Sign in to follow this  
tecklc2112

Convince me to wait on my TE in a PPR draft...

Should I be content on targeting Zach Miller in the 10th/11th rd. (14 team league)? I think he could have a very solid year with Jason Campbell...And waiting would obviously allow me to build depth at other key positions in the middle rounds. So feel free to help ease my mind or give me second thoughts... :unsure:

I can't convince you that TE's are a bad option in a PPR, but the secret is out on Miller, and lets not forget that Campbell has never been spectacular and he just downgraded in teams.

I think if you are serious about a PPR TE, spend early to get Clark, he will get his. So many of the other TE's will end up with VERY similar numbers when the season is over.

i always weigh drafting a top flight TE over a #2 or #3 WR. Will u get more value drafting a Dallas Clark in the 4th round over a mid range WR? Thats the debate and usually i feel like you do get an edge if your TE can produce WR like numbers. Getting a TD and 70 yds from your TE can really help push you over the edge. A crappy TE will get you 30 yds per game. Thats not good.

Two Words: Brent Celek

You won't regret it.

if you waited last year and took vernon davis or jermichael finley you didn't lose much... you can always find gems

if you waited last year and took vernon davis or jermichael finley you didn't lose much... you can always find gems

Yes!

Misleading on Finley. Finley in my league's scoring (PPR)the first 11 weeks:

1.6, 9.6, 0, 24.8, 10.4, 2.6, 0, 0, 0, 12.4, 5.5

You lost a ton with Finely last year. If you made the playoffs, you hit it big. But if you waited on Finley, and Finley only last year, you suffered.

The issue with picking TEs early also depends on how your draft is going. If you select a QB and TE in the 1st 5 rounds you might end up weaker at WR or RB. I either go for a TE in the 1st 4 rounds or a QB, but rarely both. There are also a lot of TEs this year compared to last year (Gates, Clark, Finley, Vernon Davis, Celek, Owen Daniels, Shiancoe, Winslow and later on Cooley and Zach Miller).

There is no reason to go into a draft this year with any preconcieved strategy for TE in my opinion. Don't like the WR, QB, or RB in earlier rounds... don't overpay for a player that could be had later and take a stud TE like Clark, Gates or Davis.

But if there are players you do like at other positions... TE's are seemingly as deep as they've ever been... so there is no need in worrying about waiting on TE. Guys like Celek, Miller (both of them), and Keller should be easily serviceable enough if you want to wait.

In all honesty... there are 15 TE's that I'd be more than happy to have as a starter... Here's how I have them tier'd out and ranked:

Clark, Gates, Davis

Finley, Witten, Gonzales,

Daniels, Winslow, Celek, Shiancoe

Cooley, Keller, Miller, Miller, Olsen

If you value your life, you will wait to draft a TE in your PPR draft.

Thanks for all of the valuable input guys!...After reading all of your thoughts, I have absolutely no idea what I am going to do, LOL!

Thanks for all of the valuable input guys!...After reading all of your thoughts, I have absolutely no idea what I am going to do, LOL!

How many RBs and WRs do you have to start? Is there a flex position?

Let me know and then I can better answer your TE question.

Agreed.

Crap-shoot sometimes, but can pay off big.

You won't regret it.

Yes and no. Celek will be a monster this year. Definitely on my target list. Zack Millier will also have a great year. Kid is a stud who did not have a QB. Now he does. Both are top 8 TE's (although Z Millertime is at the bottom of the 1st tier).

Those advising you to pick up a Clark or something early are WRONG!

Here's my tiering - Yes, I have EIGHT 1st tier TE's and you can get one late. I'd be exstatic to draft Celek after your leaguemates have taken Gates, Finley, Clark, Davis, Witten and Gonzo. I'd consider Miller time to be a very nice consolation prize if I missed him however:

Gates

Finley

Celek

Clark

V Davis (reverse with Witten in PPR)

Witten

Gonzo

yes, now it is Miller time!

So take what your draft gives you and don't take a TE too early.

2nd tier is only THREE deep, and I'd really prefer NOT to go there:

Winslow (high risk)

Daniels (high risk)

Sciancoe (low risk, low ceiling)

How many RBs and WRs do you have to start? Is there a flex position?

Let me know and then I can better answer your TE question.

14 team, PPR league...

We start:

1 QB

1 RB

2 WR

2 Flex (WR/RB/TE)

1 TE

1 K

1 D/ST

...I'm starting to like the idea of grabbing Celek if he is there in the 8th or 9th...Or taking Z. Miller in the 10th/11th if I miss out on Celek.

14 team, PPR league...

We start:

1 QB

1 RB

2 WR

2 Flex (WR/RB/TE)

1 TE

1 K

1 D/ST

...I'm starting to like the idea of grabbing Celek if he is there in the 8th or 9th...Or taking Z. Miller in the 10th/11th if I miss out on Celek.

OK, in that case I would suggest Kellen Winslow in the 7th round unless Tony Gonzalez is there then take him. I also like Zack Miller late too. There are so many options though and if you could get Jermichael Finley in the 5th round (or Vernon Davis if he falls that far) he's worth taking depending whatever other players are still available in your draft at the time.

I wouldn't take any Tight End ahead of players like Forsett, CJ Spiller, and McFadden.

I would definitely draft two WRs in the first four rounds.

Here is my Tight End rankings for ppr for 2010.

Antonio Gates

Vernon Davis

Dallas Clark

Jermichael Finley

Jason Witten

Tony Gonzalez

Kellen Winslow

Brent Celek

Zach Miller

Visanthe Shiancoe

I wouldn't want anyone below these guys, and I got Shiancoe in one league but wish I could have gotten someone higher on my list.

Just reading you name off specific rounds for these guys tells me that you are too hung up on ADP.

My advice is, just go with the flow and let the DRAFT ITSELF tell you when to take these guys.

Just reading you name off specific rounds for these guys tells me that you are too hung up on ADP.

My advice is, just go with the flow and let the DRAFT ITSELF tell you when to take these guys.

I subscribe to your flexible draft strategy as well, but I am also a firm believer of going into my drafts with a plan & then adjusting based on the flow of the draft.

OK, in that case I would suggest Kellen Winslow in the 7th round unless Tony Gonzalez is there then take him. I also like Zack Miller late too. There are so many options though and if you could get Jermichael Finley in the 5th round (or Vernon Davis if he falls that far) he's worth taking depending whatever other players are still available in your draft at the time.

I wouldn't take any Tight End ahead of players like Forsett, CJ Spiller, and McFadden.

I would definitely draft two WRs in the first four rounds.

Here is my Tight End rankings for ppr for 2010.

Antonio Gates

Vernon Davis

Dallas Clark

Jermichael Finley

Jason Witten

Tony Gonzalez

Kellen Winslow

Brent Celek

Zach Miller

Visanthe Shiancoe

I wouldn't want anyone below these guys, and I got Shiancoe in one league but wish I could have gotten someone higher on my list.

Good stuff...I would, however, find it hard not to put Daniels in my top 10 ppr TEs (as long as he is back to full health).

I do like Forsett, but I am not sold on Spiller's situation & I like M. Bush more than McFadden.

Good stuff...I would, however, find it hard not to put Daniels in my top 10 ppr TEs (as long as he is back to full health).

I do like Forsett, but I am not sold on Spiller's situation & I like M. Bush more than McFadden.

I only left out Owen Daniels because of the unknown with recovering from ACL surgery. If healthy he's on the list of one to get.

Ok I'm on the Zach MIller HYPE TRAIN!!! Let's see he is in his contract year, so hopefully they dont sign an extension so he has something to prove. Studies show contract year players tend to have better stats. Who else is in a contract year? Oh yea some guy named Michael Bush, I don't think he is looking for a payday. With a semi decent running game it could free Zach up. A new QB in Campbell who is the best qb the raiders have seen in a while who loves him some TE. Chaz Schilens, a 6'4" 225 WR who ran a 4.38 40, is fully healed to hopefully take away some of the double teams (assuming that al doesn't get stuck on DHB).

When he came back from injury last year he tore it up, even more so for ppr. the only exception was the 1st week back. Now of course there is always one thing to consider, it is the raiders and im not really a fan because of AL DAVIS. Who knows maybe he wants cable to put in Gradkowski?!? Either way Ive already got my 1st class ticket to some late round gold.

I agree that Zach Miller is a good consolation prize. I think people are overrating Witten a bit....yes he is good, but Dallas has too many weapons that I see a drop in TDs for Witten this year plus he only had 2 TDs last year. Finley is a boom or bust candidate.

I have Clark, Gates and Davis as top 3 TEs because they offer WR numbers. The rest are Finley, Celek, Gonzo, Daniels, Winslow, Shiancoe, Zach Miller.

Other 3 options that have potential are: Cooley where McNabb likes to throw to the TEs (remember LJ) and there are no great weapons at WR; Carlson is a great TE but has been asked to block a lot with the terrible OL in Seattle, if the OL is fixed he is a #1 or #2 receiving option there and he did have 7 TDs last year so a red-zone threat; Heath Miller, after trading Holmes Miller is the clear #2 receiving option so he will get his yds, plus an average OL and running game might force Steelers to pass a lot like last year.

In most of the mocks I've been doing Gates, Clark and Davis are going in RD4-5. Someone always starts the TE rush later on in RD4 or early in the 5th and then the rest jump in to grab what they can get. This feeding frenzy allows me to bulk up at other positions. In my own league (12 team .5 ppr) its the same thing every year - someone starts the rush around RD5 and I still keep picking position value until everybody has their TE. Last year I got Daniels in the 8th and Celek as a flier in the 12th. I was entertaining some nice trades for Celek when Daniels got hurt, and he ended up the #5 scoring TE in our league. Not bad for the 12th round.

I don't ever remember the TE position being so deep. This year there are so many solid choices out there that TE is my least concern. This year I will be targeting RBs on non committee teams and WRs as my first proirities.

Wait or I will hit you over the head with a shovel, then gouge out your eyes with a pick axe.

Convinced?

There are alot of TEs and alot of good ones that will be available from 8th round on. Im trying to think if i have ever seen the team that won one of our championships, in any league i play in, that has drafted one of the top TEs early :thumbsdown:

Last year Finley helped me bring home the :first: but i got him off waivers. There are a bunch of good servicable TEs to grab late.

-Tony Gonzalez

-Visanthe Shiancoe

-Owen Daniels

-Zach Miller-Cambell may be able to get him the ball more and Cambell shown he likes TE

-Chris Cooley-coming off injury and new QB

-Kellen Winslow

-Carlson

-Heath Miller

-Dustin Keller

-Greg Olsen-everyones favorite last year good value this year

-Boss

-Shockey

-Heap

-Tony Scheffler-actually like him in Detriot

Last year Finley helped me bring home the :first: but i got him off waivers. There are a bunch of good servicable TEs to grab late.

-Tony Gonzalez

-Visanthe Shiancoe

-Owen Daniels

-Zach Miller-Cambell may be able to get him the ball more and Cambell shown he likes TE

-Chris Cooley-coming off injury and new QB

-Kellen Winslow

-Carlson

-Heath Miller

-Dustin Keller

-Greg Olsen-everyones favorite last year good value this year

-Boss

-Shockey

-Heap

-Tony Scheffler-actually like him in Detriot

One problem with a ton of great TEs? Going a little too far with this line of thought, which I think you did here. Those lines of 600 yards and 5 TDs don't cut it any more. Olsen will be garbage in a Martz offense. Shockey sucked last year and has David Thomas and now Jimmy Graham nipping at him, in an offense where he's already the 4th or 5th option at best. The Ravens will probably try to work in Hickson and Pitta some this season, and the addition of Boldin means even less for Heap. Scheffler is a huge risk given the presence of Pettigrew and, again, the likelihood of being the 4th or 5th option on a rising but still unproven offense.

One of those guys is fine for a bye-week replacement, and is a reason not to waste two roster spots on TE, but even at the super-late cost, I wouldn't want one as my starter. Can't say I'd draft any of those guys below Keller, and probably not him either.

Reiterating what WeTigers said regarding Greg Olsen...

I can't recall a TE in a Martz offense putting up big numbers? And Martz seems about as pigheaded and stubborn in his ways as anybody.

A bit of an old link, but still...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/03/olsen-unhappy-with-hiring-of-martz-wants-a-trade/

Then this recent report... Bears signed Brandon Malamalalauna, though Martz has "vowed" to utilize Olsen supposedly...

http://chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=6907

Out of the TEs that I feel are worth as #1 TEs are Clark, Gates, Vernon, Celek, Finley, Witten, Gonzo, Winslow, Owen Daniels, Shiancoe, Zach Miller, Cooley....which equals to 12 TEs. So you should be able to get a TE in 12-team leagues and even in 14-team leagues which I play in. I should be able ot get one of these TEs in the first 9 rounds.

One problem with a ton of great TEs? Going a little too far with this line of thought, which I think you did here. Those lines of 600 yards and 5 TDs don't cut it any more. Olsen will be garbage in a Martz offense. Shockey sucked last year and has David Thomas and now Jimmy Graham nipping at him, in an offense where he's already the 4th or 5th option at best. The Ravens will probably try to work in Hickson and Pitta some this season, and the addition of Boldin means even less for Heap. Scheffler is a huge risk given the presence of Pettigrew and, again, the likelihood of being the 4th or 5th option on a rising but still unproven offense.

One of those guys is fine for a bye-week replacement, and is a reason not to waste two roster spots on TE, but even at the super-late cost, I wouldn't want one as my starter. Can't say I'd draft any of those guys below Keller, and probably not him either.

:thumbsup: +1 ... I see more risk than reason to dropping outside of the top 9 or 10 TEs before making your pick (you can likely get a top 10 TE in round 9 or even later anyway), and I see NO reason to draft two TEs in a standard 12 team / 16 player redraft league - unless your league rules provide for TE flex.

If you can have a TE flex, you should consider drafting a second 2nd top-10 TE, but you must should carefully weigh the value of where you will have to draft him versus drafting a WR3 or RB3 who you could also plug into the flex position. If you can get him late enough, it could make sense for a permanent flex spot. Otherwise don't waste the roster spot, even it that scenario.

Dont know why you quoted me?? :unsure: I never said a ton of "great TEs"? I said there are alot of serviceable TEs and those are the ones i listed. So if you are going to quote me and make fun of me atleast do it right :thumbsup:

If you want to get Dallas Clark in the 4th round instead of Romo or a running back like Pierre Thomas(ADP#37 or 4th round), Ronnie Brown(ADP #39 Round 4) or someone else be my guest.

You won't regret it.

two better words: Tony Scheffler

you won't regret it. Can you say safety valve?

jdon

Dont know why you quoted me?? :unsure: I never said a ton of "great TEs"? I said there are alot of serviceable TEs and those are the ones i listed. So if you are going to quote me and make fun of me atleast do it right :thumbsup:

If you want to get Dallas Clark in the 4th round instead of Romo or a running back like Pierre Thomas(ADP#37 or 4th round), Ronnie Brown(ADP #39 Round 4) or someone else be my guest.

I don't think We Tigers ever suggested taking Dallas Clark in round 4; I think he said, and I agree that it doesn't make too much sense to take a TE15. There's much more risk and little reward to taking the bottom end of the guys you mentioned when guys like Finley, Gonzo, and Celek can be taken in the 5th or 6th, and Zack Miller and Shiancoe can be gotten in the 9th.

I also don't believe on re-reading his post, that he "made fun of you" or personally attacked you in any way, but was just adding to a very worthwhile discussion topic.

I don't think We Tigers ever suggested taking Dallas Clark in round 4; I think he said, and I agree that it doesn't make too much sense to take a TE15. There's much more risk and little reward to taking the bottom end of the guys you mentioned when guys like Finley, Gonzo, and Celek can be taken in the 5th or 6th, and Zack Miller and Shiancoe can be gotten in the 9th.

I also don't believe on re-reading his post, that he "made fun of you" or personally attacked you in any way, but was just adding to a very worthwhile discussion topic.

Yea i think you are correct. Got a little defensive after first line :doh:

My bad 'We Tigers'

Nah, I got love for Patssox. To me, "serviceable" implies someone you'd be happy to have start if you want to draft other positions earlier. I see monster value at TE 6-10, but was just pointing out that the tremendous value only goes so far.

Nah, I got love for Patssox. To me, "serviceable" implies someone you'd be happy to have start if you want to draft other positions earlier. I see monster value at TE 6-10, but was just pointing out that the tremendous value only goes so far.

COOL :doublethumbsup:

I love Finley this year but if you want him you will have to reach and lose out on real good back or WR. Martz does not have a good track record with TEs but i like Olsen in his second season with Cutler. And hell dont think Cutler can have a worse season then last year.