Sign in to follow this  
redtodd

Peyton is Benched?

Why play certain players at all than? Seems rather pointless to go all out for 3 QTRs only to pull Manning with a bunch of time left in a 1 score game.

Now the Jets are up 18-15... why wouldn't you want Manning in there trying to keep yourself undefeated on the season unless he went to the coach himself and asked to be pulled for some reason. I don't get it - pretty disappointing to go for the win most of the game only to tank it in the final minutes.

This seals the fate of the Colts. They are done!

It's almost more disheartening for the starters to practice and play their @$$es off for 2.5 quarters, build a lead, only to end up losing the game. That's no "moral victory". I'm sorry, but moral victories don't exist past the age of about 7.

But what is the point of playing 2 or 3 quarters, and then argue that we need to pull players to prevent them from injuries. So they can play the first 59 quarters of the season, but not the 60th? Really?

Ok now your starting to get it :pointstosky: :doublethumbsup: I can see them coming out of a 35-10 game but a dam 15-10 game???? makes as little sense as i usually do. :shocking:

They were up 15-10 not 35-10 :pointstosky: The main reason i give the Colts fans crap is because they seem to do this every year and nearly every year it does not work.(beside one year they won) So why the hell not try and play through season keep momentum :shocking: They just had 10 days off before this game and will get another bye in 2 weeks. We all saw what the VaGiants did in 2007. They got hot stayed hot and won it.

Try something different if your strategy has not worked in past :doublethumbsup: I wanted to see them go for it. Did i want them to do it no but i wanted to see them try.

Exactly - why can't you post more like this, instead of labeling Peyton Manning and the Colts poosays and b!tches, etc. etc.

It's almost more disheartening for the starters to practice and play their @$$es off for 2.5 quarters, build a lead, only to end up losing the game. That's no "moral victory". I'm sorry, but moral victories don't exist past the age of about 7.

But what is the point of playing 2 or 3 quarters, and then argue that we need to pull players to prevent them from injuries. So they can play the first 59 quarters of the season, but not the 60th? Really?

The only one calling it a "moral victory" is you. Its a loss.

Playing 2-3 quarters is about balancing risk and reward. This really isn't complicated stuff. I understand that you disagree with the decision, but don't pretend that there aren't good reasons for the franchise to do exactly what they're doing.

Exactly - why can't you post more like this, instead of labeling Peyton Manning and the Colts poosays and b!tches, etc. etc.

:pointstosky: because it gets you fired up :shocking:

i know it doesnt piss me off as much as it probably pisses you off but i did want them to go for it but knew they would not. hell ill call Brady a Pussay and Moss a thug punk beatch so dont put to much stock in my name calling. But i did tell you the Jets would win today :doublethumbsup: I think it was very unmanly to pull the starters at the time they did.

The only one calling it a "moral victory" is you. Its a loss.

Playing 2-3 quarters is about balancing risk and reward. This really isn't complicated stuff. I understand that you disagree with the decision, but don't pretend that there aren't good reasons for the franchise to do exactly what they're doing.

Well let's see:

Pros:

-Rest - We've already proven this hasn't given us an edge. Not only that, but it has probably negatively affected our playoff performances. We had 10 days of rest coming into this game, and will get a bye week after our next game.

-Injury prevention - Enough said...although let's be honest, Manning doesn't have much of an injury label. I really am never concerned with him getting injured.

Cons:

-It hasn't worked in the past.

-Separates the locker room - Manning and others CLEARLY wanted to play. It's disheartening to not be able to play after working hard all week and getting pulled in a close, winnable game.

-Puts a halt to team camaraderie and team chemistry and momentum. We've seen with 2007 Giants and last year's Cardinals, that carrying momentum into the playoffs can take you all the way to a SuperBowl, and even win it. We now longer have that. It will be almost a full month from our last competitive game to our first playoff game.

So you tell me - which side outweighs the other?

But what if one of them did get injured, and were lost for the playoffs? You can see what the backups look like just by looking at the final third of the game today. Even if its a 1% chance, or whatever, there's just no justification to risk it. Its cold calculus.

Look at it this way: going for a "perfect season" is the easy call. Minimizing the risk of injury (starters play 2/3 of the game) is the hard call.

It takes a man like Polian to make the hard calls.

But as someone said earlier, and using your analogy, how often have Manning / Wayne / Clark missed games due to injury? Yes, you are right not very often at all.

What about the other teams (Baltimore, Pitt, Houston, etc.) that sat and watched Indys' 2nd stringers give the Jets a game. I know the Colts don't care, but the NFL should. Man up for fock sakes and play the damn game! And what about the fans that pay big bucks to watch the big names? They should feel cheated.

I know I am just a pi$$ed off FF player that watched my TE come out of a very close game, pretty much blowing my Championship hopes. I really do not dislike the Colts, I just hate the decision on so many levels. And this very well may come back to haunt them.

Of course I also hate the fact that teams can start to kneel on the ball with 3:00 left in a game too, so what do I know?

why can't you post more like this, instead of labeling Peyton Manning and the Colts poosays and b!tches, etc. etc.

listen man, that other Colts fan in this thread sounds like a bitter Colts fan. I'm not sure why he's still bitter, MAnning is amazing and the Colts have won the SB.

As a Pats fan, I love the Colts. I love what this rivalry had done for us.

Is Manning better than Brady? right now he is, you bet your ass.

but it goes back and forth a bit and in the end this is football's version of Bird/Magic.

A lot of Pats fans were hoping Manning wouldn't go undefeated... everywhere in NE, fans were rooting agianst Manning.

I wasn't.

I was hoping they'd go undefeated and lose only IF they played NE.

If Manning goes undefeated (not just regular season) it really puts an exalamation mark on this whole era of Brady Manning, NE IND, Polian Belichick.

There is no more caling Brady a system QB or Manning a choker. Both players and teams have risen to heights we fans could only dream of.

The question now is simply how great has this all really been? Where does this era and these rivalries rank in history.

But by not going for it, IND cheapens it. IND leaves us all wondering just how good it all is.

listen man, that other Colts fan in this thread sounds like a bitter Colts fan. I'm not sure why he's still bitter, MAnning is amazing and the Colts have won the SB.

As a Pats fan, I love the Colts. I love what this rivalry had done for us.

Is Manning better than Brady? right now he is, you bet your ass.

but it goes back and forth a bit and in the end this is football's version of Bird/Magic.

A lot of Pats fans were hoping Manning wouldn't go undefeated... everywhere in NE, fans were rooting agianst Manning.

I wasn't.

I was hoping they'd go undefeated and lose only IF they played NE.

If Manning goes undefeated (not just regular season) it really puts an exalamation mark on this whole era of Brady Manning, NE IND, Polian Belichick.

There is no more caling Brady a system QB or Manning a choker. Both players and teams have risen to heights we fans could only dream of.

The question now is simply how great has this all really been? Where does this era and these rivalries rank in history.

But by not going for it, IND cheapens it. IND leaves us all wondering just how good it all it.

Well cheers to you my friend :doublethumbsup:

You are a rare-breed of Patriots fans, but I appreciate the support, and wish you the best of luck.

-Separates the locker room - Manning and others CLEARLY wanted to play. It's disheartening to not be able to play after working hard all week and getting pulled in a close, winnable game.

-Puts a halt to team camaraderie and team chemistry and momentum. We've seen with 2007 Giants and last year's Cardinals, that carrying momentum into the playoffs can take you all the way to a SuperBowl, and even win it.

Step back from the ledge, pal. If you honestly think this is going to "divide the locker room" or "halt team camaraderie" then I'm not sure we have much to discuss. These are highly-compensated professional NFL players on the most successful franchise in recent history. The simple fact is that with Peyton behind center, the Colts have a chance to win any game, any time. That's the most you can hope for in this league. Rest, don't rest, undefeated, whatever -- it just doesn't matter.

Step back from the ledge, pal. If you honestly think this is going to "divide the locker room" or "halt team camaraderie" then I'm not sure we have much to discuss. These are highly-compensated professional NFL players on the most successful franchise in recent history. The simple fact is that with Peyton behind center, the Colts have a chance to win any game, any time. That's the most you can hope for in this league. Rest, don't rest, undefeated, whatever -- it just doesn't matter.

I don't mean players will divide against other players, but you don't think there's even a handful of players questioning Caldwell's/Polian's decision????

This is all a small "con", so I don't mean for it to sound season-ending, but don't forget that these players have incentive-laden contracts. I'd bet at least one player will miss a certain incentive by not playing this week/next week.

I just think players are really, really, really disappointed with the decision, which can't help but lead to some degree of division.

I just think players are really, really, really disappointed with the decision, which can't help but lead to some degree of division.

I think you're wrong. The Colts (Polian, Caldwell) have always said that the "perfect season" is not a goal for this franchise. They've been saying this week after week after week after week. The players knew it, the media knew it, the fans knew it.

I think the players are disappointed that given 2/3 of a game with the starters -- which was the right call for the franchise -- the team couldn't get a W. As a fan, I share that disappointment.

But the "perfect season"? Fark it. Seriously ... Fark it in the ear. I don't care about it. No one gives a ###### when the Pats trot out their "16-0" record -- why would I want it? Win the division, home field for the playoffs, beat New England, Super Bowl appearance -- that's my definition of perfect season. My quest for perfection is still ongoing; sorry yours ended.

This is all a small "con", so I don't mean for it to sound season-ending, but don't forget that these players have incentive-laden contracts. I'd bet at least one player will miss a certain incentive by not playing this week/next week.

Think of the possible commercial opportunities that guys might have had by being on a 19-0 team. It would probably be nothing to guys like Manning, Wayne, and Clark, but to others it could be significant.

And of course, Mercury Morris could be shut up.

Well cheers to you my friend :doublethumbsup:

You are a rare-breed of Patriots fans, but I appreciate the support, and wish you the best of luck.

why is he rare because he doesnt bust your balls :dunno: I was pulling for the Colts to go for it not to get it. As a former athlete i could not imagine not trying to go for it. Plus i dont want the dam Jets to get in. :music_guitarred:

I like to see history being made not shy away from it.

One thing's certain after watching that game: Peyton Manning is the MVP.

Once he went out, they sucked.

Maybe the Indy brass just wanted to show how valuable Manning really is? LOL.

Meanwhile, the NY Jets could quite possibly have a playoff berth all but handed to them. Needing two wins to make the postseason, the Jets beat Curtis Painter this week, and may get a Cincy team starting JT O'Sullivan next week.

Meanwhile, the NY Jets could quite possibly have a playoff berth all but handed to them. Needing two wins to make the postseason, the Jets beat Curtis Painter this week, and may get a Cincy team starting JT O'Sullivan next week.

you were just watching sportscenter :doublethumbsup: you need to put that in quotes :music_guitarred: :dunno:

But the "perfect season"? Fark it. Seriously ... Fark it in the ear. I don't care about it. No one gives a ###### when the Pats trot out their "16-0" record -- why would I want it? Win the division, home field for the playoffs, beat New England, Super Bowl appearance -- that's my definition of perfect season. My quest for perfection is still ongoing; sorry yours ended.

wow.

your definition of perfect proves how jaded and beaten you are.

beat New England is really part of it for you?

and

a SuperBowl appearance?

so as long as you beat NE and make it to the Superbowl, that's perfect?

this defines perfect for you more than 19-0?

I used to see this with Red Sox fans and the Yankees... Sox fans just wanted to beat NY, nothing else mattered. Boston was NY's biatch for so long, that they lost all sense of winning/losing/success.

I figured after Manning won the SB that most of that subsided for IND (as it should have).

wow.

your definition of perfect proves how jaded and beaten you are.

beat New England is really part of it for you?

and

a SuperBowl appearance?

so as long as you beat NE and make it to the Superbowl, that's perfect?

this defines perfect for you more than 19-0?

I used to see this with Red Sox fans and the Yankees... Sox fans just wanted to beat NY, nothing else mattered. Boston was NY's biatch for so long, that they lost all sense of winning/losing/success.

I figured after Manning won the SB that most of that subsided for IND (as it should have).

Sorry troll, I give you a 2/10.

Yes, beating the Patriots is important to me as a Colts fan. The Colts and the Patriots have the one of the most heated current rivalries in the NFL, made unique because of their pre-realignment history and the fact that its (one of) the only non-intra-divisional rivalries in football that seems to get played every year. Even Bob Costas called the 2009 version the "Game of the Year." You might remember it ... let me jog your memory. "Fourth-and-two" mean anything to you, sunshine?

Or perhaps you don't consider it a rivalry because the Colts have won 5 of the last 6. Yes the rivalry has lost some of its luster due to the Patriots backslide in recent years, but a rivalry is a rivalry even when its lopsided. It would be nice if the Patriots were more competitive in the series, but I'm very happy with the win nonetheless. So yeah, I stand by my post.

That argument loses all meaning when you run your starters for the first 3 quarters anyway. Is the fourth quarter the 'injury' quarter? It was okay to risk injury for 3 quarters, but that last one is unsafe?

:first:

You, sir, are clueless

And just finding ways to insult the Colts and/or Peyton Manning.

Actually, I think you are the clueless one.

Manning, as the competitor he is, wanted to play and doesn't deserve any flack. The Colts, on the other hand, managed this pretty poorly and do deserve some heat. Cowardly.

Cowardly.

Excuse me? "Cowardly?" Who or what exactly were the Colts afraid of?

You sir, prove my philosophy on Colts haters: haters hate. They don't need a reason, logic or truth to support them. They hate us because we're the Colts and they're not.

Jax: LOL. Suck it, divisional also-ran.

Sorry troll, I give you a 2/10.

Yes, beating the Patriots is important to me as a Colts fan. The Colts and the Patriots have the one of the most heated current rivalries in the NFL, made unique because of their pre-realignment history and the fact that its (one of) the only non-intra-divisional rivalries in football that seems to get played every year. Even Bob Costas called the 2009 version the "Game of the Year." You might remember it ... let me jog your memory. "Fourth-and-two" mean anything to you, sunshine?

Or perhaps you don't consider it a rivalry because the Colts have won 5 of the last 6. Yes the rivalry has lost some of its luster due to the Patriots backslide in recent years, but a rivalry is a rivalry even when its lopsided. It would be nice if the Patriots were more competitive in the series, but I'm very happy with the win nonetheless. So yeah, I stand by my post.

Wow... Colts lose a game and their "low end" fans come out of the wood work to beat their chest.

"sunshine"... what a loser.

That was the biggest poosy move I've seen in years and years and years in any sport. Even if Indy wins the Super Bowl I'll always look down on the 2009 Colts.

I had really gained a lot of respect for Peyton over the last few seasons but he definitely dropped a notch in my book for allowing that to happen today.

SELFISH! The fans of Indy deserved better than that.

Pros:

-Rest - We've already proven this hasn't given us an edge. Not only that, but it has probably negatively affected our playoff performances. We had 10 days of rest coming into this game, and will get a bye week after our next game.

-Injury prevention - Enough said...although let's be honest, Manning doesn't have much of an injury label. I really am never concerned with him getting injured.

Cons:

-It hasn't worked in the past.

-Puts a halt to team camaraderie and team chemistry and momentum. We've seen with 2007 Giants and last year's Cardinals, that carrying momentum into the playoffs can take you all the way to a SuperBowl, and even win it. We now longer have that. It will be almost a full month from our last competitive game to our first playoff game.

So you tell me - which side outweighs the other?

ME AND KMBRYANT basically don't agree very often. He has often taken the side of the Colts and Peyton. He is 100 percent correct here. Cowardly, lame, bad strategy.

You sir, prove my philosophy on Colts haters: haters hate. They don't need a reason, logic or truth to support them. They hate us because we're the Colts and they're not.

Do I really have to explain it to you?

The only good thing that came out of this game was that we were doing very well against one of the top defenses in the league and our starters were moving the ball and scoring points against them.

Yes, I wanted to see us finish the game with our starters and Manning was begging to get back in there. But it was still the coaches call. That is his place, he will have to answer to the fans, as we booed Painter and him and shouted we want Peyton.

That was the biggest poosy move I've seen in years and years and years in any sport.

Funny .... I would have said the Patriots cheating, denying it, trying to destroy the evidence, and then getting caught anyway, was the biggest poosey move I've seen in years and years and years in any sport.

Wow... Colts lose a game and their "low end" fans come out of the wood work to beat their chest.

it's one of two things:

either he's a Pats fan trying to make the Colts fans look bad (we have a few posters who play this game effectively)

OR

he's the Colts' drobeski.

either way, it ain't good.

and for BBO:

this isn't on Manning.

this was a coaching/front office decision... and a poor one at that.

Funny .... I would have said the Patriots cheating, denying it, trying to destroy the evidence, and then getting caught anyway, was the biggest poosey move I've seen in years and years and years in any sport.

Well than you would be a freaking idiot. "Trying to destroy evidence" is the gayest thing anybody has ever written about Spygate on this forum. Truly. Do you accuse your boyfriend of cheating on you everytime he goes out without permission because you have a serious conspiracy thing going on.

Not trying to win every game is a lame move. Poosey move. Whatever move.

PS THIS MESSAGE WILL SELF DESTRUCT IN 3...2...

I'm a Colts fan, and agree that it was the cowardly play. We wanted to take our guys out with a lead and lose a game so we could say "well, see, we had it but just chose to let them beat us." We've done this multiple times now and it looks like we're afraid of going for it and falling short. Seriously, Peyton never even gets hit. Why take him out to protect him? And if that's the case, why play him for 3 quarters?

I'm a Colts fan, and agree that it was the cowardly play. We wanted to take our guys out with a lead and lose a game so we could say "well, see, we had it but just chose to let them beat us." We've done this multiple times now and it looks like we're afraid of going for it and falling short. Seriously, Peyton never even gets hit. Why take him out to protect him? And if that's the case, why play him for 3 quarters?

Me gets it.

I think it's 4 games straight now that Manning hasn't been sacked?

the whole deal is a fear of failure tactic... if you don't try, you can't fail.

and it's weak.

Me gets it.

I think it's 4 games straight now that Manning hasn't been sacked?

the whole deal is a fear of failure tactic... if you don't try, you can't fail.

and it's weak.

Wow, you make an amazing point!! I'm sure Polian, Caldwell and Moore were all afraid of losing their jobs if they tried to go undefeated and failed. I mean, they were already on the hot-seat already, right?

I clearly underestimated your knowledge of the Colt's franchise and its mental state. You, sir, have proven to me that you are the foremost expert on failure I have ever seen. I bow in your presence.

Wow, you make an amazing point!! I'm sure Polian, Caldwell and Moore were all afraid of losing their jobs if they tried to go undefeated and failed. I mean, they were already on the hot-seat already, right?

I clearly underestimated your knowledge of the Colt's franchise and its mental state. You, sir, have proven to me that you are the foremost expert on failure I have ever seen. I bow in your presence.

You're a dick. And terrible at discussing things. You realize we said nothing about getting fired or anything. But keep being obtuse, as it makes it much more obvious that you're just trolling as the rest of us Colts fans are basically in agreement on this and at least being respectful to those with a differing opinion. Stop making us look retarded.

You're a dick. And terrible at discussing things. You realize we said nothing about getting fired or anything. But keep being obtuse, as it makes it much more obvious that you're just trolling as the rest of us Colts fans are basically in agreement on this and at least being respectful to those with a differing opinion. Stop making us look retarded.

Give me a break. You call yourself a fan, but you fail to support the general manager and coach who constructed the most successful team in 2009 and in the 2000's all-together? That's your prerogative, but don't you dare question my support for the team when I also support the men who made the team.

Not everyone who is a fan is an intelligent fan. You, sir, are case in point.

Stop making us look retarded.

that's ruh-tard to you.

now you know how I feel then the dregs of Patriot Nation post around here.

it's nice to see a few of you Colts regulars that get it.

Give me a break. You call yourself a fan, but you fail to support the general manager and coach who constructed the most successful team in 2009 and in the 2000's all-together? That's your prerogative, but don't you dare question my support for the team when I also support the men who made the team.

What did you do, start drinking heavily when Painter entered the game?

Me thinks you are either drunk of way too full of yourself... this bouncing between calling people "sir" and telling them to "suck it" makes me think that is what you want some guy to actually do while you stare longingly at your Peyton Fathead on the wall of your parent's basement.

While it's hard to deny that the general manager, coaches and owner of the Colts have constructed one of the most successful teams in the 2000's, what happened today defined: why the Colt's haven't won more Superbowls. They lack a killer instinct.... the instinct to finish something.

Coach Caldwell stated that the Colts never had "going undefeated" as a goal. Can't your goals be changed??? He stated that one of the goals was the Superbowl. Okay... why would the Superbowl be your goal? Is it because it puts a ring on your finger and puts your team in the record books? If this is the case, wouldn't going undefeated and winning the Superbowl be 2x, 5x, 10x fold that???? Every year some team wins the Superbowl!!! How many teams have been there....DONE THAT! Only 1 other team has gone undefeated and won a Superbowl. THAT'S A GOAL WORTH ACHEIVING, IS IT NOT! IF I WERE A COLTS FAN, I'D BE PISSED!

BERNER, I QUESTION HOW MUCH OF A FAN YOU ARE.

I think you're in denial.

True Colts fans, I feel for you. You have a management team that really doesn't get it.