Sign in to follow this  
thisdman

Doug Martin

Not good if you are a Martin owner. A lot of things are working against him right now. The biggest question is, how much of a factor does Blount play going forward.

I read that the other way around. Besides Philly and Minn Tampa has good RB matchups.

As someone who just moved Martin for D. Thomas, besides a possible workload split, my concerns lie with the tampa offensive line, defense and team as a whole.

Save MJD and maybe Sproles this year, running backs on mediocre to bad teams, that fall behind early, tend not to do well. Unless they are great pass catchers and Tampa has yet to show they know how to use Martin well in that role.

I think the schedule over the next month will provide Tampa plenty of games to be in but they have a very tough stretch where I could see them falling behind early as they did this week to Washington and in part abandoning the run.

Most of us know of Tampas schedule over the next month with KC, NO, @ Minn, @ Oak...that seems pretty good on paper.

Then, IMO, it might get tough. I think they could lose all of these games: San Diego, @ Carolina, Atlanta, @ Denver, Philly, @ New Orleans.. .

That could prove to be a very tough stretch for the 1-3 team...

If Martin is getting tons of touches, and some goal line work, he'lll be fine. If not I think there is some risk for sure. Plus, let's be honest, it's not like the actions of their coach have inspired a lot of confidence that they will figure anything out this season.

Lol this thread is crackin me up! loving the jhud rants, some rofl Stuff. But to be honest, wr/rb is an honest enough mistake for beernuts to make, he knows what position he plays.

About Martin, I have to start this box of garbage the rest of the way so I'm his biggest fan. Hoping the schedule helps him out.

I love jhud's rants too haha. Dude is ripping into "nonuts". But I probably shouldn't say that, because nonuts thinks we are the same person. Lmao what an idiot!!!

Not good if you are a Martin owner. A lot of things are working against him right now. The biggest question is, how much of a factor does Blount play going forward.

No...nine of the Bucs' last 11 fantasy opponents are in the top half of giving up points to the RB position.

The Schiano assertion about Blount seems like coach-speak to me. Blount isn't in Martin's league when it comes to ability. It's not quite the difference between Mathews-Battle, but it isn't too far away from it either. Blount is not a great inside or red-zone runner, so the areas that you would expect a RB of his size to be good at, he's not. IMO, DJ Ware is a bigger threat.

No...nine of the Bucs' last 11 fantasy opponents are in the top half of giving up points to the RB position.

The Schiano assertion about Blount seems like coach-speak to me. Blount isn't in Martin's league when it comes to ability. It's not quite the difference between Mathews-Battle, but it isn't too far away from it either. Blount is not a great inside or red-zone runner, so the areas that you would expect a RB of his size to be good at, he's not. IMO, DJ Ware is a bigger threat.

I'll agree there's a talent disparity but I think that's short changing Blount a little bit.

He averaged 4.2 on 184 carries in 2011 and 5.0 on 200 carries in 2010.

He doesn't have Martin's skill set but he brings something to the table.

The biggest thing holding back all Tampa runners appears to be the Tampa offensive line and play calling.

I just traded Doug for CJ0K. In my flex CJ has too much upside no to take a flier on. This could either work out amazingly or blow up in my face, but I don't think CJ will dissapoint me in the flex position since my expectations are tempered.

I'll agree there's a talent disparity but I think that's short changing Blount a little bit.

He averaged 4.2 on 184 carries in 2011 and 5.0 on 200 carries in 2010.

He doesn't have Martin's skill set but he brings something to the table.

The biggest thing holding back all Tampa runners appears to be the Tampa offensive line and play calling.

I won't disagree with the line or the play calling concerns. However, his "struggles" have come against the two toughest run defenses on his schedule. That's hardly a concern for me, especially since my four-game projections for him were pretty much spot on.

Per Pro Football Focus, the most snaps Blount has seen in any game was Week 4 (12/63, his previous high was six). Now while that may be the beginning of a growing trend, I doubt it. Martin's "elusive rating" is also almost double of what Blount's is. Blount contributes nothing to the passing game, doesn't typically create big runs and has been pulled from GL responsibilities more thn once in his career. I like watching Blount running in the open field - love whn hurdles DBs - but if the line play is as bad right now as we all seem to believe it is, then you need runners who can sometimes create plays on their own. Add it all up and it doesn't sound like Blount has much chance here.

With that said, I am not trying to discount that he will likely see 5-8 carries going forward. But Schiano is not long for his job in the NFL if he decides a RBBC is the answer with his current personnel.

Just traded him straight up for Mathews...expect Jackie Battle to have a big week.

Thats a robbery.

I cant give Martin away.

Thats a robbery.

I cant give Martin away.

offer him to CJ owner...I think it's worth the risk since I highly doubt Doug is your RB 1.

The guy is average, nothing special. He's a three down back that's it. As stated before hes bench depth at this point. I'm done starting this guy as a weekly flex.

Frozenbeernuts, on 04 October 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

Oh you mean is he a bust because you were stupid enough to draft a rookie rb that high? Yeah he probably wont meet your unrealistic expectations on a weekly basis. I mean there is a ton of historical data showing the likelyhood of a rookie rb being a stud right away isnt very good. I would try to explain it but you probably wouldnt understand. Judging by how many posts you have I can assume that you dont know much about fantasy football so I am really not surprised.

Also blaming others for your stupidity is nice way to puss out. You are crying because someone else pumped a player and you bought in.

Yeah...that's it. You don't know anything about FF unless you've been posting on this stupid message board for several years. Damn, kid, you are one stupid azz inbred. I'm sick of seeing you call out everybody like you're something special. STFU...

JHUD.....WAY FUNNY.....I COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT ANY BETTER!!!!

Dumbest question of the week probably, and its only monday.

4 weeks into his career and you are seriously considering whether he is a bust? He is going to be good but that may not be this season. Look at cj spiller. He produced very little his first year and a half in the league. More often than not it takes a player a few years to learn the system and adapt to the nfl level. Glad i have blount on one team (well my rbs are very shallow so having a player able to get a few points is a plus for me).

Are you a real a-hole or do you just play on on annonymous forums? He's obviously asking if he's a bust for this season. Geeez, step up for an a$$ whooping son.

Martin will be okay. His blocking and blitz-pickup ensure he will be on the field all the time. If they didn't have him Freeman would already be dead by now (might be a good thing). The OC just needs to pull his head out of his ass and let the guy get into a rhythm. If they let him rip we'll reap our just rewards for his draft position.

I won't disagree with the line or the play calling concerns. However, his "struggles" have come against the two toughest run defenses on his schedule. That's hardly a concern for me, especially since my four-game projections for him were pretty much spot on.

Per Pro Football Focus, the most snaps Blount has seen in any game was Week 4 (12/63, his previous high was six). Now while that may be the beginning of a growing trend, I doubt it. Martin's "elusive rating" is also almost double of what Blount's is. Blount contributes nothing to the passing game, doesn't typically create big runs and has been pulled from GL responsibilities more thn once in his career. I like watching Blount running in the open field - love whn hurdles DBs - but if the line play is as bad right now as we all seem to believe it is, then you need runners who can sometimes create plays on their own. Add it all up and it doesn't sound like Blount has much chance here.

With that said, I am not trying to discount that he will likely see 5-8 carries going forward. But Schiano is not long for his job in the NFL if he decides a RBBC is the answer with his current personnel.

The elusive rating is not a reason to pick Martin over Blount.

you are comparing an apple to an orange.

Martin may be more elusive. I'll give you that.

Blount has WAY more power.

Martin evades tacklers.

Blount runs over them.

Honestly, if I were the coach I'd find a way to put them both in the game. This looks like a perfect situation for a time share.

just sayin.

The elusive rating is not a reason to pick Martin over Blount.

you are comparing an apple to an orange.

Martin may be more elusive. I'll give you that.

Blount has WAY more power.

Martin evades tacklers.

Blount runs over them.

Honestly, if I were the coach I'd find a way to put them both in the game. This looks like a perfect situation for a time share.

just sayin.

Unfortunately, I disagree with much of what you say here. Power backs are typically the most "elusive" in PFF's formula because they typically break the most tackles. Martin's "elusive ranking" is almost double of Blount's (it's early and Blount doesn't have many carries yet, I'll give you that), but Martin is also getting more yards after contact. This after Blount was PFF's sixth-most elusive RB last season and an offseason in which Blount "rededicated" himself. I'm assuming you haven't watched more than a handful of Martin's runs over the last two games, because I doubt you would be saying he evades tacklers...

Again, I will not argue that Blount should get some work...but if a quicker guy like Martin is struggling behind the Bucs' line, what is a power back like Blount who needs time to build up steam going to do? Blount offers nothing in the passing game, does not block as well as Martin and (I'll say it again) has been replaced at the goal line before because he doesn't always power through the hole.

Once again, if Martin struggles in his upcoming matchups, then I'll admit I'm wrong about him THIS year. However, he is a fine RB and will do just fine in the NFL going forward.

Just traded him away for Torrey Smith.