Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

My Playoff thoughts

Indy - some might totally disagree ( actually most will ) but I think Caldwells choice to basically throw the game was a great move. It took all that added pressure of going undefeated off his team and they now can focus on a title only. They would anyway but the whole 19-0 thing is no longer in the teams heads. When fully healthy this is the best team in the AFC as they can stop the run when they want to - maybe not like a Pittsburgh but they can be solid. They have great pass rushers as well. The weakness on this team lies in pass defense especially if Sanders is out. Their waterloo has been SD recently so we will see. I still have to make them favorites to win the AFC.

SD - Have a solid line and a great passing game but shockingly a weakness is rushing as LT is clearly average at best right now and the team is better served with Sproles actually to serve as a dump down back and run draws. Their defense is solid but can be run on by a power run offense - they have a solid Pass D or at least one that has a knack for making key big plays. If it comes down to SD @ Indy it's a coin toss but I think Indy finally get them.

Cincy - Just not enthralled with this team as Palmer is average , Benson is solid but far from a stud at least in terms of talent. 85 has had a better season but not played like he did in years past and their really is no solid clear #2 wr on that team. The defense lost it's player on the line for pass rushing but remains a force in pass defense and is one of the best teams at defending the pass at least for the playmakers. Just can't see them winning even a game in the playoffs. :dunno:

New England - The team no-one likely wants to play in round 2. They have talent everywhere just haven't played up to it really all season. There's no better playoff QB. Maroney is playing like he did in 07 and Welker and Moss are 2 of the best WR's in football. The waterloo here is their Oline is dinged up but if they get the line to hold up talent wise there's maybe no better offense around. On D they don't suck and should play better than they have at least based on talent -- but it's no secret they can be passed on basically at will. If BB works magic and gets the D in order ( doubtful ) they could be a WC superbowl team.

Baltimore - While not in yet by any means ( they are win n in ) . Another team with solid Talent on Offense especially in the run game and the passing is better than it has been in 10 years. The defense while older and banged up still is a force especially against the run. I like this Balto team better than Last years becasue of the Offense improvements. Another team the bye weeks teams would NOT wanna face.

NY Jets - another win n in team -- basically I think whoever they play basically rolls them in a laugher. On Defense they are decent at stopping the run and Reavis shuts down anyone but on O Sanchez flat out sucks and they are 1 dimensional running the ball.

Denver - If they get in they should lose and maybe badly. Just I actually think the Jets have a better team than Denver as Denver excells in basically nothing except a solid defense all around. Orton will fold in a pressure game -- IMO.

Pittsburgh - If they get lucky an get in - this team has a legit superbowl shot. I can't stand Big Ben but he is a great Playoff QB and they got really good offense weapons. A defense that is solid all around and playoff tested and experienced. Playoff teams are really praying the Jets win and Pittsburgh never gets in!

Houston , Jax , Miami -- not worth mentioning as I doubt any have a legit chance -- but of the 3 i think Houston would have the best shot at making noise.

Nice write up and analysis. When it comes down to crunch time the Indianapolis Colts will be going to the superbowl for the AFC.

Has anyone actually seen the stats on IND. when they bench there starters? EVERY time they have been benched the last to games of the regular season they got bounced in there first playoff game. When they have been benched the last regular season game they have lost there second playoff game. The year they won the SB is the only year they did not bench there starters at the end of the regular season...

I kinda gotta go with stats here, they are going to lose in the playoffs people, the numbers don't lie!

NY Jets - another win n in team -- basically I think whoever they play basically rolls them in a laugher. On Defense they are decent at stopping the run and Reavis shuts down anyone but on O Sanchez flat out sucks and they are 1 dimensional running the ball.

while trying my best to take off my homer goggles, I have to question this.

Despite all of Mark Sanchez struggles this season, the only time the Jets have been "rolled over in a laugher" was 31-14 defeat at New England. Every other loss they have this season has been fairly close. Lost by 14 to the very hot Saints in week 4.

With the number 1 team defense and a top 5 rushing attack, I just can't see them getting blown out in a wild card game. In fact, If I were the Patriots and Bengals, I would be more scared to face the Jets than the Ravens or Broncos.

As a Jet fan I am hoping we take care of business this weekend and secure the 5 seed to play Cincy again. As much as the Patriots don't scare me this season, I do recognize that a game in NE would not be a good thing for the Jets.

Despite all of Mark Sanchez struggles this season, the only time the Jets have been "rolled over in a laugher" was 31-14 defeat at New England. Every other loss they have this season has been fairly close. Lost by 14 to the very hot Saints in week 4.

With the number 1 team defense and a top 5 rushing attack, I just can't see them getting blown out in a wild card game. In fact, If I were the Patriots and Bengals, I would be more scared to face the Jets than the Ravens or Broncos.

As a Jet fan I am hoping we take care of business this weekend and secure the 5 seed to play Cincy again. As much as the Patriots don't scare me this season, I do recognize that a game in NE would not be a good thing for the Jets.

You can make the case for the Jets beating Cinn.

I would be shocked if they beart NE.

I get what you are saying, but the perception is - fair or unfair - that the Jets are being "let into" the playoffs. That perception alone drives a feeling of their not being able to compete at the playoff level.

And while I will give you that the Jets should scare teams more than the Broncos, I cannot give Baltimore. You're dismissing too easily the Sanchez factor, methinks. He is a rookie, and has probably already hit the wall, and kudos to him for playing through it, and continuing to work hard. But if the defense cracks, the game becomes a runaway.

Has anyone actually seen the stats on IND. when they bench there starters? EVERY time they have been benched the last to games of the regular season they got bounced in there first playoff game. When they have been benched the last regular season game they have lost there second playoff game. The year they won the SB is the only year they did not bench there starters at the end of the regular season...

I kinda gotta go with stats here, they are going to lose in the playoffs people, the numbers don't lie!

You would think the Colts themselves would know the results as well :shocking: Evidently they dont care much about trends and past results. So it looks like the Colts will lose to either Cincy or JETS :overhead: Ill say they stop the trend but lose in AFC Championship to either NE or SD :wacko:

Dude, this is a little ridiculous - predicting the outcome of a playoff game based on event(s) that happened weeks prior to the game, like resting players. Come on, you don't really buy this, do you?

Here is the history of this myth;

99. No rest - 1st round loss

00. No rest - 1st round loss

02. No rest - 1st round blown out 41-0 by Jets

04. 2 weeks rest - Killed the Broncos in 1st round

05. 1 week rest - Lost in 1st round to Steelers. Came out flat and Steelers took huge lead, Colts almost come back to win it in the end. This is the start of the myth.

06. No rest - Win Super Bowl

07. 1 week rest - 1st round loss to SD. This Indy team had many injuries that year. The loss was more due to injuries than resting.

08. 1 half of rest. Lost in 1st round in OT in a thrilling game to SD where the Colts played well but never touched the ball in OT.

with no rest, they are 1-3 in the first round

with some rest, they are 1-3 in the first round

with 2 weeks rest thay are 1-0 in the first round.

Wanna re-think your statement?

Dude, this is a little ridiculous - predicting the outcome of a playoff game based on event(s) that happened weeks prior to the game, like resting players. Come on, you don't really buy this, do you?

Here is the history of this myth;

99. No rest - 1st round loss

00. No rest - 1st round loss

02. No rest - 1st round blown out 41-0 by Jets

04. 2 weeks rest - Killed the Broncos in 1st round

05. 1 week rest - Lost in 1st round to Steelers. Came out flat and Steelers took huge lead, Colts almost come back to win it in the end. This is the start of the myth.

06. No rest - Win Super Bowl

07. 1 week rest - 1st round loss to SD. This Indy team had many injuries that year. The loss was more due to injuries than resting.

08. 1 half of rest. Lost in 1st round in OT in a thrilling game to SD where the Colts played well but never touched the ball in OT.

with no rest, they are 1-3 in the first round

with some rest, they are 1-3 in the first round

with 2 weeks rest thay are 1-0 in the first round.

Wanna re-think your statement?

his statement should say....THE COLTS FOCKING SUCK IN PLAYOFFS :overhead:

I get what you are saying, but the perception is - fair or unfair - that the Jets are being "let into" the playoffs. That perception alone drives a feeling of their not being able to compete at the playoff level.

And while I will give you that the Jets should scare teams more than the Broncos, I cannot give Baltimore. You're dismissing too easily the Sanchez factor, methinks. He is a rookie, and has probably already hit the wall, and kudos to him for playing through it, and continuing to work hard. But if the defense cracks, the game becomes a runaway.

I actually feel that the perception you speak of is a fair one. Even tho it was only 15-10 when the colts pulled Peyton and Co. I do not think the Jets would have won that game. So from that standpoint, they are being let into the playoffs to some degree.

But they have a number of losses that should have been wins if you look past Sanchez. So in that sense I do not think it is far fectched to call them a playoff quality team.

I also agree with you that if the defense cracks, the game could become a runaway but considering they boast the leagues top defense, I think that is a pretty big if. I would rather look at this team in terms of what they should do. And they should run the ball well, their defense should keep the game in check and any outcome should come down to the mistakes Sanchez does or does not make.

Bengals should win the wild card round, as they'll play the Jets two weeks in a row (after they let them in).

An added critism for the Pats would be the fact that no one has really step up as a #3 option in the passing game. If teams in the playoffs shutdown (which had been done before), you can only keep going to Welker so long. Sure, he can get 12 catches a game, but you really want to have another option. I wish Watson would have turned into this guy, but he is too inconsistant in the passing game (though he is a solid blocker).

The big benefit for the Pats will be the return of Fred Taylor. With Taylor/Morris/Maroney/Faulk they may not need to lean on the passing game so heavy. This combo platter will be huge if they face the Colts.

Bengals should win the wild card round, as they'll play the Jets two weeks in a row (after they let them in).

Ive heard the football guys say the Bengals wont show the Jets anything because they may play in the first round?? Well how about the dam Bungals just beat the Jets tomorrow and they wont have to worry about playing the dam Jets and they will probably get the #3 seed unless the Pats play their players the entire game :doublethumbsup:

Ive heard the football guys say the Bengals wont show the Jets anything because they may play in the first round?? Well how about the dam Bungals just beat the Jets tomorrow and they wont have to worry about playing the dam Jets and they will probably get the #3 seed unless the Pats play their players the entire game :doublethumbsup:

If I'm the coach, I don't want the 3 seed for one reason: I'd prefer a 90 minute bus ride to Indy over the 4 hour plane trip to the West coast.

you can't really say that cincy won't win in a game and a few graphs down say that the jets will get rolled in a laugher. there is a good chance they'll play each other -- it's contradictory.