Sign in to follow this  
madd futher mucker

The 2013 Dynasty Q & A thread

"I hope it works out for ya. To each their own on RB's, as we all have our own RB's we'll swear by. Heck, I'm still a member of the Jonathan Stewart and Donald Brown fan clubs.

And let me tell you. There's plenty of room on those buses. I just can't seem to let let those 2 go and say I was wrong."

True Kopy. This is not quite yet the case for me with Vereen. I have not owned him anywhere previous to this offseason. The games I saw Vereen play in down the stretch last year highlighted the opportunity for NE to gameplan with Vereen as a "mismatch - maker" vIMO. I felt the observation was validated by the teams actions when NE let Woodhead walk. Remember how long they held onto Faulk? They certainly could have done the same with Woodhead fairly cheaply.

It is entirely possible 2 years from now I will be the one saying "just wait until next year, they have to figure out how good he is soon" on Vereen. The window is there for Vereen to take advantage of IMO but that doesn't mean he will do so. I thought Leon Washington looked good out of the backfield when Seattle chose to use him and he is a bigger threat to Vereens workload than Vereen bulls realize but the team would prefer Vereen to step up. FWIW I did not draft him in a recent startup that scored .5 PPR for RBs. The risk/reward on him being consistent goes down quite a bit in that scoring system for me.

"I hope it works out for ya. To each their own on RB's, as we all have our own RB's we'll swear by. Heck, I'm still a member of the Jonathan Stewart and Donald Brown fan clubs.

And let me tell you. There's plenty of room on those buses. I just can't seem to let let those 2 go and say I was wrong."

True Kopy. This is not quite yet the case for me with Vereen. I have not owned him anywhere previous to this offseason. The games I saw Vereen play in down the stretch last year highlighted the opportunity for NE to gameplan with Vereen as a "mismatch - maker" vIMO. I felt the observation was validated by the teams actions when NE let Woodhead walk. Remember how long they held onto Faulk? They certainly could have done the same with Woodhead fairly cheaply.

It is entirely possible 2 years from now I will be the one saying "just wait until next year, they have to figure out how good he is soon" on Vereen. The window is there for Vereen to take advantage of IMO but that doesn't mean he will do so. I thought Leon Washington looked good out of the backfield when Seattle chose to use him and he is a bigger threat to Vereens workload than Vereen bulls realize but the team would prefer Vereen to step up. FWIW I did not draft him in a recent startup that scored .5 PPR for RBs. The risk/reward on him being consistent goes down quite a bit in that scoring system for me.

I am assuming blount doesnt worry you at all.

I am assuming blount doesnt worry you at all.

Theoretically Blount would be a threat to Ridley's role not Vereen. In all likelihood he is a threat to no one because blunt is not too sharp. :bench:

While I'm cracking myself up, the biggest risk factor now with Vereen is that you went and proclaimed him the "most talented RB" on the roster and that has been the kiss of death recently. :wave:

Theoretically Blount would be a threat to Ridley's role not Vereen. In all likelihood he is a threat to no one because blunt is not too sharp. :bench:

While I'm cracking myself up, the biggest risk factor now with Vereen is that you went and proclaimed him the "most talented RB" on the roster and that has been the kiss of death recently. :wave:

Is that why all my rbs suck? Because i always say they are the best on the roster?

Goodson

Ivory

Hilton

Cecil Shorts

Rivers

for the

thoughts?

I think you were crazy not to accept the moment this hit your inbox.

And I wonder how anyone got away with saying this was a tough one to decide.

Just about completed our Zealots rookie draft.

420 had my favorite comment with Manuel at 3.06

http://football10.myfantasyleague.com/2013/options?L=20230&O=17

No real surprises here. I like the amount & talent of the picks that CoryJagFan made. Never been a part of a dynasty rookie draft but was Cam Newton being selected in the 3rd round of rookie drafts in 2011?

But funny take by 420allstars nonetheless. Could be a nice value if he becomes a QB1 in the future.

I just had my rookie draft in the 'other' dynasty league that I'm in. This was rookies only, and i had traded away my first round pick. So I had 2.04 (happy to get Wheaton), 2.06 (Kelce - and I think he can do some damage this year), 3.06 (Patton - I only picked him because just hours before I'd heard about Crabtree's achilles tear and Patton now has a legit chance to contribute right away) and 3.09 (Kerwynn Williams).

Looking at the above draft, you can tell that these guys know their rookie values. IMO, the best 'value' pick of that draft was Chris Harper by Crowes at 4.09.

Free? I dont see the point.

For the fun of it. I just joined another free league because I liked the set-up and idea. 10 team league that starts: 2 QB, 3 RB, 6 WR/TE, 2 PK, 2 DEF. 15 keepers with a 30 man roster. They also have a 2pt. per reception scoring system which will add a wrinkle to things. Like I said, it looks fun... that's the point of a free league.

I also run a free Pirates league, where you can take a player from your opponent when you win, and lose one to him when you lose. Makes every week an important one.

Ok the pirate league sounds cool. I know that the amount of time i spend on money leagues would make me sacrifice all the time for a free league.

After draft team...Thoughts on areas needed to improve?

12 team PPR Dynasty

I drafted Austin 1.1, Bell, 1.4, Dobson 2.2, Stefan Taylor 2.11

Start 1 qb, 1-3 rbs, 2-4 wrs, 1 te, 1 k, 2 d.st

Qbs
Rodgers, Locker, Bradford
RBs
Marshawn Lynch, Reggie Bush, Levon Bell, Jonathan Stewart, Donald Brown, Lamichael James, Mike James, Stefan Taylor, Robert Turbin
WRs
Fitzgerald, Steve Smith, Tavon Austin, Lance Moore, Crabtree, Torrey Smith, Devonne Bess, Vincent Brown, Aaron Dobson, Marvin Jones, Marquis Goodwin
TEs
Aaron Hernandez, Pettigrew, Delanie Walker
K
Blair Walsh
D/ST
Carolina, Seahawks

Where do I need to improve?

Matt's Eagles: Losing Crabtree really hurts, hopefully one of your rookies can take his place.

QB: back-ups are a bit weak, although I expect Bradford to finally step up with all the weapons they've stockpiled for him.

RB: Bell was a nice addition and will likely see playing time as a 3rd RB. Stewart should finally be the main RB in Carolina, which helps.

WR: Here's the only problem I see, and it's not a big one. Fitz is just outside of the top 10, none of the others are close to that. You've got good depth here, and if Crabtree was healthy you'd be okay. Austin, T. Smith, or Dobson need to step up and fill that spot. If one of them blow up, you'll be sitting pretty here.

TE: Looks good, Hernandez should see more targets with Welker gone and Gronk facing some health issues. Pettigrew and Walker are decent depth.

K: Walsh is good, keep him and grab someone for a bye week when the time comes.

Def: Seahawks are top two, Carolina may improve this season.

Where do you think is a good round to draft Lattimore in a start up dynasty this year? 12 team .5 PPR

Where do you think is a good round to draft Lattimore in a start up dynasty this year? 12 team .5 PPR

I have seen him go consistently at 1.9-1.11

I have seen him go consistently at 1.9-1.11

Nooo way would I take him there. He said start up and not rookie draft in case you misread it.

I am not a big fan of Lattimore anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about him. When in a dilemma like this just trust your rankings. Wherever you have him ranked wait until its your next pick and if he is at the top or near the top of your list then take him. He still has an injury to get over early and didn't perform great at the combine.

Personally I don't think he is a super star in waiting as there are better options out there with more skill and better situations.

Nooo way would I take him there. He said start up and not rookie draft in case you misread it.

Totally missed start up....I have seen him go in the 9th and 10th round....He will probably be on the IR..

O.K. I got 1 final question for everyone here.

Who would you rather have?

A. Keenan Allen - Chargers

or

B. Quintion Patton - 49ers

& Chris Harper - Seahawks

Draft position doesn't matter. Also, niether options A or B would even need to start for your fantasy team this year. It would be a 2014 and beyond, upside question.

Keenan Allen gets my vote. He may not contribute as much this year but like you said, it's all about 2014 & beyond.

This is a contract dynasty league, so instead of a two paragraph intro to how the league works, I'll try to dumb it down and see if you guys can help me.

1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE league

I can keep up to 4 players, in exchange for a draft pick.

Aaron Rodgers for a 1st round pick

Steven Jackson for a 2nd round pick

Victor Cruz for a 2nd round pick

Percy Harvin for a 4th round pick

James Jones for a 12th round pick

I can keep both Jackson and Cruz, for the sake of dumbing the league down, their contract values are both worth a 2nd round pick.

Harvin and Jones (I guess) seem like the only real value plays here? I suppose if everyone keeps 4 players in a 10 team league guys like Cruz, Arod and Sjax could have there ADP bumped up enough to make sence?

This is a contract dynasty league, so instead of a two paragraph intro to how the league works, I'll try to dumb it down and see if you guys can help me.

I can keep both Jackson and Cruz, for the sake of dumbing the league down, their contract values are both worth a 2nd round pick.

Any estimation on who would still be available if you didnt keep cruz? I believe his adp would be higher than where your keeping him.

You didn't mention PPR so I'm assuming it's non PPR? Do you have to keep 4? If so, I would let Cruz go. He's the only one that seems like bad value. In non-PPR I can't see him being drafted before the 4th round. I don't really like Rodgers as a 1st rounder either though. If you can keep less than 4, I would keep Harvin and James Jones, and maybe Steven Jackson as well depending on other keepers and where you draft in the 2nd round. I think SJax is a early/mid 2nd rounder in non-PPR, so he's about right on value where you are keeping him.

Don't know if this counts as dynasty but I've made some trades in the deep keeper league I play with MFM (as well as a few others from this board). It's a keep 10 league which is half our roster.... non PPR and all TD's are 6

1. gave Ryan Mathews, Stevie Johnson and pick 4.10 for Steven Jackson, Sidney Rice and pick 3.05

2. gave pick 3.10 for Danny Amendola

3. gave Joe Flacco and Miles Austin for Chad Henne and Larry Fitzgerald (have since cut Henne)

4. gave Kyle Rudolph for Dennis Pitta

My current roster

QB - Romo

RB - Lynch, SJackson, RBush, Ballard, DBrown, DThomas

WR - Harvin, Fitzgerald, JaJones, Amendola, SRice

TE - Gronkowski, Pitta

Don't know if this counts as dynasty but I've made some trades in the deep keeper league I play with MFM (as well as a few others from this board). It's a keep 10 league which is half our roster.... non PPR and all TD's are 6

1. gave Ryan Mathews, Stevie Johnson and pick 4.10 for Steven Jackson, Sidney Rice and pick 3.05

2. gave pick 3.10 for Danny Amendola

3. gave Joe Flacco and Miles Austin for Chad Henne and Larry Fitzgerald (have since cut Henne)

4. gave Kyle Rudolph for Dennis Pitta

My current roster

QB - Romo

RB - Lynch, SJackson, RBush, Ballard, DBrown, DThomas

WR - Harvin, Fitzgerald, JaJones, Amendola, SRice

TE - Gronkowski, Pitta

I really like these trades for you, well done. Steven Jackson 'should' have his best season this year on a team that routinely got 10+ TDs for Micheal Turner. Adding Fitz is a no brainer, and you got him for two players I wouldn't like to have to start anyway. I take Pita over Rudolph any day and twice on Sundays, I think the new weapons in MIN will dilute Rudolph's production to a TE 2 level. Pita makes nice insurance for Gronk.

I might try to upgrade on Romo if you can... you've got good depth at RB and WR, maybe package one of them with Romo for someone you'd have more confidence every week. Romo is a solid, lower end starter, but with 6pts. for all TDs, he's not exactly an elite option either.

You didn't mention PPR so I'm assuming it's non PPR? Do you have to keep 4? If so, I would let Cruz go. He's the only one that seems like bad value. In non-PPR I can't see him being drafted before the 4th round. I don't really like Rodgers as a 1st rounder either though. If you can keep less than 4, I would keep Harvin and James Jones, and maybe Steven Jackson as well depending on other keepers and where you draft in the 2nd round. I think SJax is a early/mid 2nd rounder in non-PPR, so he's about right on value where you are keeping him.

It is a .5ppr league.

It's a 12 team league. Usually teams tend to keep more than you expect, If I drop Cruz, I will probably expect a 3rd or 4th round talent with my first pick.

It is a .5ppr league.

It's a 12 team league. Usually teams tend to keep more than you expect, If I drop Cruz, I will probably expect a 3rd or 4th round talent with my first pick.

True. It's hard to give a real strong opinion without seeing who everyone else is keeping and at what value. If everyone in the league is keeping a couple players at strong values, that pushes everyone else up the draft board if they are released.

I would just try to predict everyone's keepers and then look and see if you think what is available in the first round is better than keeping Rodgers and the same scenario with Cruz in the 2nd round. You should be able to get a good feel of what will likely be available in the first 2 rounds at least.

White Wonder posted his team just about 3 posts above, along with his trades in our 10 team deep keeper league (we keep 10) so I'll do the same.

Since we must cut down to 10, converting extra players into early draft choices is important. So early draft choices become the 'league currency' before the cut-down date. This a is standard non-PPR scoring league.

That said. here is my team as of right now and here were my trades:

QBs: Kaepernick, Tannehill, Cutler (I also had Matt Ryan, who I traded for 2.09)

RBs: Gore, L James, J Stew, A Brown, Dwyer, Hillman (I traded my 3.01 pick for Gore and his 5.07 pick; I traded my 5.01 pick for LaMichale James; after that I traded Forte and my 8.01 for Cruz and the 3.05 pick)

WRs: Julio, Cruz, Nicks, Garcon, Maclin, Streater (I traded Demaryius Thomas for Garcon and the 1.06 pick)

TE: V Davis

My current draft choices are 1.01, 1.06, 2.01, 2.09, 3.05, 4.01, 5.07, 6.01, 7.01, 9.01 & 10.01. We have a 10 round draft which combines veterans and rookies (after 100 veteran players have been kept (10 teams keeping 10 players each). At draft time, generally there is some good to decent talent available for about the 1st 4 rounds. After that, not so much.

Net result, players: Added Gore, L James, Cruz, Garcon; gave up Forte, M Ryan, Dem Thomas

Net result, draft choices: Added 1.06, 2.09, 3.05, 5.07; gave up 3.01, 5.01, 8.01

Right now I've got 16 players, so i still must get rid of 6 more of them.

White Wonder posted his team and his trades in our 10 team deep keeper league (we keep 10) so I'll do the same. Since we must cut down to 10, converting extra players into early draft choices is important. So early draft choices become the 'league currency' before the cut-down date. This a is standard non-PPR scoring league.

QBs: Kaepernick, Tannehill, Cutler (I also had Ryan who I traded for 2.09)

RBs: Gore, L James, J Stew, A Brown, Dwyer, Hillman (I traded my 3.01 pick for Gore and his 5.07 pick; I traded my 5.01 pick for LaMichale James; after that I traded Forte and my 8.01 for Cruz and the 3.05 pick)

WRs: Julio, Cruz, Nicks, Garcon, Maclin, Streater (I traded Demaryius Thomas for Garcon and the 1.06 pick)

My current draft choices are 1.01, 1.06, 2.01, 2.09, 3.05, 4.01, 5.07, 6.01, 7.01, 9.01 & 10.01. We have a 10 round draft which combines veterans and rookies. After 100 veteran players have been kept (10 teams keeping 10 players each). At draft time, generally there is some good to decent talent available for about the 1st 4 rounds. After that, not so much.

Net result, players: Added Gore, L James, Cruz, Garcon; gave up Forte, M Ryan, Dem Thomas

Net result, draft choices: Added 1.06, 2.09, 3.05, 5.07; gave up 3.01, 5.01, 8.01

Right now I've got 16 players, so i still must get rid of 6 of them.

I really liked the trade where you added Gore and a 5th for your 3rd.

I was not a fan of moving Forte. Recouping your 3rd was nice but i'd rather have Forte

Also a little curious on adding James.

The final trade I am undecided. Not high on Garcon right now but you were able to add the 1.06. Just not sure how much value that pick holds this year though i'm sure you will turn it into something good

if you need to get rid of players i can take Julio off your hands :dunno:

The key to the Forte trade was getting Cruz plus the 3.05 for Forte so I was ok with that. I probably overpaid to get L James for my 5.01, but I love the SF running game. Their O line vs the run is top notch and they are a run-first team, so I'll keep both Gore and L James in the stable. I've also heard reports that they plan on using James in the slot quite a bit ala Sproles. We'll see. Garcon is a complete wildcard given his foot. He could either be a stud or a bust, based on that foot, but the 1.06 reduces the risk somewhat. But IMO this was my biggest gamble and a very close choice because Thomas is a real stud. Regarding Ryan, you know I had to unload QB talent and beat that other guy to the punch.

It would take the sun, the moon and the stars to simultaneously move in the same direction for you to get Julio from me. Good luck, my friend!

White Wonder posted his team just about 3 posts above, along with his trades in our 10 team deep keeper league (we keep 10) so I'll do the same.

Since we must cut down to 10, converting extra players into early draft choices is important. So early draft choices become the 'league currency' before the cut-down date. This a is standard non-PPR scoring league.

QBs: Kaepernick, Tannehill, Cutler (I also had Matt Ryan, who I traded for 2.09)

My current draft choices are 1.01, 1.06, 2.01, 2.09, 3.05, 4.01, 5.07, 6.01, 7.01, 9.01 & 10.01. We have a 10 round draft which combines veterans and rookies (after 100 veteran players have been kept (10 teams keeping 10 players each). At draft time, generally there is some good to decent talent available for about the 1st 4 rounds. After that, not so much.

Right now I've got 16 players, so i still must get rid of 6 more of them.

What were the exact trades you made MFM? Not sure I like the net result of players added versus players given up. Forte and Thomas are my two favorite players listed and you gave them both up. I'm also not very high on this years rookie class, so I guess I don't value the draft picks very highly.

Here are the trades. Yes, if you only consider the quality of players, I did not improve my team. I did give up some stud players to get more quality depth than the other teams in the league. And I felt that the Ryan trade was necessary, because I didn't have keeper room for more than one QB. I'm still trying to trade Cutler or Tannehill, but getting no takers.

Since this is a combined veteran and rookie draft, the 1st 31 players should all have good value. I now have 6 of those picks, while almost every other owner only has two or three. If I draft smartly, with some luck that should equate to a 3 player advantage in depth.

Bone Collector gave up Year 2013 Draft Pick 2.09

TX Hippie Coalition gave up Ryan, Matt ATL QB

TX Hippie Coalition gave up Thomas, Demaryius DEN WR

Shepherd gave up Garcon, Pierre WAS WR; Year 2013 Draft Pick 1.06

TX Hippie Coalition gave up Forte, Matt CHI RB; Year 2013 Draft Pick 8.01

The Druids gave up Cruz, Victor NYG WR; Year 2013 Draft Pick 3.05

TX Hippie Coalition gave up Year 2013 Draft Pick 3.01

Under New Management gave up Gore, Frank SFO RB; Year 2013 Draft Pick 5.07

TX Hippie Coalition gave up Year 2013 Draft Pick 5.01

Shepherd gave up James, LaMichael SFO RB

Obviously my strategy is different than WhiteWonder's and comes with perhaps a greater element of risk.

i definitely understand your strategy, MFM. It is indeed different than mine but I see where you were coming from on most of your trades. Matt Ryan is certainly worth more than the 2.09 pick in the rookie/FA draft but others might not realize that we can only keep 10 players and if you have an excess at one position, it can be hard to move a player. I will use myself as an example. I have Tony Romo. I would like to have owned Matt Ryan but giving up a 1st round pick for him did not make sense for me. I would have had to cut Romo or James Jones or one of my other keepers to make room for Matty Ice and on top of that, be without a first round selection. Truth be told, the upgrade isn't big enough for me to part with all of that.

I think some owners in the league don't fully understand that when they ask for high picks for their excess players, they have to consider that the other owner is forced to drop a player. They only focus on the visible value of player A for a draft pick.

the only trades you made that I didn't like were Forte for Cruz, because I don't think a 3rd round pick is worth giving up a RB (and you already own Nicks) and i wasn't too keen on the LaMichael James trade because i don't see a way for both he and Gore to produce stats worthy of keeper status. But at a 5th round pick I can live with it

i definitely understand your strategy, MFM. It is indeed different than mine but I see where you were coming from on most of your trades. Matt Ryan is certainly worth more than the 2.09 pick in the rookie/FA draft but others might not realize that we can only keep 10 players and if you have an excess at one position, it can be hard to move a player. I will use myself as an example. I have Tony Romo. I would like to have owned Matt Ryan but giving up a 1st round pick for him did not make sense for me. I would have had to cut Romo or James Jones or one of my other keepers to make room for Matty Ice and on top of that, be without a first round selection. Truth be told, the upgrade isn't big enough for me to part with all of that.

I think some owners in the league don't fully understand that when they ask for high picks for their excess players, they have to consider that the other owner is forced to drop a player. They only focus on the visible value of player A for a draft pick.

the only trades you made that I didn't like were Forte for Cruz, because I don't think a 3rd round pick is worth giving up a RB (and you already own Nicks) and i wasn't too keen on the LaMichael James trade because i don't see a way for both he and Gore to produce stats worthy of keeper status. But at a 5th round pick I can live with it

Cutting Romo for Ryan would have been a problem? I don't think it's that big of a problem.

Here are the trades. Yes, if you only consider the quality of players, I did not improve my team. I did give up some stud players to get more quality depth than the other teams in the league. And I felt that the Ryan trade was necessary, because I didn't have keeper room for more than one QB. I'm still trying to trade Cutler or Tannehill, but getting no takers.

Since this is a combined veteran and rookie draft, the 1st 31 players should all have good value. I now have 6 of those picks, while almost every other owner only has two or three. If I draft smartly, with some luck that should equate to a 3 player advantage in depth.

Bone Collector gave up Year 2013 Draft Pick 2.09

TX Hippie Coalition gave up Ryan, Matt ATL QB

TX Hippie Coalition gave up Thomas, Demaryius DEN WR

Shepherd gave up Garcon, Pierre WAS WR; Year 2013 Draft Pick 1.06

TX Hippie Coalition gave up Forte, Matt CHI RB; Year 2013 Draft Pick 8.01

The Druids gave up Cruz, Victor NYG WR; Year 2013 Draft Pick 3.05

TX Hippie Coalition gave up Year 2013 Draft Pick 3.01

Under New Management gave up Gore, Frank SFO RB; Year 2013 Draft Pick 5.07

TX Hippie Coalition gave up Year 2013 Draft Pick 5.01

Shepherd gave up James, LaMichael SFO RB

Obviously my strategy is different than WhiteWonder's and comes with perhaps a greater element of risk.

How's it going MFM? I am curious why you traded away Forte for Cruz? Is this a ppr league? If so Forte is pretty reliable when healthy. Am I correct in assuming you want to capitalize on Cruz needing to prove he is worth WR1 money? It's not Cruz I have little faith in, it's Eli.

Cutting Romo for Ryan would have been a problem? I don't think it's that big of a problem.

Wonder's point, and what makes this format so interesting, is that he would have had to give up Romo AND his only 1st round pick for Ryan. Is the difference between Romo's expected production and Ryan's expected production worth giving up the 1.10 in a combined veteran rookie draft?

Personally I'd have said no to making that trade if i was in his shoes too.