Sign in to follow this  
fugoondo

QB Scoring

Every league differs, but just curious as to why water down a TD pass? Usually the QB is already stunted a bit in the yardage dept. Why not reward a full 6 for each pass td? I know its because the QB has the ball every play, but Its not like the opponents QB isnt also scoring 6 pts per TD pass as well. A team with the stronger QB should we rewarded as such no?

A TD shouldnt score as much as a 40 yard FG

Am i looking at this the wrong way?

Im sure every commish when creating a league is faced with this decision in scoring..just wondering the schools of thought

In the leagues that I commish, I split the difference between the common 4 or 6 point scoring and make it 5 points per pass TD. No one has ever complained and it seems like a good compromise. I personally think 4 is too low and would rather have 6 point scoring than 4...it depresses the good QBs value too much.

I play in both, 4 pt just seems way easier. It's like reducing the QB position to that of K or DST, since the difference becomes rather small you can pretty much ignore the position and pick up a decent option later on. Also if you find a QB that rushes TDs, they become monsters, like Tebow the past 2 years down the stretch. I seriously LOLed to fantasy championships the past 2 years using Tebow in at least a few 4pt leagues. He got so many rushing yards and almost always ran a TD or two in. This year in 4 pt leagues RG3 has a sizeable advantage, and yes he's really good, but at least you'd think Rodgers, Brady and Brees should have an edge since they've been better passers than him. Nope, not in 4 pt TD land.

6 pt leagues you actually have to consider burning a top pick on a QB since there is actually a big difference from a QB throwing 4 TDs and one throwing 2.

I only play 6pts.

Anything else just seems weird to me.

What I find even weirder is a passing TD is worth 4, but a rushing TD by the same QB is 6. A TD is a TD.

Just my two pennies

Devaluing TD's for QB's just seems like a cop out. For that matter PPR leagues are a cop out too. The point of fantasy sports is not to make all positon scoring similar so no position has an advantage. It is a dumbed down way to run a league.

Runnngbacks used to dominate fantasy football, but during that time there was no discussion of making rushing touchdowns worth less. Then why do it with QB's?

I don't have a problem with 4 points for passing TD. I have mostly played in leagues with 4 points and in standard scoring leagues qbs are still your highest scoring position on average. QBs have more opportunity to score a TD passing and therefore it is not rewarded as much. The same why a 30yd field goal doesn't reward as much as a 50yd field goal. And how many times does a QB toss a pass for 6 yds that goes for 30 and a TD? I am just fine with the ball carrier getting more points than the QB. And i don't think 6 points "just like the nfl" is a valid argument. This is fantasy football not the nfl. The NFL does not give bonus points for longer field goals, sacks, yardage totals, etc.

I prefer 4 point systems but to each their own.

4 point passing TDs for QB scoring is mostly what I play. QBs tend to have far more TDs than your #1 RB or WR - say 25+ for QBs to 10 or so for your other position players on (a very rough) average. 4 points thereby evens out the leagues - much the same way QB passing yardage was shrunk to do the same thing. Its a personal preference thing - you find the scoring system and a few guys who aren't dooshes and you're set.

I play in both, and a 5pt passing league as well. I don't have a preference between them really.

But one interesting thing to note is the less value placed on passing TDs the more inflated the value of a running QB. It was only one or two guys for a long time, but now you've got a whole crew of QBs that can get it done with their legs - RG3, Rodgers, Newton, Luck (even though he doesn't), Tebow (see last year), Kaep, etc...

It always annoyed me when Vick could put up a craptacular game as a QB, but then scramble for 70 yards and be a top fantasy QB. I had to get over it because that's a regular part of the game now.

I play in both, and a 5pt passing league as well. I don't have a preference between them really.

But one interesting thing to note is the less value placed on passing TDs the more inflated the value of a running QB. It was only one or two guys for a long time, but now you've got a whole crew of QBs that can get it done with their legs - RG3, Rodgers, Newton, Luck (even though he doesn't), Tebow (see last year), Kaep, etc...

It always annoyed me when Vick could put up a craptacular game as a QB, but then scramble for 70 yards and be a top fantasy QB. I had to get over it because that's a regular part of the game now.

lol what does that even mean?

lol what does that even mean?

Meant he's closer to Rodgers than RG3 on how he runs, stat wise. I think he could rush more often and still be very effective out of the pocket tbh. (means he's my starting qb and I wish he'd rack up more easy points :doublethumbsup: )