Sign in to follow this  
Blue_Star_Wrecking_Crew

Is Tanking always bad?

Here's the deal in a Yahoo league:

I was last night trailing by 2.5 points dropped Crosby and picked up Cundiff in order to have an empty kicker slot to automatically lose the game, which sent the commissioner into the playoffs and reduced another owners chances to almost 0. See, I'm 8-5 now, and trailing me is a guy at 7-6 who is behind me by around 70 points in total points..almost impossible to outscore in one week...and that's if I lose this upcoming week. The other guy was outscoring the commissioner and his matchup this upcoming week is difficult and and the tank victim is easy. Now the comish has a two game lead over the tank victim team with 1 game left and therefore is in the playoffs and I am also in since I have a one game lead over him and even if I lose I have more points.

My logic for doing this is the commish team that I helped has a very hard playoff schedule and I feel I would easily beat him if I played him in the playoffs. I have no regrets. I realize tanking as it is called is frowned upon but this commish team has a brutal playoff schedule with guys like forte. I feel this gives me a better chance to win and this is a money league on yahoo, not a free league.

So my question is this............was i wrong?

The point of fantasy is to win games and win a title.......I feel I did just that and helped "my" team.

Yes.

Collusion can help your team as well, so that's not solid enough justification imo. Call me old fashioned, but I think as long as everyone competes on the up & up, the league thrives. Ours is going on 15 or 16 years.

Good luck.

Yes.

Collusion can help your team as well, so that's not solid enough justification imo. Call me old fashioned, but I think as long as everyone competes on the up & up, the league thrives. Ours is going on 15 or 16 years.

Good luck.

I did not do this to burn a guy i hated....I saw the schedule and thought this gave me the best chance to win. This is a money league of strangers........I dont know the guy i burned.

I did not do this to burn a guy i hated....I saw the schedule and thought this gave me the best chance to win. This is a money league of strangers........I dont know the guy i burned.

Doesn't matter a bit. Stealing from a stranger isn't any better than stealing from a friend.

The point of fantasy is to win games and win a title.......I feel I did just that and helped "my" team.

a guy in one of my leagues just did this. We play in CBS and if you do not have a full lineup your roster is illegal and your scores do not count. Me and this guy were tied going into last week end for #1 SEED. The #1 seed would got to pick between the 2 wild card teams who they wanted to play. Well i had a big weekend and looked like we both would win both of our games but i had took the overall pts lead and he could not catch up so i would have won the tiebreaker. The 2nd overall seed would have to get the 2nd wild card team which actually most of us considered the 3rd best team. So he did not want to have to play him in first round. So the guy, who actually posts on here sometimes, had Crosby kicking last night. So he took him out of his lineup and made his team illegal and he lost both of his games. In the end i got the #1 seed and he dropped in standings and avoided the team he didnt want to play. I told him it was wrong to do it. We have no rule against it but in my view it was wrong.

i dont like it :dunno: But we all play to win and put our selves in better position to win so i can see the reasoning behind it. Another thing that pisses me off was i was playing his brother, who happens to be the commish and 2 time defending champ, in one of my matchups. He needed to win both games to just make playoffs. I needed a good night from Finley and got it. So i beat him and he still go in because another guy lost. But why this becomes involved is one of the guys in the same divsion with the guy who tanked almost tanked himself so he didnt get bad matchup. If he had did that the commish and defending champ who is defending the tanking move would not have made the playoffs. So i tried to explaiin to him that it is bad and of course he doesnt see it that way but i wish he got knocked out if the other guy had tanked :rolleyes:

"Sports do not build character. They reveal it" John Wooden

Here's the deal in a Yahoo league:

I was last night trailing by 2.5 points dropped Crosby and picked up Cundiff in order to have an empty kicker slot to automatically lose the game, which sent the commissioner into the playoffs and reduced another owners chances to almost 0. See, I'm 8-5 now, and trailing me is a guy at 7-6 who is behind me by around 70 points in total points..almost impossible to outscore in one week...and that's if I lose this upcoming week. The other guy was outscoring the commissioner and his matchup this upcoming week is difficult and and the tank victim is easy. Now the comish has a two game lead over the tank victim team with 1 game left and therefore is in the playoffs and I am also in since I have a one game lead over him and even if I lose I have more points.

My logic for doing this is the commish team that I helped has a very hard playoff schedule and I feel I would easily beat him if I played him in the playoffs. I have no regrets. I realize tanking as it is called is frowned upon but this commish team has a brutal playoff schedule with guys like forte. I feel this gives me a better chance to win and this is a money league on yahoo, not a free league.

I would not play with you! I would say it is pathetic.

I would not play with you! I would say it is pathetic.

read my earlier post i want to hear your thoughts :doublethumbsup:

D-U-D-E .. "f" everyone else; you did the RIGHT thing.

You play FF because it is fun .. BUT, you also play it "for the Benajmins!" :pointstosky:

I have done the same thing at least once or twice, and won Super-Bowls using that philosophy. So - no shame in it, in my opinion. :shocking:

This is pretty much exactly what I said in the other "tanking" thread. I really could give a sh!t about "integrity" in fantasy freaking football. If $$$ is on the line, you do whatever you think gives you the best chance to win, and if that's trying to get the teams into the playoffs that you think you can beat, then so be it. So what if someone "needs" you to win because they're 7-6, they should've been better than 7-6 and they wouldn't have to worry about other matchups.

In this case though I'd watch out, if you tank this week you're probably conceding some points. So say the other guy gets 20 more points than you this week, you may be only 50 points up going into next week, so depending on your scoring system it may not be out of the realm of possibility for him to catch up to you.

If you can handle another one...Yes you were wrong

The idea is to play the game and to play to win at the time of the game.

In my situation, where my team failed this year and should I continue to lose, I could end up with the number one draft in a keeper league next year. So going into this final regular season weekend and following your logic, it would be perfectly fine for me to lose. However doing so would have disrupted the playoff chances for a number of teams tied and trying for a position.

Would you consider that acceptable?

What if you were one of those teams that lost your chance for the playoffs because of my action?

You asked the question, so you must see where there was something wrong in what you did. Can you "atone" for your action? IMO - only if you admit it to the league and live by their decision.

if you go so far as to not even field a full lineup then yeah, you deserve to be hit by a truck.

2 suggestions to prevent these types of "games" from ever happening again. (doesn't exist in my 15 year league)

1, Award more $$$ for Total Points.

2, Implement a Loss Fee ($3 or $5 per).

Funny how money changes peoples behavior.

a guy in one of my leagues just did this. We play in CBS and if you do not have a full lineup your roster is illegal and your scores do not count. Me and this guy were tied going into last week end for #1 SEED. The #1 seed would got to pick between the 2 wild card teams who they wanted to play. Well i had a big weekend and looked like we both would win both of our games but i had took the overall pts lead and he could not catch up so i would have won the tiebreaker. The 2nd overall seed would have to get the 2nd wild card team which actually most of us considered the 3rd best team. So he did not want to have to play him in first round. So the guy, who actually posts on here sometimes, had Crosby kicking last night. So he took him out of his lineup and made his team illegal and he lost both of his games. In the end i got the #1 seed and he dropped in standings and avoided the team he didnt want to play. I told him it was wrong to do it. We have no rule against it but in my view it was wrong.

i dont like it :headbanger: But we all play to win and put our selves in better position to win so i can see the reasoning behind it. Another thing that pisses me off was i was playing his brother, who happens to be the commish and 2 time defending champ, in one of my matchups. He needed to win both games to just make playoffs. I needed a good night from Finley and got it. So i beat him and he still go in because another guy lost. But why this becomes involved is one of the guys in the same divsion with the guy who tanked almost tanked himself so he didnt get bad matchup. If he had did that the commish and defending champ who is defending the tanking move would not have made the playoffs. So i tried to explaiin to him that it is bad and of course he doesnt see it that way but i wish he got knocked out if the other guy had tanked :headbanger:

I am the owner that PatSox speaks of.....#1. I play to win with in the rules of my league. Tanking these games helped my team. #2. Tanking these games could not and did not keep another team from making the playoffs.. IT ONLY changed seedings for 3 teams and gave me a better match up on paper. #3 I would have really struggled with doing it if it could have kept a team from NOT making the playoffs.

Fantasy Football is a strategic game in which we/I have spent countless hours checking players, match ups, weather, etc. for any advantage I can get ...thru that hard work I had put myself in position to impact my playoff schedule...Should I not be the beneficiary of that hard work?

I am the owner that PatSox speaks of.....#1. I play to win with in the rules of my league. Tanking these games helped my team. #2. Tanking these games could not and did not keep another team from making the playoffs.. IT ONLY changed seedings for 3 teams and gave me a better match up on paper. #3 I would have really struggled with doing it if it could have kept a team from NOT making the playoffs.

Fantasy Football is a strategic game in which we/I have spent countless hours checking players, match ups, weather, etc. for any advantage I can get ...thru that hard work I had put myself in position to impact my playoff schedule...Should I not be the beneficiary of that hard work?

you were the guy who screwed over patsox's team? LOL........ :headbanger: Fantasy is about winning... you do what you have to do......setting your roster is your call and if that roster lineup hurts someone else,it might be poor taste maybe even rude.....but if you do it to help your team then it is legal and right. Any owner whining about tanking should have drafted a better team and not been at the mercy of the other team.

you were the guy who screwed over patsox's team? LOL........ :headbanger: Fantasy is about winning... you do what you have to do......setting your roster is your call and if that roster lineup hurts someone else,it might be poor taste maybe even rude.....but if you do it to help your team then it is legal and right. Any owner whining about tanking should have drafted a better team and not been at the mercy of the other team.

No he did not screw me over :headbanger: Me and him were tied for #1 seed going into final week and after my dominating performance Sunday he realized he could not get the #1 seed and neither of us wanted the #2 seed. The #2 seed had to play the second wild card team who both of us consider the 3rd best team.(have Rivers, AP and RICE)

I never said it was bad strategy. It could just open a whole can of worms in the future. Yes this year it did not effect anyone making or not making the playoffs but in the future years it could. I DO NOT THINK THAT IS RIGHT. :nono: But the commish said he will not make a rule against it so just have to be prepared for someone to be a FOCKING JERK :dunno:

No he did not screw me over :music_guitarred: Me and him were tied for #1 seed going into final week and after my dominating performance Sunday he realized he could not get the #1 seed and neither of us wanted the #2 seed. The #2 seed had to play the second wild card team who both of us consider the 3rd best team.(have Rivers, AP and RICE)

I never said it was bad strategy. It could just open a whole can of worms in the future. Yes this year it did not effect anyone making or not making the playoffs but in the future years it could. I DO NOT THINK THAT IS RIGHT. :thumbsdown: But the commish said he will not make a rule against it so just have to be prepared for someone to be a FOCKING JERK :doublethumbsup:

so you now play the rivers, adp, rice team in playoffs? wow. he focked you over something fierce. there could be 70 points from those three guys alone this week. Keep me posted on outcome of game.....i want to know if you win or lose...

I've entertained the notion of being cute and "resting my starters" this week in one league. I have the top record, but the guy almost certain to grab the last playoff spot has a team that's really rounded into form lately. If we hit in week 15, he's probably going to clobber me, as his entire team has extremely favorable matchups that week (against St. Louis, Cleveland, Detroit, etc.). If I lose this week, I'd play a much less formidable team that was killing it early but whose players have struggled in the second half of the year.

I'm not going to tank, but the fact that I'd feel the need to suggests that maybe we need to think about some better payout rewards for next year's league, or some weekly options like plasma george suggested. I've seen lots of people on here talk about how their leagues let the top seeds choose their opponents for the first round of the playoffs, and people discuss regular-season points-winner payouts, too.

so you now play the rivers, adp, rice team in playoffs? wow. he focked you over something fierce. there could be 70 points from those three guys alone this week. Keep me posted on outcome of game.....i want to know if you win or lose...

NO dummy :music_guitarred: We both wanted the #1 seed to avoid playing that team. I got #1 seed so i avoided it and he TANKED his games so he could avoid them as well :doublethumbsup:

I've entertained the notion of being cute and "resting my starters" this week in one league. I have the top record, but the guy almost certain to grab the last playoff spot has a team that's really rounded into form lately. If we hit in week 15, he's probably going to clobber me, as his entire team has extremely favorable matchups that week (against St. Louis, Cleveland, Detroit, etc.). If I lose this week, I'd play a much less formidable team that was killing it early but whose players have struggled in the second half of the year.

I'm not going to tank, but the fact that I'd feel the need to suggests that maybe we need to think about some better payout rewards for next year's league, or some weekly options like plasma george suggested. I've seen lots of people on here talk about how their leagues let the top seeds choose their opponents for the first round of the playoffs, and people discuss regular-season points-winner payouts, too.

in the league i am talking about we tried 3 divisions this year and the #1 seed chooses between 2 wild cards who they want to play. But we still had a TANKING this year. The best way to avoid this CRAP in the future i think is to either make a rule against it or just simply charge people per loss like i have read. I think the only way to stop this is a rule. Cause if you charge per loss and say its only $2 or $5 a loss.(we play 2 games a week) most people are going to be willing to pay $10 to get a better week 1 playoff matchup and if you charge more per loss people not gonna like that.

NO dummy :music_guitarred: We both wanted the #1 seed to avoid playing that team. I got #1 seed so i avoided it and he TANKED his games so he could avoid them as well :doublethumbsup:

lol. hard to decipher your broken english..... here is some info......you called me dumb for starting thomas jones over rice last week but TJ scored me 10 points and rice got only 4 points.

Hey. Soxy,,,Mr Dumb Dumb. Good call on the TJ rice thing.......oh wait...............let me roll my eyes back at you......:thumbsdown:

I work very hard, take continuing education to master my craft, and spend countless hours striving to make a living. I often come in early and stay late.

Because of that, I'm often in a position to enhance my income by going through the client info left on other people's desks.

Doesn't mean I'm entitled to it.

It's like when athletes counter questions about themselves with the "Hey, I don't get arrested. Never used performance enhancing drugs. Take care of my kids..."

That's what you're supposed to do. Acting as a responsible person or competitive ff owner doesn't entitle you to extras.

You Tank and Karma gets you everytime...

lol. hard to decipher your broken english..... here is some info......you called me dumb for starting thomas jones over rice last week but TJ scored me 10 points and rice got only 4 points.

Hey. Soxy,,,Mr Dumb Dumb. Good call on the TJ rice thing.......oh wait...............let me roll my eyes back at you......:wall:

i still would not have started Jones over Rice :shocking:

I work very hard, take continuing education to master my craft, and spend countless hours striving to make a living. I often come in early and stay late.

Because of that, I'm often in a position to enhance my income by going through the client info left on other people's desks.

Doesn't mean I'm entitled to it.

It's like when athletes counter questions about themselves with the "Hey, I don't get arrested. Never used performance enhancing drugs. Take care of my kids..."

That's what you're supposed to do. Acting as a responsible person or competitive ff owner doesn't entitle you to extras.

My $100 buy in is what entitled me to play my team as I see fit under the league rules!!!

My $100 buy in is what entitled me to play my team as I see fit under the league rules!!!

:unsure: :D im gonna go and smack the SH!T out of dam elephant boy right now fella's. He can not get it through his thick trunk that "tanking" is bad. We all pay but we all dont play like A$$holes :headbanger:

MLB, NBA, even the NFL will rest players down the stretch so that it BENEFITS THEM..... they don't give 2 shits about the OTHER teams and their situations nor should they.... If they are in position to HELP themselves out by resting players so that they are in a more rested, WEL positoned spot for the playoffs they do it. They do this because it is smart and it is GOOD STRATEGY not because they are jerks or ass holes.

MLB, NBA, even the NFL will rest players down the stretch so that it BENEFITS THEM..... they don't give 2 shits about the OTHER teams and their situations nor should they.... If they are in position to HELP themselves out by resting players so that they are in a more rested, WEL positoned spot for the playoffs they do it. They do this because it is smart and it is GOOD STRATEGY not because they are jerks or ass holes.

good one :D Resting your "FANTASY" players on your computers fantasy bench is just like benching a real live player in the NBA or NFL :headbanger: dam you really got us on that one :unsure:

it has not worked out so well in most cases. The NBA is some what of a joke down the stretch for people tanking it to get better draft picks. If im not mistaken they are trying to fix that.

No one ever said it was not good strategy. It just bad sportsmanship i guess you can call it.

:unsure: :D im gonna go and smack the SH!T out of dam elephant boy right now fella's. He can not get it through his thick trunk that "tanking" is bad. We all pay but we all dont play like A$$holes :headbanger:

If you all could see PATSOX in person you would understand why the idea of him smacking anyone is so funny....he gets on here and talks a bunch of ######....but in our league he is known as the crying ######.

If you all could see PATSOX in person you would understand why the idea of him smacking anyone is so funny....he gets on here and talks a bunch of ######....but in our league he is known as the crying ######.

Pachyderm is my Beatch and he knows it. If you looked at him you would think of a dam big bald headed vulcher :unsure: He is just mad at me cause i got the #1 seed and he decided to play like a little girl and bench his kicker now he is trying to defend it.

Pachyderm is my Beatch and he knows it. If you looked at him you would think of a dam big bald headed vulcher :unsure: He is just mad at me cause i got the #1 seed and he decided to play like a little girl and bench his kicker now he is trying to defend it.

nice.........we really have to be kept informed about this league.....i just have to know who wins out..........will it be sox and his #1 seed or the coward who tanked and got the #3 seed... :D

this is like a soap opera....cant take my eyes off.must see what happens next.......guys.....when do you strip off your clothes and start beetch slapping each other?

nice.........we really have to be kept informed about this league.....i just have to know who wins out..........will it be sox and his #1 seed or the coward who tanked and got the #3 seed... :unsure:

this is like a soap opera....cant take my eyes off.must see what happens next.......guys.....when do you strip off your clothes and start beetch slapping each other?

He is mad at me now :headbanger: I will probably lose 1st round now unless i decide to play this Ganther fella and he has big day cause my RB's have taken a big hit last week or so. :D

Correct me if I wrong....But if my memory serves me well...you were the #1 seed last year in your league....and who beat that a$$ for u in the championship...THATS RIGHT THE PACHYDERM...and by they way #1 seed...have you ever won the league?

You sure do have a lot of opinions for a owner that can't win the BIG ONE!!!

30 pieces of silver.

Hope you get all that you're entitled to.

Correct me if I wrong....But if my memory serves me well...you were the #1 seed last year in your league....and who beat that a$$ for u in the championship...THATS RIGHT THE PACHYDERM...and by they way #1 seed...have you ever won the league?

he did beat me in the championship game last year ill give him that :unsure: Even he will admit that he won the league with the worst dam team you have ever seen :D But he won thats all that matters. He won it because the dam Cowboys could not tackle fat A$$ McClain and he rolled down the field and rolled into the endzone :headbanger:

classic.....this clown has to be a joey gladstone alias.....He called himself "The Pachyderm"

On the real, if he beat you down last year then he has bragging rights and it looks like his tanking might have allowed him to beat you again patsox........

classic.....this clown has to be a joey gladstone alias.....He called himself "The Pachyderm"

On the real, if he beat you down last year then he has bragging rights and it looks like his tanking might have allowed him to beat you again patsox........

he actually beat me in my league last year :shocking: We play in 2 leagues together. Im #1 seed in the one he tanked in. Yes he does have braggin rights but i hope to change that. He now is picking on me cause i picked up Ganther and maybe counting on him. He actually has the better team in both leagues but has some injuries right now.