Sign in to follow this  
P.I.

How Will Eagles Defend Cowboy WR's?

I am really trying to find out if Dez is a good start in the super bowl...I have no idea how the eagles are doing with all that talent in their secondary...thoughts?

The same way they did several weeks ago. I have Austin on the bench this week. I have to compare the numbers to last game, and it was not pretty. That said I am sure the Cowboys perform better than last time they played, but how much better and who?

well, as an eagles homer we will be watching the Giants/Jets game very closely at 1:00pm. If the Jets win then that leaves us a chance to get into a spot where we can still finish at 8-8 and be in the lead of the NFC EAST with a potential playoff birth as long as we beat washington also. Lots of theings have to happen but its not impossible. With that said ... the Eagles will aways play Dallas hard since they are our nemesis. I dont believe this game will be as one sided as the lst but i do see them, the eagles attempting to apply as much pressure as they did earlier in the season.

The Def is starting to play like a team and if they jump out to an early lead it will spell trouble for the Dallas offense. Babin/Cole and the eagles are going for a franchise record of most sacks in a single season and if we can get dallas to abandon the run early, this will be a game where we can jump that much closer to reaching the record (i think its around 33 - 36 and maybe were sitting at 26 -28 atm) dont quote me cause im not an analyst.

Start your Dallas wrs at your own risk. Maybe they put up big numbers trying to play from behind. Dez, Austin and Robinson each have a td catch in the last 2 games so mauybe that streak continues

I'm afraid many of my fellow Cowboys fans have had their sense of reality jolted by the Tampa Bay game. Too many around here are convinced the defense is fixed and all is okay. I hate to break the news to them, but we still have huge problems. Our already suck ass secondary is going to get stretched 3 and 4 wide all game long - this is going to leave McCoy manned up with our linebackers. Outside of Sean Lee we don't have anybody who can keep up with him. Unless we can somehow find a way to generate a pass rush, which for the past few weeks we have not, we are in big trouble again.......... From an offensive standpoint - I think we will have huge problems too. Felix is gimpy again, big shocker, and we will more than likely be down to Morris and some nobody from the practice squad. Look for Philly to flat out tee off on the rush and be up in Romo's grill all night long. I don't expect much from our passing game this week.

I'm worried about the game but just bc eagles played well against the jets and Miami doesn't mean they are unbeatable. I think cowboys will be ready and have a slightly altered game plan. I see a 31-28 type game and am starting romo and miles with confidence.

I'm afraid many of my fellow Cowboys fans have had their sense of reality jolted by the Tampa Bay game. Too many around here are convinced the defense is fixed and all is okay. I hate to break the news to them, but we still have huge problems. Our already suck ass secondary is going to get stretched 3 and 4 wide all game long - this is going to leave McCoy manned up with our linebackers. Outside of Sean Lee we don't have anybody who can keep up with him. Unless we can somehow find a way to generate a pass rush, which for the past few weeks we have not, we are in big trouble again.......... From an offensive standpoint - I think we will have huge problems too. Felix is gimpy again, big shocker, and we will more than likely be down to Morris and some nobody from the practice squad. Look for Philly to flat out tee off on the rush and be up in Romo's grill all night long. I don't expect much from our passing game this week.

i'm going to differ with your conclusion. your assessment of the defense is solid, but remember that we've faced some really explosive offenses (DET at their peak, NE at their peak) and held them in check, so the capability is there. they just have to go out and execute for 4 quarters, which has been a consistent problem all year.

offensively, i think we're going to see something similar to the DET game, and what a number of offenses have done against us--taking advantage of the upfield rush with screens, counters, and traps. this is going to put pressure on the weakest part of the PHI defense--the linebackers.

i'm much more apprehensive about this game than the giants game next week, because i think that philly is a more dangerous team. but i think it's an absolutely winnable game, and i expect normal romo-like production: ~280yds, 2-3 TDs. he's gonna get hit, and there's certainly potential for turnovers.

the biggest issue is going to be whether or not philly can create consistent pressure with just the front 4. if they can keep 7 in coverage, it's going to be a long day for dallas. it's going to be interesting to see how the eagles work against witten and robinson, because they can't take both of them away at the same time. dez is an interesting play, because he is at his best in athletic contests (which is what a hot route is) rather than in scheme execution. his floor IMO is 4-50, and he's a significant RZ target, so the OP is going to have to decide whether or not he has better options.

Any ideas what happened vs Philly the first time around?

34-0 PHI lead in the 4th, finished 34-7.

http://espn.go.com/n...ameId=311030021

No one did anything for Dal, but Robinson got a garbage time 70 yard TD (he had had maybe 30+ yards total otherwise).

Dallas has gone 5-2 since then, it's at home, but then PHI just showed up for a major crushing of the Jets.

What has changed?

Felix may be a dinged a bit in this game too.

Is this a bad matchup for Dallas players? I have Moss plugged in for Robinson right now, but of course just not sure.

Neither Austin nor Dez received a target in the first half of the first game between these teams. I think that changes this time around. Also, wasn't Romo receiving pain injections for his ribs in the first game? Since those have ceased, he's played much better and seems more confident in the pocket which might bode well for him because he's gonna have to take shots to complete some passes this game.

I own Romo in one league and am starting him ahead of Matt Moore. Romo has been playing at a high level the past month or so....gotta stick with the hot hand. And I own Austin in another league...and am starting him at flex because I don't have anybody else worthwhile. I'd start Dez too and think he's the Cowboys receiver with the most upside in this one.

I really don't like Dez in this game. Last game i don't think he had a catch until the 4th quarter.

My other option is Santonio and he doesn't thrill me either but he seems to get a lot of targets recently and with Greene's hand situation I think they may have to throw more....they may anyway if Eli gets hot.

both philly and dallas are utterly enigmatic teams. You do not know what team is going to show up any given weekend. THe dallas O has been fairly consistent, but this game can easily be 38-8 either way, and can go anywhere in between. Trying to figure out who is going to get theirs and who's gonna play who is a losing battle, I assure you. Have confidence in the guys that got you there, and plug them in. It's gonna be a crapshoot regardless. I think we'll see a fairly high scoring game, and with running game hurting in dallas, the pass game should get a bulk of the work, meaning any of the guys can throw up big numbers, and odds are all of them will get a lil piece of the pie minimum...

i'm going to differ with your conclusion. your assessment of the defense is solid, but remember that we've faced some really explosive offenses (DET at their peak, NE at their peak) and held them in check, so the capability is there. they just have to go out and execute for 4 quarters, which has been a consistent problem all year.

I wish I shared your optimism s-song. I do think we can move the ball and score some. Our defense, however, has 3 glaring killer problems with it: we can't rush the quaterback, we can't cover anybody, and our linebackers are slow. Against teams like the Giants we can sometimes hold our own - slow, big, qb and big, slow rb. But Philly is a totally different make up. McCoy and Vick can flat out go - I have no idea how we are going to contain either of them. Our big guys up front and on the end are going to have to play at a level they have not all year long and get to Vick and disrupt the backfield if we are going to have a chance.

How will Philly defend Dallas wideouts? Probably by going up double digits early and letting Babin, Cole and Jenkins tee off on Romo when he's forced to throw. Philly's D really isn't that good but they rush the passer very well. This game could go either way but if I'm Dallas I'd try hard to run the ball and speed up the clock.

I wish I shared your optimism s-song. I do think we can move the ball and score some. Our defense, however, has 3 glaring killer problems with it: we can't rush the quaterback, we can't cover anybody, and our linebackers are slow. Against teams like the Giants we can sometimes hold our own - slow, big, qb and big, slow rb. But Philly is a totally different make up. McCoy and Vick can flat out go - I have no idea how we are going to contain either of them. Our big guys up front and on the end are going to have to play at a level they have not all year long and get to Vick and disrupt the backfield if we are going to have a chance.

i agree with all of this. as always, vick posed a cascade of problems for defenses. he did particular damage by taking advantage of the looping upfield rush, and this is a scheme component that ryan is going to have to change. as i see it, dallas is going to have to play aggressively this week, rather than the passivity that doomed them last game. this means exposing the secondary, but you can't play winning football based on fear--the secondary needs to be challenged, and they're going to have to respond.

as i've said in other threads, this game makes me far more nervous than the giants finale. PHI is a seriously dangerous team, and can beat any team in the NFL--they have that much talent. but dallas has the tools and the talent to win this game. they just need to execute.

Don't forget that this is the week that Robinson goes off. He has been alternating between good games and great games for weeks now without fail.

Get Laurent in there.

Don't forget that this is the week that Robinson goes off. He has been alternating between good games and great games for weeks now without fail.

Get Laurent in there.

Hope you are right,I'm benching Harvin for him!!

Once again, I am debating to start both Austin and Robinson...

For the past 2 weeks, they have both scored, so I might leave them in. My worry is that Philly pressures Romo hard, and he has a crap game, then I just lost 2 guys production. Been putting Robinson in at flex, just not sure about this week and playing it safe. My worry is sit one of those guys, and the guy on my bench goes off!

Dallas' defense is a total focking joke - it's embarrassing. Actually, that's not totally true - outside of the fact we can't rush the passer, can't cover anybody, and don't know how to tackle, it's not that bad. We do a great job of looking at each other after the play with our arms raised up.....

Dallas' defense is a total focking joke - it's embarrassing. Actually, that's not totally true - outside of the fact we can't rush the passer, can't cover anybody, and don't know how to tackle, it's not that bad. We do a great job of looking at each other after the play with our arms raised up.....

I FULLY agree,....we may have hit the bottom. :wall:

Keep Ware & Lee......make the rest of them prove themselves. :mad:

* Oh Yeah....and i'm not a fan of Long Haired Loud Mouthed Tubby either