Sign in to follow this  
Agame

HELP! I Need as many opinions to this as possble!

Currently, my league is in the middle of the biggest Fantasy Football controversy ever! So big, people are threatening to drop out if something "fair" isn't done. Here's the issue:

In our league bonus pts are given to QB's for going over 300 and 400 yards passing. (If you go over 300yds, you're awarded 5pts. The same with going over 400yds) However, it was recently discovered that ESPN, (our league is ESPN) is NOT awarding the 5 points for going over 400. They are simply carrying over the first points from the 300yds passing. In other words, instead of having 10pts (5pts for 300+ and another 5 for 400+) players are only ending up with 5pts.

What makes this bad is that it has been going on since week 1 AND not only has it affected QB's but also WRs. Last week Welker had over 200yds rec and SHOULD have gotten 5pts for going over 100yds and an additional 5tps for going over 200yds.

We checked with ESPN and according to them, our league settings are the problem. So if you go by that (ESPN) all is correct. But suddenly the rules to our league have a gray area because this the first time anyone picked up on the scoring system being messed up. So you have the rules that state one thing and the site which dictates another.

People are blaming the commissar and saying you CAN NOT make a rule or adjustment change in the middle of the season. Whats in place is in place. What do you think?

Ugly situation - very simple answer. Adjust the scores for this week and this week only. Owners should know the rules. Say in week 1 an owner lost by 2 points, but was supposed to get more points - well that's on the owner to point out then, not weeks later. One of my leagues has a rule that if a mistake in scoring is made we have until Saturday to bring it up - after that it's done. I suggest the same.

Id say if you all agreed to it and if it cant be fixed by the commissioner or through ESPN...then play with it as is this year...and bring it up at the draft next year.

So for the most part id say no changes until next year.

In our league bonus pts are given to QB's for going over 300 and 400 yards passing. ...Last week Welker had over 200yds rec and SHOULD have gotten 5pts for going over 100yds and an additional 5tps for going over 200yds.

Your rules dictate points, winners, and losers, not site settings. The commish should be able to manually adjust scores and records and should do so per your scoring rules.

End of line...

Ugly situation - very simple answer. Adjust the scores for this week and this week only. Owners should know the rules. Say in week 1 an owner lost by 2 points, but was supposed to get more points - well that's on the owner to point out then, not weeks later. One of my leagues has a rule that if a mistake in scoring is made we have until Saturday to bring it up - after that it's done. I suggest the same.

This is the answer I agree with. It is the responsibility of ALL owners to make sure their scores are correct. Sites can make errors too (although this sounds like the settings weren't entered correctly). If my matchup is close for the week, I make sure I do my only calculation of the scores. Change the scores this week and going forward. I would NOT retroactively change anything though, as this had waiver wire effects and everything else.

I caught this in our ESPN league a couple years ago. So we give out 3 pts for a 300 yard game and 6 for the 400 yard game knowing you wont get the 3 and 6 just the 6.

We played out the season and changed it the following year.

People are blaming the commissar and saying you CAN NOT make a rule or adjustment change in the middle of the season. Whats in place is in place. What do you think?

Don't join communist leagues is really the only answer here, right? :wave:

Currently, my league is in the middle of the biggest Fantasy Football controversy ever! So big, people are threatening to drop out if something "fair" isn't done. Here's the issue:

In our league bonus pts are given to QB's for going over 300 and 400 yards passing. (If you go over 300yds, you're awarded 5pts. The same with going over 400yds) However, it was recently discovered that ESPN, (our league is ESPN) is NOT awarding the 5 points for going over 400. They are simply carrying over the first points from the 300yds passing. In other words, instead of having 10pts (5pts for 300+ and another 5 for 400+) players are only ending up with 5pts.

What makes this bad is that it has been going on since week 1 AND not only has it affected QB's but also WRs. Last week Welker had over 200yds rec and SHOULD have gotten 5pts for going over 100yds and an additional 5tps for going over 200yds.

We checked with ESPN and according to them, our league settings are the problem. So if you go by that (ESPN) all is correct. But suddenly the rules to our league have a gray area because this the first time anyone picked up on the scoring system being messed up. So you have the rules that state one thing and the site which dictates another.

I had the same thing happen in my league regarding defensive scoring. It was a much more minor error, regarding defensive scoring. However my rules were crystal clear on the intent. So all games were retroactively rescored correctly. I really didn't see any other option than to correct the scoring error in all prior weeks as those are clearly the rules. If your league has a separate written constitution that outlines the scoring I don't see why all scores shouldn't be corrected.

If you all agreed to how points are awarded prior to game 1, then the points need to be manually adjusted by the commish. All the weeks need to be adjusted.

ButtMonkey is correct - you only change the current weeks results. Each owner had an opportunity to challenge the results by the Saturday following the games - furthermore, those that argue not to change anything are incorrect. You are not changing, you are fixing an error and getting it correct to your league specifications. Each owner should have had access to the written rules for scoring - I know on CBS you can view them at any time. It is unfortunate, but many teams do not look at or know league scoring rules when they are available. Congratulations to the team that knew the scoring rules and got it fixed when it affected his/her score.

"So you have the rules that state one thing "

If you had rules clearly stating this prior to the season, correct the scoring for all weeks. As it would not have affected who anyone started, espn is currently showing scores that shouldn't be what they are.

I think you have to go back and adjust all the scores from Week 1 till now. You all agreed on a scoring system in the preseason and it is right the players want the commish to live up to that agreement. Although does the website even allow commissioners to change the weekly point totals?

I dont think the honus of calculating your teams points should be on the players thats part of picking a website and paying them a fee to run your league. If it's a free league with no fee's associated with the website then your just plum out of luck and should invest a little more money and find a decent website in the future.

Does the NFL ever go back and retroactively change results going back to the beginning of the season? NO

Do you want fantasy football to mirror the NFL and make it like you are running your own team? YES

Does one week after your game seem like a reasonable time to challenge the result in your game? YES

Would you be angry if you were 2-2 and the commissioner changed your week 1 result in week 4 and now you are 1-3? YES

Lets say it is week 14 and you made the money and playoffs, but were told in week 2 you were actually beat by 3 points and not in playoffs - happy?

Waiver orders, trades, etc. are often based on record, points, etc. Now lets say you had Tom Brady or Cam Newton and you should have had five more points which affected a win/loss or more points. This could have affected your waiver order and the Brady owner already got the player wanted, when in fact it should have been the next team which now has less points. That is why after one week the results stand, period, end of story. I am sorry, but most teams are selfish and want the results to be what best serves their team, not what is right. Lets say this spotted in week 15, who is responsible for going back and determining how this affected entire season - lets be realistic here. Simply adjust this weeks points and correct the scoring system moving forward.

Everyone agreed to the scoring going into week 1 and the site messed up the scoring since week 1. You should adjust the scores. The points not rewarded could come into play later in the season if 2 teams have the same record. I really don't see this as that big of a deal. If some guy complains because he loses a win just remind him that the site messed the scoring up and he really never would have won in the first place. It is up to you if you want to call him a wuss bag or not.

What other alternative is there? It would help to go back and see how many games really were affected. But, I think my point above about total points still stands. If you don't go back and adjust ALL scores then at the end of the year you might run into an issue dealing with total points. Just nip it in the bud now. Stick with the scoring rules that everyone agreed on at the beginning of the season. Good luck.

Does the NFL ever go back and retroactively change results going back to the beginning of the season? NO

Do you want fantasy football to mirror the NFL and make it like you are running your own team? YES

Does one week after your game seem like a reasonable time to challenge the result in your game? YES

Would you be angry if you were 2-2 and the commissioner changed your week 1 result in week 4 and now you are 1-3? YES

Lets say it is week 14 and you made the money and playoffs, but were told in week 2 you were actually beat by 3 points and not in playoffs - happy?

Waiver orders, trades, etc. are often based on record, points, etc. Now lets say you had Tom Brady or Cam Newton and you should have had five more points which affected a win/loss or more points. This could have affected your waiver order and the Brady owner already got the player wanted, when in fact it should have been the next team which now has less points. That is why after one week the results stand, period, end of story. I am sorry, but most teams are selfish and want the results to be what best serves their team, not what is right. Lets say this spotted in week 15, who is responsible for going back and determining how this affected entire season - lets be realistic here. Simply adjust this weeks points and correct the scoring system moving forward.

+1

Only current week. WAY too many variables going back to Week 1, per poster above.

Personally, I never understood the whole "bonus" thing ... why give a player a ton more points when he already probably has enough to kick their opponents ass (with 400yds or whatever) as it is? Just seems excessive, but maybe my thinking is flawed ...

Your rules dictate points, winners, and losers, not site settings. The commish should be able to manually adjust scores and records and should do so per your scoring rules.

End of line...

Couldn't be clearer. Rules agreed to at onset outweigh any site settings.

If you all agreed to how points are awarded prior to game 1, then the points need to be manually adjusted by the commish. All the weeks need to be adjusted.

Agreed. To change a single week's scores makes no sense. Either a correction needs to be made or it doesn't. You can't claim that a correction needs to be partially applied. I'm assuming that everyone agreed to the bonus scoring format before the season started. If that's the case, you need to go back and adjust each week.

Presumably, there's never been a week in the NFL in which touchdowns were counted at 5 points.

Trust me, as a Pats fan, I'd love to see the NFL adopt PPR for Welker and yardage for Brady, but it's not happening anytime soon.

Technical error, all weeks should be corrected with proper scoring.

This isn't college football where a ref can fix a game without it being corrected. (Toledo vs Syracuse)

Does the NFL ever give 10 points for touchdowns as opposed to 10? NO

Guess this has ###### to do with his situation then doesn't it.

Let's say its week 9 and your league is setup for Kickers 0-29 yards = 3pts, 30-39 = 4pts, 40-49 = 5pts, 50plus = 6pts

However, the site is awarding 4,5,6 and 7points respectively (1 point extra for each category)

Are you telling me you would have someone go back and manually check all field goal distances for each kicker, readd points for each team and recalculate to the beginning of the year. Let's get serious here - that would be a full time job.

Correct the results for the week it was discovered and move on.

Well if the commissar is in town I would definitely recommend you refrain from turning around.

Let's say its week 9 and your league is setup for Kickers 0-29 yards = 3pts, 30-39 = 4pts, 40-49 = 5pts, 50plus = 6pts

However, the site is awarding 4,5,6 and 7points respectively (1 point extra for each category)

Are you telling me you would have someone go back and manually check all field goal distances for each kicker, readd points for each team and recalculate to the beginning of the year. Let's get serious here - that would be a full time job.

Correct the results for the week it was discovered and move on.

It's like you are failing to see the real situation happened only 4 weeks in and it isn't anywhere near as difficult to correct as you are making it out to be. Who cares if it would have or could have happened in week 9 or later? It didn't.

So all games were retroactively rescored correctly. I really didn't see any other option than to correct the scoring error in all prior weeks as those are clearly the rules. If your league has a separate written constitution that outlines the scoring I don't see why all scores shouldn't be corrected.

Someone said this earlier agree. You must go back and fix all of them. No other answer applies.

Fix it for this week, and going forward. Its owner's responsibility to verify their own scores, and object if there is a problem. They failed to monitor, and paid for it.

Another reason why you only fix the current week :

Scenario = your league pays out $100 to the team with high points each week

You won weeks 2 and 3 and went out an bought the new driver that you couldn't afford (bonus for winning those two weeks)

Commissioner calls/emails you at the end of week 4 and says site was not calculating the results correctly and you did not win. I need that $200 back to give to other teams.

You can't tell me you are going to say "No Problem", where can we meet so I can give that $200 back immediately.

Get Real Please!!!

YOU HAVE UNTIL NEXT WEEKS GAMES TO PROTEST THE SCORE/GAME. You are responsible for your own score.

Sometimes the NFL changes a stat by Tuesday morning which typically does not go into the Fantasy site's score - in order for it to get changed, the individual needs to communicate it to the commissioner to get the stat changed in the site. If this is not communicated before next weeks game, you are too late. Once next weeks games have begun, too late so sorry.

It's like you are failing to see the real situation happened only 4 weeks in and it isn't anywhere near as difficult to correct as you are making it out to be. Who cares if it would have or could have happened in week 9 or later? It didn't.

The point is you handle it in the same manner no matter when it occurs. You can't say because it is only week 4, we go back all the way to the beginning. Where do you draw the line to go back to the beginning of the season Week 5? Week 6? Week 7? Week 8? Week 9? That is why you take care of this week and going forward. You are consistent and fair, not to mention the fact that each team had an opportunity to challenge the scoring system in the weeks prior.

The point is you handle it in the same manner no matter when it occurs. You can't say because it is only week 4, we go back all the way to the beginning. Where do you draw the line to go back to the beginning of the season Week 5? Week 6? Week 7? Week 8? Week 9? That is why you take care of this week and going forward. You are consistent and fair, not to mention the fact that each team had an opportunity to challenge the scoring system in the weeks prior.

If his league has no rule about a time limit for challenging scores then how can a challenge be denied for the previous 3 weeks? Just because you think a week is reasonable? How is it consistent and fair to let a rules scoring error decide the wrong winners?

Anyways, we will not see eye to eye on this subject and I agree with some of your points.

The moral of this is to not get tricky with scoring. Why reward extra points to a guy that just threw for 400 yards? He is going to have a ton of points anyway. :overhead:

Well if the commissar is in town I would definitely recommend you refrain from turning around.

That would be "Der Kommissar."

But what if you were on a boat, and you sailed over the international date line, so that you were able to set your lineup retroactively based on the results of that week's game? And then what if the Easter bunny erased your lineup and started David Clowney at every position? Aha! But the league rules state clearly that only human fictional characters can modify lineups in even-numbered years, and don't specify the rules for roster modifications by non-human fictional characters in odd-numbered years. How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck got a 3 point bonus for every 100 pieces of wood chucked?

You all are overthinking this. Your league has scoring rules specifically stated. The site is just a tool for doing the accounting. If the accounting is flawed, you fix it, and score EVERY game according to your league's scoring rules. It shouldn't even be a discussion.

I would agree with most people in this thread and go with the poker rule.

If you didn't know you had the winning hand and you folded, you can't come back 3 hands later and be like "WAIT! 5 Hearts make a flush?! Give me that pot from that hand! I had a flush!"

Same goes with FF. If you don't know how many points your player should have gotten, you don't deserve to win that week.

The vote in your league should be if they want to implement this rule from this week on...not from week 1. This week (week 4), can still be changed imo,

Your commissioner should first of all thank God that it was caught this year at week 4 rather than week 13. How many seasons has your scoring not agreed with your rules?

As most have already stated, the most common-sense solution is to go back and retractively re-score the 1st 4 weeks to conform to league rules. This is assuming that going forward, the settings can be corrected to conform with league by-laws so that manual adjustments don't have to be made all year long. If this is what is agreed to, the commissioner should have someone from the league that most everyone else trusts help with this job.

Another alternative not proposed here is that (and you are never going to satisfy everyone) you could re-begin your season with present rosters starting with week 5.

It appears however that no outcome will likely satisfy everyone, so the commissioner should propose all alternatives and have the league vote on the best solution. Unfortunately, what one thinks is 'fair' in these types of situations probably depends on how the change affects one's particular team.

BTW doesn't ESPN allow the league to test its settings before the season starts to make sure they are interpreted to conform to the league rules? I know that MFL has this feature. At any rate, whoever is most vocally blaming the commissioner should be voted in as the new commissioner next year. It can be a thankless job, and the oversight was surely unintentional. I feel sorry for the poor guy.

This one is tough, I understand the pissed off teams. But, I agree with the few that say to change this weeks points and leave previous weeks alone. People hit waiver wires based on that weeks rankings and changed teams based on their record as well as others records. Once the following week starts and you did not check and protest the scores, your SOL IMO

Don't join communist leagues is really the only answer here, right? :wave:

Seems most believe:

1. Fix it for this week going forward,

B. Retroactively fix it

The rules were stated at the beginning of the year. Those that LOST due to the error should have caught it in one of those weeks... I know I would have! So I'd go with #1 and screw those that can't read a stat sheet and figure out their own points. All the other whiners can punch each other in the face for not crying about it pre-draft. And the Commissar owes everyone a case of beer and a peek at his wife's tatas...

jmho

It just does not make sense to me how you can justify only reseting this weeks scores. You all agreed to a set of rules at the draft/preaseason or whenever; you need to follow those rules. So you have to go back and rescore all the games.

You should abide by those rules or your just playing stupid lawyer tricks and semantics, uncool in FF amongst friends. :shocking: