Sign in to follow this  
onejayhawk

Mike Singletary watch.

It is not just the 0-3 start. It is not just getting pounded by Seattle and Kansas City. It is not just the embarrassment of the interview blow up. It is all those things, but it is mostly the perception, from here at least, that this team has gotten away from the coach.

I live in Waco, TX, which makes Singletary a local story. I didnt see him surviving the season after the week 1 disaster. Now I wonder if he will survive the day. What have you west coast guys got to say?

J

It might not just be the coach, although he does come across as a mental midget with a giant Easter Island statue head. He was a great player, can't take that away from him.

The QB is an ongoing issue, and that just won't get resolved anytime soon.

The whole SF team looks like a chemical smoldering mess. They seem to have talent, but not seem to consistently play up to their abilities. Either blow everything up and start over and try to finish rebuilding before Arizona and Seattle get too far ahead of you in the rebuilding process, or pray you get the right coach to come in and press the right buttons.

He needs to save this team and this season by getting his pants on the ground!

I would be shocked if they fired Singletary.

What outside of a few bad losses would make the owners do this? They not selling tickets?

Well, It isnt like Singletary is making anything positive happen, is he? Coaches can be replaced easily, players cant. It doesnt seem fair but thats the way it is. His "old school" philosophy doesnt seem to be taking with 20 year old millionaires. Coaches like him and any others that seem to think its still 1984 have to realize that you must get the players to both respect and LIKE you if you want them to go to battle for you. If you are just a whiny, grumpy, "old-school" crybaby, you'll lose them forever.

Singletary must go. Its not working.

word on the street is, he lined up his entire team, pulled down his pants, and walked across all of them, slapping their faces with his ###### like a 3 stooges skit. Expect them to rip off 8 straight wins!

He's gone by middle of the year. Team is in shambles, and not because they don't have talent. They can't get plays in, players can't understand O coordinator. They implode in the redzone. Coach seems to totally have lost the team...

I thought we'd see the Full Frontal after that waxing by the Chiefs, but Mike decided to drop his OC instead of his trousers. He'll have plenty of other opportunities, though.

I think people respect the name too much. Yeah he was a great player but that doesn't translate into being a great coach or GM. Im from the east coast so i don't see any niners games but when he's being interviewed or at a press conference he seems a little slow. Like he's not all up there. I think he's a little loopy from all the shots he took when he was a player. I also think he's a lousy coach.

Debartalo >>>>> York

Walsh >>>>>>> Singletary

Rat >>>>>>>> Raye

BallBoy >>>>>>> Crabtree

I hate comparing, but when you have such a storied franchise it stinks to endure such mediocrity.

One Frustrated 49er Fan

No. Just no. :rolleyes:

They fired Raye. There was the problem. At least in my opinion.

I did not realize he coached the defense that gave up 192 yards and a score to TJones and JCharles. Silly me, I thought the OC had some thing to do with the play calling, not the defense.

Perhaps the team can survive this setback, but they look like no one is in charge.

J

I did not realize he coached the defense that gave up 192 yards and a score to TJones and JCharles. Silly me, I thought the OC had some thing to do with the play calling, not the defense.

Perhaps the team can survive this setback, but they look like no one is in charge.

Getting all sarcastic and uppity about the performance of the 49er defense in one or two games in an attempt to argue that the 49er offense isn't the reason they've been struggling is akin to you trying to understand the intent of a sentence by looking only at the first word. Unless you've watched all 19 of our previous games and followed the team throughout the offseason, I think I'll be taking your evaluation of Raye, Manusky, and Singletary's performance with a grain of salt.

If Singletary proves to be the problem and Raye was just following orders, sure, he'll get canned. I'm just not 100% certain until we see what the new OC can do over the course of the next few weeks.

I'd say Singletary's job throughout the season hinges most on the Oakland game. If we're 0-5 and lose that game, he could be fired then.

If we win that game, he gets at least to the BYE week. If things have improved, he gets the rest of the season. Then...who knows?

On the other hand, you have to consider his replacement. There's not a single coach on the staff that could feasibly replace Singletary during the season.

Mike Singletary is using reverse psychology on his team.

"Tell Pete Carroll thank you very much for kicking our tails," the San Francisco 49ers coach said after Seattle's 31-6 thrashing Sunday. "It was good medicine, and we're going to take it up the poop shoot and like it."

It's hard to say. The talent on the team still leads me to think a turnaround is possible. That being said, it's now doubtful to me that Singletary will be able to turn it around, he just doesn't have seem to have the skills and/or temperament for it. He seems way too insecure also. Some people can be successful being a head coach without being a coordinator like Madden and Tomlin but it's clear that's an exception to the rule. Even if the 49ers rebound to be just mediocre, the York's would be prefer to keep him around to the finish the year so they can go after a Gruden or a Cowher, a coach of that stature would demand more power than they would prefer to give but the 49ers haven't had

skilled football people making decisions for years. On the flip side, 0-5 gives them no choice.

I said something similar after their first loss... there are some weird dynamics in SF. Coffee decides to retire during camp, and their 1st rounder from a few years ago just stops coming to practice and is eventually traded. Singletary put them through the hardest camp in the NFL, and they are 0-3 with two utter pollaxings. Issues with Crabtree, Davis. Firing the coordinator who was implementing your plan.

This can't end well. Unless like me, you are a Cards fan. I guess it is a matter of perspective. :music_guitarred:

Singletary comes off to me as a coach that's all talk and no game. You can only do so much trying to teach players how to act and think, but that doesn't mean anything without the ability to utilize those skills in a game.

He also seems a bit wacko. Not exactly the kind of person I'd want as a coach.