Sign in to follow this  
kujerry

how are trades handled in your league.

I was wondering how trades are handles in your leagues. I have been in a league with a bunch of good friends for 8 yrs. In the past trades were send and accepted with good nature, some fair and some one sided and I can only recall one that had colussion all over it, but over all good trades. This league averages about 4 to 5 trades a year. but it seems this year people are voting no for no reason. if you ask them they say they will always vote no. they say they vote no because someone voted no on their trade or because no one will trade with them. Some owners usually offer stupid trades and then get made when its not accepted so they decide to vote no on every trade wheather its a good fair trade or a lop sided trade. It is left up for a league vote and it only takes half the league to vote no for a veto of the trade. but now everyone is voting no, just to vote no which is crazy. How does your leagues handle trades and what is a good way to make it fair.

This might just be me, but I would never be involved in a league where the other members of the league could veto a trade. The commish should be the only person to deny a trade. There is too much on the line (my league has a $2,000 prize pool) and owners can veto a trade to benefit themselves which is wrong.

In our league, owners agree to a trade, it is sent the commissioner and he approves it or denies. That is it. We also limit transactions to put a premium on the draft and to keep roster integrity. You are only allotted 10 moves per season. This year, so far, I am at 9. In the 10 years of our league this is the most I have used. I hate leagues where guys make 20, 30 or even 40 moves. Add/drops to play match-up's etc. New defense every week or whatever. You drafted a team now go out and win with it. Rant over!

I play in a friends/family league and its setup for voting to veto [over half the league must vote no to veto the trade]. Its actually never happened before. Theres always one person who will vote no because it doesnt directly benefit his team. Its not a high rollers / cut throat kind of league. But I can see how it could be an issue in one of those formats.

I would never be in a league that allows other owners a veto on trades. They don't have that in the NFL, do they?

In our league, owners agree to a trade, it is sent the commissioner and he approves it or denies. That is it.

Add in that if the commissioner is involved it goes to a three member league panel to approve (if the trade is between the commissioner and one of the panel members the other two must approve it) and you have how I run both of mine.

In a friends and family league, a simple "WTF?" is all that should be needed, if anything, when a crazy trade comes down the pike. Our rules prohibit vetoes. They don't prohibit humiliation. The second method seems to work pretty well.

Can we get "veto" added to the obscenity filter? As in "Should I #### this trade?"

In a friends and family league, a simple "WTF?" is all that should be needed, if anything, when a crazy trade comes down the pike. Our rules prohibit vetoes. They don't prohibit humiliation. The second method seems to work pretty well.

Can we get "veto" added to the obscenity filter? As in "Should I #### this trade?"

Only reason a trade should be vetoed is if there is collusion or one team in last place just decides to give up their best players to someone. The commissioner should be the only one able to veto. If he wasnt then whats the point in having a commissioner?

Only reason a trade should be vetoed is if there is collusion or one team in last place just decides to give up their best players to someone. The commissioner should be the only one able to veto. If he wasnt then whats the point in having a commissioner?

I understand. But how often does this really happen? Is there some sort of "collusion" epidemic going on that I'm missing? Yeah, we've had last place owners dump their entire rosters in frustration. But the next day they sober up and we give them back their players.

What's the point of having a commissioner? Aside from buying the beer and food for the draft, our commissioner kind of wonders the same thing. Actually, there's a lot more to the job than vetoing stuff.

I think it's dumb to allow owners to vote on trades. The only time a trade should be overturned is when there is crystal clear evidence of collusion, in which case the commissioner should give the boot to both owners. Owners will always vote for their own self interests. If a "questionable" trade takes place where one or more owners blow up your phone with WTF messages, it's the commissioner's job to identify what the two trading owners where thinking and then decide whether or not they were colluding. If there is no collusion, let it fly.

Last week there was a trade in my league where Team A (1-6) traded ADP and Mike Wallace to Team B (4-3) for Sproles and Josh Gordon. On the surface, this seemed like the most lopsided trade of all time, and immediately the WTF messages started pouring in demanding me to overturn the trade. My league is a high-scoring keeper keague. PPR, punt return yards, all kinds of stuff is counted, and keepers cost a draft pick 2 rounds earlier than where they were drafted the year before.

After doing a little research, it turned out that Sproles and ADP have nearly the same points per game over the last 2 years and Sproles would be a 10th round keeper pick next year whereas ADP could not be kept. Wallace and Gordon were a little farther apart stat wise, but nothing rediculous. Wallace would be a 1st round keeper next year and Gordon a 13th rounder.

So as it turned out, Team A received less production in a losing situation this year, but made huge gains towards next year's draft, and Team B sacrificed keepers next year to go for it all this year. Had I allowed owners to vote on this trade, it would have surely been overturned. Later on two of the pissedoff owners admitted they were simply mad because they didn't make a play for ADP or Wallace and someone else did.

Actually, there's a lot more to the job than vetoing stuff.

Yes there is.

For one thing, I do approve trades. This is for the exclusive purpose of making sure teams are not trying to stack up one, or fire sale.

Allowing Owners to vote is to ask for trouble. For the purpose of eliminating stacking and fire sales, it allows for pettiness and vindictiveness. It also limits the type of bold swings that adventurous, risk-taking Owners love.

In addition to governing trades, my Commissioner duties include:

- policing for tanking and standings manipulation, esp. as the playoffs approach

- correcting for illegal line-ups and making last minute changes when guys cannot make it to their computers

- establishing, maintaining and updating the Constitution

- polling Owners for important decisions in the run up to the season

- organizing the Draft, finding a location for it, contacting Owners, occassionally drafting for no-shows

- building an in-season Draft Board to track traded picks and posting photographs of it (I really should do this as an online .doc)

- finding a Sticker Girl to call the tune at the DRAFT, and arranging to get her a bottle of wine as compensation

- leading a discussion/voting at the Draft in regards to potential rule changes

- every year I host a mid-season party for all guys in my three hometown pools and my touch football team. In the past I have cooked steak, lobster, crab and other treats. This party is a massive coordinated effort that includes prizes, poker, a touch football game and a massive screen using a DPM.

- chasing guys to pay their league fees for the delinquents who didn't pay at the Draft (usually about half to a third of the guys)

- doing the post-season math and making payments

- hosting an NFL playoff Fire-and-Forget Fantasy Pool DRAFT on the Friday before the playoffs begin and loading these line-ups into one of the online Pools

Of these jobs, chasing guys for money is the worst.

we have never had a trade vetoed in 7 yrs. this yr a trade got vetoed and it caused a fire storm the owner of the vetoed trade vote no on everything now and the other owners vote no also. I guess its going to have to change next yr.

League im commissioner in we do have a vote. I set the veto to 6(12 team league) so it would take 7 to veto a trade but then it comes to me for approval or uphold the veto. I have told people that the only way a trade will actually be vetoed is if it is clear dumping players. You might ask well why have a veto vote? Because it makes people feel better and they feel like they can have input.

I play in another league where he set the veto # to 4 so it would only take 5 vetoes to veto a trade. Its also a 12 team league. We just had a situation 2 weeks ago that was horseshit. One team was playing another and needed to win. It was before week 7 and the guy with the better record had ton of guys on bye. So the opponent offered him Julio Jones for Andre Johnson so he would have another player missing. So after the trade sitting there for 4 hours he finally took it. After the trade was taken and guys called the Julio owner an idiot he posted on message board that it was sent by accident and asked people to veto it, along with texts to most people. I did not veto it cause it was horse ###### and guy got caught trying to mess with someone and then changed his mind. It did get vetoed down and went to the commissioner. The commissioner happened to be the guy who was getting Julio. I told him to make the trade go through. In the end he upheld the veto.

I think I have this figured out now.

In leagues with kids or spouses, immature types, owners who are out of touch (can't be reached), open leagues with unknowns, provide the veto.

If you know the owners, they're responsible, mature, respond to emails or calls, they respond to emails, who always set their lineups, then NO VETO (with option to directly contact the commish if collusion is really suspected).

So, depends on the league.

we have never had a trade vetoed in 7 yrs. this yr a trade got vetoed and it caused a fire storm the owner of the vetoed trade vote no on everything now and the other owners vote no also. I guess its going to have to change next yr.

Just curious, what was the trade?

I think I have this figured out now.

In leagues with kids or spouses, immature types, owners who are out of touch (can't be reached), open leagues with unknowns, provide the veto.

If you know the owners, they're responsible, mature, respond to emails or calls, they respond to emails, who always set their lineups, then NO VETO (with option to directly contact the commish if collusion is really suspected).

So, depends on the league.

That is pretty much it. But you have to set your veto # high enough to make it hard to get it vetoed.

I had a trade vetoed last week because people thought i was giving up to much then if it had gone through Id have won my match but instead I lost. Then I had a trade vetoed today I gave up Aaron Rodger and Alfred Morris for Stafford and Ray Rice then the owner realized Rodgers and Morris are on bye next week and convinced everyone to veto.

I really don't like the whole veto thing. People are admitting they veto because they would rather go against me with Rodgers and Morris on bye or because they've known the other guy longer. I thought vetoing was for collusion but what do I know.

Has anyone tried that yahoo trade regulator thing that you pay a little for and they handle 'trade fairness'?

There is only one way an one way only for trades to be handled. So listen up and read very carefully, multiple times if need be. It's a 2 step process..

1. Have a vote. Doesn't matter how many u set, 6,5, half, all, whatever. Just set an amount of objections needed to have the trade go to COMMISSIONER review.

2. If the set objections are met, it goes to the commissioner. Now here's the most important part. The only guideline for the commish to follow.

IF IT IS NOT OBVIOUS COLLUSION, THE TRADE GOES THROUGH.

Recap: Trade goes to vote. If voted down, the commish reviews and if it is not collusion, the trade is accepted.

This is the only way. It requires only a reputable commissioner.

I'm the commish in my league and I don't even wait for other owners to vote on a trade. That's stupid to me. They could vote veto just because the trade makes a team better than theirs.

So when I see a trade that doesn't look collusive I just push it through.