Sign in to follow this  
tbk420

Pretty sure Ryan Mathews is my biggest bust ever

What a waste. I knew I was taking a risk drafting him as a #2, but never anticipated this putrid season.

I don't know, I've seen some pretty abysmal failures over the years, but Mathews is at least in the conversation. Maybe the one thing that saves him is that he did not go in the 1st round of most drafts because of the preseason injury.

Someone needs to bump those threads with those annoying Mathews fanatics who insisted he would finish top 10.

Someone needs to bump those threads with those annoying Mathews fanatics who insisted he would finish top 10.

I was one of em. Logic says he would, it didnt work out, whatever, but a guy who finished no 7 in 2011 in a full timeshare, with Tolbert gone, gotta figure he would finish at least the same if not better. Who knew the Chargers would be entirely so pathetic.

Sadly as bad as he was all year, he was still the RB24 which means a RB2/Flex in every league

As a guy who got burned by Mathews in multiple leagues this year, I will absolutely be drafting him in 2013 if it's in the 5th-6th round.

Def my biggest bust ever. A second round pick that didn't make an impact outside of 1 game.

In a 14 team league I took Rice #2 and took a risk on Mathews on the way back. I was just talking with my commish saying that it was down to him or Martin, he drafted Dougie Fresh a few picks later, and he said he would have made the same pick. The perceived upside at the time was too high.

I was one of em. Logic says he would, it didnt work out, whatever, but a guy who finished no 7 in 2011 in a full timeshare, with Tolbert gone, gotta figure he would finish at least the same if not better. Who knew the Chargers would be entirely so pathetic.

Sadly as bad as he was all year, he was still the RB24 which means a RB2/Flex in every league

End of the year stats skew things. In standard leagues he finished 30th in PPG with 8.5.

A waiver guy like Woodhead put up 7.4 PPG this year.

This doesn't even account all the guys who finished with worse PPG numbers but were certainly better plays on any given week. The Andre and Bryce Browns of the world.

End of the year stats skew things. In standard leagues he finished 30th in PPG with 8.5.

I don't understand that logic. A player putting up points at the end of the year could be a sign that they are starting to come into their own and has more potential in the next year. Obviously that could be different if they are playing against a second string lineup of someone who locked up a playoff spot, but in general it shouldn't matter when they got their points.

I think the biggest disappointment with Mathews was that he wasn't really the 3 down back he was supposed to be as he sat out on a lot of passing plays. That guy has got to be the biggest injury risk out there though - he will definitely be a mid rounder next year at best.

I don't understand that logic. A player putting up points at the end of the year could be a sign that they are starting to come into their own and has more potential in the next year. Obviously that could be different if they are playing against a second string lineup of someone who locked up a playoff spot, but in general it shouldn't matter when they got their points.

I think the biggest disappointment with Mathews was that he wasn't really the 3 down back he was supposed to be as he sat out on a lot of passing plays. That guy has got to be the biggest injury risk out there though - he will definitely be a mid rounder next year at best.

I agree that part of his dissapointment was the lack of passing down work. But what about scoring points at the end of the year?

My point was that just b/c Mathews started every game and finished around 24th in total points doesn't mean that he was a top 24 play week in and week out.

Plenty of guys, for example DWill and Ballard this week, didn't start every game but ended up being better plays on any given week.

An RB2. Wow. I got him as an RB1. After drafting CJ2K first overall in 2011, Mathews will never compare.

I learned from that CJ2K move how worthless RBs are in the TD only league with points for over 100 and 130 yards.

This year I went Brady, Julio, Mathews, TRich, Harvin, JStew. I'm in the semis.

I have to add my ditto here. I complained about Mathews in a post here in late Sept. -- the writing was already on the wall. I wouldn't draft him again unless at least one other owner proved he thought he was worth a pick by drafting him. (Whoops -- that means he'll be gone.)

Obviously none of you ever owned

Anthony Thomas 2002

Dominik Davis 2005

Steve Slaton 2009

Chris Johnson 2011

Lamont Jordan 2006

Shawn Alexander 2006

Darren Mcfadden 2011

these guys were all first rounders, Chris Johnson 2011, was the only one who had a 1000 yard season

I guess it's all relative. I drafted him as my #2 RB in the 4th round, I could have survived that. It was the drafting of McFadden in the 1st, Vernon Davis in the 6th, Pierre Garcon in the 7th, Titus Young in the 8th, Mark Ingram in the 9th, Greg Little in the 10th and Ryan Williams in the 11th that hurt. I didn't realize what a complete collection of shit my team was until just now. I got good value out of exactly four picks, Julio Jones (2nd), Matt Ryan (3rd), Ahmad Bradshaw (5th) and Carson Palmer (13th). Other than that I have the most impressive collection of turds ever assembled. It's a wonder I'm in the championship.

Someone in a fft geek dynasty league traded Brees for Mathews around week 4 of this year. STRAIGHT UP! Because he drafted RG3 :unsure: :shocking: :overhead:

Obviously none of you ever owned

Anthony Thomas 2002

Dominik Davis 2005

Steve Slaton 2009

Chris Johnson 2011

Lamont Jordan 2006

Shawn Alexander 2006

Darren Mcfadden 2011

these guys were all first rounders, Chris Johnson 2011, was the only one who had a 1000 yard season

Kurt Warner 2003 - who went 1st overall in many drafts

Marshall Faulk 2002 - Who also went 1st overall in many drafts. Who I drafted that year. At the time my 1st, 1st overall pick ever. :wall:

What a waste. I knew I was taking a risk drafting him as a #2, but never anticipated this putrid season.

Mine to but with a little luck I managed to sqeeze into the title game despite Mathews sorry butt.

Rotoworld just concluded an online poll. The question was "what player would you never draft again?" Mathews won. Handily, I suspect. At least he finally managed to accomplish something meaningful this season.

Rotoworld just concluded an online poll. The question was "what player would you never draft again?" Mathews won. Handily, I suspect. At least he finally managed to accomplish something meaningful this season.

Biggest ever??? Id say thats a stretch. He wasnt even that hyped this year. Lots bigger busts over the years no doubt.

sweet that means I will be able to draft a starting RB in the 5th-6th round, for a coach who hopefully knows what he is doing, and get easy rb2 value out of him

sweet that means I will be able to draft a starting RB in the 5th-6th round, for a coach who hopefully knows what he is doing, and get easy rb2 value out of him

No, that means you'll get a fragile RB who is below average. Nobody cares what he did late last year.

HTH