Sign in to follow this  
Daves Take

Ideas to Avoid Bad Trades?

I'm looking for ideas to avoid bad trades in my salary cap, dynasty league. We just had a deal where Brady, LT, Benson, BJGE were swapped for injured players in the final year of their contracts, a 1st in next year's rookie draft and Ben Tate (3 more years). The league is on fire.

It's the worst trade that I've ever seen.

Looking for ideas to avoid these kinds of scenarios. Got any?

Earlier this season i gave up Brandon Tate and Aaron Hernandez for Andre Johnson.

There...now its not the worst trade youve ever seen.

EDIT: Crap...i just re-read the OP....somehow i missed that this was a serious post.....i hope smart-assery isnt against the rules for those of us under 6000 posts

Create a no fire sale clause regarding trades....also make is so that you cannot trade future picks for current players until the season is over.

One team could trade their 1st rd picks over the next 3 years to win this year then quit the league. This is the way to stop that.

I'm starting to believe Mobb Deep and Cbfalcon spend their evenings spooning and watching the lifetime network.

Geez boys don't you have enough patience to not be complete dooshbag/######/cockbreath_losers?

The better than thou auto responses are getting old.

Okay. So far we have:

1. no trading of future picks during the season,

2. veto all trades

Vetoing all trades is extreme but perhaps no trading of picks makes sense.

As for the other responses, getting better owners is awfully difficult. That seems to happen as a league matures but these leagues won't be around if these trades keep happening.

One bad one leads to another bad one because then it's okay because somebody else did it.

Respect the league. Don't offer a bad deal and don't accept a bad deal just because it's the only deal you've been offered.

I'm looking for ideas to avoid bad trades in my salary cap, dynasty league. We just had a deal where Brady, LT, Benson, BJGE were swapped for injured players in the final year of their contracts, a 1st in next year's rookie draft and Ben Tate (3 more years). The league is on fire.

This appears to be more than one trade you are referring to, but in dynasty and deep keeper leagues you should have in your bylaws that before a next years draft pick can be traded for a current player, the owner who trades him must deposit (at least half of) next years dues. I consider this just a cost of doing business.

Since I've never played in a league with multi-year contracts, I don't know if there is a better answer on that, but generally most of these leagues have pretty stable ownership.

That trade is pretty unbalanced. I'd be forced to veto it as well.

Guy asked a legit question. Good to see you and your boyfriend still patting each other on the fanny.

Start by looking at the deal from the perspective of the guy already playing for next year. What is his motivation? If you take into account the league rules and the salary implications of the deal, is it really that bad of a deal?

God protects us from evil. A good commissioner protects his idiot owners. If we have a lopsided trade, it goes up for a vote. today, there was a trade: collie, jets d, and felix jones for lee evans, redskins d, and addai. it caused a ruckus and once the owners told me they did the trade before anyone knew collie was coming back, i didn't even put it up to a vote. fair trade on tuesday, not so even on friday.

good comisioner with balls and active owners who ###### will prevent this crap from happening.

Start by looking at the deal from the perspective of the guy already playing for next year. What is his motivation? If you take into account the league rules and the salary implications of the deal, is it really that bad of a deal?

Waiting on the answer for this but... I'll throw out an earlier trade deadline as a means to prevent the fire sale. I suspect that the guy giving up Brady, etc. is out of it and in "rebuild" mode. The trade probably makes quite a bit of sense given the 1st round pick and the expiring contracts and the resulting $ that can be used to acquire players.

What is the shelf live of BGJE, LT, Benson??? Anyone irreplaceable? Brady is still dependable... does he have another option at QB that is younger and/or cheaper?

God protects us from evil. A good commissioner protects his idiot owners. If we have a lopsided trade, it goes up for a vote. today, there was a trade: collie, jets d, and felix jones for lee evans, redskins d, and addai. it caused a ruckus and once the owners told me they did the trade before anyone knew collie was coming back, i didn't even put it up to a vote. fair trade on tuesday, not so even on friday.

good comisioner with balls and active owners who ###### will prevent this crap from happening.

At least two owners thought this an OK deal. Problem is there will always be owners that biatch. You guys must have fun managing each others teams.