Sign in to follow this  
cooolbreeze

Hillis vs CJ Spiller ppr

I'm cleaning up my rankings before my draft on Monday. I'm in a ppr league where we can start up to 4 wrs so I'm going WR heavy early. This means I'll be looking to fill my #2 rb in the later rounds.

I'm thinking at some point I will have to chose between Peyton Hillis and CJ Spiller. I like Hillis to bounce back this year, I really do. But, Spiller was nasty towards the end of last year when they figured out how to use him, especially in ppr

So, in a PPR league who would you want as your #2 RB?

I started this in the wrong forum, sorry...here is the link in the Little Help forum.

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=404306

Will answer yours if you leave a link

I think your good in this forum, I'd be interested to see what everyone says about Spiller who I am not very high on...mostly because I think Fjax still will have enough in the tank for 1 more season.

I also think the Chiefs line will be solid and Hillis should get 200 or more carries. You can't say those things about Spiller.

IMO, this is simply a no brainer. Hills has value, good value, even with a healthy Charles in the backfield. Spiller has marginal talent and needs an injury to FJax to have any value. No comparison between the two.

Hillis, and it's pretty clear in my eyes.

Not only is he going to get early down work, but people forget Hillis is a decent receiver himself out of the backfield. I know Charles will get most of the receptions but I think Hillis will get his.

If you compare their ADP hillis is going a full 2 rounds earlier. CJ Spiller is going until 7.11 which is absurd but good for me since I am as big a Spiller fan as any. I think both will put up similar numbers this year. I wasn't as high on Hillis as many were but after the first game Hillis did look good and it looks like the rushing attack in KC is going to get a lot of opportunity for production. It depends on how their defense fairs. If the Chiefs D can play respectable D they will have the luxury of wearing down the clock with the run game.

With Spiller I see him being more involved in the passing attack. For ppr leagues I view him as more valuable with his current ADP. Spiller is the future RB in Buffalo. FJax is 31 this season and I don't care if he has had limited action, he is 31. I am not saying FJax will not produce this year but his time is coming to an end very quickly. Spiller will be taking over the lion's share of touches at the earliest later this year, at the latest next year. One strategy I would definitely employ is grabbing Spiller if I draft FJax. At FJax's current ADP I will definitely not be drafting him though. If you have both and one goes down, you have a RB1 on your hands. If you have both you probably have a 2 RB2 and at worst a RB3 on your team. RB3 at 7.11 with the potential to produce like a RB1 if the situation is right is worth a late pick to me.

I don't think you need to choose between them, you may be able to get both. I'd keep thoughts on "choose between two players" to the early rounds. If you are going WR heavy earlier then you should be able to take a few RBs in back to back rounds later.

I luckily have both and not to brag, but got Hillis in the 8th and CJ Spiller in the 10th, oh yeah! (wasn't ppr though).

But to answer the question, Hillis just because we know he will have more touches, plus Charles you still don't know about. I think CJ could be big as the year goes on.

I want to say Spiller, but jeesh - a first round RB who's entering his 3rd year and still can't beat out a 31 y.o. un-drafted free agent? Clearly, Spiller isn't the talent the Bills hoped for when they drafted him.

I like Hillis but Spiller is intriguing.

Bills realized spiller can produce if given the chance.. so I'm high in him this year as I think he'll start season as the #2 back but eventually IMO he will get more touches then Freddie Jackson . Plus he is dynamic receiver out of backfield - moreso then Jackson

Bills realized spiller can produce if given the chance.. so I'm high in him this year as I think he'll start season as the #2 back but eventually IMO he will get more touches then Freddie Jackson . Plus he is dynamic receiver out of backfield - moreso then Jackson

He's not just a dynamic receiver out of the backfield, he's a dynamic receiver. He will line up there fairly often.

he'll start season as the #2 back but eventually IMO he will get more touches then Freddie Jackson . Plus he is dynamic receiver out of backfield - moreso then Jackson

I thought the exact same thing!!! Each of the past 2 years that I drafted him. <_<

The Bills invested a #9th overall draft pick in 2010 on this guy, and he's still #2 on the depth chart behind a 31 yo RB.?. If Spiller falls really late in the draft I guess I'd drink the cool-aid one more time, but jeesh... talk about underachieving.

I thought the exact same thing!!! Each of the past 2 years that I drafted him. <_<

The Bills invested a #9th overall draft pick in 2010 on this guy, and he's still #2 on the depth chart behind a 31 yo RB.?. If Spiller falls really late in the draft I guess I'd drink the cool-aid one more time, but jeesh... talk about underachieving.

This is make or break year IMO!

Year 1 - he wasn't ready, he wasn't a pro

Year 2 - he had to play when Freddie went down , and he played well.

Year 3 - fantasy stud :)

I like him as a third fantasy RB that will be solid 2 by mid season

C.J. Spiller & Fred Jackson are playing against the Vikings right now. They've been on the field together every single play, except third and long they had 5 wide going, Jackson came off, Spiller lined up as a WR.

Jackson did get the ball more, & when C.J. got it, there was no blocking.

EDIT: As I type this, they're trying to get their FB in there, it looks like just to give him a look.

I want to say Spiller, but jeesh - a first round RB who's entering his 3rd year and still can't beat out a 31 y.o. un-drafted free agent? Clearly, Spiller isn't the talent the Bills hoped for when they drafted him.

Your making too big a deal of Jackson being undrafted. Arian Foster wasn't drafted; Brady was a 6th round pick; etc. The draft isn't an exact science. What do your eyeballs tell you about Fred Jackson? The guy can play. On the flip side, Spiller is still a kid and it can take time to become acclimated to the NFL. I like Spiller. I think he has value even with a healthy Jackson, especially in PPR formats. High upside in the event of a Jackson injury too!

The light bulb went off for Spiller last year.

I would not hesitate to pull the trigger on either Hillis or Spiller, would love to have both on my roster as RB 2 and 2A,

Your making too big a deal of Jackson being undrafted. Arian Foster wasn't drafted; Brady was a 6th round pick; etc. The draft isn't an exact science.

That's the debate. Is Spiller really that bad or is Jackson just that good? It's probably a little of both, but one thing is for sure - no team drafts a player 9th OVERALL and expects him to be #2 on depth chart for the next 3 years. Obviously Spiller has been a huge disappointment.

The first two years of Spiller's career reminds me (tho not for the exact same reasons) of another highly drafted back who, after two seasons, showed flashes but was widely considered on his way to bustville...I had drafted him his first two years and was extremely disappointed...in year three, I found myself saying his name again in the fourteenth round, followed by, "I can't believe I am putting this turd on my squad for a third straight year!" That "turd' ended up being a key cog to winning a title that year named Darren McFadden. If Spiller doesn't put it all together this year, than call him Felix Jones 2.0...but, let's see if year three can be for him what it was for DMC...