Sign in to follow this  
SexyRexy

Frank Gore TD Scoring Question

The teams involved in the semi's in my league are seriously affected by this.

Gore scored the TD on the what is technically the dropped snap by Kaepernick. Gore picked up the ball and rushed into the end zone. No contact. No defenders. Currently, this was scored as a team fumble recovery and touchdown and Gore did NOT get credit.

Was that a rushing attempt or technically not a rushing attempt because he recovered a fumble?

we'll see what the official scoring is.

But I think he would get the TD pts, but not the yardage.

In our league he will only get the TD if credited with the rush and obviously the yards.

we'll see what the official scoring is.

But I think he would get the TD pts, but not the yardage.

Correct...Any league that does not award pts for the score is what I would call "Bush League"

If you do not know what that means, I suggest you look that up.

Washington had a similar play a few weeks ago when a td was scored off an RG3 fumble (think ot was the mnf game) and in my league the td counted.

That's not a defensive TD, it should be a rushing TD by Gore. It'll be corrected, I think.

As of right now ESPN isnt counting it. It wasnt a rush, it was a fumble return for a TD so DEFINITELY no rushing yards. Whether or not the TD counts depends on your league rules. I'm guessing the default on ESPN is to NOT count it because I doubt my commish would even think to check on and/or change something like that. I know it can be adjusted but as of right now what other programs are NOT counting it? or counting it for that matter :)

Al Michaels just said it is a return TD and not a rushing TD. I don't get it to be honest. I know in the past in leagues I have been in, a player I owned or was playing against recovered a fumble and scored a TD (either recovering it in the end zone or advancing te ball) and they called it a rushing TD.

However, this may be different than the circumstances I am thinking of in that no one ever controlled the snap from the center, and/or the ball hasn't passed the line if scrimmage when the fumble and recovery had occurred?

what the deal does it have to cross the line of scrimmage?

This does directly effect me this week and my opponent is up on me by 8 points without the gore TD going into tomorrows game. I have a kicker playing tomorrow. My argument would be this...if my team defense isnt on the field and the QB throws a pick 6 it will count against my team D. Happens all the time. This was a fumble return for a TD. Our league has already awarded those points to SFs defense and that should stand. Of course thats coming from the guy that is only down 8. :P

Correct...Any league that does not award pts for the score is what I would call "Bush League"

well, our rules award points for a rushing score, receiving score or passing score...by current ruling, this is none of those things, hence no points. we don't award points to players who let's say pounce on a fumble and roll into the end zone, so by rule this would be no different.

personally I think the play should be ruled as a rushing attempt.

although i suppose this type of play makes it worthy of consideration next year...

at this point though, it wouldn't matter the player with Gore would have lost anyway.

As someone who's going against Gore, I'm wondering. It doesn't affect my matchup either way since Brady's garbage time points negated them. Just curious.

When cash money is on the line...your opinion on "bush league" sure as hell doesn't mean jack to me. It also doesn't matter how common sense a play would appear, it comes down to precedents and consistency with a league's rules.

Neither ESPN or CBS gave Brandon Lloyd owners fantasy points last week when he had a fumble recovery TD, and it's the same situation.

When cash money is on the line...your opinion on "bush league" sure as hell doesn't mean jack to me. It also doesn't matter how common sense a play would appear, it comes down to precedents and consistency with a league's rules.

Neither ESPN or CBS gave Brandon Lloyd owners fantasy points last week when he had a fumble recovery TD, and it's the same situation.

The same is true for Josh Morgan getting that fumble pitch from RG3 a few weeks ago. The stats do not reflect a TD for Josh Morgan, or LLoyd last week. So I did a little bit of digging, because I haven't been effected by this prior. TD's scored on punts returns or kickoff returns are not counted to the individual player in official NFL stats. Jacoby Jones has returned a couple of kickoffs for tds, but only shows one td on the year, which was from a reception.

This goes beyond FF as well, Frank Gore would have set the 49ers franchise record for touchdowns had it been credited as a TD. I am having trouble wrapping my head around an individual scoring a td, and it not count as a td for the individual. Is it too much to ask that the stat people get it right, down to the yardage before the fumble and after the recovery? There are lines on the field, and the company recording stats charges a lot of money to do so.

I just have to add, sorry for the length. What if a qb picks up a fumble and throws for a td? Do the individual stats just stop when there is a fumble? Then D/ST get s a td pass, catch and yardage?

ok, say you play in an IDP league and Kaepernick throws a pick, tackles the CB who made the pick, forces a fumble, recovers it and runs to the 1 where he is hit, fumbles into the endzone and Gore falls on it for the TD. I think Kaepernick gets credit for an INT, a tackle, a forced fumble, and losing a fumble.

I just don't understand why EVERY league doesn't change their scoring settings to include "offensive fumble recovery TD." It's soo easy and avoids these headaches/interpretations. It's happened several times over the years so this isn't something new. If your league doesn't include this setting, Gore won't get credit for this TD (unless the scoring of the play gets changed).

Any league that scores this play to the defense is RIDICULOUS. There was no change of possession and that would just go against the "spirit of the game."

In this instance, I don't even know why it's scored as a fumble recovery TD. Kaepernick botched the handoff and dropped the ball backwards. Gore immediately picked it up and ran it in for a TD. To me, that should count as a rushing attempt and he should get credited with the rushing yards and rushing TD. But at the very least, if your league includes the "offensive fumble recovery TD," he would get credit with the TD that he scored. As he should. Just my opinion.

I just don't understand why EVERY league doesn't change their scoring settings to include "offensive fumble recovery TD." It's soo easy and avoids these headaches/interpretations. It's happened several times over the years so this isn't something new. If your league doesn't include this setting, Gore won't get credit for this TD (unless the scoring of the play gets changed).

Any league that scores this play to the defense is RIDICULOUS. There was no change of possession and that would just go against the "spirit of the game."

In this instance, I don't even know why it's scored as a fumble recovery TD. Kaepernick botched the handoff and dropped the ball backwards. Gore immediately picked it up and ran it in for a TD. To me, that should count as a rushing attempt and he should get credited with the rushing yards and rushing TD. But at the very least, if your league includes the "offensive fumble recovery TD," he would get credit with the TD that he scored. As he should. Just my opinion.

the 2 leagues I'm in that haven't given it to Gore have not given it to the defense either.

honestly don't remember (in 15 yrs of FF) this ever happening in a league and it not been quickly corrected or just called a rush or rec TD, like an on-purpose lateral.

did the NFL just make up this 'offensive fumble return' thing this year?!?

In ESPN leagues at least, there is a setting for Fumble Recover TD. This was on for all my leagues and Gore got the 6pts but no yards for that play.

If the league settings were not set to avoid this because this has never affected a game before or been an issue would you go in a change them retro and give the other team a loss taking them out of the SB. I don't think so with money on the line. It can be changed for next year but not this season.

I'm not totally certain, but I think the way the stats are kept have been changed. I know in past years people would get credit for a rush attempt, rushing yards and a rushing TD in fantasy leagues.

Stat keeping is somewhat subjective, open to interpretation and doesn't affect the game.

Long story short... I think this is somewhat new

I have Gore on my team, I am currently losing the game 116-121. If this scores a TD I win, if not I lose. I consider it a mistake when the rules of the league were set up. I cannot think of a reason why you wouldn't add it, unless you consider it just a lucky play and not award for it. What I want to know is, how many times has it happened this year. I have been trying to research stats on it, but nobody seems to be keeping them.

Wallace Gilberry (28) 1 CIN DE DTD

Carlos Rogers (31) 1 SFO DB DTD

Shaun Phillips (31) 1 SDG DE DTD

Louis Murphy (25) 1 CAR WR OFRTD CAR@CHI

Josh Morgan (27) 1 WAS WR OFRTD NYG@WAS

Edgar Jones (28) 1 KAN DE DTD

Janoris Jenkins (24) 1 STL DB DTD

Quentin Jammer (33) 1 SDG DB DTD

Dont'a Hightower (22) 1 NWE LB DTD

Jason Hatcher (30) 1 DAL DE DTD

Steve Gregory (29) 1 NWE DB DTD

Frank Gore (29) 1 SFO RB OFRTD SFO@NWE

Brandon Lloyd (31) 1 NWE WR OFRTD HOU@NWE

James Sanders (29) 1 ARI DB DTD

Malcolm Smith (23) 1 SEA OLB DTD

Alterraun Verner (24) 1 TEN DB DTD

Pierre Garcon (26) 1 WAS WR OFRTD WAS@TAM

Mike Daniels (23) 1 GNB DE DTD

Morris Claiborne (22) 1 DAL DB DTD

Tony Carter (26) 1 DEN DB DTD

Michael Boley (30) 1 NYG LB DTD

Jonathan Babineaux (31) 1 ATL DE DTD

Julian Edelman (26) 1 NWE WR OFRTD NWE@NYJ

Josh Wilson (27) 1 WAS DB DTD

Muhammad Wilkerson (23) 1 NYJ DT DTD

NVM I found a good source finally, and put this together, hope it helps somebody

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/fumbles_rec_td_year_by_year.htm

I'm not totally certain, but I think the way the stats are kept have been changed. I know in past years people would get credit for a rush attempt, rushing yards and a rushing TD in fantasy leagues.

Stat keeping is somewhat subjective, open to interpretation and doesn't affect the game.

Long story short... I think this is somewhat new

I know my leagues have had the "offensive fumble recovery" setting for a few years now. A quick google search shows that Yahoo has had this setting since at least 2008.

For the person who asked if they should retroactively give Gore credit for a TD, the answer is absolutely not. Your league rules don't say a player gets credit for an offensive fumble recovery TD. The league settings don't include this. Once the season starts, anything not covered by your specific league rules defaults to the site rules. It is the responsibility of all the owners in the league to review the rules BEFORE the season and make any changes as necessary. Definitely change it next year.

I know my leagues have had the "offensive fumble recovery" setting for a few years now. A quick google search shows that Yahoo has had this setting since at least 2008.

For the person who asked if they should retroactively give Gore credit for a TD, the answer is absolutely not. Your league rules don't say a player gets credit for an offensive fumble recovery TD. The league settings don't include this. Once the season starts, anything not covered by your specific league rules defaults to the site rules. It is the responsibility of all the owners in the league to review the rules BEFORE the season and make any changes as necessary. Definitely change it next year.

It's a travesty that players on defense get career td #'s credit for fumble td's, but offensive players do not. I am not talking about fantasy football in this instance, I am referring to the fact that Frank would have set a franchise record for touchdowns, but that this doesn't count toward his total number of touchdowns. I have listed more stats below for fun in learning.

2011 NONE

2010 NONE

Jacob Hester RB 2009 SDG

Robert Meachem WR 2009 NOR

Joe Staley T 2008

Jamey Richard C 2008

Justin Blalock G 2008

Montell Owens RB 2008

Kevin Curtis WR 2007 (2, 1 in each consecutive games)

Tim carter WR 2006

Billy McMullen WR 2006

Duece McAllister RB 2006

You don't award pts to an offensive player who scores a TD because he did not make a reception or take a hand off? Change your settings next season and change your League Name, to "Bush".