Sign in to follow this  
abair058

Best Hurt?

It's the same thing with New Orleans. Doesn't matter who you drafted, Ingram, Sproles, Pierre Thomas .... you are not happy. Detroit is a passing team. After Best .... the drop off in talent makes his replacement(s) have little FF value. IMHO.

yeah i know what you mean. i own best and sproles. it's because i know they are backs that can catch out of the backfield. both of those guys have performed on par with mjd/frank gore. the list of productive backs so far this year is thin. ill take the combine 90 or so total yards and i would be content with that. i do agree though, after jahvid best, i wouldn't touch any lions running back. ill throw a waiver out there for MOMO for giggles

PPR is another story, for Sproles. Last year when I had him, it was not PPR but it was a return yardage league. He was still returning kicks last year. I love Sproles. He's amazingly talented, and durable, for his size.

Jury is still out on Best though. If you drafted him, unaware of the injury issues ... don't blame it on bad luck. You just didn't do your homework. He's been hurt a lot.

word is only cuncussion like symptoms, not an actual concussion. just needs to pass the league test for cuncussions to play. i think he could still go this week, detroit needs him on the field to make their offense work more than most people think.

word is only cuncussion like symptoms, not an actual concussion. just needs to pass the league test for cuncussions to play. i think he could still go this week, detroit needs him on the field to make their offense work more than most people think.

This is a few of these in a short time span, and they get worse exponentially with each one. I'd be concerned if I were Detroit.

word is only concussion like symptoms, not an actual concussion.

For Jhavid Best .... who sat out most of his rookie season because his vagina was hurt ... even though he could have won ROY ... there's no "only".

my season is pretty much close to lost anyways. im 3-3 as an owner who lost jcharles and kenny britt. now possibly best too. almost all running backs have injury history (dmac, sjax, fgore, ryan mathews, afoster, etc) the list goes on. You just have to gamble on them and see where it takes you. Aaron Rodgers has carried me so far. But i had to trade him and percy harvin for shady mccoy(another scat back that will prob get injured) and miles austin. In TIm Tebow i must trust now. lol

Wow; guy in my league totally jumped the gun on this and outright dropped him today to pick up Hardesty off waivers. :shocking:

I was trying to hang onto 49ers DEF to trade but since I had WW priority, I had to snag him. Hopefully nothing to the IR rumors. :fingerscrossed:

Wow; guy in my league totally jumped the gun on this and outright dropped him today to pick up Hardesty off waivers. :shocking:

I was trying to hang onto 49ers DEF to trade but since I had WW priority, I had to snag him. Hopefully nothing to the IR rumors. :fingerscrossed:

Your league has waivers, but he's been dropped and picked up already? How is that possible?

Detroit traded for Ronnie Brown. I think Best may be out for awhile.

i dont take it as a for sure indicator of that. they needed a between the tackles guy.

Reports are that he's not even ruled out for this week yet. Even if he doesn't play this week, hopefully that means that he won't be out for too long (for now).

I think Best's condition is worth a wait and see. I heard Philly also threw in a pick in the Harrison/Brown trade which has me wondering if LeSean McCoy is a little nicked up. The Lions have Morris, and Kieland Williams, and now Brown and I think it will be a Morris/Williams timeshare if Best does have to miss any time.

I can't figure out the deal with Jerome Harrison. He had a few monster games w. Kansas City a few years back and some nice stats when he subb'd for McCoy last year. Not quite sure why this guy is bouncing around all over the place.

I think Best's condition is worth a wait and see. I heard Philly also threw in a pick in the Harrison/Brown trade which has me wondering if LeSean McCoy is a little nicked up. The Lions have Morris, and Kieland Williams, and now Brown and I think it will be a Morris/Williams timeshare if Best does have to miss any time.

I can't figure out the deal with Jerome Harrison. He had a few monster games w. Kansas City a few years back and some nice stats when he subb'd for McCoy last year. Not quite sure why this guy is bouncing around all over the place.

The Lions are the ones that threw in the pick. But it was only a 7th rounder anyway

My gut tells me Best plays. Apparently it was concussion like symptoms which Vick had earlier in the season and he played. Just being PC I think for the new NFL which cares about its players. (LOL)

See the Ottis Anderson case and find out why the lock out really happened. Its not about owners and money its about the pending class action suit for sweeping concussions and ultimately lives under the rug.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/dolphins/mark-duper-o-j-anderson-among-75-retirees-1629217.html

You have to read between the lines here. Best got "dinged," clearly looked "a little off" after the hit in question, but Detroit put him back in there anyway. This off-season, the NFL instituted a mandatory sideline test if a player is believed to have suffered a concussion. The team is not allowed to re-insert the player onto the field unless he passes this test. If Best suffered a concussion, wasn't administered the test, & the Lions re-inserted him onto the field, they would be subject to discipline.

Consider the above, then the fact that after Best (briefly) returned to the game, he was subsequently removed (& didn't return). They tried to say his absence was due to the "game-plan," but it doesn't make sense for their gameplan to call for Best to sit out, even if they were down, because of his pass-catching abilities.

It seems to me that the Lions are playing CYA. By not admitting that Best had a concussion, they seem to be trying to avoid discipline from the league for ignoring the new concussion policy.

This is a few of these in a short time span, and they get worse exponentially with each one. I'd be concerned if I were Detroit.

Didn't his college concussion come when he went completely vertical and pile drived on his head like they do in cartoons?

It seems to me that the Lions are playing CYA. By not admitting that Best had a concussion, they seem to be trying to avoid discipline from the league for ignoring the new concussion policy.

I agree that they are trying to do a little CYA, but I don't think you need to make it sound sinister. More likely they did not know Best got a concussion if he didn't show many symptoms or speak up. Players are flying around hitting their heads on practically every play.

It is worrisome for Best though, and hopefully they go through all the correct procedures and keep him out even if he didn't "officially" have a concussion.

Ok, you better freakin stop it. As the owner of Jamaal Charles, LeSean McCoy and Jahvid Best in a dynasty league, you're seriously jacking with my emotions...

I agree that they are trying to do a little CYA, but I don't think you need to make it sound sinister. More likely they did not know Best got a concussion if he didn't show many symptoms or speak up. Players are flying around hitting their heads on practically every play.

It is worrisome for Best though, and hopefully they go through all the correct procedures and keep him out even if he didn't "officially" have a concussion.

Sorry if I made it sound sinister. I meant that in the heat of the moment, they didn't do the required tests, and are now trying to cover that up by saying that they are not even sure now that it is a concussion, just concussion-like symptoms (which I think are treated the same way-he must pass the same series of tests before he can return).

Best has been advised to shut it down for the rest of the year

Freeman: Best advised to sit rest of '11

Jahvid Best, RB, DET

9:08 AM

News: CBSSports.com NFL Insider Mike Freeman reported Thursday that Lions RB Jahvid Best has been advised by people close to him to "strongly consider sitting out the year" after suffering his second concussion of the season. As Freeman noted, Best was forced to miss the final four games of his college career due to concussion-like symptoms. Speculation is that further concussion issues could wreck his career. Best did not practice Wednesday and the Lions are mum on whether or not he'll suit up against the Falcons. The team had traded for Eagles RB Ronnie Brown on Tuesday but the deal fell through when Jerome Harrison failed a physical. Maurice Morris is expected to start for the Lions if Best can't make it this week.

Analysis: The move all Jahvid Best owners have to make right now is to pick up Morris -- he's currently owned in just 21 percent of CBSSports.com leagues. Even if Best's stay on the bench is short, Morris will fill in admirably just as he did in the second half of last season when he racked up 79 carries for 326 yards and five touchdowns with 18 catches for 116 yards. Best is still worth owning but at this point he cannot be counted on to start. We'll continue to keep you posted on this news.

Now I don't know what to believe.

Coordinator Scott Linehan insists the Lions "fully expect" Jahvid Best (concussion) to play again this season.

It's welcome news on the heels of a report that those close to Best were advising him to sit out the season. The Lions will take extra precaution with Best considering his history. There will be no timetable for a return until after he passes tests and clears the "sensitivity to light" hurdle. Maurice Morris and Keiland Williams will carry the load indefinitely.

Best has been advised to shut it down for the rest of the year

Freeman: Best advised to sit rest of '11

Jahvid Best, RB, DET

9:08 AM

News: CBSSports.com NFL Insider Mike Freeman reported Thursday that Lions RB Jahvid Best has been advised by people close to him to "strongly consider sitting out the year" after suffering his second concussion of the season. As Freeman noted, Best was forced to miss the final four games of his college career due to concussion-like symptoms. Speculation is that further concussion issues could wreck his career. Best did not practice Wednesday and the Lions are mum on whether or not he'll suit up against the Falcons. The team had traded for Eagles RB Ronnie Brown on Tuesday but the deal fell through when Jerome Harrison failed a physical. Maurice Morris is expected to start for the Lions if Best can't make it this week.

Analysis: The move all Jahvid Best owners have to make right now is to pick up Morris -- he's currently owned in just 21 percent of CBSSports.com leagues. Even if Best's stay on the bench is short, Morris will fill in admirably just as he did in the second half of last season when he racked up 79 carries for 326 yards and five touchdowns with 18 catches for 116 yards. Best is still worth owning but at this point he cannot be counted on to start. We'll continue to keep you posted on this news.

:rolleyes:

If that were the case he'd still get a paycheck. So for him it would be a free pass to get free cash just by saying yeah that's a good idea.

I didn't see the play ... was it on the draw, or when Jim Harbaugh slapped him on the helmet?

Seriously though ...

Rotowire:

Due to concerns over Best's concussion, Maurice Morris will earn the start at running back for the Lions in Week 7, The Oakland (Michigan) Press reports.

Spin: It appears that the decision isn't necessarily an official one, but when an offensive coordinator speaks of being excited to see a guy "take the reins" as the Lions' Scott Linehan did in the report, we can be pretty certain Morris will get the start. At this point, one has to wonder if we will be seeing articles like this on a weekly basis with Best -- he has now had two concussions in two months and is reaching a dangerous territory in terms of career concussions sustained.

Thu, Oct 20

As a Pittsburgh Penguins fan who has watched the daily Sidney Crosby drama for 10 months (Sid hasn't played since early January due to concussion symptoms), I would not be shocked at all to see Best miss extensive time considering that we are now talking about multiple concussions in a short time. The original diagnosis on Crosby was "mild concussion" and it was his first.