comparing the GB D this week to Miami, Seattle, Det, STL ect.

It's not that I really like GB this week, it's that I like them better than the Free Agents you listed.

I would rank it GB, Miami, Saints. :dunno:

Do you get/lose fantasy points for your D based on how many points they give up, or is it strictly sacks/TOs/TDs?

If it's the former, I might take a chance on Jacksonville, as it's hard to imagine a Young-led Titans lighting up the scoreboard.

If points scored aren't a factor, I think I agree with KSB and would lean to Miami.

yeah, pts based on opponent pts scored, opponent yrds gained, sacks, ints as well as DTD and STTD...and I was reading on another site how they highly recommended the Jags D for the same reason, VY and his turnover potential and offensive ineptitude. But since it's not official that VY will be the QB, and who knows how short his leash will be, I was trying to keep all things in mind.

I have the Packers D but picked up the Dolphins for this week only. Might be crazy not to start the Pack as they've done well (about 8 pts/game) but I like Miami's matchup for some reason.

I also have the Packers D but am uneasy. They've put up good fantasy points, but this is mostly due to feasting on CLE, DET, and STL. The teams GB has defeated are all at .500 or below.

Jacksonville is a gamble that could pay off. They have a chance to get turnovers if Vince Young disintegrates. A safer choice might be MIA, hoping that they can persuade Sanchez to have another bad game.

What about Houston @ Buffalo?

The OP said:

but Cards, Chargers and even the Texans (who I was going to get) were grabbed before I could get them

:thumbsdown:

The OP said:

:thumbsdown:

I like that you pay attention...it's a rare commodity around here. :cheers:

What about me though? I could pick them up. :thumbsdown:

OP, you follow the Texans? How do you reckon they'll fare vs Buffalo?

My name isn't OP but I like Houston this week. It depends on your other options though.

What about me though? I could pick them up. :thumbsup:

OP, you follow the Texans? How do you reckon they'll fare vs Buffalo?

I was all set to jump on them this week, but got beaten to them, the Cards and the Chargers. Focking hate the WW. The defense the Texans have been playing lately is very underrated, not to mention that Jacoby Jones is becoming a threat to take one back every freakin time he's returning one. I liked them this week and they'd have been my 2nd choice after the Cards if they weren't taken already.

you wouldn't be trying to purposely steer a fellow Steeler wrong would you?

I know you're probably not, it's just very hard to stomach someone telling you to play the Lions D.

I do defense by committee in most of my leagues, so i start quite a few shitty defenses on a weekly basis. I have learned not to get scared, bad defense verse bad offense is safer than good defense verse good offense imo.

the Bears - available in a lot of leagues after last week's fiasco - should kill the clowns and they're at home. But be careful, Chicago ain't called "the windy city" for nothing - wind and rain could result in a completion or two for Cleveland.

Two notes on the Cards:

1. DRC is dinged and Rolle questionable this week. Not saying it is not a good matchup, but temper your expectations. The rest of the year tho, jeebus, what a great schedule!

2. Article in the local rag today talked about how they don't play "conservative" -- they'll throw while trying to run out the clock, they'll all out blitz instead of prevent defense. On the latter, they will always give up big plays and scores, but they will also get a lot of TOs and a decent amount of sacks. If your league doesn't penalize for score, they are IMO a must-be-owned defense going forward. If it does, they are still a good option.

Oh, and I know the OP doesn't have that option, but I'm sure this isn't a "who should I pick up" thread, and the Cards are available in a lot of leagues. :mad:

I also have the Packers D but am uneasy. They've put up good fantasy points, but this is mostly due to feasting on CLE, DET, and STL. The teams GB has defeated are all at .500 or below.

And in the two games the Packers have lost, the defense scored a touchdown in both games. Just saying..... :mad:

I was all set to jump on them this week, but got beaten to them, the Cards and the Chargers. Focking hate the WW. The defense the Texans have been playing lately is very underrated, not to mention that Jacoby Jones is becoming a threat to take one back every freakin time he's returning one. I liked them this week and they'd have been my 2nd choice after the Cards if they weren't taken already.

1st choice for me was CARDS .... but they were picked up right before me at the WW10 spot ... so I grabbed TEXANS at the WW11.

I think they will do well, Bills can't move the ball (altho old man FitzPat has a little spark left). But did you get the DOLPHINS yet???

I think I like the Saints. They're the top D in my league and they seem pretty consistent this year. Atlanta at home isn't the best matchup, but it's also not like playing Indy or NE either. Of the WW D's I'd probably go with the Lions (did I just say that? :cheers:). That's more of a reflection of the Rams offense being really bad as opposed to the Lions D being good.

To the people discussing the Cards and Packers, I have both and I'm starting the Cards with confidence. Delhomme sucks WAY too bad to not start them. :thumbsdown:

1st choice for me was CARDS .... but they were picked up right before me at the WW10 spot ... so I grabbed TEXANS at the WW11.

I think they will do well, Bills can't move the ball (altho old man FitzPat has a little spark left). But did you get the DOLPHINS yet???

no, i'm still kind of hanging. i had some trade offers out that would had opened up a roster spot for me but nobody is biting. will probably grab them but went back and looked and they weren't very successful vs NYJ in the 1st matchup so I'm still not sold. kicking myself for letting go of the cards D a couple of weeks ago. I'm still looking into using the Saints. Cowboys D put up solid pts vs the Falcons last week, guess the Saints could too :thumbsdown:

no, i'm still kind of hanging. i had some trade offers out that would had opened up a roster spot for me but nobody is biting. will probably grab them but went back and looked and they weren't very successful vs NYJ in the 1st matchup so I'm still not sold. kicking myself for letting go of the cards D a couple of weeks ago. I'm still looking into using the Saints. Cowboys D put up solid pts vs the Falcons last week, guess the Saints could too :dunno:

Saints? Oh heck yeah!!

Even though they have had matchups were you shouldn't play them (like last week) they still produce scores! Sharper has been an INT to the HOUSE machine ... and I'm just waiting for RBush to take a punt to the 10 yard line and then do his best Michael Jordan impersonation. This one vs ATL will be tough to watch but the Saints have ways of getting you points with other teams falling out of their original game plan and into their hands (literally).

Looking forward the Saints have NICE matchups ....

CAR

STL

TB

NE (sit)

WAS

ATL (flip coin)

DAL - Romo in December? Heck ya!!

TB - SuperBowl !!!

Saints? Oh heck yeah!!

Even though they have had matchups were you shouldn't play them (like last week) they still produce scores! Sharper has been an INT to the HOUSE machine ... and I'm just waiting for RBush to take a punt to the 10 yard line and then do his best Michael Jordan impersonation. This one vs ATL will be tough to watch but the Saints have ways of getting you points with other teams falling out of their original game plan and into their hands (literally).

Looking forward the Saints have NICE matchups ....

CAR

STL

TB

NE (sit)

WAS

ATL (flip coin)

DAL - Romo in December? Heck ya!!

TB - SuperBowl !!!

welp, it turns out the correct answer was...

The Miami Dolphins DST...2 Ted Ginn TD returns, 1 Jason Taylor fumble return, 2 sacks...28 pts later in my league.

But I still have the Saints going tonight, i decided to roll with them and also really didn't want to ditch them with the schedule they have. I figure between them and the Pack I can get a good matchup each week. Thanks for the input guys.

welp, it turns out the correct answer was...

The Miami Dolphins DST...2 Ted Ginn TD returns, 1 Jason Taylor fumble return, 2 sacks...28 pts later in my league.

But I still have the Saints going tonight, i decided to roll with them and also really didn't want to ditch them with the schedule they have. I figure between them and the Pack I can get a good matchup each week. Thanks for the input guys.

Holy crap was I on the money this week ...

LOVED: DOLPHINS, MCNABB, ALL EAGLE WRS

HATED: CUTLER, GARRARD.

I agree with the Saints assessment and believe they will be a treat the rest of the year.

Thank gawd the Cards D (-1) was picked up before me ... Texans D (+5) actually held up pretty good this week!