Sign in to follow this  
CornKobb

San Diego Chargers and Dallas Cowboys

Cowboy fan here but just wondered if it was just me last night watching the game thinking.....why do i have to be tortured again. When it was 24-14 Chargers I could feel the change a coming....

Both of these teams find the strangest and weirdest ways to lose. Whether it was blowing a 24pt lead, unable to get the snap from center last yr for rivers, last week blowing the lead to the saints.

Or the Cowboys......no need to give examples. thousands to choose from.

Just really freaked out at how much they are the same.

I introduce you the San Diego Cowboys. :thumbsdown:

LOL, there coaches are boneheads too. :lol:

Cowboy fan here but just wondered if it was just me last night watching the game thinking.....why do i have to be tortured again. When it was 24-14 Chargers I could feel the change a coming....

Both of these teams find the strangest and weirdest ways to lose. Whether it was blowing a 24pt lead, unable to get the snap from center last yr for rivers, last week blowing the lead to the saints.

Or the Cowboys......no need to give examples. thousands to choose from.

Just really freaked out at how much they are the same.

I introduce you the San Diego Cowboys. :thumbsdown:

LOL, there coaches are boneheads too. :lol:

No big surprise.

Most everything Garrett knows about football and coaching he credits Turner for teaching him.

Some differences between the 2 teams:

Dallas has a defense.

SD is a better place to live.

Dallas has more talented receiving corps.

Difference between QB's? Tony Romo likes women.

Dallas has a defense.

Ha, think you are pretty dead on here. But I'm still not sure I would not trade Red Doofus for Norv. Last year that clown mismanaged 4 games that led to defeat, and now he is back at it. For someone who is supposed to be a football Jesus - he sux.

Dallas has a defense.

Rivers is married, has been for a while now. And he's been known to win an occasional playoff game.

Rivers is married, has been for a while now. And he's been known to win an occasional playoff game.

I've seen Rivers "wife" :o . He's better off with men.

Romo has had prime cuts.

I've seen Rivers "wife" :o . He's better off with men.

Romo has had prime cuts.

On this I will not disagree...

Both of these teams find the strangest and weirdest ways to lose.

truth.

there's always some breakdown or other. it's exasperating.

I been saying this to friends. Both are perennial look good on paper teams, have a few games that fool you into thinking they've turned the page, yet always same disappointing results. Neither team lacks talent, they just can't put it all together.

I been saying this to friends. Both are perennial look good on paper teams, have a few games that fool you into thinking they've turned the page, yet always same disappointing results. Neither team lacks talent, they just can't put it all together.

meh--dallas has never looked good on paper--not recently, anyway. they haven't had a defense for the last 5 years, and the only top-tier player on their offense during that time has been witten. they haven't had a talent advantage over anyone since about 1997.

meh--dallas has never looked good on paper--not recently, anyway. they haven't had a defense for the last 5 years, and the only top-tier player on their offense during that time has been witten. they haven't had a talent advantage over anyone since about 1997.

I disagree with you. Both teams have talented players on both sides of the ball but it always comes down to the ineptitude of their coaching staffs. Till they fix those deficiencies, they'll continue to be just paper champions.

They had Roy Williams.

Just bcoz Clowny gave up a 1st and a 3rd round draft pick, and signed RW to a $54 million dollar extension did not make this fool a top-tier player, least not while with us. What it did make for was one of the worst transactions in the history of Dallas Cowboys football. Williams was frustrating - making the impossible catch look easy and making the easy catch a drop. Roy Williams was a turd here, a big fat one.

Its all about Clowney, Skeletor, Jerrah, Al Davis jr, etc

As a Diehard Cowboy fan I used to deal with his stupid comments because I knew he would spend $ to bring in some really good players but have taken myself from a Diehard 10 down to a Fair Weather 5 Cowboys fan. Should have done it a long time ago. It happened Monday night this year vs the Bears. I am sick of the 193-194 record since 1997. Sick of Clowney talking about a Championship this year on Tuesday of this week.

Yall may need to help me but how many screwups has he had at the WR position???? Here are a few. Dont know the exact years.

He gives up too many draft picks etc. Obsessed with WR.

Roy Williams....we know the results

Terrell Owens...really good stats....ruined the Locker Room, still has yet to win a playoff game.

Joey Galloway....passed his prime...I swear Jerrah gave up alot of picks for him in the late 90's

Rocket Ismail....passed his prime...early 2000s

Anthony Miller...passed his prime...gave up picks. formally a Charger and Bronco with Elway in 1995.

Dez Bryant....jury still out....barely. beat up momma, etc etc etc. wrong routes, dropped balls, out of shape, emense talent.

Terry Glenn...was ok I guess with bledsoe but nothing special.

cmon...I am sure there are more WR screwups by Clowney. So sick of these Goofballs. Havent been to a game since 2007.

YUK, vomit. LOL. OUT. rant over. :overhead:

Both QBs are 2nd tier QBs. Can they win a SB? Yes, with a great team but they cannot carry a team to the SB.

Joey Galloway....passed his prime...I swear Jerrah gave up alot of picks for him in the late 90's

The head jackass gave up 2 first rounders for Galloway. The Seahawks used those picks on Shuan Alexander and Koren Robinson. :wall:

The head jackass gave up 2 first rounders for Galloway. The Seahawks used those picks on Shuan Alexander and Koren Robinson. :wall:

:doublethumbsup: Koren Robinson. I remember that fantasy tease. He had that pink shield on his helmet.

Its simultaneously poor work by the general manager and coach. These teams have talent but never enough depth and they both ignored their defensive and offensive lines for years to add glamour boys. The coaches cannot seem to make optimal use of the talent they have. It could be worse look at the damage Holmgren has down to two franchises now in Seattle and Cleveland, at least there is talent on the roster. It's taken Seattle something like 600 roster moves to yield the team we currently have and we still are have no WR's, a weak O-line and suspect QB play along with depth issues at LB and D-line.

AJ Smith in particular got a free pass for a couple of good early drafts, and Norv is just like Wade Phillips decent to good coordinators but helpless as a head coach.

With the Cowboys its all Jerry Jones holding them back, he cant find value late in drafts and gives up too many late round picks for glamour early picks leaving the roster thin after the starters. Then Garret is basically undermined by his willingness to cave in to every one of JJ's demands.

I would be willing to bet the right hire in San Diego could make a dramatic turn around with one good draft, although that team is always going to be limited by Rivers immaturity. The Cowboys have no hope, Jerry Jones ego is too big and will not let him step aside, I would feel bad but I hate the presumption behind "America's Team" and hope Jerry Jones lives a long, long time.

:doublethumbsup: Koren Robinson. I remember that fantasy tease. He had that pink shield on his helmet.

Hands of stone and a drinking problem. Otherwise he had a lot going for him.

I'm starting Romo this week so hopefully he can take care of the ball against Carolina.

Just bcoz Clowny gave up a 1st and a 3rd round draft pick, and signed RW to a $54 million dollar extension did not make this fool a top-tier player, least not while with us. What it did make for was one of the worst transactions in the history of Dallas Cowboys football. Williams was frustrating - making the impossible catch look easy and making the easy catch a drop. Roy Williams was a turd here, a big fat one.

Just to be clear:

I was being ironic when I brought up Roy Williams. I consider him a huge bust for the Cowboys.

I could have used one of those cute emoticons to make my tone clear, but I'm allergic to them.

Sorry.

Both QBs are 2nd tier QBs. Can they win a SB? Yes, with a great team but they cannot carry a team to the SB.

Neither of them are big game QBs, they both seem to sh!t the bed when the time comes. Interceptions, fumbles,...........

Neither of them are big game QBs, they both seem to sh!t the bed when the time comes. Interceptions, fumbles,...........

Rivers used to come up big in the past when playing Peyton Manning's Colts. He's regressed the past couple years.

As a Diehard Cowboy fan I used to deal with his stupid comments because I knew he would spend $ to bring in some really good players but have taken myself from a Diehard 10 down to a Fair Weather 5 Cowboys fan. Should have done it a long time ago. It happened Monday night this year vs the Bears. I am sick of the 193-194 record since 1997. Sick of Clowney talking about a Championship this year on Tuesday of this week.

Yall may need to help me but how many screwups has he had at the WR position???? Here are a few. Dont know the exact years.

He gives up too many draft picks etc. Obsessed with WR.

Roy Williams....we know the results

Terrell Owens...really good stats....ruined the Locker Room, still has yet to win a playoff game.

Rocket Ismail....passed his prime...early 2000s

Anthony Miller...passed his prime...gave up picks. formally a Charger and Bronco with Elway in 1995.

Dez Bryant....jury still out....barely. beat up momma, etc etc etc. wrong routes, dropped balls, out of shape, emense talent.

Terry Glenn...was ok I guess with bledsoe but nothing special.

cmon...I am sure there are more WR screwups by Clowney. So sick of these Goofballs. Havent been to a game since 2007.

YUK, vomit. LOL. OUT. rant over. :overhead:

Oh yeah.....ole Clowney signed KEYSHAWN JOHNSON too during the parcells years....knew there was another WR Lovefest gone wrong. vomit.

Oh yeah.....ole Clowney signed KEYSHAWN JOHNSON too during the parcells years....knew there was another WR Lovefest gone wrong. vomit.

keyshawn was one of bill's guys, brought in with testaverde. was signed for not a ton of money, and produced 141 rec, 1800+ yds, and 12 TD in 2 years. and that was with mediocre QB play. terry glenn? same thing. no huge investment, and solid returns.

some of the other mentions are strange. ismail "past his prime"? he had the best season of his career with the cowboys. then he got hurt, and was never the same. joey galloway was a premier deep threat who blew out his ACL in his first game as a cowboy. when he finally got healthy, his QBs were quincy carter and washed up minor league pitchers. hard to put up any numbers that way. he played 8 more years after leaving the cowboys, and put up 3 more 1000+ yard seasons. helps to have a QB.

as i see it, the only real busts were williams and miller. overall, DAL didn't get results commensurate with their investments, but there's a lot more to it than just "they didn't perform, so they shouldn't have been brought in in the first place."

the game is more complicated than that.

In fairness, NO QB can carry a team to a Super Bowl. Way too many other parts of the machine have to function correctly for that to happen. Someone has to block, catch the ball, play defense, kick the field goals, make the calls, etc, etc.

I think both QBs are capable of being a part of a Super Bowl team and doing their fair share.

In fairness, NO QB can carry a team to a Super Bowl. Way too many other parts of the machine have to function correctly for that to happen. Someone has to block, catch the ball, play defense, kick the field goals, make the calls, etc, etc.

I think both QBs are capable of being a part of a Super Bowl team and doing their fair share.

1 Example: A. Rodgers carried the GB SB team to the SB. No way Romo or Rivers win with that team. HTH

1 Example: A. Rodgers carried the GB SB team to the SB. No way Romo or Rivers win with that team. HTH

Hmmm - so the great play of the defense with all the turnovers and sacks didnt help? His blocking that gave him all day to throw didnt help? The WRs getting open and making plays didnt help? Huh? Sure, Rodgers played at a very high level but so did the TEAM. Romo, Rivers or any other professional QB would have probably made out just fine with that GB team. They were HOT at the right time and the whole group played great. Thats what I saw, anyways.

:unsure:

keyshawn was one of bill's guys, brought in with testaverde. was signed for not a ton of money, and produced 141 rec, 1800+ yds, and 12 TD in 2 years. and that was with mediocre QB play. terry glenn? same thing. no huge investment, and solid returns.

some of the other mentions are strange. ismail "past his prime"? he had the best season of his career with the cowboys. then he got hurt, and was never the same. joey galloway was a premier deep threat who blew out his ACL in his first game as a cowboy. when he finally got healthy, his QBs were quincy carter and washed up minor league pitchers. hard to put up any numbers that way. he played 8 more years after leaving the cowboys, and put up 3 more 1000+ yard seasons. helps to have a QB.

as i see it, the only real busts were williams and miller. overall, DAL didn't get results commensurate with their investments, but there's a lot more to it than just "they didn't perform, so they shouldn't have been brought in in the first place."

the game is more complicated than that.

Thanks for the info, Keyshawn wasnt a total disaster by the statline you provided but neither was Owens statline and they still never won a PLAYOFF GAME. I may have been a little hard on him but just seem to remember it wasnt a very good fit with him. Seemed to be some friction which is no big surprise with ....throw me the damn ball aka KJ.

My main point is Jerrahs obsession with giving way TOO much up for his lovefest with WRs over the years. Any way people want to spin it the result is still a 194-194 record since 97 with One playoff win and that win was without Terrell Owens who has the best statline of all.

ps....Good points Siren. :thumbsup:

[quote name='CornKobb' date='25 October 2012 - 03:02 PM' timestamp='1351173612' post='4878876'

My main point is Jerrahs obsession with giving way TOO much up for his lovefest with WRs over the years. Any way people want to spin it the result is still a 194-194 record since 97 with One playoff win and that win was without Terrell Owens who has the best statline of all.

i'll completely agree that DAL hasn't been tremendously successful bringing in outside WRs, and your point about overall record brings us back around to the thread topic. during that timeframe, dallas had 2 decent QBs--aikman (at the end of his career) and romo. and much of the time, they were surrounded by an incomplete team--a couple of big names, but no supporting cast and no depth.

to my mind, it takes a complete team to be successful in the NFL. sometimes you can succeed if you have either a godlike defense (BAL) or a godlike offense (GB, NO). but consistent success comes from balance. after the super bowl run, dallas has never really had that.

i don't know about SD.

i'll completely agree that DAL hasn't been tremendously successful bringing in outside WRs, and your point about overall record brings us back around to the thread topic. during that timeframe, dallas had 2 decent QBs--aikman (at the end of his career) and romo. and much of the time, they were surrounded by an incomplete team--a couple of big names, but no supporting cast and no depth.

to my mind, it takes a complete team to be successful in the NFL. sometimes you can succeed if you have either a godlike defense (BAL) or a godlike offense (GB, NO). but consistent success comes from balance. after the super bowl run, dallas has never really had that.

i don't know about SD.

Totally agree with you Siren....all very good and true points.

I was just adding some extra sarcasm as a Cowboys fan...fair weather now by bringing up Jerrahs obsession with the WR position and how it didnt work giving up lots of draft picks for underperforming, past there prime, wrs.

Cheers Siren, :cheers:

The thing that bothers me about our lack of wr success here is not that we have never replaced Mike Irvin. What bothers me is the lengths we've gone to and the commodities we've given up to do so - and failed. Trading 1st rounders for Galloway, dealing for Williams and then extending his ass for another $54 mil, and then blowing picks on the likes of Bryant. Clowny has wasting so many valuable resources to find the next Playmaker and in doing so has crippled this team. To his credit he has not only focked up the wr position - he has gone to great lenghts to screw up other key positions too. But for sure we have wasted so much and gotten so little back in looking for a star wr. Just think what a real GM with a focking clue could of done with all the resources Clowny blew on that?