Sign in to follow this  
emerlin

Done with Sportsline - Best Alternative?

I just don't feel like getting hosed from CBS again. I guess that the service was not terrible, but the fee is (I feel) outrageous. I would rather put the same dollars toward the payout. Live scoring is a must - no dynasty here.

What do you guys recommend?

thx

Ok I'm thinking about jumping ship too. Has anyone ever had CBS before and made the switch ......... and how do the other sites compare? The blind bidding is a must for sure. Any info on other sites would be great!

My Fantasy League is ours, not sure about blind bidding.

How much is CBS?

I just don't feel like getting hosed from CBS again. I guess that the service was not terrible, but the fee is (I feel) outrageous. I would rather put the same dollars toward the payout. Live scoring is a must - no dynasty here.

thx

Ya, ESPN...all you need for free. Keeps historical data from past years, live stats, iphone app. If you are one of those that dispises "the four letter network" go with yahoo or foxsports. All are more than adequate for a redraft league.

thx

I did the same thing last year when they raised prices. ESPN free league is the answer. I'll never turn back.

My Fantasy League is ours, not sure about blind bidding.

How much is CBS?

150.... or 129 with early bird deal I think.

I did the same thing last year when they raised prices. ESPN free league is the answer. I'll never turn back.

Yes the price for CBS is way too high but its worth it over ESPN for dam sure!!! Im in one ESPN league and 2 in CBS. Cant stand the league page in ESPN already and the commish of that league said he can not change it. Has the transaction log take up 3/4 of the dam page :mad:

In a standard 12 team league CBS cost $12.50 per team. Yes way too high but worth it to get everything i want :doublethumbsup: What the need to do is give you the option to get the stupid draft kit or take off $30 or what ever the dam stickers and board cost.

Yes the price for CBS is way too high but its worth it over ESPN for dam sure!!! Im in one ESPN league and 2 in CBS. Cant stand the league page in ESPN already and the commish of that league said he can not change it. Has the transaction log take up 3/4 of the dam page :mad:

In a standard 12 team league CBS cost $12.50 per team. Yes way too high but worth it to get everything i want :doublethumbsup: What the need to do is give you the option to get the stupid draft kit or take off $30 or what ever the dam stickers and board cost.

If you are all about how the page looks, then I guess go to MFL, which is cheaper and better for customizing the page than CBS. $150 is not worth being able to customize your league home page though, atleast in my opinion. I'd much rather put that money towards the final pot. ESPN is FREE and has everything you need as far as actually playing fantasy football goes, and you can still change pictures and add polls to the homepage on ESPN.

The league I commish still uses CBS.Sportsline. The reasons? It's the same place we've used for going on 9 years now. It has all of the league history in there, all the scoring is stored, all the records, all the peoples team information, ect. Do I like that they've gone up to 150 bucks (with draft kit)? Not really, but considering everyone is used to it and everything is already loaded, and it has all capabilities (we enjoy the self made league stories) the extra 3 bucks a person is worth it. :dunno:

If you are all about how the page looks, then I guess go to MFL, which is cheaper and better for customizing the page than CBS. $150 is not worth being able to customize your league home page though, atleast in my opinion. I'd much rather put that money towards the final pot. ESPN is FREE and has everything you need as far as actually playing fantasy football goes, and you can still change pictures and add polls to the homepage on ESPN.

Im not "all about how the page looks" its just one thing that is annoying as hell. :thumbsdown:

ESPN is good for a free league i will give it that but for a league where decent money is involved it is GARBAGE. If im paying $25 for a team then i dont expect much and am OK with ESPN. If im paying $80-$200+ then i expect the league and website to be on a dam good website and not ESPN or Yahoo.

I would try MFL because most folks on here really seem to like it. However it took alot of convincing to get my folks to change leagues to CBS and im not gonna try to switch them after 4 years on the CBS site where everyone is happy. Ive played in another CBS league for 6+ years also and everyone in that league loves CBS and is familiar with CBS. So ill just ###### and complain about the price but be happy once the season gets rolling along. :rolleyes:

I have 1 dynasty and 2 keeper leagues (1 of which I run) at MFL. Love the site.

The options are endless, and in the 5 years now I've been there. I've had to use tech support twice. Both times I got help and was corrected within 20 minutes.

Yes they do use blind bidding (believe me when I say; again, the options are endless.)

I also believe you can transfer over your history from other sites if you swith.

I did read they are doing discounts if you tell them you are switching over from rival sites, and price is already reasonable.

I have used in the past: Sandbox for IDP's, yahoo, Ants, nfl.com, and sportsline (years ago). I love MFL.

* I have always heard good things about RTS too, so maybe read up on them too.

Im not "all about how the page looks" its just one thing that is annoying as hell. :thumbsdown:

ESPN is good for a free league i will give it that but for a league where decent money is involved it is GARBAGE. If im paying $25 for a team then i dont expect much and am OK with ESPN. If im paying $80-$200+ then i expect the league and website to be on a dam good website and not ESPN or Yahoo.

I would try MFL because most folks on here really seem to like it. However it took alot of convincing to get my folks to change leagues to CBS and im not gonna try to switch them after 4 years on the CBS site where everyone is happy. Ive played in another CBS league for 6+ years also and everyone in that league loves CBS and is familiar with CBS. So ill just ###### and complain about the price but be happy once the season gets rolling along. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure I understand. I play in 3-4 leagues in the $100-200 range and I'd still MUCH rather play on ESPN than CBS, considering the cost. What does CBS offer that ESPN does not??? If you are looking at ESPN from 3-5 years ago, you may be right, but ESPN has come a LONG way when it comes to fantasy sports over the last 2-3 years. It has become much more customizable, has options for live auctions, has options for waiver bidding systems, etc.

I do understand that some leagues have been on the same site for multiple years and it's difficult to make the switch. I've been on Yahoo for a couple leagues for multiple years and I don't forsee a switch for this reason. Once you are used to a site, it's sometimes easier to not make a change. I just don't understand the argument that CBS is that much BETTER that it's worth it to pay $150 every year to play fantasy football on it. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion..

In other words, way too fuckin much

$149.00 is too much? There are some cheap asses in here. In a twelve team league, that's less than $13.00 a year per owner and less than $1.00 per game. If you bought two magazines this year, that cost you $16.00. Are they becoming greedy bastards? Yes! But compared to any other site I've looked at, they are the best as far as setting up your league, rules, on-line drafting options, history, transaction reports, roster trends, commentary, and the instant gametime scoring. I've watched games where the TD showed up on CBSSportsline before it did on TV. I keep hearing ESPN is a good alternative. Bullshit!!! If you've played in a CBS league and switched to the ESPN free league, you probably were dissapointed and convinced yourself it was worth the move since it's free. I don't even go to ESPN anymore for fantasy football information. I like John Claytons articles, but you have to be a member(IN) to view his and most others articles. I get all the info I need here and at CBS. One way or another, you are going to pay for quality service.

My league has used rtsports for over 10 years now. We're pretty much married to it now in spite of a pretty weak waiver-wire process. (There is only one waiver wire per week, so people that are dropped become FFA after a set time period.)

We like the message board and ability to post stories. Solid reporting tools as well. I'd be tempted to try ESPN first if we weren't already kind of comfortable.

I just don't understand the argument that CBS is that much BETTER that it's worth it to pay $150 every year to play fantasy football on it. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion..

The one HUGE thing i really really like on CBS is the 2 games per week. You can not do that on ESPN. People said you can do that also on MFL but have not tried that league.

This is why i like CBS alot better:

1-play 2 matchups per week

2-posting stories on front page

3-page layout

4-more custom setups for page

5-like the live scoring set up better

$149.00 is too much? There are some cheap asses in here. In a twelve team league, that's less than $13.00 a year per owner and less than $1.00 per game. If you bought two magazines this year, that cost you $16.00. Are they becoming greedy bastards? Yes! But compared to any other site I've looked at, they are the best as far as setting up your league, rules, on-line drafting options, history, transaction reports, roster trends, commentary, and the instant gametime scoring. I've watched games where the TD showed up on CBSSportsline before it did on TV. I keep hearing ESPN is a good alternative. Bullshit!!! If you've played in a CBS league and switched to the ESPN free league, you probably were dissapointed and convinced yourself it was worth the move since it's free. I don't even go to ESPN anymore for fantasy football information. I like John Claytons articles, but you have to be a member(IN) to view his and most others articles. I get all the info I need here and at CBS. One way or another, you are going to pay for quality service.

1. ###### you

2. Stop cutting the cost 12 ways, because what it comes down to is not $13, it's $150 out of the pot

3. Like I said, I moved my league from CBS Sports to ESPN last season, and there was no disappointment from me or anyone else in my league.

4. The fantasy analysis provided by ESPN and CBS doesn't matter, I can still go to CBSsports.com and read their stuff (Which I won't, because those people are absolute morons)

5. I have never seen a scoring update on CBS happen before it happened on TV. In fact, CBS went through a stage a few seasons ago when their live scoring wouldn't work AT ALL on game days. Live Scoring worked every second of every game day on ESPN last year.

You may be satisfied dishing out 150 dollars for a service worth a fraction of that, but don't call me a "cheap ass" and offer up some bogus reasons why it's worth it, when it's clearly not.

You may be satisfied dishing out 150 dollars for a service worth a fraction of that, but don't call me a "cheap ass" and offer up some bogus reasons why it's worth it, when it's clearly not.

ESPN is not even close to CBS. The only reason people like your self say ESPN is better is because it is free and are happy with a free crappy product. Me id rather spend just a little bit($12.50) extra to get a product i like. Now ill beatch and complain about having to spend the extra money but in the end im happy.

ESPN is not even close to CBS. The only reason people like your self say ESPN is better is because it is free and are happy with a free crappy product. Me id rather spend just a little bit($12.50) extra to get a product i like. Now ill beatch and complain about having to spend the extra money but in the end im happy.

I never said ESPN is better, but it's definitely not crappy. I had been playing on ESPN before I moved my league, and I said "Hey, why don't I just move my league over to this free service and get some extra money in the pot, considering it's practically the same."

Almost every reason people have offered up that CBS is better than ESPN is fluff.

If you look, there are referal codes out there that will get anyone a brand new CBS league for $89.

If you having existing historical information, you would have to work to import it. That is the part that really sucks, but you generally work to get a discount, in this life.

CBS is the highest quality site, bar none. Even with the ultra-customizations available to MFL, it still does not have the CBS polish.

Like anything, you most often get what you pay for...

I've tried ESPN live scoring and it does not compare to CBS. CBS is the fastest live scoring in the business hands down. I've tried MFL and most every other sites and I find CBS to be a superior product.

You are a cheap ass. What's the payout in your main league? A jar of pickles and a box of magnums? I'm not dishing out $150.00. The league is. And our league loves the site. 14 games plus 2 playoff games for less than a dollar a game. What other league can you report your own story about one of the the other owners being raped by T.O. with a customized picture to match the story? Not only can you not do a story like that on ESPN because it doesn't have the capabillity to do so, the censors wouldn't allow it there. Also, we as owners own our league year round. It's pretty much our on web page. And we use it year round. Wanna play golf and talk offseason FF? Post it on the message board.

Hey fella's, I just joined CBS at a discounted rate, and if you want to still join CBS for 50% off their current asking price, just email me at beastmanhulk@aol.com and I will e-mail you a referral code. It will only end up costing you about $90 after it's all said and done and you will get a free draft kit with it as well. No I'm not from CBS and this is a very legit offer. Just shoot me an e-mail and I'll hook you up with the referral code. Just reference this message and I'll send it on down the line! Enjoy fella's!

You are a cheap ass. What's the payout in your main league? A jar of pickles and a box of magnums? I'm not dishing out $150.00. The league is. And our league loves the site. 14 games plus 2 playoff games for less than a dollar a game. What other league can you report your own story about one of the the other owners being raped by T.O. with a customized picture to match the story? Not only can you not do a story like that on ESPN because it doesn't have the capabillity to do so, the censors wouldn't allow it there. Also, we as owners own our league year round. It's pretty much our on web page. And we use it year round. Wanna play golf and talk offseason FF? Post it on the message board.

Hell we play 26 regular season games :banana:

Hey fella's, I just joined CBS at a discounted rate, and if you want to still join CBS for 50% off their current asking price, just email me at beastmanhulk@aol.com and I will e-mail you a referral code. It will only end up costing you about $90 after it's all said and done and you will get a free draft kit with it as well. No I'm not from CBS and this is a very legit offer. Just shoot me an e-mail and I'll hook you up with the referral code. Just reference this message and I'll send it on down the line! Enjoy fella's!

Like someone else said you will have to work to import your leagues history. I wish i had known that before i paid for my league again i would have atleast tried this.

Except you can do a story on ESPN, turd.

All that stuff is fluff, hardly worth 150 dollars.

Well... this has drawn some good debate. We are a small money league - 25 to get in. So avoiding the $150 fee does add a significant amount to the pot. Not trying to be a cheap ass here, but at the end of the day I would rather pay the winners than CBS...

I have setup a league in Yahoo and it looks ok. I am going to set one up in ESPN and give that a shot. I will try and post back and let you know what I find. MFL may be a happy medium and I can import our league history.

From reading the comments it seems the CBS is the best choice if money were no object. ESPN seems to edge Yahoo although I am not really sure why. I played a team on yahoo last year and my only complaint with them is the Java window they force you to open for live scoring.

Thanks to all who responded and provided good feedback.

Cheers