Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Worst recent FA signing in MLB? Can anyone top Carl Crawford?

My issue with your Crawford take is that he had a bad year and given his age and his past, it can be considered an aberration. I rarely take money into account because it's all ridiculous. Revisit it in 2 seasons. Dunn was a greater risk because he was switching leagues (positions) and quite frankly it was obvious this off-season that his interest in money far outweighed his desire to play baseball. There is also no way that anyone is going to accept "most" of Dunn's contract.

if it was any other team than the Red Sox or Yankees I would agree with you.

However, those 2 teams can afford to eat 50% or more of a guys salary to ship him out out town.

You think Lackey will ever pitch for the Red Sox again? he has 3 years left at 50 million remaining? No chance he ever pitches for the Red Sox again.

Crawford and Lackey just had 2 of the worst seasons (lackey's being the worst ever) put together by a pitcher/hitter for the Red Sox.

I don't see how the Red Sox can have Crawford back, hitting .250 with an OBP of .299. But they may have no choice strictly because of the size of the contract, which would not be an issue if they had Dunn

Crawford could always bounce back, but thr sox are stuck with that contract. The white sox have some flexibility because it is possible for someone who needs a bat to take some of the contract.

Crawford could always bounce back, but thr sox are stuck with that contract. The white sox have some flexibility because it is possible for someone who needs a bat to take some of the contract.

He has no choice but to bounce back, or next year is going to he hell for him playing in Boston.

Which is why I don't think Slackey can ever pitch here again.

He has no choice but to bounce back, or next year is going to he hell for him playing in Boston.

Which is why I don't think Slackey can ever pitch here again.

Too bad you couldn't unload lackey on the nationals for some decent prospects, they need a veteran in that rotation. Given the year he had, it's going to be tough. How about zambrano for lackey? Two overpriced pitchers for another?

No he's not a true #1 big time ace, but CJ Wilson is a FA end of the year. Wondering how much interest he will draw on the open market. He did win 16 games this year and his era was below 3.00 - pretty solid numbers considering he pitches in this park.

Too bad you couldn't unload lackey on the nationals for some decent prospects, they need a veteran in that rotation. Given the year he had, it's going to be tough. How about zambrano for lackey? Two overpriced pitchers for another?

I'd do that trade.

Someone mentioned Lackey for Zito

No he's not a true #1 big time ace, but CJ Wilson is a FA end of the year. Wondering how much interest he will draw on the open market. He did win 16 games this year and his era was below 3.00 - pretty solid numbers considering he pitches in this park.

He'll draw a lot interest and get a huge contract from someone. I'd think the Rangers would make a big push to keep him.

He'll draw a lot interest and get a huge contract from someone. I'd think the Rangers would make a big push to keep him.

That's kind of what was afraid of. Wishing Nolan had moved to maybe get a deal done before the season ended. I'm sure CJ's agent was telling him to wait and see what materializes. Can't blame him for that - prolly going to be the last huge payday of his career.

That's kind of what was afraid of. Wishing Nolan had moved to maybe get a deal done before the season ended. I'm sure CJ's agent was telling him to wait and see what materializes. Can't blame him for that - prolly going to be the last huge payday of his career.

I would like to see the Nationals go hard after him... With Strasberg and Zimmermann, that would be three top starters...

I've been quietly thinking about CJ all summer. I'm always reluctant to sign ANY pitcher to a long-term deal for huge money, but right now I'm thinking we need/want him back, something in the range of 5/$105M-6/$115M. He give us everything that the Park/Millwood/Padilla signings did not: in great condition, prepares like a demon, has a broad and versatile repertoire. He's a young 30 in my eyes, without a ton of mileage or innings. The jury is still out on whether he wants to be here, or if he really wants to return to the surf. I would push hard to make it happen.

I didn't say Dunn didn't have the worst year.. fock, he might not even be able to play single A ball.

I would trade Crawford straight up for Dunn, right now today. As would any intelligent fan. Crawford has 6 years left at 20 million, Dunn has 3 left at 14 million.

I'll take dunn everyday and twice on sunday. The red sox could easily trade away Dunn and most of his contract, they are stuck with crawford for a couple more years.

Crawford had an OBP less than .300 :lol: that is the red sox #1 thing they look for in a hitter. JD Drew anyone?

I should be GM of the red sox. :cheers:

I should be GM of the red sox. :cheers:

As a White Sox, I'm glad you're not. :cheers:

Also thanks for Youkilis

As a White Sox, I'm glad you're not. :cheers:

Also thanks for Youkilis

Happily. My only problem with that is they paid 5.5 of his salary as well :rolleyes:

Please take Beckett too.

The answer to the original OP is clearly a NO.

Not even 2 years into a 7 year deal, Crawfish has been put out to pasture.

:thumbsup:

Anything these luser's sign for is too much.......