Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

2010 NFL Draft Weekend Team Thread: Chicago Bears

Might as well wait to pin this one til Saturday.

Found this elsewhere for what the Bears war room should be like for the draft.

Chicago Bears

Day one: Have everyone over at head coach Lovie Smith’s house to watch game four of Blackhawks/Predators. Study the Blackhawks. Take notes on how to use the draft to build a competitive team, as the Blackhawks did. Feel free to watch game three of Bulls/Cavs during the commercial breaks. Keep Jay Cutler away from the open bar, though.

Day two: During the early part of the evening (i.e., the second round), you can go with either Cubs/Brewers or White Sox/Mariners. Again, you have no picks here and baseball is a good way to pass the time. Personally, I’d go with the Cubs/Brewers game – Adam’s right, I am a closet Brewers fan - but the choice is yours. Once the third round gets rolling later in the night, get excited – you finally get to draft someone!

Might as well wait to pin this one til Saturday.

Found this elsewhere for what the Bears war room should be like for the draft.

Chicago Bears

Day one: Have everyone over at head coach Lovie Smith’s house to watch game four of Blackhawks/Predators. Study the Blackhawks. Take notes on how to use the draft to build a competitive team, as the Blackhawks did. Feel free to watch game three of Bulls/Cavs during the commercial breaks. Keep Jay Cutler away from the open bar, though.

Day two: During the early part of the evening (i.e., the second round), you can go with either Cubs/Brewers or White Sox/Mariners. Again, you have no picks here and baseball is a good way to pass the time. Personally, I’d go with the Cubs/Brewers game – Adam’s right, I am a closet Brewers fan - but the choice is yours. Once the third round gets rolling later in the night, get excited – you finally get to draft someone!

;)

Yeah, I hesitated to give them their own thread.

The NFC North Threads are always the most active here at FFToday on the week of the draft, so I threw Bears fans a bone, but it's going to be a while before they're relevant to the draft discussion to be sure.

Yeah, not alot to discuss this year for the draft. Hoping a G or DB from the 3rd round can become a starter is about all.

The real move for the Bears is the next free agent that they pick up, which may not come until after June 1. Hoping for Atogwe

Trading away the 2nd rounder for a bust hurt and then him passing away paved the way for the Peppers signing.

I'm hoping that kid from Utah is still there in the 3rd round for us. I think his name is Zane Beadles, he started at guard freshman year, then moved to left tackle for his next 3 years. I'd like to see him play RT over that dooshbag Frank Omiyale.

I'm hoping that kid from Utah is still there in the 3rd round for us. I think his name is Zane Beadles, he started at guard freshman year, then moved to left tackle for his next 3 years. I'd like to see him play RT over that dooshbag Frank Omiyale.

They seem committed to moving Omiyale to RT, so that opens up G as the hole to fill. Actually it was a hole to fill with Omi there as well.

DB Akwasi Owusu-Ansah - this guy has Angelo written all over him.

I don't think Morgan Burnett falls to 3.11. He'd be my top pick. They can't be serious about Craig Steltz starting.

OT is so deep, there could be a solid, but unspectacular option still there in the third.

I'd like to see a flyer on a tall WR like Carlton Mitchell, Eric Decker or Marcus Easely later.

3.12 Major Wright, S

No surprise here. I think most targeted a safety at this pick and Angelo loves FLA players. Missed Morgan Burnett by 4 picks, but Wright has been a late riser after his development went in reverse to a job share last year. He is pure centerfielder and not a hitter, but that's fine, we have enough slow-footed hitters to play SS. Guys we might regret passing on: CB Brandon Ghee, OT Bruce Campbell and a sh!t ton of decent WR prospects

4.11 Corey Wootton, DE

Clearly not a position I was hoping they'd address, but probably a case of BPA, so it's hard to be too critical. Wootton was projected as a first rounder before blowing his knee in 2009 Alamo Bowl. He returned in time for the 2010 season, probably too quickly, and wasn't the same player last season, hence why he fell. He had 10 sacks as a junior, but doesn't project as a top pass rusher. Most saw him as five-technique in 3-4, so he's slotted for anchor end on the left, which would be a nice fit opposite Peppers, if he pans out. Guys we might regret passing on: DB Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, OLB Thad Gibson, DT Geno Atkins, OT Jason Fox, CB Dominique Franks, CB Perrish Cox

5.10 Joshua Moore, CB

Hopefully this is Angelo's annual hidden defensive gem. Came out early for money, not b/c of talent. Brutal at Combine, but played well on the field, especially in big games. Definitely a project, they just missed on Franks or Cox passing them in the previous round. Guys we might regret passing on: DE Greg Hardy, WR Carlton Mitchell

6.12 Dan LeFevour, QB

Home town product was productive winner in MAC. Appeared to have helped his stock w/strong Senior Bowl performance, still fell, could be a steal as a nice career back-up. Mobile QB, good athlete, offers potential in gimmick packages.

7.11 J'Marcus Webb, OT

And here's where Angelo goes deep again. Took some searching to find something about this guy. 6'8" 330lbs w/36" arms, cousin of former Dolphin Richmond Webb, lettered as a freshman at Texas, but couldn't cut it academically. Went on to be a JUCO AA and then was headed to Arizona, but was short on credits. Finished as one of the top DII tackles at West Texas A&M. Fred Mitchell and David Kaplan of the Trib nailed this call a week ago, saying Mike Tice coveted this guy as a prospect. He must be a box of rock and/or have some character concerns for no one to touch him, b/c he sounds like a fairly exciting prospect for a 7th rounder.

Pretty typical Angelo draft. Heavy on DLine and DBs, no skill players to get excited about. If Wright can be a solid starter at S and Wootton a quality part of the end rotation, this draft was a success. Anything else is a bonus.

Morgan Burnett had slipped by me in this years draft class due to Berry, Thomasm and Mays, but he looks as if he might be superior to Mays, and knows how to keep his mouth shut.

The Bears had a solid draft and did well in their respective spots, just missing out on a gem or two.

Really liked the LaFevour pick, he fills a need at back-up QB. He needs some work, but could develop into a good QB in the pros. His main problem is with his 'fundamentals', an area Martz is a good coach at.

If Cutler doesn't improve this year, look for LaFevour to get a chance next year.

Really liked the LaFevour pick, he fills a need at back-up QB. He needs some work, but could develop into a good QB in the pros. His main problem is with his 'fundamentals', an area Martz is a good coach at.

If Cutler doesn't improve this year, look for LaFevour to get a chance next year.

nice job getting cutler some receivers to throw to. bears suck and so does lovie

nice job getting cutler some receivers to throw to. bears suck and so does lovie

And? :dunno:

Oh, wait, you thought I was a Bears fan? Not hardly. I am a fan of Lafevour, and think he has potential. Enjoyed watching him in college. Their receivers aren't bad for what they are, #2 through #4 types, with no real #1 on the roster right now. Aromashodu looks like a decent #2, Knox looks like a good #3, noone looks like a #1 right now.