Sign in to follow this  
edjr

How badly did the NFL owners lose in this referee lockout?

You know damn well if the sac refs did an even halfway decent job, these regular referees would have been locked out until their union broke and they came back at exactly what the NFL wanted to pay them.

The NFL lost HUGE here. In a lot of ways. From games that the wrong team lost to the egg on their faces from the lockout.

maybe, maybe not. it's possible that this whole process showed that the refs are fairly priced, even if it does seem like they make a lot of money. if nothing else, going forward, the owners will know that they are getting good quality in the refs they have vs. the alternative options.

I read the the refs will make about an extra 2k starting next year per game. So in that regard, the NFL lost pennies.

it's not about the $, it's about them locking out the referees and not getting what they wanted.

their sticking point was the pensions. they were dead set against taking the pensions away. That didn't happen. they lost.

The owners lost absolutely nothing in this. ZERO.

Lost no viewers, lost no fans in attendance, lost no advertising dollars.....nothing.

Its naive to think a few bad calls somehow cost them....heck they probably profit of all the print and publication here for a bit.

Its a black eye for Goodell and the Shield....but not owners.

why did they lock them out in the 1st place?

why did they lock them out in the 1st place?

i can't say i know for sure, but what i've heard is the pensions...pensions are very dangerous as an entitlment...just take a look what it did to the auto industry, or take a look at how much states pay teachers in their pensions...pensions are a very nice idea, but economically it can really cripple a company/municipality/state once you start having one or two generations of ex-workers receiving them, because the employer has to not only pay their present employees but also their past ones as well...that's at least my understanding...

then again, it's a very different situation for the nfl as opposed to the auto industry or schools...the auto industry has major competition and schools get very limited funding, so they're playing with a very limited checkbook...the nfl makes a ton of money...and there's zero competition (legit competetion at least), so if they ever need to make more, they'll just jack up ticket prices and tv rights, since fans and tv companies typically pay whatever the price is. to them, the dollar amount on the pensions on the very small number of refs is irrelevant, so i'd think...

could also be a pre-emptive ploy for the next bargaining session with the players

Lost no viewers, lost no fans in attendance, lost no advertising dollars.....nothing.

Its naive to think a few bad calls somehow cost them....heck they probably profit of all the print and publication here for a bit.

Its a black eye for Goodell and the Shield....but not owners.

This. ^

Hell, that blown call had the likes of CNN leading off with this as a lead story - incredible. As far as $ goes, the owners are making so much jack, this will hardly make a dent in their pile.

This. ^

Hell, that blown call had the likes of CNN leading off with this as a lead story - incredible. As far as $ goes, the owners are making so much jack, this will hardly make a dent in their pile.

they locked the refs out to get rid of the pensions? did they get that? no.

they lost.

they lost.

If you have to declare a winner, sure - the refs won. In the grand scheme of things they got away with a gallon of water out of Lake Erie.

they lost.

I'm with ya Ed.

The lockout was essentially about one issue. The refs wanted to keep their pensions. The owners wanted to take them away.

The lockout is over because the owners gave in to what the refs wanted. What's so difficult to understand here?

I'm with ya Ed.

The lockout was essentially about one issue. The refs wanted to keep their pensions. The owners wanted to take them away.

The lockout is over because the owners gave in to what the refs wanted. What's so difficult to understand here?

Yes, the final agreement and result being an 8-year deal. Now, here's the kicker - the current pension plan only extends until 2016, the final 4 years of the deal the owner's version/plan kicks into effect.

Basically the refs got a raise from $8 grand a game to $10 grand a game and an extension of their current pension plan for 4 more years. After that the owners get what they wanted all along. So did the refs win? Okay, I guess, least for 4 years - and certainly nothing enough to make a dent in the owners pocket. When you kick in all the pub that already has happened and is going to happen when the refs come back - could be argued the owners won.

they lost.

The owners weren't fighting to get rid of the pensions, they were fighting to make them 401k type pensions, where the NFL pays X amount of money, then the refs invest as they want, and they see the losses or gains. The current system is that the NFL pays the refs a set (larger) amount.

I've heard that the current system will stay in place for another five years, then will switch over to the 401k.

So neither side got what they wanted, but they also didn't completely cave.

The NFL wins no matter what! The only people who lose are the multitude of hourly sports personalities that have to find something else to harp on that might actually require some form of intelligent thought.

If they kept the replacement refs, people would watch in droves to see another bad call like the GB/SEA game.

If the real refs come back, people come back in droves to watch the "NFL".

It's a win win.

Its the same as a cell phone company, you will put up with their ###### because you realize that is just the way it is.

Personally, I figured the next big story would be player injuries due to the replacement refs. Since player safety is the NFL's number one concern (after profits).

the current pension plan only extends until 2016, the final 4 years of the deal the owner's version/plan kicks into effect.

I didn't know this part.

I suppose now I will call it a tie. :thumbsup:

In the grand scheme of things they got away with a gallon of water out of Lake Erie.

Amazing.