Sign in to follow this  
Know Doubt

Weight Lifters Type of Injury Question...?

i haven't benched since last august when i started feeling tendons(?) or something rippling over each other on the tip top of my shoulder(if i was standing)...???

if i stay really quiet i can hear them like when you crack your knuckles, just 'pop'. 'crackle', 'pop', 'crackle'. then when i've extended about 3/4 'up' it stops.

it doesn't hurt but it sure feels/sounds weird/wrong.

i've taken 3 months off, i've taken 6 months off and it is still there even when i take weight off, like 50lbs of my warmup.

any cures, suggestions...???

please and thank you.

If you have insurance, I wouldn't even piss around with it. Should be very easy to duplicate in front of a doc.

I'd get it checked out before proceeding. I tore my rotator cuff and bicep tendon in January benching, and it sucks. I believe my injury started with a skiing accident, and then tore in the gym. Good luck.

Get it checked out, but my suggestion after that is physical therapy. I had something similar that took me off the bench for a long time before I finally got some physical therapy help.

The flat bench is one of the worst things at the gym, and most people who stick to it wind up with the same problem.

There are all kinds of things you can do to heal it and prevent it from happening again. I have a whole series of exercises I do every week just so I can bench press without the should going to crap. And I don't do the flat bench anymore.

Your shoulder joints are strongly involved in bench pressing. Muscles affecting the shoulder joint include your pectoralis major, deltoids and latissimus dorsi. Each of these muscles has tendons that cross your shoulder joint and insert into the upper region of your humerus. Your shoulder tendons are especially at risk of injury when you bench press using very heavy weights, lower the bar too quickly towards your chest or place your hands too far apart.

According to "Sports Injuries: Their Prevention and Treatment" by Per Renstrom, you can minimize your risk of shoulder joint tendon injury by only lifting heavy weights if you are suitably experienced, placing your hands only slightly wider than shoulder-width apart and always lowering the weight under control and not bouncing the bar off of your chest.

Sounds like you'll need an MRI. Even if a doctor hears it...he won't know. They need to see it. Actually, they may do x-ray first, then likely won't see anything, then do the MRI.

As far as flat benching being one of the worst lifts, I've never had issues. My elbows on the other hand......had surgery on BOTH of them for chronic tendonitis this past December (golfers elbow that never went away). Had cortisone shots off and on in both elbows for about 4 years. The injury/pain eventually kept coming back, and finally, cortisone would no longer help. Both sports medicine guys and the surgeon cited that the likely culprit-- straight bar curls. And in hindsight...makes total sense to me after thinking back to all the times when I would first notice the elbow pain creeping back---was during straight bar curls. Stay away from them.

Sounds like you'll need an MRI. Even if a doctor hears it...he won't know. They need to see it. Actually, they may do x-ray first, then likely won't see anything, then do the MRI.

As far as flat benching being one of the worst lifts, I've never had issues. My elbows on the other hand......had surgery on BOTH of them for chronic tendonitis this past December (golfers elbow that never went away). Had cortisone shots off and on in both elbows for about 4 years. The injury/pain eventually kept coming back, and finally, cortisone would no longer help. Both sports medicine guys and the surgeon cited that the likely culprit-- straight bar curls. And in hindsight...makes total sense to me after thinking back to all the times when I would first notice the elbow pain creeping back---was during straight bar curls. Stay away from them.

Now I'm just the opposite. Blew out my tricep flat benching and always had chronic shoulder pain. Onve I came back from the injury, I stopped soing flat benches. Not only dis my tricep tendon heal great, but my shoulder pain went away.

And heavy straight bar curls are my bread and butter bicep exercise and I never have any problems or pain from them.

I agree with you on the MRI. It's the only way they'll really know what's going on in there.

There is also another thing called progressively increasing strength so you give your muscles enough time to adapt to the increasing weight. You might have gotten to your heavier lifts too fast with bad form?

After you get it checked out and are ready to starting lifting again, i suggest reading Mark Rippetoe's Start Strength book on benching. Guy lays out every aspect of avoiding injuries with this kinda lift. Surely there are people out there that are benching without pain, so there must be something wrong we are doing right?

And heavy straight bar curls are my bread and butter bicep exercise and I never have any problems or pain from them.

Best biceps lift there is....unfortunately....no way will I do them. The other day, I grabbed just the empty bar, did a few (to see if I felt any pain)...and thought how nice it'd be to start again....then I though back to my predicament and set it down and walked away and grabbed the dumbbells.

Because bench works pecs and smaller muscles at the front of the chest and shoulders, and ignores opposing muscles, it tends to pull the shoulder joint forward into an unstable position. As a result you can injure the shoulder, and cause arthritic changes at the shoulder joint + damage to the rotator cuff tendons and possibly cause nerve impingement. The crunching is called crepitus, which reflects wear and tear on the joint with bone rubbing on bone (as opposed the the cartilage/joint fluid cushioning a healthy joint), but doesn't necessarily indicate anything serious.

What is important is pain and reduction in functionality - loss of strength involving rotator cuff muscles. This could indicate a muscle/tendon tear or nerve impingement; the former can sometimes require surgery, while the latter responds to rest and steroid injection. If you had pain, NSAIDS (drugs like ibuprofen) would also be indicated.

In the absence of pain or weakness, as you describe, the best treatment is PT. You should strengthen your opposing muscles, especially the rotator cuff. Exercises like the prone cobra are good for this, as are a variety of shoulder raises using LIGHT weight. Lay off the bench for a while, several weeks to months until your shoulders can "catch up" to your overused pecs. I don't mean the deltoids, the big shoulder muscles, but the smaller stabilizers of the rotator cuff - supraspinatus, infraspinatus, teres minor, subscapularis . In fact, you need to lay off the military press too, and quit bad exercises like behind the neck military altogether.

A decent doc can do a physical exam and determine if this is anything serious, including if any additional testing is needed. From what you've described an MRI is NOT indicated. Doing a test just "to know what is wrong" is a waste of time and $ if it will not affect management. Without severe pain or functional deficits you do NOT need surgery.

When/if you resume bench, start light and don't lower the bar all the way to you chest, as this is tough on the shoulders, too. Overall try to balance your muscle strength and don't get caught up overworking the vanity muscles - pecs, biceps, abs. Good posture and joint alignment will lessen injuries, but overusing any muscle will inevitably lead to injury.

Because bench works pecs and smaller muscles at the front of the chest and shoulders, and ignores opposing muscles, it tends to pull the shoulder joint forward into an unstable position. As a result you can injure the shoulder, and cause arthritic changes at the shoulder joint + damage to the rotator cuff tendons and possibly cause nerve impingement. The crunching is called crepitus, which reflects wear and tear on the joint with bone rubbing on bone (as opposed the the cartilage/joint fluid cushioning a healthy joint), but doesn't necessarily indicate anything serious.

What is important is pain and reduction in functionality - loss of strength involving rotator cuff muscles. This could indicate a muscle/tendon tear or nerve impingement; the former can sometimes require surgery, while the latter responds to rest and steroid injection. If you had pain, NSAIDS (drugs like ibuprofen) would also be indicated.

In the absence of pain or weakness, as you describe, the best treatment is PT. You should strengthen your opposing muscles, especially the rotator cuff. Exercises like the prone cobra are good for this, as are a variety of shoulder raises using LIGHT weight. Lay off the bench for a while, several weeks to months until your shoulders can "catch up" to your overused pecs. I don't mean the deltoids, the big shoulder muscles, but the smaller stabilizers of the rotator cuff - supraspinatus, infraspinatus, teres minor, subscapularis . In fact, you need to lay off the military press too, and quit bad exercises like behind the neck military altogether.

A decent doc can do a physical exam and determine if this is anything serious, including if any additional testing is needed. From what you've described an MRI is NOT indicated. Doing a test just "to know what is wrong" is a waste of time and $ if it will not affect management. Without severe pain or functional deficits you do NOT need surgery.

When/if you resume bench, start light and don't lower the bar all the way to you chest, as this is tough on the shoulders, too. Overall try to balance your muscle strength and don't get caught up overworking the vanity muscles - pecs, biceps, abs. Good posture and joint alignment will lessen injuries, but overusing any muscle will inevitably lead to injury.

I agree with the physical therapy. My wife is a physical therapist and it is amazing how they can fix and show you where you are weak.

I concur with the good posture and it's very possible that your opposing muscles are weak and causing a strain. A good PT should be able to evaluate you.

Best biceps lift there is....unfortunately....no way will I do them. The other day, I grabbed just the empty bar, did a few (to see if I felt any pain)...and thought how nice it'd be to start again....then I though back to my predicament and set it down and walked away and grabbed the dumbbells.

Good idea. There are tons of exercises to do. If one causes discomfort, move to another. No use letting an injury set you back several months. :thumbsup:

I agree with the physical therapy. My wife is a physical therapist and it is amazing how they can fix and show you where you are weak.

I concur with the good posture and it's very possible that your opposing muscles are weak and causing a strain. A good PT should be able to evaluate you.

Physical therapy? They need to know what is going on first. I mean....physical therapy for what? To fix what? I mean...he doesn't know the injury, how he got it, or anything. Heck...I think he said there wasn't any pain.

Physical therapy may be a great idea...but I'd think they'd need to see exactly what is going on first.

Physical therapy? They need to know what is going on first. I mean....physical therapy for what? To fix what? I mean...he doesn't know the injury, how he got it, or anything. Heck...I think he said there wasn't any pain.

Physical therapy may be a great idea...but I'd think they'd need to see exactly what is going on first.

You're right, he needs a diagnosis to qualify for PT, which his doctor can provide, likely without an MRI. Or he can do the exercises himself without going to a doc or PT:

Great stuff, thx.

Good stuff everybody, thx for helping out.

Now here's my questions 'back'.

If I do do bench at lighter weighters won't I be training my chest to get smaller???

I've tried benching 'only' 120lbs and it still ripples/crackles. my warm up weight used to be 160lbs. Should I just keep going down by 10lbs until I can bench a weight 10x comfortably...???

I agree it was probably my form that led to this plus trying to throw too hard at disc golf(or possibly incorrect form doing disc golf drives).

Thx again!!!

:cheers:

my right shoulder is shot... i sleep on my stomach and wake up every morning with severe pain and stiffness in it... When i went to the doctors they gave me an xray, told me it showed nothing, and an MRI would be way over the top...

I have the glorious Massachusetts insurance, a model of BS and waste... Had to pay over $1g out of pocket for BS physical therapy sessions... Total garbage, the PT industry is a giant scam as it exists... Sure they can recommend a few exercises, I probably received about 15 minutes of real helpful information, rest just BS...

Great stuff, thx.

If I do do bench at lighter weighters won't I be training my chest to get smaller???

I've tried benching 'only' 120lbs and it still ripples/crackles. my warm up weight used to be 160lbs. Should I just keep going down by 10lbs until I can bench a weight 10x comfortably...???

I agree it was probably my form that led to this plus trying to throw too hard at disc golf(or possibly incorrect form doing disc golf drives).

Thx again!!!

Is your vanity worth experiencing pain/loss of function down the road? If so, bench away. Otherwise, rehab your shoulder and lift the amount at which your pain is minimal. Probably never get rid of the crepitus, however.

DO NOT get it checked out, do not say anything about it.

Next time you're hauling the garbage back to the McDumpster, down you go like a champ. :thumbsup: slick :thumbsup:

Why should you have to pay for something you did to yourself? stupid

DO NOT get it checked out, do not say anything about it.

Next time you're hauling the garbage back to the McDumpster, down you go like a champ. :thumbsup: slick :thumbsup:

Why should you have to pay for something you did to yourself? stupid

Money for nothing? Getting paid to stay home? Did you forget to log in as phurfer?

Not to hijack the thread but I thought I'd ask a quick question in here too.

I'm in pretty decent shape. Do cardio 3 days per week and lift three days per week. I don't have many issues as I lift mostly to maintain rather than add bulk.

The problem is when I do exercises like pushups, mountain climbers, or anything that starts me off in the plank position my shoulders get really tired fast. My chest doesn't get tired when I do pushups, just my shoulders. Is this a problem? Do I have bad form or something?

Great stuff, thx.

Thx again!!!

Can you do pushups without pain?

Can you do pushups without pain?

I'm not sure if you meant to quote me there so I'll just answer as if you did.

No I don't feel any pain at all, just fatigued.

I'm not sure if you meant to quote me there so I'll just answer as if you did.

No I don't feel any pain at all, just fatigued.

I was actually directing that at KNow Doubt because it sounds like he has pain regardless of how light he goes with straight bar benching. For him, pushup might be the better option.

In your case, it simply sounds like your delts are your weak link. If you don't have pain, keep working through it and I think they'll catch up to your chest and triceps. Pushups are an awesome exercise.

I was actually directing that at KNow Doubt because it sounds like he has pain regardless of how light he goes with straight bar benching. For him, pushup might be the better option.

In your case, it simply sounds like your delts are your weak link. If you don't have pain, keep working through it and I think they'll catch up to your chest and triceps. Pushups are an awesome exercise.

Thx Newbie.

No there's no 'noise' or pain doing push ups.

That's the weird thing about this, it doesn't hurt at all to do benches, just sounds like someting really 'bad' is going on on top of my shoulder.

Guess I can try and make it to 100 push ups. It'll be something 'new' and a possible refreshing change, thx man.