Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Arizona at New Orleans

Hey, preseason football has started! This will be the official in-game thread for all the fantasy tidbits, injuries, and discussion about this exhibition game.

Players to watch:

John Skelton: He's competing for the number one quarterback of this team. And while most fantasy teams wouldn't roster him in any scenario, this quarterback situation has a direct effect on Larry Fitzgerald's value.

Michael Floyd: Can he emerge as a legitimate #2 receiver opposite of Fitzgerald? Is he fantasy relevant in re-draft leagues and what is his value long term for dynasty leagues?

New Orleans Running Backs: I wouldn't expect to see Sproles long, but Pierre Thomas and Mark Ingram are competing for reps and for the tough yards inside. I'd say the inside track should go to Ingram, but can he stay healthy and can he keep learning the NFL offense?

The referees: Unless you haven't been paying attention, the refs in this game, and potentially for quite some time here on out, will be subs. This means there could be more holding in the lines, more pass interference, more plays getting away without penalties. We'll see

Saints are really stretching the field on this drive. Pierre Thomas looks fast but this offense is just so dangerous. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of these type of "passes" where Brees dumps it off to the back. Arizona's pressure has enabled the screen plays to be run to perfection. Anybody know who the interm coach is until Vitt comes back?

No need to even really throw the ball downfield on that drive. Ingram got the red-zone carries, Pierre Thomas and Sproles caught some screens to move the ball down the field, and Brees should be done for the night having been nearly flawless 4/5 for 41 yards but really just one true completion for 12 yards to Joe Morgan. Great drive.

LOL Kevin Kolb better realize that this is the pre-season. No more downfield blocking for quarterbacks!

Very errant throw by Kolb. That was SEVERELY underthrown and picked off on the sideline by Malcolm Jenkins. Thanks Cardinals for that nice loot for #4. The Eagles fleeced them.

Brees done for the night, Chase Daniel out there. Arizona still has the first team defense out there. Looks like Mark Ingram should get some good work on the next few drives.

Patrick Peterson out there for a punt return, but I don't think there was a chance in hell that he'd return one in the first preseason game. Kolb back out there for the Cardinals' second drive.

I can't believe the Cardinals didn't upgrade their qb position ! They have no chance with Kolb at qb. With the NFL turning in to a passing league without at least a decent starter at qb your screwed !

I think that hold by Levi Brown in the endzone is one great example of what these new refs need to be trained to look for. No way does that get overlooked by the normal refs IMHO

Kevin Kolb injured...and he went down hard. That arm looked like it hit hard but like Mayock said, it's tough to speculate

Kevin Kolb injured...and he went down hard. That arm looked like it hit hard but like Mayock said, it's tough to speculate

I was saying before the game to a friend of mine, "You gotta start Kolb." because they paid so much for him, but then any little injury to Kolb they are gonna make it a bigger deal than it is to get Skelton in there.

My god...these refs look like they're starstruck making the holding call on the punt return

I was saying before the game to a friend of mine, "You gotta start Kolb." because they paid so much for him, but then any little injury to Kolb they are gonna make it a bigger deal than it is to get Skelton in there.

Agreed, but I think Skelton gives this team a better chance to compete...and I think Fitzgerald would prefer him. Given the way this offensive line has blocked though, both quarterbacks better have a great insurance plan.

How's Ingram look? I am most interested in whether Ingram or Pierre Thomas is the guy to own after Sproles.

Stewart Bradley: You sacked Chase Daniels in a pre-season game. Don't hurt yourself celebrating :thumbsdown:

Rib contusion for Kolb

@IGotWorms: Mark Ingram looked good. He ran twice in the red zone on the first drive with the starters. He got a nice ten yard run and then took two runs into the end zone (the first one he definitely got the ball over the plane but they ruled him down at the 1)

How's Ingram look? I am most interested in whether Ingram or Pierre Thomas is the guy to own after Sproles.

Thomas looks better, but Ingram got the GL carries.

Saints defense continues to give up big plays. Nice run by Alfonso Smith. Skelton is leading the team down the field and it's nice ball-control offense. Moderate gains and mixing up the play calling. Kevin Kolb probably would like to use a mulligan on today.

Touchdown Alfonso Smith. Nice running on that drive by Smith and very good running blocking by the Arizona offensive linemen

All backups in the game. Skelton might get a little bit more action but I wouldn't bank on it. Don't want to have both your "starting" quarterbacks injured in this game. Back to Call of Duty for me

One penalty called thus far called in the first 25:19 minutes of the game. Either the best played first pre-season game ever or refs are still getting feet wet.

Additionally, for the IDP drafters, I'm going to be keeping my eye on Stewart Bradley. He's been seemingly everywhere and could represent great value in the very late rounds or as a free-agent.

Ok...NOW back to Call of Duty.

Avoiding all Saints RB's this year.......they are DEEP.

Too early to tell but AZ is at risk for having its wheels come completely off the bus

Too early to tell but AZ is at risk for having its wheels come completely off the bus

Yeah I have no idea who the second ranked WR should be.

Fitz has QB problems. AJ and Nicks have some injury concerns. White has Julio. Julio has White. Jennings is in a system with a ton of talent.

All the more reason to wait IMO.

P.S. It might be Julio for me. Not sure if I'm crazy for boarding the hype train.

Fitz has QB problems. AJ and Nicks have some injury concerns. White has Julio. Julio has White. Jennings is in a system with a ton of talent.

P.S. It might be Julio for me. Not sure if I'm crazy for boarding the hype train.

And this is how a thread about the HoF game becomes Julio thread (we need more of those <_< ) Good job Mueller :thumbsup:

And this is how a thread about the HoF game becomes Julio thread (we need more of those <_< ) Good job Mueller :thumbsup:

Hahaha...Sorry.... MY BAD. :unsure:

Maybe I should edit out that last part.

Julio's been my #2 for quite some time. All the recent reports and hype help solidify it. What would be crazy at this point is not putting him number 2. In a keeper format, there's not even a question.