Sign in to follow this  
Matthew's Berry's

Starting _____ over QB Brees

My buddy Brees and Dalton. Believe it or not, in our league Dalton has actually outscored Brees 5 to 4. I excluded the bye weeks, even though AD went off during Brees' bye week, whereas Brees didn't do so good during Dalton' off week.

Dalton vs Oak

Brees vs SF

I would have to go Dalton this week. I have to choose between Ryan and Luck every week, going mostly w/ Ryan, so I know the feeling!

Good luck

Never bench Brees period. When the saints get down Brees goes off.

They will be down.

Dalton is going to have an average day.

Why bench Brees? That is stupid. How'd he do in the playoffs last year?

I shoulda started RG3 instead. But how do you bench Brees, no matter who the opponent is?

In the same boat. If I had to do it over, I'd make the same decision unfortunately. Brees is unbenchable unless Colston, Graham & Moore are all ruled out.

Why bench Brees? That is stupid. How'd he do in the playoffs last year?

Well, if you must know....he threw for 464 yards and 4 TD's against San Fran in the playoffs.

Well, if you must know....he threw for 464 yards and 4 TD's against San Fran in the playoffs.

Sounds good to me! Any other Brees owners hoping for a lil deja vu?

In the same boat. If I had to do it over, I'd make the same decision unfortunately. Brees is unbenchable unless Colston, Graham & Moore are all ruled out.

This is the first year I've taken a QB early and I have to say it's a nice feeling to know that's one position you never have to worry about. Brees is always going to do well, so it's just a matter of leaving some points on the bench, but it's not like you are going to get this sub-average output from him. Even if the opposing QB does blow up on you, which has happened to me plenty of times, Brees scores enough that you can make up for it with other positions without worry.

I might take a QB in the 1st round every year depending on my draft slot. I picked late this year so I actually didn't have a choice anyway. It was either Brees or take CJ0k, DMC or Murray, who were all on my DND lists at their ADPs. I made the decision to just take Brees every time, and then having taken a QB early, I would just take Graham/Gronk everytime they came up for me in the 2nd. Through the first 6 weeks or so it didn't look that great, but now I don't think I've had a fantasy loss in 2 weeks. All my teams are in playoff contention, all but 1 would be in the playoffs today if it started today, and I am 4th highest or better in points in all leagues. I hope other people don't catch onto this drafting style, although admittedly if I had a shot at him I'd definitely take Arian Foster.

Edit-Actually this is my second year. A few leagues last year I took Vick and that backfired, but this year I went in aiming for a QB in the first round and was smarter about it (wouldn't touch Cam at all).

Edited by Serpent

After having Brady blow up against me this week in a must-win scenario, I need Brees to replicate last year's playoff game. Also have Graham in that league so Jimmy can duplicate his stats as well!

Who Dat Drew!

Some girls like it in the butt. That's all I have to say. Never bench Brees.

It comes down to numbers - and your gut. Yielding an average 83 ppg in standard scoring, Oakland's defense is FF's most generous D. At about 50 ppg, SF's D is the most stingy.

Brees is averaging 23.5 ppg this season. Dalton is averaging 19 ppg. Brees topped out at 31 against Tampa. His low game was 16 against Denver. Dalton has ranged between 27 (Cleveland) and 8 (Pittsburgh). Over the past three weeks, Dalton has 66 points to 60 for Brees. But depending on your scoring system, the mileage here might vary.

Going by the stat line, starting Dalton isn't a completely crazy notion. It's pretty much a wash based on the numbers. Which leaves us with "never bench your studs" potentially tipping the scales towards Brees. But it's ultimately a gut call based on your situation, the strength of your opponent's roster, the results (if any) from Thursday night and your need to win. If you determine a low end performance by Brees just isn't going to do it for you this week, your best option is to go with Dalton.

It comes down to numbers - and your gut. Yielding an average 83 ppg in standard scoring, Oakland's defense is FF's most generous D. At about 50 ppg, SF's D is the most stingy.

Brees is averaging 23.5 ppg this season. Dalton is averaging 19 ppg. Brees topped out at 31 against Tampa. His low game was 16 against Denver. Dalton has ranged between 27 (Cleveland) and 8 (Pittsburgh). Over the past three weeks, Dalton has 66 points to 60 for Brees. But depending on your scoring system, the mileage here might vary.

Going by the stat line, starting Dalton isn't a completely crazy notion. It's pretty much a wash based on the numbers. Which leaves us with "never bench your studs" potentially tipping the scales towards Brees. But it's ultimately a gut call based on your situation, the strength of your opponent's roster, the results (if any) from Thursday night and your need to win. If you determine a low end performance by Brees just isn't going to do it for you this week, your best option is to go with Dalton.

Exactly. I have a tough opponent that already had Brady, dez and Ridley do well. dalton or bust for me this week. Met it that way on tues and not looking back. I'm a never bench studs guy but situation dictates this one.

I'm on the other side of the coin. I benched the 49ers DST because they are facing Brees. However, I was fortunate enough to acquire the Seahags DST a few weeks ago for just such an occasion. ;)

And for those banking on Dalton to have a monster game vs. OAK - I'd be a little wary of that. I'd anticipate a heavy dose of Carson Palmer's favorite play - The Pick 6. Bengals will go up early turning Dalton into a game-manager, limiting his stats to something like 200/1-2 TDs. Brees already has those stats when he rolls out of bed on Sundays.

The only two results of benching Brees for Dalton are extremely lucky or extremely stupid.