Sign in to follow this  
throttlers

Matt Forte

A lot is being made of Chester Taylor signing with the Bears. However Chester just turned the dreaded 30 in September. I'm not saying Chester doesn't have something left. He will certainly vulture some goal-line carries from Forte this year given how bad Forte did in the red zone last year. That being said, I think Forte will bounce back and is a very good buy low candidate in dynasty leagues. Any thoughts?

i'll steer clear. unless its a pretty late pick.

the signing made little sense to me. not sure why the Bears went after him. and i think it will be a cloudy fantasy situation.

i'll steer clear. unless its a pretty late pick.

the signing made little sense to me. not sure why the Bears went after him. and i think it will be a cloudy fantasy situation.

I agree that fantasy wise it is cloudy for this year. However that is what makes him a buy low candidate. I am thinking about long term production vs. what it would cost to get him. Some owners will still have too high a price tag on Forte, but others are ready to bail.

I agree that fantasy wise it is cloudy for this year. However that is what makes him a buy low candidate. I am thinking about long term production vs. what it would cost to get him. Some owners will still have too high a price tag on Forte, but others are ready to bail.

i understand.

but i think its cloudy on both ends. I don't know what Taylor brings to the table that Forte didn't.

So do the Bears possibly think Taylor will be their starter and end up with a majority of the carries?

Will it be a true 50/50 split?

Did they really go that hard after a guy they only see as a backup to Matt Forte? I doubt this. If thats true, the Bears are clueless.

I'm thinking a fourth rounder unless I am really hurting at rb, maybe a 3rd at best.

i understand.

but i think its cloudy on both ends. I don't know what Taylor brings to the table that Forte didn't.

So do the Bears possibly think Taylor will be their starter and end up with a majority of the carries?

Will it be a true 50/50 split?

Did they really go that hard after a guy they only see as a backup to Matt Forte? I doubt this. If thats true, the Bears are clueless.

What is so hard to understand? They had no viable backups last year. Forte played hurt and kept playing because they had no other healthy options. Having a 2nd back that can share the load will help the bears this year and was an important need that they addressed.

Fantasy wise, it becomes a mess. I expect a 60/40 split in favour of Forte.

What is so hard to understand? They had no viable backups last year. Forte played hurt and kept playing because they had no other healthy options. Having a 2nd back that can share the load will help the bears this year and was an important need that they addressed.

Fantasy wise, it becomes a mess. I expect a 60/40 split in favour of Forte.

they had/have bigger needs and the money could have been better spent elsewhere. i also feel like if it was just a matter of getting a capable backup in place, they didn't need to go hard and fast after the consensus top FA back and give him that kind of money? just my own opinion.

not saying it was a horrible idea, just didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Well I disagree, I think Forte is the perfect buy low candidate. Look at what people got two years ago when they traded for DWill b/c CAR drafted Stew or what people got in Addai last year once IND drafted D.Brown. All good NFL teams are going to more of a two back system but the lead RB can still be a top producer! Look what DWill did last season for pete sake.

I think Forte is still their future but in a Martz system you need a rec RB or two and Taylor was the best FA for that role! I think Forte has more value now that Taylor is in town b/c he wont be run in the ground early in his career.

I am trying to scoop him up everywhere I can. He will be a top 10 RB for years to come in my opinion and now is the time to get him. I mean last year 4 of his last 6 games were against MIN(twice), GB, BAL. In a down year last year he had:

1,400 yds, 57 rec, 4 TDs

If that is a down year sign me up!

they had/have bigger needs and the money could have been better spent elsewhere. i also feel like if it was just a matter of getting a capable backup in place, they didn't need to go hard and fast after the consensus top FA back and give him that kind of money? just my own opinion.

You don't spend the amount of money the Bears did for a 'back-up' RB . Chester will have a built in percentage of plays, as someone has already mentioned, probably around 40% of the RB touches. More if Forte continues to be ineffective.

It was a d@mned good move by the Bears, transferring an effective offensive weapon away from a Div opponent and onto their team.

Its 12 mill over 4 years and frontloaded, so its not that much money. I also dont think he is anywhere near the best RB that was on the market. Yes they went fast, but not really "hard" as you say. They seemed to know who they wanted and taylor seemed to want to go there. It was just a good fit. Why wait?

They do have other holes left to fill, but believe me, RB was one of them.

You don't spend the amount of money the Bears did for a 'back-up' RB . Chester will have a built in percentage of plays, as someone has already mentioned, probably around 40% of the RB touches. More if Forte continues to be ineffective.

i totally agree and that was my point. Taylor WILL get his touches. So what does this do to Forte... thats why I only see him as a good "buy low" guy if the price is right. but not in the 4th round.

I'm thinking a fourth rounder unless I am really hurting at rb, maybe a 3rd at best.

forte gets drafted before the 4th round in standard formats. I am not sure he is actually any good by watching him, but he is a late 2nd/3rd round pick right now. that all changes if chester is clearly better in camp

I have Chester in a Dynasty and the owner of Forte said lets make a deal where i'd give you the other half of the bears running game and I said you can keep that pile of shiat.....

Forte's are a DIME A DOZEN... he nothing special, pretty average... he was in a good situation as a rook and given an opportunity that's why he was a solid producer even though he was under 4 yards a clip....

Buy low.... nah... kick um to the curb

so if everyone seems to think that Chester is going to get at least 40% of the carries, and he still has gas left in the tank

how is Matt Forte showing any value being drafted in the 3rd round in mocks?

seems you'd get better value out of Taylor in the 7th or whatever.

so if everyone seems to think that Chester is going to get at least 40% of the carries, and he still has gas left in the tank

how is Matt Forte showing any value being drafted in the 3rd round in mocks?

seems you'd get better value out of Taylor in the 7th or whatever.

I will not draft either as a fantasy starter. I think overall the bears running game will be a bit better than last year, but neither will put up good enough numbers to be a reliable starter.

- sub par Oline

- Martz pass orriented offence

- shared workload to some extent

I don't see any viable argument to think Forte is worth a 3rd or 4th round pick. If the stars align and I am proven wrong, that would be ok as well.

I think the signing of Taylor was more of a "Takeaway from the team that is in our division" then replace who we have move. Forte is still the starter and will still get the lions share of the touches. Taylor is just a nice backup and a way to screw with a division rival.

The Bears' line is awful, and Forte becomes even more of a volume runner than he already is because of it. I think there's potential down the road, but I see him capping out somewhere around 250 carries and and 50 catches for a couple seasons, even if he is the starter. For a guy who can't even break 4 ypc, there's not a lot to excite me there.

I'd have no problem drafting Forte in the 8th round or lower in a re-draft league. But in all likelihood, someone will draft him in the 3rd to 5th round thinking that they were getting a "buy low"...... in which case I'd draft the CHI RB I'd rather own anyway (Chester Taylor) in the 6th or 7th round.

IMO, most of the time when guys are thinking they are getting a "buy - low" they actually end up paying too much!