Sign in to follow this  
Legendary

Deep Sleepers at RB

Just curious to see if anyone can help me uncover some deep sleepers at the RB position. I'm talking about guys who you could get 130+ picks into a draft.

Typically when you get that late into a draft, All starters are gone and even the RBBC guys in line for 10 touches a game are gone. You're looking at players who back up workhorses. Players with little potential as a 3rd down back, but players who could step in and carry the ball 15-25 times if there is an injury(or injuries) that forces them into a starting role.

Here's a few of the players I think could fit this description:

Montario Hardesty- He actually might get carries even without an injury.

Javon Ringer- Hes the handcuff for CJ. If he gets a shot, he will benefit from working with a great offensive line and a coach that likes to run the ball alot.

Jonathan Dwyer- A big back capable of carrying the load if the injury prone Mendy goes down.

Anthony Dixon- Another big back who is backing up an injury prone star. Singletary wants to run the ball often no matter who his RB is, and Dixon has showcased his ability to carry a heavy load in the preseason.

Tim Hightower- Veteran who can play every-down if need be. Wells hasn't proven that he can receive a ton of touches and stay healthy.

Chester Taylor- Versatile veteran who is next in line if Forte gets injured or continues to struggle.

Correll Buckhalter- In a similar situation to chester Taylor

So who am i missing, guys?

Dwyer, by all reports, is likely headed to the practice squad.

Even if he does make the 53 man roster, the backup you want for Mendy is Isaac Redman.

Even if he does make the 53 man roster, the backup you want for Mendy is Isaac Redman.

Thanks LOL. Just removed him from my cheat sheet. Is Jason Snelling a guy I could add to my list? Is he next in line behind Turner?

What's the story on this Redman kid?

Redman is in his second year, I believe. 6'0, 230 lbs. Has been very impressive the last two preseasons, but because of the numbers game last season (Mendy, Parker, Moore, etc), he spent 2009 on the practice squad.

This year, with Parker gone, Dwyer having a horrible camp, and Moore not a suitable #2, Redman seems like a lock to make the roster and be the backup. Rotoworld even seems to think he could be a short yardage guy that will vulture Mendy's goal line carries. I'd be kind of surprised to see that happen, since Steelers coaches have been talking about Mendenhall getting the goal line, short yardage, and third down snaps this year. But if you want a handcuff, it'll be him.

I don't watch a lot of Falcon games, so I don't know much about their RB situation. I thought Snelling was getting the bulk of the carries last year when Turner went down. And the reports on rotoworld all point to him being the #2 again this year, with Norwood being a chance of pace (much like Moore will be to Mendenhall, with Redman being the actual backup). Sounds like Snelling is the back to target.

So who am i missing, guys?

Bernard Scott. He's probably going to get some touches regardless, but he could be huge if Benson were to miss time.

Kevin Smith? Everyone is high on Best (for good reason), but he could be somewhat of an injury risk. After reading a couple articles, it seems like many Lions fans are eager to get rid of Smith, but I like him a lot better than guys like Maurice Morris and DeDe Dorsey.

Kevin Smith? Everyone is high on Best (for good reason), but he could be somewhat of an injury risk. After reading a couple articles, it seems like many Lions fans are eager to get rid of Smith, but I like him a lot better than guys like Maurice Morris and DeDe Dorsey.

That's a name not many people are considering but he could be an every down back if Best gets injured.

Lately though I'm starting to think that no defender can even touch Best so how could he possibly get injured. Haha, no i'd be stupid to believe that. He could easily get nicked up if the Lions get greedy and mismanage his touches. Given his history, I would be a little more cautious with his playing time than the lion's staff has been so far in the preseason. They shouldn't treat him as an every down back.

I'd put Laurence Maroney on any list like this. He is going very, very late in drafts (even undrafted sometimes) and yet he could have a good year. Last year he ran for 757 yards and 9 TDs, despite starting off the year with very few carries and then getting benched in the last two games (because of fumbling problems).

In the middle of the season (weeks 6-15) he had at least 13 carries per game and totaled 157 carries for 636 yards and 9 TDs. Average that out over the season and you have some pretty great stats.

People are so down on him because he has been a dissapointment thus far. But this is a contract year, the Patriots have a bunch of old (fred taylor, sammy morris, kevin faulk) and injury-prone (taylor and morris) guys at RB, and the Patriots are supposedly dedicated to running a lot more this year. All of this means that Maroney could get a lot of carries, which would probably translate into a 1,000 yard season and 13-15 TDs. I'm not saying it will happen, but it could.

I'd put Laurence Maroney on any list like this. He is going very, very late in drafts (even undrafted sometimes) and yet he could have a good year. Last year he ran for 757 yards and 9 TDs, despite starting off the year with very few carries and then getting benched in the last two games (because of fumbling problems).

In the middle of the season (weeks 6-15) he had at least 13 carries per game and totaled 157 carries for 636 yards and 9 TDs. Average that out over the season and you have some pretty great stats.

People are so down on him because he has been a dissapointment thus far. But this is a contract year, the Patriots have a bunch of old (fred taylor, sammy morris, kevin faulk) and injury-prone (taylor and morris) guys at RB, and the Patriots are supposedly dedicated to running a lot more this year. All of this means that Maroney could get a lot of carries, which would probably translate into a 1,000 yard season and 13-15 TDs. I'm not saying it will happen, but it could.

shhhhh....contract year guy, that needs to have a great season. i'm looking for him in the 12-15 rd.

I pulled Maroney off the waiver wire last year and rode him through a really effective stretch of games. The thing is though, he never would've gotten that many touches if it weren't for injuries to Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris, and he fumbled in three straight games over that stretch and lost all of them. After Taylor and Morris got healthy his touches seriously decreased. He lost a fumble and was benched after 5 carries in Week 16 and didn't play at all in the season finale. I just don't think the Pats like him that much. Unless there's another rash of injuries he's probably not going to get more than 150 carries or so and he's not a big factor in the passing games.

As a late, late, late sleeper - sure. But I wouldn't think of taking him before Round 10 or later. 4th RB at best.

Chris Ivory.

Payton loves to turn a nobody into a stud.

Might get cut

1st I have heard of this.

source?

1st I have heard of this.

source?

Speculation by writer in today's free press.http://www.freep.com/article/20100829/SPORTS01/8290672/1049/SPORTS01/Three-Lions-questions-with-Drew-Sharp

I guess it depends on how many RB's they want to keep. Adrian Brown the quick speedster who impressed last pre-season too will make the team based on special teams. Then it's down to Morris and Smith, and Smith hasn't done much this pre-season.

Speculation by writer in today's free press.http://www.freep.com/article/20100829/SPORTS01/8290672/1049/SPORTS01/Three-Lions-questions-with-Drew-Sharp

I guess it depends on how many RB's they want to keep. Adrian Brown the quick speedster who impressed last pre-season too will make the team based on special teams. Then it's down to Morris and Smith, and Smith hasn't done much this pre-season.

As a Best owner, I wouldn't be heartbroken.

2 super sleepers im debating on grabbing one:

Jeremiah Johnson: Arian Foster is very unproven. He has had a good preseason but we all know how kubiak likes to switch rbs. so if arian doesnt perform johnson could be next in line. there is also a report that steve slaton has turf toe. ouch

Kareem Huggins: guy has had a solid preseason. derrick ward hasn't done much. cadillac has an injury history to boot. the coaches are really impressed with huggins.

I pulled Maroney off the waiver wire last year and rode him through a really effective stretch of games. The thing is though, he never would've gotten that many touches if it weren't for injuries to Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris, and he fumbled in three straight games over that stretch and lost all of them. After Taylor and Morris got healthy his touches seriously decreased. He lost a fumble and was benched after 5 carries in Week 16 and didn't play at all in the season finale. I just don't think the Pats like him that much. Unless there's another rash of injuries he's probably not going to get more than 150 carries or so and he's not a big factor in the passing games.

As a late, late, late sleeper - sure. But I wouldn't think of taking him before Round 10 or later. 4th RB at best.

I got him in the 14th round last night, almost Mr. Irrelevant. Tell me somebody who has that kind of upside in a high powered offense that gets GL carries "somewhat" and you can get that late.

I did read that Smith was "battling for a job," but I still consider Best a risk and I'd rather have Smith than any of the other RB's on Detroit's roster (not that that's saying too much of course).

Is Brandon Jackson worth anything as Grant's backup? Or should I get Huggins off waivers?

This thread is titled "deep sleepers." I wouldn't recommend taking Maroney before Round 10, but as a 12-15 round guy he could end up being gold. I don't think the Patriots are as down on him as you seem to believe, either. They think he has fixed his fumbling problems. As for Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris, it is not a question of "if" those guys will get injured but when.

Dwyer is sleeping his way out of the NFL.

forget where i read it, but pre-draft there was an nfl scout who ripped dwyer to shreds said he didn't have it for the nfl and wouldn't make it.

hmm...

I did read that Smith was "battling for a job," but I still consider Best a risk and I'd rather have Smith than any of the other RB's on Detroit's roster (not that that's saying too much of course).

we can debate best and his long-term health, but no way does kevin smith have any kind of meaningful future with the lions. i'm a homer and i'm staying far away from this guy. just saying.

This thread is titled "deep sleepers." I wouldn't recommend taking Maroney before Round 10, but as a 12-15 round guy he could end up being gold. I don't think the Patriots are as down on him as you seem to believe, either. They think he has fixed his fumbling problems. As for Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris, it is not a question of "if" those guys will get injured but when.

I might have soured on Maroney because he got me all of 0 net points in the championship last year - won anyway though. :thumbsup:

His ceiling is really limited by the fact that the Pats run a very deep RBBC. 800 yards and 7-8 TDs is IMO pretty much the best you could hope for. You can do a lot worse in Round 10, true.

Why would you say that?

cuz that's the rumor in motown right now. if there are more talented rbs than smith fighting for a job, schwartz won't hesitate to keep them over smith. he has no allegiance to smith.

personally i'd keep tabs on aaron brown as the better sleeper rb on the lions roster. but don't waste a draft pick on him; keep tabs on him on the waiver wire should best get dinged. while everyone else in that scenario puts in a bid for smith, take brown instead.

1. There is no way Smith is cut. The guy works his ass off to get the most of his talent. He will make the team and take over when Best misses time this year (and he will. He always did in his college days.).

2. Maroney is a tease, but not by his own hand. BB doesn't give RBs the chance to get into rhythm. I like him, but I'm afraid he doesn't live up to his draft stock until he is elsewhere next year.

3. Dwyer is better than people think (as you saw tonight). He has been nagged by little injuries dating back to OTAs. His health is coming around, and he has the tools to succeed as a feature back. If Mendy goes down, do you really believe Isaac "Two yards and a cloud of dust" Redman starts? Please. Dwyer will make the roster, and get carries as the season progresses.

Willis McGahee...... even with RR putting up stupid #'s, he got 10 TD's. He's been going undrafted in most of the mocks I've done.

Kareem Huggins, Tampa Bay.

Guy has been getting a lot of hype during camp (locally, not so much nationally), and has looked pretty good in preseason action.

The Bucs cut Derrick Ward today, making Huggins the clear-cut #2.

If you don't trust Caddy to stay healthy, or think Tampa might use an even-split RBBC, he's worth a late flier. And by late, I'm talking last round, or second to last round. Seems like no one knows about this kid....yet?

Guy has been getting a lot of hype during camp (locally, not so much nationally), and has looked pretty good in preseason action.

If you don't trust Caddy to stay healthy, or think Tampa might use an even-split RBBC, he's worth a late flier. And by late, I'm talking last round, or second to last round. Seems like no one knows about this kid....yet?

is Clifton Smith not the #2?

Based on the original question - who are some deep sleepers with an ADP of 130 picks in (11th round in 12 man leagues) these are my favorite sleepers at RB and why:

1. Bernard Scott (13.05)- He's not just a handcuff he's very talented. Ced Bens toted the rock a ton last year and Scott could easily have some games as the primary ball carrier and has the talent to capitalize on it.

2. Leon Washington (12.01) - Very explosive and back on the field. I think Leon can play his way into a primary role - even over Forsett and especially that bum Julius Jones.

3. Fred Tayler (13.06) - I honestly think Belicheck just doesn't like Maroney. Forget his contract year and all that. I think Taylor is the back to own in NE. I know its a mess but you can pick him up late and NE should be explosive this year.

And 3 guys way off the radar

4. Peyton Hillis - I like Jerome Harrison as a mid-round pick. But Hardesty is a rookie who hasn't been in camp. Dumb rookies who don't learn the playbook and get on the field with the 1st team don't step right in. Hillis runs hard and he's been in there splitting duty with the first team. Harrison fumbled during that muddy game in week 2 against the Rams and Hillis jumped right in. He's a coaches guy - works hard, picks things up fast and never stops. He's going undrafted and off of everyones radar.

5. Jeremiah Johnson - Slaton has turf toe. Slaton has no trust from Kubiak. If Foster goes down I think Johnson works his way in as the primary ball carrier.

6. Ryan Torrain - Drafted by shanny in Denver. Portis sucks and will get banged up. Fast Willie's all done as a back in the NFL. Larry Johnson looks so mediocre everytime he runs it would not be surprising at all to see him cut on roster day. Look for Torrain as a deep flier.

Everything I'm seeing has Graham as the #2. Am I missing something?

Everything I'm seeing has Graham as the #2. Am I missing something?

The last update I read on Graham said he was the starting FB. That was back in July though - haven't seen a single update on him anywhere.

Rotoworld on Huggins:

Today:

Bucs released RB Derrick Ward.

It may seem hard to believe that the Bucs would cut ties with Ward one year after signing him to a four-year, $17 million contract, but anybody watching him run in preseason action could see the writing on the wall. Ward has lost more than few steps, and the difference in burst between him and Kareem Huggins was stark. Huggins will move into the change-of-pace role while Cadillac Williams solidifies his standing as the lead back. GM Mark Dominik's seat continues to get hotter and hotter.

August 26:

Coach Raheem Morris blames Derrick Ward's poor performance in preseason action on not being in shape.

Ward has looked awfully sluggish, so it's no surprise that he's carrying a bit of extra weight. He also sat out parts of OTAs as an informal protest against losing the starting job to Cadillac Williams last year. The upcoming game against the Jags is crucial with Kareem Huggins outplaying him for the No. 2 job.

August 23:

Kareem Huggins is expected to be promoted to No. 2 on the Bucs' tailback depth chart prior to Saturday's third preseason game.

Derrick Ward will move down a rung, while the more explosive Huggins continues to assert himself as Cadillac Williams' likely "change of pace" back. We'd normally call the promotion of an undrafted player ahead of a "proven" veteran like Ward stabilizing news for Cadillac's fantasy value, but Huggins is arguably an even greater threat to Williams' touches than the pedestrian Ward. Huggins is worth a late-round flier in all leagues at this point.

August 22:

Kareem Huggings continued to impress on Saturday night, getting reps with the first-team offense and recording 44 yards on eight carries.

If you're looking for an extra-deep running back sleeper, this is it. Derrick Ward has had a dreadful preseason and suffered a possible concussion on Saturday, but Huggins was outplaying him badly anyway.

August 17:

Stephen Holder of the St. Petersburg Times suggests that Kareem Huggins is a "threat" to Derrick Ward's job as the primary backup to Cadillac Williams.

Huggins has already blown past Clifton Smith for the No. 3 job, and coach Raheem Morris has made it clear that Ward is "competing" for his spot on the roster. Ward called his abysmal performance in the preseason opener a "fluke" and promises to come out stronger this week. He'll have to because he's in a dogfight for his job.

Is Huggins really worth pulling off the wire? If Caddy breaks, is he really a viable flex option? I have Rashad Jennings as MJD's handcuff, not sure I really need to 'cuff my RB4. Thoughts?

I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong. Dwyer has made the final 53.

Still not sure if he'll be the #2 over Redman. Safest best is to probably wait and see who spells Mendenhall next weekend, before making any moves.