Sign in to follow this  
chroniciguana

Time to kick Cedric Benson to the curb?

On the plus side, he's Green Bay's running game. On the minus side, Green Bay doesn't have a running game. So far, at least. I need to open a roster spot, have yet to start the guy and unless the situation changes, I won't. My other RBs are leaving him in the dust. His ownership hovers around 98 percent (misery loves company), but he's starting in just 64 percent. Thoughts? Does he get going, or does he continue to tread water or, worse, go downhill? What are other Benson owners thinking and doing with this problem child?

(There is a great pickup who continues to languish on the WW. I don't want to embarrass the other owners by revealing who he is but his ownership is now at 83.45% and climbing.)

Well, he didn't do too well his first game, probably in large part because he'd been a part of the team for an hour and a half when the opening kickoff arrived.

Week two, he had 110/0.

Week three, against a really good defense, 50/1.

He seems perfectly viable to me. I'm willing to write off the first game entirely, due to circumstance. But even if you don't, he's on pace for something like 1200 yards from scrimmage and 6 or 7 TD's. Certainly ownable.

If your question is whether he's the most droppable player on your unnamed roster, and whether he's worth dropping for an unnamed player...

...I'm thinking...

maybe? (But I have my doubts.)

If your question is whether he's the most droppable player on your unnamed roster, and whether he's worth dropping for an unnamed player...

Didn't want to wander off into "A Little Help" territory. But there's this Williams fellow from Arizona everyone else seems to have, for whatever reason, fallen asleep on. And yes, due to a bye week issue at WR, Benson is the boy on the bubble.

Didn't want to wander off into "A Little Help" territory. But there's this Williams fellow from Arizona everyone else seems to have, for whatever reason, fallen asleep on. And yes, due to a bye week issue at WR, Benson is the boy on the bubble.

Well obviously if you're going to go the "little help" route, in a perfect world it would happen in the right place, etc. But if that's the question you're going to ask anyway, it's pointless to do it without the info, innit.

I like Benson better than Williams. But I'm equally confident I'd rather have Williams than somebody on your team. Cut loose some dead weight and go for it.

I traded Ceddy after Week 2 for Jermicheal Finley. He's in a good offense and gets the rock, but doesn't play 3rd downs and his two good games came against his former teams.

I'm not sure he's droppable though.

I traded Ceddy after Week 2 for Jermicheal Finley. He's in a good offense and gets the rock, but doesn't play 3rd downs and his two good games came against his former teams.

I'm not sure he's droppable though.

The last two games, I've seen Benson in on third downs quite a few times. They seem to be incorperating him into teh passing game a little. If Rodgers and the coaches start gaining confidence in him as a receiving option, he could end up accumulating some nice fantasy numbers.

Things can change quickly in the NFL, but it's very obvious the Packers think Benson is a feature back and they want to use him as such. There aren't many players in the NFL that can say that. Benson also seems very durable, so injury isn't a concern for that to change.

He looks like a tank out there. As long as he doesn't fumble the ball and holds up as they smash him into the line, he is pretty much Corey Dillon for the Packers. As Brady and the Patriots showed, when a passing offense gets a tank RB they will ride him. They don't care that he has no explosion and might only pick up 3 yards a clip, as long as it's always 3 yards it works because they're always in 2nd and 3/3rd and 2 situations anyway.

Thanks. Will sit tight on Benson. Appreciate the opinions. BTW, others are Richardson, Ridley, Leshoure and Mathews.

That is when you make a 3 for 1 RB swap and then pick up Williams. Strategize my friend.

I'm a Benson owner and I am perfectly fine hanging on to him. I am also contemplating giving him the start becasue he has a favorable matchup against a terrible N.O. defense, and since Andre Brown is going to split carries with Bradshaw and it appears Fred Jackson may not be ready to play. My starting RB is Turner and the only other option I have is CJ2K, which of course isn't an option at all.

On the plus side, he's Green Bay's running game. On the minus side, Green Bay doesn't have a running game. So far, at least. I need to open a roster spot, have yet to start the guy and unless the situation changes, I won't. My other RBs are leaving him in the dust. His ownership hovers around 98 percent (misery loves company), but he's starting in just 64 percent. Thoughts? Does he get going, or does he continue to tread water or, worse, go downhill? What are other Benson owners thinking and doing with this problem child?

(There is a great pickup who continues to languish on the WW. I don't want to embarrass the other owners by revealing who he is but his ownership is now at 83.45% and climbing.)

Starks is due to come back from his turf toe injury.

Not sure if they will make him the starter, but he will definitely get some of the reps and dig into bensons playing time.

My thought is that Benson's numbers will go down(if that's possible) as a result of this, not up.

I can't imagine a team so deep that the least valuable man on the roster is a workhorse starting RB with no competition for his job on one of the highest scoring teams in the league. You don't have a WR4 or WR5 you can cut?

Thanks. Will sit tight on Benson. Appreciate the opinions. BTW, others are Richardson, Ridley, Leshoure and Mathews.

Why would you keep Ridley or Mathews over Benson?

There is something wrong with your league if that is the case.

Sounds like maybe Ryan Williams....if that is the case, I would seriously consider dropping Benson.

I'ma Benson owner and I'm perfectly happy with his as my 3rd RB and will be starting him this week over Willis. I think GB will still be a pass heavy team at the same time start running the ball more.

Starks is due to come back from his turf toe injury.

Not sure if they will make him the starter, but he will definitely get some of the reps and dig into bensons playing time.

My thought is that Benson's numbers will go down(if that's possible) as a result of this, not up.

Sure it's possible, but were you one of the people that insisted Starks was the breakout RB of the year this year a couple of months ago? There was a thread with people getting really hostile that everyone wasn't hyping the guy as the second coming.

The Packers want to cut Starks. They don't like him. If anyone is going to split carries with Benson it is going to be Alex Green, not Starks. I don't know where this Starks love comes from but I was cracking up reading the stuff people were posting.

What has Starks ever done that people are so hyped on him? I don't get that.

You guys are crazy.. unless you play in a 6 man league he is not droppable, even for williams.

I actually think his touches will go up as GB pass blocking is horrendous and they'll want to take pressure off of Rogers.

From everything I've been reading here in Wisconsin, the Packers really want to run more. I think this week might be a shootout with N.O.. But I wouldn't be surprised by a 65 yards and 3 for 20 rec and a td.

Mike McCarthy acknowledged that he didn't run enough week 1 and that he was intent on betting Benson about 18-20 carries each game.. I'm hanging on to him and even starting him this week.