Sign in to follow this  
Fearsome

Not replacing K or D/ST during a bye week

I am in a limited transaction league and I have already used 7 of my 10 moves. Just lost Clayton. I always want to keep an add/drop for the playoffs just in case which gives me two...to replace the K and the D/ST. I have Akers and the Packers which both have bye weeks coming up. Have any of you done this and had a positive result?

based on the title of this thread alone, i would have said no way! despite being unpredictable, kickers and defenses can make or break a week and its tough to punt a roster spot on any given week.

however, in your situation it seems you have painted yourself into a corner and really have no choice. How did you manage to blow 7 roster moves after only 4 weeks? Especially if you had the smarts to save 2 for playoff time, it seems you would have done a better job managing your other 8 for the 14(?) regular season weeks.

i really dislike leagues with a transaction limit.

That limit sucks. Every week in my league it's a scramble to get a key pick-up, especially during bye weeks or after a marquee player gets injured.

Unlike my friend the Wonderful One, I LIKE leagues with transaction limits or a blind bid yearly budget. 3 of my 6 leagues have a maximum of 25 or 30 transaction moves per season. Two of these three ALSO have a blind bid system, as well as 2 other leagues that have only blind bids. So only one league I play in has no blind bids or transaction limits.

I would NOT play in a league that allows less than 20 roster moves per season, or one that charges transaction fees. But, IMO any roster limit of 20, 25 or 30 is very reasonable, and reasonable roster limits increase the degree of strategy required to manage your team, without handcuffing an owner excessively.

In my leagues that allow an owner to compete with an empty roster spot (3 of mine do) I've often left the kicker spot empty to cover a bye week and save a roster move.

This year I actually refused to add a kicker to my Auction league roster until week 3, not because of roster limits, but because I was so happy with the talent I put together without the kicker that I refused to dump any player on the waiver wire. It took me two weeks to engineer a trade of two of my players for Randy Moss and Nate Kaeding and fill my roster. So my patience was rewarded, and that team is 5-0.

blind bid is not really a limit on the # of transactions you can do so i support it. That is to say, you can determine how to spread it out.

and a 30 transaction limit is something I would be ok with.

10 just seems silly and really takes away from a vital aspect of managing your fantasy team.

I'm considering taking a 0 for my D when the Jets are off b/c I like the Jets D and dont want to drop my other players, I'm sitting at #2 on the WW that doesn't reset every week, and I'm leading the league. I'll risk the 0 to stay there poised to grab a top flight WW pick. Many times, in our league the D will only get 2-3 pts...although sometimes 20+ (see NYG). I don't think it's always a bad move, but you've kind of screwed yourself by being in a league with such a low limit and by using 70% of that limit in the first 1/3 of the season.

I'm considering taking a 0 for my D when the Jets are off b/c I like the Jets D and dont want to drop my other players, I'm sitting at #2 on the WW that doesn't reset every week, and I'm leading the league. I'll risk the 0 to stay there poised to grab a top flight WW pick. Many times, in our league the D will only get 2-3 pts...although sometimes 20+ (see NYG). I don't think it's always a bad move, but you've kind of screwed yourself by being in a league with such a low limit and by using 70% of that limit in the first 1/3 of the season.

Why would you take a 0 from one of the highest scoring positions? Ok you said ur league is different with defenses i guess but still usualy DST scores way more than MOST rbs, wrs and te. Not only that, but because its so common for alot of defenses to score alot of points, your opponent will prob have a 10-20 pnt advantage on u out of the gate because hes starting a defense! its suicide really. id sit a TE before a dst and def a kicker. k would be bad too because just like dst they score mostly the same points around 5-10 so thats yet more points that your opponent is ahead before the game starts. Dont do it!

I always thought taking a zero because a person doesn't want to drop/add is bush league. If a person can't/won't field a complete team he should forfeit, just like in softball leagues. It doesn't follow the spirit of competition even if it's viewed as a strategic decision. Bye weeks are part of the game and should be fully taken into account on draft day.

I took a zero for my kicker last year, and still won. My team was loaded, and I couldn't drop anyone. A kicker usually scores 3 - 12 pts per game, if you think you don't need those pts, take the risk.

As for the transaction limits, you have screwed yourself on that count.

I am a fan of transaction limits. And I am also a fan of playing the players that you drafted (for the first 3-4 weeks). If someone drafts a shiat team I don't see why they are allowed to replace their whole team through the waiver wire.

Thanks for the great posts fellas...We have a 10 transaction limit for two reasons. The first is to put a premium on the draft. The second is to keep people from making 50+ plus moves per year playing match-ups and such. We do not charge for moves. I had a good draft but needed to supplement a few areas...Here are my moves.

Torain, Ryan RB WAS - Added

Portis, Clinton RB WAS - Dropped

Keller, Dustin TE NYJ - Added

Harrison, Jerome RB CLE - Dropped

Clayton, Mark WR STL - Added

Jones, Felix RB DAL - Dropped

Roethlisberger, Ben QB PIT - Added

Kolb, Kevin QB PHI - Dropped

Bradshaw, Ahmad RB NYG - Traded from CheezHeadz

Orton, Kyle QB DEN - Added

Bush, Michael RB OAK - Dropped

Harrison, Jerome RB CLE - Traded from Prime Time Boyz

I needed RB help and drank the Harrison Kool-Aid and had to rectify that later. I was a Kolb owner with no back-up so I added Orton and grabbed Big Ben as well. My WR are strong with Megatron, Roddy and R Moss. This is a 10 team standard league, no PPR and WR/TE combined. I think you guys are telling me to make the moves. I have a couple of weeks to ponder but Kenny Britt is available for Clayton so we will see.

I rolled without a TE in Week 5. I had Brady on bye and Cutler got hurt so I had to use my move on picking up a QB. I had Hernandez on bye and didn't have room for another TE.

It worked out well for me because I got crushed 125 -77 anyway ... so dropping someone like Tate or Knox wouldn't have been worth it anyway.

I picked up St. Louis to fill in during New England's bye last week. It's a 12 team league and for some reason there are a few owners that carry 2 defenses on their roster. St. Louis looked to have a good matchup against Detroit.

I wish I had taken the zero instead of picking them up. I got -3 points from them.

Thanks for the great posts fellas...We have a 10 transaction limit for two reasons. The first is to put a premium on the draft. The second is to keep people from making 50+ plus moves per year playing match-ups and such. We do not charge for moves. I had a good draft but needed to supplement a few areas...Here are my moves.

I needed RB help and drank the Harrison Kool-Aid and had to rectify that later. I was a Kolb owner with no back-up so I added Orton and grabbed Big Ben as well. My WR are strong with Megatron, Roddy and R Moss. This is a 10 team standard league, no PPR and WR/TE combined. I think you guys are telling me to make the moves. I have a couple of weeks to ponder but Kenny Britt is available for Clayton so we will see.

In our league you would get 0 for your kicker and -10 for your def/st. Not playing either might be looked upon as sandbagging which would cost you your 1st round pick next year.

We have a limit of 6 waivers and unlimited trading. Waivers shut down week 8 while most teams are still in it. We have deep rosters not much left on the wire to choose from. Most teams roll with 2 kickers and 2 def.

In years past, I've taken a doughnut on something like a TE, but that was only when I had lucked in to fantasy gold with the rest of my roster and was far ahead in the standings. Further, in years past, such a position was a joke if you didn't have someone like Shannon Sharpe. More recently, over the years, I've wound up simply replacing my "good" kicker for another one (permanently). My traditionally "big name" kickers get scooped up, I've had to accept that, but I'm in a league where overall points are a tiebreaker so I can never ever afford a zero in any slot. Moral to the story: make the hard choices; that's part of what makes fantasy football so exciting. Field the best lineup you can every week.

What the point of putting a premium on the draft? The regular season player moves and trades should be just as important. The more action the better. Taking a zero is a cardinal sin in fantasy. Almost bad...not charging for player moves and having a limit on the number of moves.

I am in a limited transaction league and I have already used 7 of my 10 moves. Just lost Clayton. I always want to keep an add/drop for the playoffs just in case which gives me two...to replace the K and the D/ST. I have Akers and the Packers which both have bye weeks coming up. Have any of you done this and had a positive result?

I would not use a transaction under these circumstances.

BTW: Dumb rule!

Seriously, what does it matter to you how many transactions someone makes.

By trying to avoid people who play match-ups you have declared your league a beginners league that can't handle all competition.

I would find a better league next year.

If you go without a D/ST or K because you want to save a transaction for the playoffs, you run the risk of not making the playoffs. The first job is to get into the playoffs. Even if you are at 5-0, we're only one-third of the way through the season. A lot can happen.

Also, if your league insists on transaction limits, you need to increase the number. Working the waiver wire is part of the game.

If you can't fill a starting team each week, you should get 0 for the entire week. It's weak, and it hurts the other teams since you aren't playing at full strength. You knew you had a limit on WW moves. You should then be required to hold 2 kickers or 2 Defenses.

In our league you would get 0 for your kicker and -10 for your def/st. Not playing either might be looked upon as sandbagging which would cost you your 1st round pick next year. We have a limit of 6 waivers and unlimited trading. Waivers shut down week 8 while most teams are still in it. We have deep rosters not much left on the wire to choose from. Most teams roll with 2 kickers and 2 def.
So if you lose both your QBs after Week 8 due to injury (not uncommon) - you can't make a move, and you'll be called a "sandbagger" and lose a draft pick next year because you roll out a crap 3rd QB or no QB at all? What a douche league. :thumbsdown:

I considered doing this last week, but decided to drop my 5th depth receiver and added Josh Brown. Brown scored six and I won by four. I'd be kicking myself if I hadn't covered my kicker during his bye week. Good Luck whatever you do.

Why, oh why, for the love of all that is holy....

do trades count towards your transaction limits?? I thought this was an okay sitch until you posted your list of previous moves.

what a stoopid rule. Half the fun is managing your team. Your league ensures that everyone in it has a intensely limited capacity to do so.

Why would you take a 0 from one of the highest scoring positions? Ok you said ur league is different with defenses i guess but still usualy DST scores way more than MOST rbs, wrs and te. Not only that, but because its so common for alot of defenses to score alot of points, your opponent will prob have a 10-20 pnt advantage on u out of the gate because hes starting a defense! its suicide really. id sit a TE before a dst and def a kicker. k would be bad too because just like dst they score mostly the same points around 5-10 so thats yet more points that your opponent is ahead before the game starts. Dont do it!

what type of league has DST as one of the highest scoring positions? How do they "usually score more than MOST rbs, wr's and te's"????

If you play in a league where DST scores more than those other positions, please find a new league.

ofcourse there are weeks where a defense will go off, pitch a shutout, score 2 td's, have 3 picks and 7 sacks... but those weeks are not the norm. A good defense probably averages 8-10 pts.

We have a 10 transaction limit for two reasons. The first is to put a premium on the draft. The second is to keep people from making 50+ plus moves per year playing match-ups and such. We do not charge for moves. I had a good draft but needed to supplement a few areas...Here are my moves.

both reasons are silly.

first of all, the draft is simply part of your overall FF experience. Monitoring the changes that go on in the NFL during the year and acting accordingly is another part and you are placing a severe limit on that aspect.

I also get the funny feeling your league drafts in July which would make the "premium on the draft" reason even more hilarious.

secondly, why should any owner be kept from making 50+ transactions? can't they manage their team how they see fit?

If you can't fill a starting team each week, you should get 0 for the entire week. It's weak, and it hurts the other teams since you aren't playing at full strength. You knew you had a limit on WW moves. You should then be required to hold 2 kickers or 2 Defenses.

Thats the way we play. You must field a starting lineup, or take a doughnut for the week.