Sign in to follow this  
jocstrap

Who is starting Cam Newton this week?

Who's pulling the trigger, and what QB are you sitting?

For the record, I don't have the guy in one league. I was just wondering if anybody had the sack to do it week #2.

The real question is, how many people picked him up off of the waiver wire this week and are starting him? 10% of fantasy football leagues drafted this guy at best.

Well...i lost Peyton Manning and Sam Bradford didn't do jack.

I then picked up Cam Newton over Grossman.

Not sure what i will do this week.

I ignored the hype and picked up Fitzpatrick. Strongly considering starting him over Freeman this week.

Cam had a great debut, and I think he could be a very good quarterback but I think he'll be peaks and valleys all year.

I picked him up to replace Eli Manning and Sam Bradford behind Kevin Kolb in three leagues. He did look good, but he'll have to look good against the likes of Green Bay this week before I start him over Kolb. Kolb, incidentally, faces Washington and Seattle the next two weeks, so I'm in no hurry--but if Newton does turn out to be Vick 2.0...Zoo-Wee-Mama!

I picked him up in 3 leagues out of 4. I have Stafford in 2 so he won't start there. The one I have Eli in he may get some starts. I snagged Henne too why not?

I picked him up to back up Stafford and Ryan. Even if he blows up again I would probably look to trade him instead of hitching my wagon to him

I ignored the hype and picked up Fitzpatrick. Strongly considering starting him over Freeman this week.

Cam had a great debut, and I think he could be a very good quarterback but I think he'll be peaks and valleys all year.

Same. I actually cut him prior to Sunday since I needed the space to patch a number of WR injuries I suffered, and while I'm sorry that he's no longer on my team, I'm not that disappointed in the loss. It's week one, y'all. Cam plays in a tough conference, teams will look to lock down Steve Smith, and I see him struggling from here on out. He has ability, sure, and I think he'll be fine, but he won't be FF Jesus as he was in week one, certainly not against the Packers this week. Fitzgerald, Henne, and Grossman are all better, likely available starts.

Same. I actually cut him prior to Sunday since I needed the space to patch a number of WR injuries I suffered, and while I'm sorry that he's no longer on my team, I'm not that disappointed in the loss. It's week one, y'all. Cam plays in a tough conference, teams will look to lock down Steve Smith, and I see him struggling from here on out. He has ability, sure, and I think he'll be fine, but he won't be FF Jesus as he was in week one, certainly not against the Packers this week. Fitzgerald, Henne, and Grossman are all better, likely available starts.

Really? It's not 2010, it's 2011 and all 4 teams in the conference got beat up pretty good last Sunday. Cam would be screwed if he played in the NFC North. Looks to me like NFC South defenses are pretty soft. I don't see why Newton couldn't have a great year playing within his division.

I picked him up, starting Matt Ryan this week. I will give Newt time to grow, and he does have some pretty good match ups on his schedule. If nothing else, he will make good trade bait if he developes.

All I know is this:

I had Newton in college fantasy last year. The kid played the best SEC teams (possibly with better defenses than Arizona, or at least as expensive) and shredded them. So yeah, that was college and last year. Got you. But he comes out and sets NFL records in his first start. Yeah, bad defense, but it is still an NFL defense.

The guy will struggle against Green Bay, not much doubt about it. But in some leagues only 2 or 3 studs are left on the waiver wire when the season starts. Blount was a semi-stud left out there last year in our league. Lloyd was drafted. Newton WILL BE a stud some time or another. Question is now or later.

Won the Tuesday morning race to the WW and picked him up - mostly to keep anyone else from picking him up and because I had an open spot on the roster.

I'm not starting him until I see what he does against The Pack. If he doesn't crap the bed, he makes a good opportunity play when paired with my QB1's schedule. If he repeats his Week 1 performance, I may have myself a new QB1. Which will all but guarantee he craps the bed in Week 3.

All I know is this:

I had Newton in college fantasy last year. The kid played the best SEC teams (possibly with better defenses than Arizona, or at least as expensive) and shredded them. So yeah, that was college and last year. Got you. But he comes out and sets NFL records in his first start. Yeah, bad defense, but it is still an NFL defense.

The guy will struggle against Green Bay, not much doubt about it. But in some leagues only 2 or 3 studs are left on the waiver wire when the season starts. Blount was a semi-stud left out there last year in our league. Lloyd was drafted. Newton WILL BE a stud some time or another. Question is now or later.

SEC is college football. Jamarcus Russell shredded SEC teams too. How many of the current top QB's in the NFL played in the SEC?

SEC is college football. Jamarcus Russell shredded SEC teams too. How many of the current top QB's in the NFL played in the SEC?

Obviously that was college football. And believe me, Jamarcus Russell could not hold Cam Newton's jock in college. Newton was dominate game in, game out. Russell was outstanding; Newton was unstoppable! But you're right, proves nothing. And aren't we all mature enough in football to know that Newton is not going to throw for 422 every game? No, he will struggle against the Pack and people will jump from the ship like rats. But in time, Newton will be a top 5 fantasy QB. Again, when that time begins is the question.

Oh, and you are correct, the SEC is a run first league, but you might have heard of one SEC Quarterback. He's backing up Kerry Collins right now.

He did very well against a terrible Cardinals defense. Green Bay is going to be a different story. He'll look like a rookie on Sunday.

Now, he does have Jacksonville in Week 3, which isn't a bad matchup. After he puts up a dud on Sunday and everyone who picked him up this week drops him again, I may take a flier on him for next week. But not this Sunday.

Oh, and you are correct, the SEC is a run first league, but you might have heard of one SEC Quarterback. He's backing up Kerry Collins right now.

Curtis Painter went to Purdue.

Curtis Painter went to Purdue.

Expected such a reply.

Actually a valid point as far as SEC QB's go. Namath, Stabler, and Manning have been outstanding. But Tebow still has much to prove and Jamarcus was a huge bust. Then you have your Spurriers, etc. Cam is different. The kid has more tools than any of them. But we'll see. I hope he does well, but so much can derail you in the NFL. I guess we'll see.

As I get to thinking, there are a few more SEC QB's around: Eli, Stafford, and Jay Cutler are three. Mississipi, Georgia and Vandy.

Edit: Jason Campbell went to Auburn as well. Not a "top" QB however.

GreenBay will eat his rookie mind up this week. The Cardinals defense looked like they had been paid off, on most of the catches the fans in the stands where the closest to the WR. I think he will be good someday but not in this game.

I drafted Payton in a 14 player league. Picked up Cam Newton and started him Week 1. The only other option I have for week 2 is Tavaris Jackson. :/

I'm in the same boat. Kept Peyton from last year and one of my last picks was Newton. Grabbed Hasselback from the wire when Manning went out, but Newton vs GB is a slightly better play than Hasselback vs Baltimore.

GreenBay will eat his rookie mind up this week. The Cardinals defense looked like they had been paid off, on most of the catches the fans in the stands where the closest to the WR. I think he will be good someday but not in this game.

Cardinals D wasnt that bad last year. I think they decided to stack up against the run and forced Carolina to throw. They figured the rook would make mistakes. THEY WERE WRONG!!! Newton was STRAIGHT BEASTIN ON THEM NINJAS!!

As I get to thinking, there are a few more SEC QB's around: Eli, Stafford, and Jay Cutler are three. Mississipi, Georgia and Vandy.

Edit: Jason Campbell went to Auburn as well. Not a "top" QB however.

Rex Grossman - Florida

Really? It's not 2010, it's 2011 and all 4 teams in the conference got beat up pretty good last Sunday. Cam would be screwed if he played in the NFC North. Looks to me like NFC South defenses are pretty soft. I don't see why Newton couldn't have a great year playing within his division.

Really? You're dismissing the past couple of years and off season additions over a single game, the first game in a new season following the lock out mess? Good luck with that.

Do it without looking back!

I know packer jobbers with cry in their turpentine when its said but any team that can somewhat neutralize Matthews can have success throwing against them.

I had Peyton so I picked up Cam this week. I got Orton as well but he's unstable. Cam is obviously capable of a big game. I say he's worth a shot.

I am starting him over Josh Freeman vs Minnesota... four reasons i am doing this

1. I have Josh Freeman vs Minnesota... and honestly that doesn't excite me..it really isn't that much better of a match-up... he was boring to watch last week.. and I feel like Cam Newton has a lot more weapons on offense than Freeman does

2. I am going to the Panthers vs. Packers game so needless to say, that makes it exciting.. and he was so much fun to watch last week

3. I drafted him with confidence unlike many in the 13th round in both of my drafts... I thought about starting him last week, and i decided to take the safe approach and it cost me 20 points...and the idea of starting him vs Green Bay is "ballzy" I know this.. and I want to see what this guy is made of this week... if he does well this week.. not only will everyone be talking about him, but he will be a must-start over a lot of QB's in the league in FF because of his ability to run.. so why not find out now when i have mediocre Josh Freeman

4. The rest of my team has great match-ups and i feel like i can afford a dud from Cam Newton... plus I know regardless of how well he passes the ball he is going to run when he is under pressure.. and I have a feeling that he will break off a big run while i am at the stadium watching

not to mention he just said this on ESPN... and I think he is handling the pressure of this game very well... Cam said "he's goes into each game being coachable, and he knows that the great players show up when their team needs them"

so why not?!?!

Plus this is pretty interesting...

Newton completed nine of 13 attempts for a league-high 279 yards and 2 touchdowns on passes thrown 15 yards or more downfield Sunday. The nine completions were the second-most in the NFL in Week 1 (Drew Brees, 10) and the Packers have allowed the third-most completions 15 yards or more downfield since 2008.

Per ESPN

Jeff Otah is out for this weekend's game against Green Bay. Those nice clean pockets for Cam might not be there this Sunday.

I picked him up this week in a heartbeat.

I drafted Peyton, so obviously I'm hurting at QB.

That being said, I drafted Stafford as my QB2 so until further notice, Cam will be riding my pine. I dropped Orton for Newton and I don't have any qualms about that move, but unless he throws a few more huge games together, I don't think I could reasonably start him over Stafford.

Either way, he's got a really nice upside with those rushing TDs and even if Stafford kills it and I don't need him, it's nice to at least not let somebody else take him.

I feel much more apprehensive about dropping Sidney Rice for Aaron Hernandez than I did in dropping Orton for Newton.

I see his downside as Vince Young and his upside as a poor man's Mike Vick