Sign in to follow this  
Jarvis Basnight

Mark Ingram

I've just skimmed through this thread, but are people actually comparing Ivory to Ingram? :blink:

Ivory is a pretty good player, and I respect the work he's put in to get to where he's at, but C'mon!!!

I do agree with avoiding Saints running backs when it comes to fantasy. Payton utilizes his skill players very intelligently from a real football standpoint but frustratingly for us fantasy ballers.

Are the Saints definitely keeping Pierre?

We signed him to a three year deal before the lockout. PT is the best swing pass RB in the league. He'll get the hard yards when needed but he is a much better receiver out of the backfield. He's patient and knows how to follow his blocks. When PT stays healthy, he's a good RB3 in ppr leagues.

All you guys projecting over 200 carries for a rookie back in a lockout year that plays for Sean Payton are nuts. The Saints rushed the ball 380 times last year. If you think a rookie is getting over half of that workload with 4 other talented backs on the roster, you're nuts. Even if Ivory doesn't play at all in 2011, Sproles & Thomas *will* eat into Ingram's carries.

Best swing pass rb based on what? If I'm an offensive coordinator and could choose any rb in the league Thomas is no where on my radar.

quote name='BunnysBastatrds' date='28 July 2011 - 12:48 PM' timestamp='1311878776' post='4519611']

We signed him to a three year deal before the lockout. PT is the best swing pass RB in the league. He'll get the hard yards when needed but he is a much better receiver out of the backfield. He's patient and knows how to follow his blocks. When PT stays healthy, he's a good RB3 in ppr leagues.

I'm still high on Ingram despite the presence of the other backs, especially longterm for keeper and dynasty.

The Saints gave up picks to move up to take Ingram in the first round, in a day and age where teams don't place much emphasis on taking RBs high in the draft. This means they obviously love Ingram enough not only to pull the trigger on him in the first, but also give up picks and move up to get him.

Also, people are enamored with Chris Ivory, and yes, he was great last year, but obviously the Saints aren't confident in his ability to come back from that injury, or they see him as a backup. Thomas also has durability issues.

I've also read reports from Saints beatwriters (sorry no link, but I'm sure it's Googleable) saying that Payton and the coaching staff wants to get back to being a more balanced offense and run more in a more traditional sense like they did when they had Deuce McAllister.

So yes, while I see somewhat of a RBBC in NO, it is definitely going to be swayed in Irgram's direction IMO, with him getting close to 200 touches + goal line carries.

I seriously think Ingram reaches 1,000 yards and at least 8-10 TDs this season simply based on what New Orleans did to move up and get him.

I've just skimmed through this thread, but are people actually comparing Ivory to Ingram? :blink:

Ivory is a pretty good player, and I respect the work he's put in to get to where he's at, but C'mon!!!

I do agree with avoiding Saints running backs when it comes to fantasy. Payton utilizes his skill players very intelligently from a real football standpoint but frustratingly for us fantasy ballers.

I can only report on what I saw from Ivory last year. He was good. In fact, I haven't read anyone here say he wasn't good. So, that said, Ingram is not a burner. He's also a big physical RB. How much better is he than Ivory? Really. A little? A lot? Ingram being compared to Emmitt Smith is what is hilarious.

I can only report on what I saw from Ivory last year. He was good. In fact, I haven't read anyone here say he wasn't good. So, that said, Ingram is not a burner. He's also a big physical RB. How much better is he than Ivory? Really. A little? A lot? Ingram being compared to Emmitt Smith is what is hilarious.

Unless Ingram gets injured, I think Ivory is an afterthought and there will be plenty of comparisons to Emmitt.

Nothing but positive from coaches, players, and the media so far about Ingram. My initial projections could be spot on. Many sites have moved him into their top 15 and I'm assuming most, if not all, will soon follow.

Unless Ingram gets injured, I think Ivory is an afterthought and there will be plenty of comparisons to Emmitt.

Nothing but positive from coaches, players, and the media so far about Ingram. My initial projections could be spot on. Many sites have moved him into their top 15 and I'm assuming most, if not all, will soon follow.

I don't doubt Ingram can be a top 15 RB if he gets the chance, especially in that offense. However, Pierre Thomas is very productive when he is healthy and as long as he's healthy Ingram will be nothing but a stab-in-the-dark-bye-week-fill-in wasting space on your bench while your begging Thomas to "don't get up" every time he gets tackled. As everyone in this games knows, though, Pierre Thomas is frail (which is why he'll probably stay healthy this year) and Ingram should get his chance.

I don't doubt Ingram can be a top 15 RB if he gets the chance, especially in that offense. However, Pierre Thomas is very productive when he is healthy and as long as he's healthy Ingram will be nothing but a stab-in-the-dark-bye-week-fill-in wasting space on your bench while your begging Thomas to "don't get up" every time he gets tackled. As everyone in this games knows, though, Pierre Thomas is frail (which is why he'll probably stay healthy this year) and Ingram should get his chance.

My jumbled thoughts:

Thomas has talent and knows the offense, which is why they resigned him.

Thomas has never carried the ball more than 147 times.

Ivory is a medical mess and who knows when he'll be useful.

Sproles is a nice addition and will play the R Bush roll. Low carries, high receptions.

Colston is a medical mess and who knows when he'll be useful.

Ingram was a workhorse in college and is built to be a workhorse in the NFL.

NO moved up in the 1st to grab Ingram....cannot be forgotten.

The year NO won the SB (2009)they had 468 carries, 2nd most during the Payton era. Brees also passed that year the least in the Payton era (514).

Maybe I'm connecting the dots too much here but all signs point to an attempt at a stronger running game again with the Ingram pick. Based on what the past tells me about Thomas and Sproles, and what the present tells me about Ivory, plus the success Payton has had when the offense is more balanced, all signs point to over 200 carries and a ton of potential for Ingram THIS year.

My prediction: Thomas will get nicked up sometime in preseason reminding FFL owners that he can't stay healthy. Ingram will then complete his rocket like ascent up draft lists. Ultimately there's no reason he won't go even higher than Matthews went last year. He was better in college and is on an equally elite offense. If he stays healthy I think Ingram puts up Top 10 RB numbers... even IF Thomas stays healthy.

Remember how awesome Pierre Thomas was for that brief stint? Ingram is a MUCH better back.

Sproles will take the Bush role. Thomas was very productiive wenwith Bush around. Ingram should fill that role now.

Also remember that Thomas was in the dog house quite a bit over the last two seasons.

Pierre Thomas was very pedestrian even when healthy last year. IMO he's not a threat to Ingram other than periodic spells.

Pierre Thomas was very pedestrian even when healthy last year. IMO he's not a threat to Ingram other than periodic spells.

Agree and disagree, in order for Ingram to be a top 15 back he needs Pierre Thomas to be hurt early and often. If by fluke Thomas stays healthy.....ummmmm.... you just wasted a draft pick on Ingram.

I believe Ingram is better than Thomas and would put up better fantasy numbers if given the chance, but, the NFL usually doesn't work that way and Pierre Thomas will have to fail first(whether by injury or perfomance), then Ingram will get his shot.

Agree and disagree, in order for Ingram to be a top 15 back he needs Pierre Thomas to be hurt early and often. If by fluke Thomas stays healthy.....ummmmm.... you just wasted a draft pick on Ingram.

I believe Ingram is better than Thomas and would put up better fantasy numbers if given the chance, but, the NFL usually doesn't work that way and Pierre Thomas will have to fail first(whether by injury or perfomance), then Ingram will get his shot.

I don't buy this. The saints have seen what Thomas has got. They didn't spend two high picks to get insurance for him. They spent it to replace him.