Sign in to follow this  
jkil22

Due to Conference and Divisions a 5-8 team is making playoffs while an 8-5 misses the boat

We have 2 Conferences and 4 divisions. Winners of each division makes the playoffs and a wild card from each conference, this year that means a 8-5 isn't making the playoffs while a 5-8 team will. To put salt in the wound the 8-5 team has the most overall points in the league. Ouch.

I know some leagues have a exception where the last wild card spot would go to a team if it happens be the team that is the overall point leader in the league but would otherwise wise miss the playoffs due to their record, might suggest that as a new rule going forward.

How many teams in the league? This is the price u pay with a 16 game season and 4 division..

12 teams total, this is the first time we ever did 4 divisions, hope we don't lose the guy over the results. The 6 bottom teams play in a 'ladder' so hope he wins that and we have a small payout each week for 'high score of the week', I'll have to check to see if and how many times he won that.

We have 2 Conferences and 4 divisions. Winners of each division makes the playoffs and a wild card from each conference, this year that means a 8-5 isn't making the playoffs while a 5-8 team will. To put salt in the wound the 8-5 team has the most overall points in the league. Ouch.

I know some leagues have a exception where the last wild card spot would go to a team if it happens be the team that is the overall point leader in the league but would otherwise wise miss the playoffs due to their record, might suggest that as a new rule going forward.

There's your problem. That's not a wild card, that's top 2 records per conference.

There's your problem. That's not a wild card, that's top 2 records per conference.

Hmmm, isn't that what a wild card is?

Sort of. Last week the No. 1 and No. 3 ranked teams qualified for the playoffs, while the No. 2 team didn't . The # 1 and # 3 have the two best records but are in the same division .

Hmmm, isn't that what a wild card is?

I misread what you typed and I typed, but either way the point I was trying to make is wild cards should go to the best records.

Thanks for posting. I was wondering how your league turned out this year.

My pleasure brody. It's almost like this forum is the place for fantasy football and nfl discussion.

keep it how it is, if its good enough for the nfl its good enough for your league. lol i hope the 5-8 guy goes on a run in playoffs

I'm in the same boat, with a similar league set up. Will end up 7-6, leading league in points, but will miss the playoffs while two 6-7 teams will make it in.

I've always thought that some consideration should be given to teams that rack up points, but for whatever reason (mostly bad luck) end up with poor W-L records. In a 6 team conference, top records in each division should get in, with the wildcard going to whichever remaining team has the most total points.

In one of my leagues, which also happens to be my strongest team. i lead the league in points for against and am about to go 5-8... It has been the worst year I have ever had of any team. Just about every week whichever team I played put up a high score against me and then revert back to normal the week after.

I have had 5 teams put their highest total up for the year against me... I get squat for being the best team!!!

There is a team with 9 wins and has scored 250 points less than I have for the season. team in my division ahead of me with 7 wins and has beaten me twice, his 2 highest scores for the year are against me... I have outscored him by 214 points this year...

Just completely pissed off about how bullshit that is. How does the team with the most points not make the playoffs?

It is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. The only way to judge which team is the best is by who scores the most points. WE have no control over how many are scored against us.

I am sick of straight head to head leagues, it rewards mediocrity.

i may quit this league because I am getting nothing for being the point leader. My friends laugh, make fun of me, and say it's sour grapes... Fvck them I worked to hard all year and paid good money to have the best team and get screwed like this.

In one of my leagues, which also happens to be my strongest team. i lead the league in points for against and am about to go 5-8... It has been the worst year I have ever had of any team. Just about every week whichever team I played put up a high score against me and then revert back to normal the week after.

I have had 5 teams put their highest total up for the year against me... I get squat for being the best team!!!

There is a team with 9 wins and has scored 250 points less than I have for the season. team in my division ahead of me with 7 wins and has beaten me twice, his 2 highest scores for the year are against me... I have outscored him by 214 points this year...

Just completely pissed off about how bullshit that is. How does the team with the most points not make the playoffs?

It is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. The only way to judge which team is the best is by who scores the most points. WE have no control over how many are scored against us.

I am sick of straight head to head leagues, it rewards mediocrity.

i may quit this league because I am getting nothing for being the point leader. My friends laugh, make fun of me, and say it's sour grapes... Fvck them I worked to hard all year and paid good money to have the best team and get screwed like this.

Sour grapes.

i will more than likely lose to go to 5-8 (unless i get 35 or so from garcon+bradshaw) and there are several other teams with better records that will probably miss due to top team in each division getting automatic entry. like the NFL, it's not very fair. :dunno:

I'm 8-4, (3rd in the league), 3rd in points.

I'm going against my division rival who is 7-3 (4th in the league), and 2nd in total points.

Whoever loses is out, as our division rival is 11-2, and number 1 in total points.

So you have two conferences with two divisions. you should have set this up like the nfl.

winner of each division and wild cards being determined by best records. With a tie breaker that factors head to head, conf/div play and points with a coin or some device to finally break the tie.

The problem is that people have no idea what wild card means. Top 2 from each division is not a wild card. The wild means that they can come from any division, so the best record that didnt win the division wins the wild card. There should only be a losing team in the playoffs if that team won the division.

You and your team suck and you deserve to miss the playoffs.

Ur mother sucks!!! Ur team blows like ur mother...

Did not ask for your.02. you stuck your nose into my business now stick it out...

You make stupid comments about my team. how does the team with most points for suck?

Explain this to me moron!!!

So you have two conferences with two divisions. you should have set this up like the nfl.

winner of each division and wild cards being determined by best records. With a tie breaker that factors head to head, conf/div play and points with a coin or some device to finally break the tie.

The major problem with head to head is that, unlike the NFL, you can't control how many points you "allow" to be scored against you. It's totally out of your hands, and as we see every year, there are countless teams that are loaded with talent, crush the league in points, but still end up at 6-7 or 7-6 and out in the cold. People shrug and say it's just bad luck, but they're the same people that then turn around, boast about their own record, and try to claim that this game is mostly skill. Can't have it both ways.

I still love the head to head format, because let's be honest, it's a lot more fun to play against people, develop rivalries, root for other teams to win and help you in the standings, and so on. And I have no problem using head to head records to award division titles and/or bye weeks. But leagues should also have a safety net of sorts to make sure that unlucky point leaders aren't shafted. In my opinion, if you didn't win your division, then fock your record, and the wildcard(s) should be awarded to whoever has the strongest team...and the way to gauge a team's strength in fantasy is not head-to-head, but points scored.

This is why we did away with Div./Conf.

What sense does it make to even have them?

Straight up h2h with record & then total points scored (tie breakers are pts. against & record against) for rankings thru week 13.

I can't think of a single reason to have Div./Conf.'s

This is why we did away with Div./Conf. What sense does it make to even have them? Straight up h2h with record & then total points scored (tie breakers are pts. against & record against) for rankings thru week 13. I can't think of a single reason to have Div./Conf.'s

It's good to know you're pleased with your league's format. And this, ultimately, is all that really matters. Many of us can, however, find more than a single reason to split our leagues into multiple conferences. In our 12-teamer, for instance, you play each team in your conference twice - three games to start and three to end the season - and every team in the other two conferences once. Prior to adopting this system, you played everyone once - 11 games. The remaining games on a team's schedule were determined by luck of the draw. After we had a year where the top teams wound up knocking each other off in these randomly selected season-ending games, we could clearly see we needed to go with something that made more sense.

With everyone now playing everyone on a more equal basis, we've repeatedly seen the deserving teams get the byes and the playoff spots. And those final three in-conference games are now hugely important. No system is perfect. And just as you like what you have, the conference thing is not only working for us, it makes sense. But, not to imply that this was your intent, we would never suggest or claim that our way is the only way.

It's good to know you're pleased with your league's format. And this, ultimately, is all that really matters. Many of us can, however, find more than a single reason to split our leagues into multiple conferences. In our 12-teamer, for instance, you play each team in your conference twice - three games to start and three to end the season - and every team in the other two conferences once. Prior to adopting this system, you played everyone once - 11 games. The remaining games on a team's schedule were determined by luck of the draw. After we had a year where the top teams wound up knocking each other off in these randomly selected season-ending games, we could clearly see we needed to go with something that made more sense.

With everyone now playing everyone on a more equal basis, we've repeatedly seen the deserving teams get the byes and the playoff spots. And those final three in-conference games are now hugely important. No system is perfect. And just as you like what you have, the conference thing is not only working for us, it makes sense. But, not to imply that this was your intent, we would never suggest or claim that our way is the only way.

This is the same system we have set up: 3 divisions with 4 teams in each. This year one division has been the worst with the best teamin it at 6-6 but may lose to his divisional opponent who is 5-7. So we could have a divisional winner at 6-7 and he gets a first week bye as a division champ.

Our two wild cards is where we differentiate. We have the #4 seed goes to best record/non-divisional winner. The #5 seed is the next with the highest point total. As such, there are a couple of teams that will not make the playoffs but have better records. Additionally, it allows for that team that always seems to play the best scoring team each week. Those two wild cards play week 14 while divisional winners get a bye. And then we bracket from there.

To keep action, we also have a toilet bowl that pays out the league fees as well as weekly payouts for highest score. It's been 10 years with basically the same rules and we haven't had anyone quit over it. In fact, it's been surprisingly smooth. I can say we rotate the divisions every year but it's randomized pre-draft and makes for some interesting fun.

12 teams, 8 make playoffs.

Top 6 make it on record.

Last 2 make it on points.

So if a team is 8-5 with 700 points and another team is 5-8 with 800 points, the second team wins.

- Seems the most equitable for the whole league.

- Keeps teams playing and submitting lineups even if they ar 2-8.

- We've had many teams be top 3 in scoring and have a losing record every year, sucked.

Ur mother sucks!!! Ur team blows like ur mother...

Did not ask for your.02. you stuck your nose into my business now stick it out...

You make stupid comments about my team. how does the team with most points for suck?

Explain this to me moron!!!

I didn't ask for your advice, I just posted it on a board because thats how I keep things to myself.

Flahawker won this thread :first:

Fine, you wanta crown his ass then crown it. He is what we thought he was.

Flahawker won this thread :first:

Looks like the thread didn't miss a beat. he was just another pothole on the super information highway.

I didn't ask for your advice, I just posted it on a board because thats how I keep things to myself.

:lol: :lol:

exactly.

he jus wants someone to rub his head and tell him its ok.

12 teams, 8 make playoffs.

Top 6 make it on record.

Last 2 make it on points.

So if a team is 8-5 with 700 points and another team is 5-8 with 800 points, the second team wins.

- Seems the most equitable for the whole league.

- Keeps teams playing and submitting lineups even if they ar 2-8.

- We've had many teams be top 3 in scoring and have a losing record every year, sucked.

I like this format except for one thing ... do you bracket it this way? Meaning ... Seed #1 (best record) plays Seed #8 (most points). Doesn't seem very fair to the #1 seed in an H2H based format. Curious how you bracket?

I like this format except for one thing ... do you bracket it this way? Meaning ... Seed #1 (best record) plays Seed #8 (most points). Doesn't seem very fair to the #1 seed in an H2H based format. Curious how you bracket?

Actually never thought about that.

1-8 seed like you said.

Regular seaosn first place wins like 800 bucks or something so no one complains.

The major problem with head to head is that, unlike the NFL, you can't control how many points you "allow" to be scored against you. It's totally out of your hands, and as we see every year, there are countless teams that are loaded with talent, crush the league in points, but still end up at 6-7 or 7-6 and out in the cold. People shrug and say it's just bad luck, but they're the same people that then turn around, boast about their own record, and try to claim that this game is mostly skill. Can't have it both ways.

I still love the head to head format, because let's be honest, it's a lot more fun to play against people, develop rivalries, root for other teams to win and help you in the standings, and so on. And I have no problem using head to head records to award division titles and/or bye weeks. But leagues should also have a safety net of sorts to make sure that unlucky point leaders aren't shafted. In my opinion, if you didn't win your division, then fock your record, and the wildcard(s) should be awarded to whoever has the strongest team...and the way to gauge a team's strength in fantasy is not head-to-head, but points scored.

Total seasonal points are BS and only value is in taunting the league.

With some of the logic given here, the highest point team in my league should be in the playoffs, with a sub 500 record.

Problem is, he is a binge purge roster. One week he set a record for most pts scored with 190, about double the average.

With his record, obviously an anomaly.

As you replied my post. My reference to head to head is between the two or so teams tied for the spot. If in that matchup, one swept...

As of the other issue of trying to reduce luck or not penalize stout teams by chance (of losing to the only other team that week that scored more)

I give you the double schedule. That is right, have your league play two games every week. This way it isn't some "ribbon for participation league" and at the same time decrease chance over skill with aspect of scoring. it is still there, but reduced.

We wound up with three 9-4 teams, two 8-5 teams, and one 7-6 team. Division A has three representatives - division winner (9-4) and two wild cards (8-5 and 7-6); Division B has one representative - division winner (8-5); Division 3 has two representatives - division winner and wild card, both 9-4. It's been a tight season. Two divisions and two wild card spots came down to tonight's game.

I think this may be the first season no team reached double-digit wins.

Some posters have mentioned H2H. Head-to-head contains a landmine when it's used to break a tie between more than two teams. Without going into the calculus-type details, there are two equally valid ways of computing it that can produce two different results. We learned this one the hard way last year, ultimately closing our eyes and awarding the final playoff berth to the guy we reckoned was the most likely to do his own math and pitch a fit if he didn't get in. If you do H2H, you may want to spell out the method you intend to use in your by-laws. (As a result of this nightmare, we have since moved total points ahead of H2H in the tie breaker food chain in situations involving more than two teams).

Total seasonal points are BS and only value is in taunting the league.

With some of the logic given here, the highest point team in my league should be in the playoffs, with a sub 500 record.

Problem is, he is a binge purge roster. One week he set a record for most pts scored with 190, about double the average.

With his record, obviously an anomaly.

As you replied my post. My reference to head to head is between the two or so teams tied for the spot. If in that matchup, one swept...

As of the other issue of trying to reduce luck or not penalize stout teams by chance (of losing to the only other team that week that scored more)

I give you the double schedule. That is right, have your league play two games every week. This way it isn't some "ribbon for participation league" and at the same time decrease chance over skill with aspect of scoring. it is still there, but reduced.

I agree. Total points are not a reliable indicator of how good a team really is. You could have a couple of good weeks and score a buttload of points, (i.e. Doug Martin vs. the Raiders or the Reggie Bush/Shone Greene explosion), and the rest of the season just go back to your regular, sucky self. Now you want a playoff spot even though you sucked for the majority of the season just because you had 2 good weeks? No, no sir. :nono:

We have 12 teams, 2 conferences. Rather than picking the top 3 from each conference, we take the top 6 overall, regardless of conference. Since we only play 13 games, we only have 2 teams that we play more than once and it is a crapshoot as to which conference is really better.

I like the concept of taking the top 5 teams overall and the top point winner for the playoffs. If the top point getter is also in the top 5 by record, then you add the 6th place team in. Use a tiebreaker of total points, head-to-head and then breakdown (record vs. everyone else each week). Seems as far as you want to get for a "fantasy" league.