Sign in to follow this  
TheGiantJets

Randy Moss has a fiar shot at Rice's TD Record

A debate is can Rice's TD record ever be broken and who has the best chance to beat it between TO and Moss. I think we can take T.O. out of the discussion because of his age, but I really think Moss has a fair shot. Below are my reasons why.

1. Rice started at age 22 in 1985 and Moss started at age 21 in 1998.

2. In the first 12 years of both careers Rice had 154 TD's while Moss has 148. Moss has 6TD's less than Rice at the same point in career but Moss is also 1 year younger after the 12 years.

3. Rice on his 12th season scored 8td's after which he only scored higher once with 9 while Moss on his 12th season scored 13 and really doesn't show any immediate signs of slowing down.

4. Moss will need to average 6.5 in the next 8 years or 8.5 over the next 6 years.

I think Moss playing with Brady gives him a great shot. I also think the desire for a RING will give him the drive to play the extra years. While I always respect Rice I think Moss has the better physical attributes...the freak talent.

Ugh it is soooo tough to touch rice's record. You sometimes look at the stats and have hope, then you do the math and just get deflated. rice was the clear best nfl player ever and its just scary how many years of decent production you need to touch even a prayer of coming close to his records. If anyone, randy or fitz can do it tho.

With the way the game is headed, somebody will probably break Rice's record. Last year we had way more 4000 yard passers then every before. The only thing going Rice's way to hold onto the record is that the ball is being spread out more amongst WRs.

Randy doesn't have the work ethic Rice had.

I don't think Moss has anywere near the work ethic Jerry did to last as long and be as productive. I also doubt he stays with the pats that long.

There is a thread much like this at footballguys, and I thought Moss had a chance until I saw this:

12 WRs scored 8+ TDs at age 33.

9 WRs scored 8+ TDs at age 34.

5 WRs scored 8+ TDs at age 35.

1 WR scored 8+ TDs at age 36 (Jerry Rice).

0 WRs scored 8+ TDs at age 37.

0 WRs scored 8+ TDs at age 38.

1 WR scored 8+ TDs at age 39 (Jerry Rice).

Look at how sharp that dropoff is. If Moss is with an elite QB for the rest of his career and he plays into his 40's he has a very small chance to break the record. But I don't see either of those happening.

I think that this is the greatest differentiator between Rice and Moss (not to mention any other top WR). Yes, Moss is absurdly talented, but to highlight the most important way he can't carry Rice's jock I would point to his time with the Raiders. Did the Raiders suck? Yeah, they did, but he clearly quit on his team. I don't think anyone who has seen Rice play could imagine him doing the same--he went all-out every single play....

I think that this is the greatest differentiator between Rice and Moss (not to mention any other top WR). Yes, Moss is absurdly talented, but to highlight the most important way he can't carry Rice's jock I would point to his time with the Raiders. Did the Raiders suck? Yeah, they did, but he clearly quit on his team. I don't think anyone who has seen Rice play could imagine him doing the same--he went all-out every single play....

Agreed. I cant rememebr if it was on this forum or a different one, but i actually Had to debate Jerry as the hands down best football player all time. LOL I couldnt understand it, I didnt even know it was a debate! I felt like a fanboy having some ridiculous argument on why something dear to my heart is the best. Thats not the case, its just fact that jerry is recognized as the best all time. Sure, if you go best for their era, its otto graham by a mile. but thats a different sport practically. SB era is all that matters. Unreachable records in almost every category of his position? check. Winner? check. Multiple time winner? check. Big player in big games? check. Argument over.

One day - and probably a lot sooner than later - Moss will lose that blazing speed and last I checked, he wasn't much of a route runner.

I don't think Moss has anywere near the work ethic Jerry did to last as long and be as productive. I also doubt he stays with the pats that long.

Exactly. Moss will fall apart before he gets close.

Moss is slowly slipping now. He likely has 3 years left I would guess.

As Blusrams pointed out - scoring 8+ TD's past the age of 34/35 is asking a lot.

Moss depends way too much on his speed to be an elite WR for more than just a few more years. Even if he scores 30 over the next 3 years. He'd still need another 3-4 years with 5-6 TD's to break the record.

A debate is can Rice's TD record ever be broken and who has the best chance to beat it between TO and Moss. I think we can take T.O. out of the discussion because of his age, but I really think Moss has a fair shot. Below are my reasons why.

1. Rice started at age 22 in 1985 and Moss started at age 21 in 1998.

2. In the first 12 years of both careers Rice had 154 TD's while Moss has 148. Moss has 6TD's less than Rice at the same point in career but Moss is also 1 year younger after the 12 years.

3. Rice on his 12th season scored 8td's after which he only scored higher once with 9 while Moss on his 12th season scored 13 and really doesn't show any immediate signs of slowing down.

4. Moss will need to average 6.5 in the next 8 years or 8.5 over the next 6 years.

I think Moss playing with Brady gives him a great shot. I also think the desire for a RING will give him the drive to play the extra years. While I always respect Rice I think Moss has the better physical attributes...the freak talent.

Did Sapp break Rice's leg after or before his 12th season? That should effect the projections a little.

Randy Moss reportedly looks "a bit lighter and even a touch quicker" this season.

"Yeah, he is very talented, but he outworks 99 percent of the NFL," said Moss' trainer, willing to put the 33-year-old's grueling workout regimen up against any player's -- even Larry Fitzgerald's. "I’m definitely in some great, great shape," Moss boasted early this offseason. He made the Saints secondary look slow in early-week practices.

Per Rotoworld

:lol: