Sign in to follow this  
Quinton Ganther named starting Redskins RB...

Major news. He has looked very explosive and alot better then Rock

Skins promote RB Ganther to starting lineup Quinton Ganther - RB - WAS - Dec. 9 - 2:17 p.m. ET Coach Jim Zorn announced Wednesday that Quinton Ganther has taken over as the Redskins' starting tailback.

Rock Cartwright will go back to returning kicks. Ganther has a highly favorable Week 14 matchup at Oakland and can be used as a flex, but there's nothing to see here long term. The former seventh-round pick and sometimes-fullback has just 28 career carries in four seasons as a pro. While Ganther needs to be grabbed in all fantasy leagues as the starter for a suddenly explosive Skins offense, he won't solve the club's long-term tailback problem.

Major news. He has looked very explosive and alot better then Rock

Skins promote RB Ganther to starting lineup Quinton Ganther - RB - WAS - Dec. 9 - 2:17 p.m. ET Coach Jim Zorn announced Wednesday that Quinton Ganther has taken over as the Redskins' starting tailback.

Rock Cartwright will go back to returning kicks. Ganther has a highly favorable Week 14 matchup at Oakland and can be used as a flex, but there's nothing to see here long term. The former seventh-round pick and sometimes-fullback has just 28 career carries in four seasons as a pro. While Ganther needs to be grabbed in all fantasy leagues as the starter for a suddenly explosive Skins offense, he won't solve the club's long-term tailback problem.

ive been reading on him all day :thumbsdown: I just lost Slaton and basically Maroney cause Morris and too scared to start either of them. Ganther has been averaging over 6 yards per carry and Rock only like 2.5 yards per carry. I just picked up Ganther and may start him in my RB3/flex spot :clap:

RB Quinton Ganther, WAS

If you're not a Redskins fan, and even if you are, then the name Quinton Ganther likely doesn't mean much. When the year began Ganther's chances of seeing any playing time let alone 19 carries in 4 games was little to no chance at all. Starting the season off behind Portis, Betts and Cartwright it would take a mess of injuries to get to Quinton. Well fast forward to week 10 and that is exactly what happened. Portis is out with a concussion and Betts is out for the year with a torn ACL, MCL. This left the Redskins with Cartwright and Ganther. Last week Quinton led Washington with 8 carries for 46 yards against a tough New Orleans defense. In the next couple of games Washington will face the 30th ranked Raiders run defense and a Giants defense which has allowed 15 rushing touchdowns. If Portis does not return to the field this week then I doubt he comes back this year. If you have an opportunity to grab Ganther give him a shot a little extra depth can't hurt.

Wow I was counting on starting the Rock I guess I need to pick up this dude. Five other teams have $50 bidding dollars, I need to start this guy should I do all 50, I want to pu Bess also. Fock

crap... now i gotta decide if i play ganther or caddy...

i may have found a FLEX player :music_guitarred: I love his matchup against Oakland this week and i read Ganther is from Oakland so he should be extra fired up this week. With my luck he with be freakin awful if i start him and have 140 and 2 TDs if i sit him. Couldnt pass up chance to get starting RB in week 14 even if it is for the Redskins. Cambell is playing alot better now. Now i have to pick between: Maroney, Morris, Sproles, and Ganther :doublethumbsup:

I put in a waiver request for him. If I get him I'll have to decide between him @ OAK, PT @ ATL, or Knowshon @ IND. We get minimal pts for yds (3/50) so Moreno kinda scares me against IND (seeing what happened w/CJ3 last week). I MAY use him as my flex but don't know which one I'd bench? His match-up is too tasty against OAK not to use him, right?

I put ina waiver request for him. If I get him I'll have to decide between him @ OAK, PT @ ATL, or Knowshon @ IND. We get minimal pts for nyds (3/50) so I MAY use him as my flex but don't know which on I'd bench? His matchup is too tasty against OAK not to use him, right?

That is exactly what i am thinking as well. I am curious to see where people have him ranked this week :music_guitarred: I looked at fantasytoolbox and they have early week 14 rankings and they had Rock ranked at 28 i think. who would you start Ganther over?? Moreno @ INDY, Harrison vs Pitt, Julius Jones @ Houston, Maroney vs Carolina?? :doublethumbsup:

ESPN has there early ones out and they still have Rock at #25 and Ganther at #48 so im sure that will change when they update rankings.

That is exactly what i am thinking as well. I am curious to see where people have him ranked this week :music_guitarred: I looked at fantasytoolbox and they have early week 14 rankings and they had Rock ranked at 28 i think. who would you start Ganther over?? Moreno @ INDY, Harrison vs Pitt, Julius Jones @ Houston, Maroney vs Carolina?? :doublethumbsup:

ESPN has there early ones out and they still have Rock at #25 and Ganther at #48 so im sure that will change when they update rankings.

I actually started a thread about Harrison vs. PITT, and planned on using him in a PPR league until I found out what a Quinton Ganther was. Sounds like I'll be starting him over Harrison.

this is going to be one of those...

he starts the game, gets 2 carries, they go 3 and out and they bring rock in the next dribe

Rotoworld just listed their's as well and Rock is @ 38 and he's down at 49. In your case, I'd start him over Harrison for sure and JJ, and with Morris back maybe over Maroney as well. I have the same question about Moreno.

Redskins homer here. I don't see what all the excitement is about. Ganther is not all that special and it will still be a three-headed committee with Cartwright and Mason. Us him only if you're absolutely desperate.

Rotoworld just listed their's as well and Rock is @ 38 and he's down at 49. In your case, I'd start him over Harrison for sure and JJ, and with Morris back maybe over Maroney as well. I have the same question about Moreno.

I dont have Harrison i am just wonder where people would rank him. I do have a very interesting decision to make. I have Maroney and Morris vs Carolina, Sproles vs Dallas and Maclin vs Giants and now this Ganther fella vs Oakland. I need to play one in my flex spot. the NE RB situation just screws me up and i just lost Slaton :wall:

Redskins homer here. I don't see what all the excitement is about. Ganther is not all that special and it will still be a three-headed committee with Cartwright and Mason. Us him only if you're absolutely desperate.

Any RB that is starting against the Raiders gets me fired up :D Plus when you a looking for a flex back this sounds awful dam good right now :unsure: And to find a starting RB in week 14 on waiver wire is nice especially when you need one after Slaton is done and Maroney time to shine looks to be done.

in case anyone missed it here is what FFTODAY has posted on front page:

FF Today's Take: Owners who are searching for a viable replacement for Steve Slaton may want to consider Ganther, who could easily evolve as the fantasy postseason "hero" that always seems to emerge at this time of year. Ganther, who was a favorite of the Titans' coaching staff after they used a seventh-round pick on him in 2008, was injured in this year's training camp, losing out to rookie Javon Ringer. He makes for a fair flex option or desperation RB2 play this week vs. Oakland.

We have:

BUF F.Jackson,

DET K. Smith,

NYG A. Bradshaw,

OAK J. Fargas,

WAS Q. Ganther.

3 start and another is a 4th for a Playoff tiebreaker and one sits the bench.

I'm worried about K. Smith against a rugged Ravens D that has given up only 7 rushing TDs and under 100 yards a game on the ground. Maybe Fargas is the 4th (tiebreaker) and Bradshaw sits against an Eagles D. :unsure:

Maybe K. Smith is the 4th (tiebreaker).

Ganther was born in Oakland. I picked him up, but am now starting to worry that the start is "honorary," that he will get introduced with his friends and family looking on and then take his usual seat on the pine. I've been burned before with courtesy starts who carry three times for seven yards before taking a bow and sitting down. I need RB help real bad, but not that bad.

Ganther was born in Oakland. I picked him up, but am now starting to worry that the start is "honorary," that he will get introduced with his friends and family looking on and then take his usual seat on the pine. I've been burned before with courtesy starts who carry three times for seven yards before taking a bow and sitting down. I need RB help real bad, but not that bad.

THAT is not gonna happen here. Look for 15-18 carries. Maybe more.

Mason will get 5-8 carries and Rock will catch a few passes on 3rd down.

i dont think anyone in the NFL would give basically a rookie RB with 19 career carries a "honorary" start. It makes me want to start him more cause he is going to be even more motivated to have a big day infront of friends and family :unsure:

We have:

BUF F.Jackson,

DET K. Smith,

NYG A. Bradshaw,

OAK J. Fargas,

WAS Q. Ganther.

3 start and another is a 4th for a Playoff tiebreaker and one sits the bench.

I'm worried about K. Smith against a rugged Ravens D that has given up only 7 rushing TDs and under 100 yards a game on the ground. Maybe Fargas is the 4th (tiebreaker) and Bradshaw sits against an Eagles D. :D

I would do exactly the same thing :unsure:

Yahoo has their early weeks rankings out and the have Ganther at #20. Thats not bad. Rock fell down to #42

I would do exactly the same thing :unsure:

Okay, what about these WR we have:

NE R. Moss

NO M. Colston

OAK L. Murphy

MIA D. Bees

NO D. Henderson

NYG H. Nicks

3 start, 1 is a Playoff tiebreaker and 2 sit the bench.

I'm consulting him to start Moss, Colston & Murphy with Henderson as the tiebreaker.

That leaves Bess & Nicks on the bench.

I am worried because JAX is giving up 248 YPG in the air with 20 total TDs.

May switch. Not sure.

Some clarifying news.

Earlier Wednesday it was reported that Redskins RB Rock Cartwright said that Quinton Ganther would start at Oakland in Week 14, signaling the fourth starting running back for the Redskins this season. While head coach Jim Zorn admitted that Ganther would indeed start, it wasn't a guarantee of playing time. "Rock's going to play," Zorn said of Cartwright. "We'll decide, at some point, what's going to happen and what the rotation is going to be. But [Ganther] will take the first snap." Zorn said earlier in the week that RB Marcus Mason would also be involved, though it's expected that he won't see more than five touches.

http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/roto_...=fantasy,207729

Quinton Ganther to start at RB for Washington vs. Oakland By Andy Behrens

Within the headline above, you'll find all the fantasy advice you need regarding Quinton Ganther(notes). He'll reportedly start for Washington in Week 14 ahead of Rock Cartwright(notes), and he's facing Oakland, one of the NFL's worst run defenses. The Raiders have allowed 158.7 rushing yards per game and the third-most fantasy points to opposing running backs. They're as user-friendly as it gets. This is an outstanding matchup for Ganther. He's outperformed Cartwright decisively over the past two weeks, gaining 6.0 yards per carry to Rock's 2.75.

Not surprisingly, Cartwright isn't too pleased by the news (although he also sounds like a guy who can't believe he was ever a starter):

“I’m a little disappointed, but what can I do about it?” Cartwright said. “I’m not going to lose no sleep over it. I’ve still got a job.”

Ganther has been signed, released and re-signed by the Redskins during this season. The second-year back from Utah ran 13 times for 78 yards - a 6-yard average - while backing up Cartwright the last two games.

“I’m getting the opportunity that I haven’t had to show people what I can do,” Ganther said. “I just worked harder than anybody. The longer you keep you feet in the door, the better opportunity you have.”

Earlier in the week, Washington head coach Jim Zorn used the word "committee" to describe his backfield situation, so let's not assume Ganther will get 25 carries. He's a necessary short-term pickup nonetheless.

Go add Ganther, now.

His name sounds like something out of a cartoon or Star Trek.

i hope he runs like a cartoon and puts up cartoon like #s if i start him :shocking:

Zorn clarifies RB situation

Quinton Ganther, RB WAS

News: Earlier Wednesday it was reported that Redskins RB Rock Cartwright said that Quinton Ganther would start at Oakland in Week 14, signaling the fourth starting running back for the Redskins this season. While head coach Jim Zorn admitted that Ganther would indeed start, it wasn't a guarantee of playing time. "Rock's going to play," Zorn said of Cartwright. "We'll decide, at some point, what's going to happen and what the rotation is going to be. But [Ganther] will take the first snap." Zorn said earlier in the week that RB Marcus Mason would also be involved, though it's expected that he won't see more than five touches.

Analysis: Ganther had been productive in limited touches while Cartwright struggled in his role as the primary ball carrier. Expect whoever runs best against the Raiders to have an edge in playing time going forward. Both are no better than No. 3 or low-end flex choices in spite of their awesome matchup at Oakland in Week 14.

looks like i may be getting all fired up for nothing <_< Looks like it may be one of those 2 or 3 carries and back to the bench after all :shocking: I still may start him.

you guys must be desperate to be all happy about this guy ganther....the skins have said he is the starter but is not guaranteed the bulk of the carries just to go in the game first. Rock and a third rb are all getting carries. RBBC is bad enough, but on a crap team like the skins it is even worse. I dumped rock due to this news....all skins rbs the suck now.

you guys must be desperate to be all happy about this guy ganther....the skins have said he is the starter but is not guaranteed the bulk of the carries just to go in the game first. Rock and a third rb are all getting carries. RBBC is bad enough, but on a crap team like the skins it is even worse. I dumped rock due to this news....all skins rbs the suck now.

i am deperate <_< like i said before i lost Slaton and its hard to start Maroney now. And Sammy Morris is a risk and dont want to start Sproles when im already starting LT :shocking:

This time of the year with injuries etc any RB that start and might get 15+ carries is worth it. Every year around this time a Slaton , Gado etc comes along and you ride him to the championship. Could be Harrison. Charles , Ganther etc. Im stuck with K Smith , Hightower , Wells, Mcfadden and I had Brown ( hou) and dropped Brown for Ganther. It all depends on the situation. On my team Ganther is a starter, on someone elses he is barley worth taking notice.

I don't think you guys understand whats going on in Washington. Zorn saying Gaither is the starter is like saying Moss is the #1 WR for the Redskins. What does that really mean when your scoring average is in the low teens and you have no shot at the playoffs, no head coach, and the owner is a ######?

I'm not saying he is totally worthless, but this team is all about saving face now, and the more balls they can feed to those draft pick WR's the better. Even if Gaither is blowing the doors off at 10 ypc Snyder or anyone else doesn't give a scrap, it's all about cover your ass mode now.

I would pick up Leonard Weaver before I picked up Gaither

I don't think you guys understand whats going on in Washington. Zorn saying Gaither is the starter is like saying Moss is the #1 WR for the Redskins. What does that really mean when your scoring average is in the low teens and you have no shot at the playoffs, no head coach, and the owner is a ######?

I'm not saying he is totally worthless, but this team is all about saving face now, and the more balls they can feed to those draft pick WR's the better. Even if Gaither is blowing the doors off at 10 ypc Snyder or anyone else doesn't give a scrap, it's all about cover your ass mode now.

anytime you can pick up a starting RB in week 14 id atleast grab him and put him on your bench :banana: Atleast that way if he does go off you have him and are not play the team that has him and he goes off and beats the hell out of you :doublethumbsup:

anytime you can pick up a starting RB in week 14 id atleast grab him and put him on your bench :thumbsdown: Atleast that way if he does go off you have him and are not play the team that has him and he goes off and beats the hell out of you :shocking:

True. Very True.

All I'm saying is if you have better option please, please, please consider them. I have watched every single Redskins game this season. Clinton Portis was a great player on a terrible team with a terrible O-line. Don't expect much out of QG during these crucial times. :bandana:

And I hope that I'm wrong!

Actually, I don't think you understand. On the field, the Redskins are all about trying to win games. It doesn't matter what is going on behind the scenes. If Ganther (not Gaither) produces, and the Redskins are in the game, he will get the ball. In case you didn't notice, the Redskins have been very competitive since Sherm Lewis took over as OC.

I have watched every single Redskins game this season. Clinton Portis was a great player on a terrible team with a terrible O-line.

You must not have been watching carefully. Portis was terrible this year. Betts outplayed him, and Ganther looks like he might, as well. This Redskins team isn't terrible. They can beat any team in any given week. The O-line is bad, but they're playing well enough to give the team a shot at winning.

Clinton Portis was terrible. Did you see what Betts did after Portis was out. The line was not the problem, Portis was. And Ganther has himself run or 6ypc. Not saying that he is going to be anything special but the redskins are playing good football right now. With that mindset why bother with Snelling 2 weeks ago. Why bother with Jerome harrison etc. People were saying the same stuff about Samkon Gado and I rode his big games to my championship that year.

Nice read where Rock basically says he is going back to special teams and not to be the RB anymore. Sound like Rock himself does not expect to play anything more than special teams.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/b...s-78910917.html

Quinton Ganther will start at running back. It's official. Zorn on what he likes about Ganther: "His burst through the hole. He does a nice job as he runs the runs that are called, pressing the hole and then bursting through it. It's not easy to break down and it's not hard to see that burst."

...Rock Cartwright wasn't happy about being demoted -- again. We'll have more about that in Thursday's paper, but one snippet was this one: "It's kind of hard for a running back to get in a rhythm when you have five carries in the first series and then you don't carry the ball again until the second half. It's hard to produce that way. Going into the game and telling a back you're going to take two series and this guy is going to take two series, it's kind of hard to get hot. When you're doing running back by committee, you've kind of got to go off of feel, who's playing better. When you get somebody five carries in the first half and they don't play no more until the second half, of course you can't expect somebody to go out and be fresh right then. I mean, i can't control it so i'm not going to worry about it. I'm just going to do my part on special teams. I'm glad to be back with my guys on special teams. I'm going to go back to being the No. 1 guy on kickoff returns, hopefully. So I'm looking forward to the opportunity."

Who else is playing Ganther???? :( im about 80% sure im rolling with this unknown :overhead: It is so tempting with the skins playin the Raiders.