Sign in to follow this  
Jamy_Z

Beanie vs Timmy Hightower

I had Tim Hightower on the top of my queue in Yahoo! and ended up taking too long researching in another tab... I wanted to take Beanie, but ended up with Hightower instead. I hope someone here thinks that Hightower has a chance to out produce Beanie.

Anyone make the same choice? Anyone see this choice made in their draft? Would anyone do the same thing? Ahh :wall:

I don't know why Hightower is getting so much love.

He's nothing special. Doesn't have top speed.

Doesn't have superb quickness.

Really...

Go with the guy who doesn't fumble....draw straws.

PPR - I think there is a great chance Hightower outproduces Wells (commitment to run, passing game usage). Non-PPR - I think they are pretty close to the same, as I had them on the Big Board.

Side note - I was shocked when Beanie went at 3.2 last night in my biggest PPR money league draft. I think that is about 1-2 full rounds higher than he should go. Even if you say he will stay healthy all season long - something Hightower has done and Wells hasn't - Wells isn't all that great in the passing game. I think, at worst, Hightower can repeat his 2009 PPR numbers when he scored over 200 points (12.9/game). He's going to be the GL and third-down back (who is going to challenge him there?), so it's really a matter of how many of the early-down carries he will keep throughout the season. I love his potential as a flex, that is for sure.

You should be dancing the Snoopy dance. Beanie will be a RB3/Flex type player all year. Hightower had 25 carries in preseason against the PIT, BAL, and IND Ds--about a game's worth of work against quality starters--and he had 170 yards and 2 TDs.

I got B. Wells in the seventh round as my rb3, I'm thinking of starting him over F. Jones in week one. The first week is really hard to predict and i'm sure there will be many surprises just like previous year.

I like how everyone forgets that Hightower plays for Shannahan.

At least from my perspective, playing for Shanny is the reason I'm not any higher on Hightower than I already am. And I've long had a belief that Shanny doesn't want to rotate backs. (Really, how many playoff games has the guy won since he started doing that?) Now, we have a very solid passing-game RB who also happens to be the best actual RB on the roster. Will he give up some carries? I'm sure he will. But how long are we going to bet Torain and Helu will hold up? Torain has no track record of durability and Helu isn't the most durable player either. I'm setting the bar for Hightower at 50% of the carries and about 75% of the receptions in the Redskins' backfield. Last year, that would have been 155 carries and 65 catches. Since the defense should be better this season, I expect more carries and less catches. But still, in the Shanny's system, that should mean 700-800 yards rushing and maybe 300-400 yards as a receiver. Is Wells going for 1,000-1,200 total yards and catch 50 balls? Can he even stay healthy that long?

I had Foster pegged as a RB1 back last year. Hightower has a similar situation ahead of him, albeit with less talent. Hightower could have a HUGE season or something closer to what he did in 2009. I don't think he's going to repeat 2010.

At least from my perspective, playing for Shanny is the reason I'm not any higher on Hightower than I already am. And I've long had a belief that Shanny doesn't want to rotate backs. (Really, how many playoff games has the guy won since he started doing that?) Now, we have a very solid passing-game RB who also happens to be the best actual RB on the roster. Will he give up some carries? I'm sure he will. But how long are we going to bet Torain and Helu will hold up? Torain has no track record of durability and Helu isn't the most durable player either. I'm setting the bar for Hightower at 50% of the carries and about 75% of the receptions in the Redskins' backfield. Last year, that would have been 155 carries and 65 catches. Since the defense should be better this season, I expect more carries and less catches. But still, in the Shanny's system, that should mean 700-800 yards rushing and maybe 300-400 yards as a receiver. Is Wells going for 1,000-1,200 total yards and catch 50 balls? Can he even stay healthy that long?

I had Foster pegged as a RB1 back last year. Hightower has a similar situation ahead of him, albeit with less talent. Hightower could have a HUGE season or something closer to what he did in 2009. I don't think he's going to repeat 2010.

This is an excellent post. First of all, as an old school Raider fan, I remember it just like yesterday when Denver backs such as Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, and yes... Terrell Davis would run the ball down our throats. I'm a believer in the theory that Shananigan will ride a workhorse RB if he can rely on him. He just hasn't had that guy. Remember, The Kubiak was cut from the same cloth and look at last season with Foster.

Hightower has a similar situation ahead of him, albeit with less talent.

Respectfully, I disagree. I think the Redskin O-line is playing lights out right now, and you can directly attribute Hightower's pre-season numbers to that opinion. This group has been on the field together for almost EVERY snap since training camp opened and it shows. All Hightower has to do is run hard, follow his blockers, hit the hole, and not fumble. He's doing a pretty good job. He's got a pretty good injury record in his limited work in the desert. I mean, there's big upside here provided he doesn't fumble and end up back in The Rat's doghouse.

This is an excellent post. First of all, as an old school Raider fan, I remember it just like yesterday when Denver backs such as Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, and yes... Terrell Davis would run the ball down our throats. I'm a believer in the theory that Shananigan will ride a workhorse RB if he can rely on him. He just hasn't had that guy. Remember, The Kubiak was cut from the same cloth and look at last season with Foster.

Hightower has a similar situation ahead of him, albeit with less talent.

Respectfully, I disagree. I think the Redskin O-line is playing lights out right now, and you can directly attribute Hightower's pre-season numbers to that opinion. This group has been on the field together for almost EVERY snap since training camp opened and it shows. All Hightower has to do is run hard, follow his blockers, hit the hole, and not fumble. He's doing a pretty good job. He's got a pretty good injury record in his limited work in the desert. I mean, there's big upside here provided he doesn't fumble and end up back in The Rat's doghouse.

When I said less talent, I meant individual talent. Houston's o-line is better than Washington's, but the 'Skins' line is playing well like you said. Hightower also does not have AJ, Daniels or Schaub.

Well looks like the geeks dont seem so down on my pick. Nice... Just did another draft tonight. Beanie went a full 2 rounds before Tim. Looks like the guys I play with aren't as optimistic as you guys are about Hightower. Either way... Thanks for the vote of confidence on Tim.

The only things that does scare me about this guy, and a few of you have mentioned it, is obviously Shanahan and his annoying running back habits. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

Meh.

Usually, if a rookie RB translates well to a consistant player in the NFL, that happens the first year. See: Chris Johnson.

On the other side of the coin, ask people who drafted Ryan Mathews, or CJ Spiller last year in the first round, how that worked out for them.

Both of these backs had an opportunity to shine in Arizona .... and neither did. Was that the backs? The system? It's hard to be excited about either one of them.

Meh.

Usually, if a rookie RB translates well to a consistant player in the NFL, that happens the first year. See: Chris Johnson.

Ask Run DMC...he might think otherwise of your quote...it doesn't always happen in the first year...seriously? It can happen that fast if you have a future hall of fame back, i.e. Chris Johnson.

Ask Run DMC...he might think otherwise of your quote...it doesn't always happen in the first year...seriously? It can happen that fast if you have a future hall of fame back, i.e. Chris Johnson.

Run DMC showed flashes last year. Not like CJ2K did as a rookie .... but flashes of OMFG type talent. I'm very high on him this year.

Meh.

On the other side of the coin, ask people who drafted Ryan Mathews, or CJ Spiller last year in the first round, how that worked out for them.

Both of these backs had an opportunity to shine in Arizona .... and neither did. Was that the backs? The system? It's hard to be excited about either one of them.

It really is more the system. Even last year with the worst QB's in the league for some unexplainable reason Whisenhunt still wouldn't increase the carries even when we were getting 5 yards a carry, he really is a pass happy coach. Having watched every snap for both players I will with confidence say that when Beanie is healthy he is easily the better back. His rookie season he really looked like a stud, whereas last season he looked terrible. So far in the preaseason he looks much closer to his rookie year, and this time he will get the majority of the carries. I expect Beanie to get many more catches this year, unlike our previous qb's Kolb actually likes the screen and can execute it, and Beanie really has no problem catching despite what most people think.

Run blocking, our offensive line actually is looking fairly good - its our tackles pass protection that sucks that in turn gives our line a bad name.

I'm sure Hightower will do well also, I wouldn't be surprised if they finish nearly equal, as he will probably get plenty of opportunity. I would prefer Beanie myself but both have risks, Beanie - injuries, lack of carries if passing game sputters, hightower - Shanahan, fumbling getting him benched

With all that said - I am really pissed Ryan Williams got hurt, he looked amazing and I am praying he can recover fully for next year.

It's funny because recently Hightower's ADP slightly nudged out Beanie's. On one hand you have an extremely durable back who doesn't exactly excel at anything aside from pass catching. On the other you have an absolute stud (he really is) who has been plagued by injuries. It's a classic case of high-risk/reward. If Beanie pans out this year in his first lead role, he will be an absolute monster and out produce Hightower; he simply just has a higher ceiling. Personally, I'm expecting them both to excel in their situations. I'll leave you all with this..

..fast forward to about 48 seconds and prepare to be entertained.

It's funny because recently Hightower's ADP slightly nudged out Beanie's. On one hand you have an extremely durable back who doesn't exactly excel at anything aside from pass catching. On the other you have an absolute stud (he really is) who has been plagued by injuries. It's a classic case of high-risk/reward. If Beanie pans out this year in his first lead role, he will be an absolute monster and out produce Hightower; he simply just has a higher ceiling. Personally, I'm expecting them both to excel in their situations. I'll leave you all with this..

..fast forward to about 48 seconds and prepare to be entertained.

This video makes me feel great about picking Hightower ha ha...

annnnd a dancing banana... :banana:

Good thing his stiff arm is so good becuase it doesn't look like he can outrun anybody

Good thing his stiff arm is so good becuase it doesn't look like he can outrun anybody

and they were all college highlights.

So... sweet youtube vids and ADP chat aside, who would u guys start week 1 in the event that you own both guys (like I do in one league)?

So... sweet youtube vids and ADP chat aside, who would u guys start week 1 in the event that you own both guys (like I do in one league)?

Both have great match-ups. CAR can't stop the run and NYG has been decimated by injuries. I'd start both assuming your #2 doesn't carry much upside into this week.

This is like trying to decide who to take home from the bar at 2am between two fat chicks .... you're going to wake up with regret and throw up regardless.

Well I dont want to sleep with either. One of the two is bound to have a productive fantasy game. It's not like either is going up against the Jets or the Steelers...

This is like trying to decide who to take home from the bar at 2am between two fat chicks .... you're going to wake up with regret and throw up regardless.

The majority of major FF sites have both Hightower and Wells ranked rather high this week due to their matchups and quite frankly I agree. On this site, they are ranked 6th and 8th respectively. Instead of two fat chicks I think were dealing with premium tail here..and possibly a menage a trois..