Sign in to follow this  
kmbryant09

Dynasty Leagues

I'm an avid fantasy football owner who is looking to expand my portfolio. I've played in 2-4 leagues for the past 8-10 years with growing success, and am intrigued by the thought of a Dynasty League. Here I am, 3 weeks after the fantasy football season has ended, and I'm already crunching stats in prep for next year's draft.

Do Dynasty Leagues help fulfill that year-round craving for fantasy football? I imagine putting in time/research into rookie drafts can be intriguing, and I'm also guessing that there's a lot more player movement/activity in the offseason of Dynasty Leagues as opposed to Keeper Leagues.

I have two points for discussion:

1. Can you Dynasty League experts discuss the ins-and-outs of this format? What's the ideal size of Dynasty Leagues (I think I would prefer 10 teams), roster set-up, etc. How do rookie drafts work - is it a 2 or 3 round ordeal that expands rosters? Or do owners have to make subsequent drops.

2. What's the best way to start a Dynasty League? I have 1 or 2 buddies who have the same interest level/knowledge that I have, but that's obviously not enough to start one. I'd be interested in getting one started with owners on this board (I know a lot of you guys are in leagues together anyways). Are there websites that post openings for Dynasty Leagues that are actually competitive? I'm not looking for anything too serious, but a $100-300 yearly buy-in would be ideal. Finally, anyone have an opening in a start-up league or existing league that I could apply for?

Feel free to turn this into a general discussion about dynasty leagues.

The 3 year keeper league MfM runs is a big hit IMO. Here are the League By Laws .

•  
  • Any player can stay on a roster for 3 years and has to be traded or dropped at the end of that period.
  • Size of league is 12. 14 is the ideal number IMHO. With rookie drafts rosters fill up and get bloated with anything less than 12.
  • Our trading starts Feb 1st. Rookie drafts start around late May.

I've been in one for about 5 years now. PPR/IDP league with someone who used to come on the board here. The idea of the league is cool, and it does generate a bit of a different interest for me. I find myself much more in-tune to the pro-day workouts and combines. I watched a decent amount of the combines two years ago and came away thinking that Julio Jones was going to be an absolute beast someday. Being in the dynasty league helps with the redrafts because I firmly believe I know more about the rookies than just about anyone in the leagues I play in. It's also increased the need to watch college football a little more as well.

That being said, the league itself has gotten a little lame. They've had problems keeping people interested, mostly (in my opinion) because the Commish isn't really involved in it. There isn't a lot of trading, and where there is, it's usually a better team traderaping a bad one, which has led to a bit of an imbalance in the league. League has gone from 12 teams to 10 and even then they've had problems filling spots. I am more than likely leaving it myself.

The thing is, you have to people who are committed and involved. I think a dynasty league with 12 owners who live, eat and breathe fantasy football would be awesome...it's just hard finding that many people that committed. :dunno:

I agree with the previous opinion that 14 or maybe even 16 would be a really great number of teams. 10 is just too small IMO. If I was starting a new league with guys who are mostly new to dynasty I would probably consider starting with a roster size of like 18-20 for each team and then maybe expand the roster by a couple of slots each year for a few years after guys get a feel.

The 2 hardest parts of starting up a league are finding a commissioner who will do a good job, and finding a group of owners who will be dedicated for the long term regardless of the their teams performance over the short term. These two are often related. In had found that most leagues fail within a few years when I was researching and in your situation a couple of years ago.

I decided to start in a public league run by a company called Master's. The primary downside is the company taking a portion of the total pot which would of course be nice to avoid, but I thought it was worth (and still do) the professional administration of league business including all of the things done by a commissioner being done by an uninvolved 3rd party police man - administrator to begin my experience. There are a number of companies that do this and I would consider entering a low stakes league to get your feet wet if I were you. You will eventually find a group or groups of guys that you will want to go on your own with but you will know exactly what you are getting yourself into and what you are looking for by then. You can get into a startup draft with others recruited for a new league run by one of these companies or you can take over an existing team "orphaned" by someone who didn't want to continue. I will be going on my 3rd year with the Master's league I'm in and it's a great group of guys spread out around the US and Canada. We have developed a nice rapor. We lost 1 team after the first year, someone else bought in and have not had any other turnover. I lost in the championship game this year and the money I won paid for my original deposit and all league fees to date with a little left over so I am actually ahead of the game. I'm sure there are other experiences which are not as positive but I doubt they would match the level of problems that could come from a private league breaking down.

Good luck!

I'm an avid fantasy football owner who is looking to expand my portfolio. I've played in 2-4 leagues for the past 8-10 years with growing success, and am intrigued by the thought of a Dynasty League. Here I am, 3 weeks after the fantasy football season has ended, and I'm already crunching stats in prep for next year's draft.

Do Dynasty Leagues help fulfill that year-round craving for fantasy football? I imagine putting in time/research into rookie drafts can be intriguing, and I'm also guessing that there's a lot more player movement/activity in the offseason of Dynasty Leagues as opposed to Keeper Leagues.

I have two points for discussion:

1. Can you Dynasty League experts discuss the ins-and-outs of this format? What's the ideal size of Dynasty Leagues (I think I would prefer 10 teams), roster set-up, etc. How do rookie drafts work - is it a 2 or 3 round ordeal that expands rosters? Or do owners have to make subsequent drops.

2. What's the best way to start a Dynasty League? I have 1 or 2 buddies who have the same interest level/knowledge that I have, but that's obviously not enough to start one. I'd be interested in getting one started with owners on this board (I know a lot of you guys are in leagues together anyways). Are there websites that post openings for Dynasty Leagues that are actually competitive? I'm not looking for anything too serious, but a $100-300 yearly buy-in would be ideal. Finally, anyone have an opening in a start-up league or existing league that I could apply for?

Feel free to turn this into a general discussion about dynasty leagues.

I'd be interested in playing in a dynasty league if you get one started up. I've always wanted to play in one but all my buddies I currently play in leagues with don't get into it as much as I do. Managing a team year-round would be way more interesting than just the casual redrafts & one keeper league I play in currently. Great idea kmbryant09!

Thanks everyone for the initial responses.

I nearly joined a league today that lost a few managers last year (their first season). I thought the team was decent, but still a year or 2 away from competing so I'd rather that NOT be my first Dynasty League experience.

One thing about that league that intrigued me, however, was a salary cap. I believe players were given up to a 4-year contract, and could be franchised for 1 season after that (a franchised player was treated like a FA - the other teams bid on that franchised player, than the original owner is given the option to retain the player for 90% of his highest bid, or let him walk to that highest bidder). And contract that expired became a FA, open to bid on by every team.

I assume the start-up to this scenario is an auction format? I don't have any experience in that format, but have a lot of interest.

As far as league-size, I'd prefer to keep it around 10-12 people. I know some people think that 14-16 teams is the way to go, but that's more owners, potentially more problems/drop-outs, and forces these new-comers to know/research an extra 25% of the league/rookies/college players.

Anybody interested in a 10-12 team start-up Dynasty League with an auction format? And how feasible is it to find a website that will allow this?

i guess some people like the challenge of taking over a "left for dead" team. but i also think part of the fun, especially as your first dynasty, is being a part of the initial draft and feeling like you built your team from the very beginning.

i've never had this experience. I have taken over a deep keeper team (10 keepers) that feels like a dynasty and built it up.... and I joined a start up free dynasty with members of this board but I did not take over until the draft was complete for an owner who bailed.

i think 12 teams is perfect only because it lessens the chance of having owners bail. 16 team leagues, i feel you would get more owners bailing if their teams suck because the talent pool will be thin and a lot of people quit when it looks like it might take too long to build a team back up. Sucks, i know, but it happens.

i guess some people like the challenge of taking over a "left for dead" team. but i also think part of the fun, especially as your first dynasty, is being a part of the initial draft and feeling like you built your team from the very beginning.

i've never had this experience. I have taken over a deep keeper team (10 keepers) that feels like a dynasty and built it up.... and I joined a start up free dynasty with members of this board but I did not take over until the draft was complete for an owner who bailed.

i think 12 teams is perfect only because it lessens the chance of having owners bail. 16 team leagues, i feel you would get more owners bailing if their teams suck because the talent pool will be thin and a lot of people quit when it looks like it might take too long to build a team back up. Sucks, i know, but it happens.

I took over a left for dead team the 1st time I drafted (2007) a dynasty team. ouch did I suck and have no idea what i was doing.

Thanks everyone for the initial responses.

I nearly joined a league today that lost a few managers last year (their first season). I thought the team was decent, but still a year or 2 away from competing so I'd rather that NOT be my first Dynasty League experience.

One thing about that league that intrigued me, however, was a salary cap. I believe players were given up to a 4-year contract, and could be franchised for 1 season after that (a franchised player was treated like a FA - the other teams bid on that franchised player, than the original owner is given the option to retain the player for 90% of his highest bid, or let him walk to that highest bidder). And contract that expired became a FA, open to bid on by every team.

I assume the start-up to this scenario is an auction format? I don't have any experience in that format, but have a lot of interest.

As far as league-size, I'd prefer to keep it around 10-12 people. I know some people think that 14-16 teams is the way to go, but that's more owners, potentially more problems/drop-outs, and forces these new-comers to know/research an extra 25% of the league/rookies/college players.

Anybody interested in a 10-12 team start-up Dynasty League with an auction format? And how feasible is it to find a website that will allow this?

I'd be into joining a 12-team league if one is started up. I was invited by a FFT board member last year to join his dynasty league & take over an existing team. While the league was great & compromised with some great FFT minds. The team however wasn't very good & I wasn't sure how the previous owner had drafted/managed the team so horribly to get it to that point so I passed. If I'm gonna get into a dynasty league, I'd want to be the owner from day 1. Much more satisfying knowing it's "my team" from the inception of the league.

I've done auction leagues before so I wouldn't be opposed to that route for the draft if that's what becomes agreed upon. Hope we get more interested participants so we get the process rolling.

I play allot in the dynasty format and I will give you a few quick tips for start-up

1: Find a good comish, with dynasty experience

2: Use a tested/proven set of by-laws (very important)

3: If you want guys to stick around and be responsible with their teams set up a account for next year and have everyone pay the first year league due's + half of next year! this way if someone guts there team you have the right to hold back next year’s money! (caution this must be clear in the league by-laws)

4: forget contracts if this is a league full of new players! keep it simple and fun!

5: put a rule in place about activity of the owner. I honestly believe in a good league there should be year round activity and I see no reason why a owner should go missing for weeks at a time with explanation. I prefer a system where you are obligated to log in 1x per week

6: use a site you/the comish are familiar with, very important at least the guy running the show knows all the ins and outs!

7: 12-16 teams and 20 min roster spots. Just seems to work! The waiver wire should be hidden gems!

:cheers: a bunch of us from here set up a new Dynasty league last year around this time and I see no reason why you guys couldnt get another one up and running!

your biggest hurdle will be finding a comish!

I'd be into joining a 12-team league if one is started up. I was invited by a FFT board member last year to join his dynasty league & take over an existing team. While the league was great & compromised with some great FFT minds. The team however wasn't very good & I wasn't sure how the previous owner had drafted/managed the team so horribly to get it to that point so I passed. If I'm gonna get into a dynasty league, I'd want to be the owner from day 1. Much more satisfying knowing it's "my team" from the inception of the league.

I've done auction leagues before so I wouldn't be opposed to that route for the draft if that's what becomes agreed upon. Hope we get more interested participants so we get the process rolling.

I have room for one more league. I am interested in an auction dynasty startup but I would need to see a solid commish, finances handled through league-safe, and a group of guys who have a history of involvement on this or another board.

I have room for one more league. I am interested in an auction dynasty startup but I would need to see a solid commish, finances handled through league-safe, and a group of guys who have a history of involvement on this or another board.

I think there's plenty of interest on this board that we should garner enough owners for a 12-teamer atleast. A few of us missed out on the Zealots Dynasty League last year & are chomping at the bit to play in this format. I've read both the Zealots & MFM's league bylaws & these two leagues would be a great place to draw our information & setup from.

I think there's plenty of interest on this board that we should garner enough owners for a 12-teamer atleast. A few of us missed out on the Zealots Dynasty League last year & are chomping at the bit to play in this format. I've read both the Zealots & MFM's league bylaws & these two leagues would be a great place to draw our information & setup from.

disclosure: I am in the Zealots league as the owner of team Voice of Truth. The format is very interesting but is very time intensive and complicated for a commish IMHO. If someone was going to step up and volunteer to run a similar league I suggest they have a conversation with Evil Genius before doing so.

I think it's also a difficult format to have a good handle on the best tactics to utilize without seeing it play out for at least a full season or maybe two.

I enjoy a good intellectual exercise, am interested generally in game theory, spend a fair amount of time just thinking, realize the importance of "knowing the rules" in outcomes and I have felt overmatched. Not overmatched by the other owners, though they are excellent, but by the potential outcomes depending on choice of tactics. I think it's a fantastic format to "step up to" but not a great format to have as your initial foray into dynasty. Just my opinion anyway.

I took over a left for dead team the 1st time I drafted (2007) a dynasty team. ouch did I suck and have no idea what i was doing.

The dynasty team you drafted from scratch blows, too. :banana:

Initial projections for this year's FF indicate that I should have enough time for another league and I am liking the dynasty format more and more as my ff tastes change and mature. Should one of you malcontents get up the gumption to commish another league I'd be willing to join. Also looking for the same kind of security that Les spoke of with leaguesafe, strong commish, dudes local to the bored, etc.

10 is too small IMO. I'm even bored in my 12 team 20 roster dynasty (that has been going for years) where almost every team has a very good starting lineup (unless there's an owner who just doesn't try or is really bad) and nothing really ever changes.

However, I have one spot in another league I run. It fits most of the criteria mentioned:

-dedicated commish and customized website

-leaguesafe for payment

-rules which have been perfected over the years

-32 teams but it really functions as two 16 team leagues where the two conference winners meet in the championship

-no IDP (overrated IMO) and the rosters are not a bazillion players each

-$250 entry (some teams are co-owned). all playoff teams get a payout and there's a regular season weekly high scorer payout.

-you are never stuck with your roster. there is high turnover of players due to our unique salary/auction/cut-down rules.

.....in fact, you really have to evolve your team or get left behind.

-one auction each year to re-fill rosters (no separate rookie auction/draft...so everyone can bid on whoever is available)

-no player is untradeable due to rules, no messy contracts and league/trading begins March 1st.

If not yet turned off, what we're looking for is someone who:

-likes (or doesn't hate) the Chargers as that is the open team name

-we'd consistently hear from as we have our own message board

-likes making/receiving trade offers 9 of the 12 months of the year

-is active in blind bidding weekly waivers through week 16 (to speculate for the future) even if they don't make the playoffs

If you've come this far and maybe willing to go a bit further...PM me.

and a group of guys who have a history of involvement on this

says the guy with 180 posts. :lol:

*i know you said this or another board but i couldnt resist.

says the guy with 180 posts. :lol:

*i know you said this or another board but i couldnt resist.

I am a proponent of quality over quantity when it comes to speaking opinions! :D

I do see you have alot of quantity, White Wonder!

just playing, the truth is

"I'd rather keep my mouth shut and let others think that I'm a fool, than open my mouth, and remove all doubts”. ;)

I do tend to be fairly involved in my leagues and all one need do is look at the transaction list to prove it.

I'd rather be involved in a start up dynasty auction league, and imo no more than 14 or so teams. 32 teams is just too many! (Again imo)

Dear Gawd, I :wub: you guys.

I've always wanted so badly to add another conference of fourteen to CCDL but the present owners all got spooked when we had a failed attempt to do that a couple of years ago. Still, I floated the idea again last year anyways and I lost overwhelmingly. :wall:

I'm willing to commish a free league if you guys want in. I could settle for 14-16 teams but know right now that I'm looking at 28-32 teams if we can get that much. (That would be two drafts of 14-16 with two copies of each player). Rosters going 22 deep.

I'm going to want to experiment with the contract idea this time. We don't have that in either of the dynasty league I'm in now but it's a wrinkle that I'd like to try. It wouldn't be that you were forced to cut a player, it would be set up that you'd have the opportunity to trade the player when his time is up. We'd use the NFL's free agency period. If your guy isn't under contract when FA starts (early March) you'd be forced to trade him.

If we get a league started with 28-32 it would have to be hosted at MFL, free sites can't host that many so you'd be expected to chip in a few bucks for management expenses.

If there's enough interest in folks wanting to set up an auction draft, we could set up one conference to choose that way. But I'm not very familiar with having salaries, it'd be a one time thing to get rosters set.

and imo no more than 14 or so teams. 32 teams is just too many! (Again imo)

If you are comparing 14 to 32... I doubt any 32 team league has one total player pool. They are broken down into subsets such as two 16 teamers each with own separate player pool, auction/draft, free agency, trading, etc.

HTH

If you are comparing 14 to 32... I doubt any 32 team league has one total player pool. They are broken down into subsets such as two 16 teamers each with own separate player pool, auction/draft, free agency, trading, etc.

HTH

believe it or not I actually play in a 32team IDP dynasty league with a single copy of each player! its free (or else I would never consider it)

I have enjoyed the league for the most part..obviously its sooo deep I now have learned tons about the defensive side of the ball and I actually find it a good tool for seeking out the hidden jems in smaller leagues!

definitely the only league of this size I have ever heard of though!

Are there any websites that provide Dynasty capabilities at no cost? It may sound cheap, but as a long-time Commissioner, I always track roster changes/scoring/etc. offline just in case we ever run into tech problems. I think it'd be pretty easy for me to track rosters year-to-year (if it came to that) and manually input them into Yahoo/CBS/ESPN/etc. each off-season.

After searching the internet, talking to friends, and trying to join existing leagues, I will probably be starting a local Dynasty League with some friends and "friends-of-friends". It probably won't be as competitive as your average Dynasty League, but at least it will fulfill my year-long fix for fantasy football.

But enough about me!

Thanks for all the responses here, I really appreciate the feed-back. Now everyone can get back to enjoying that embarrassing Patriots loss :banana: But seriously, should we get into a Dynasty Rankings discussion?

I will provide comments on 420's Dynasty Rankings

QB’s

1: Rodgers Absolutely

2: Brady From a dynasty perspective, you have to be wondering about age, don't you? He's turning 37.

3: Brees I think he's getting up there, age-wise too. However, I think 2013 will be huge for him.

4: Luck In a non-start-up, this is too high IMO. I would rank Stafford and Ryan above him for 2013.

5: Cam

7: Peyton Manning For 2013, I see it. For 2014, he's a bit too long in the tooth.

8: RG3 I have serious questions, with the injury. If he comes back strong, I like him for about three years.

9: Ryan

10: Stafford

I should also add that Tony Romo could finish Top 8 for 2013, without much trouble. But everybody hates Romo, so leave him off the list. For dynasty, of course he's a little older and we always think he's done - everybody's always inches from done in Dallas - but really, Romo has three good Fantasy years left, assuming he actually plays.

WR’s

1: Mega

2: AJ Green

3: Julio

4: Percy Harvin

5: Dez

6: D Thomas

7: Cobb

8: Marshall

9: Cruz

10: Nicks

Perhaps flipping Marshall over Cobb, I would agree with 9/10ths of this entire list, including Dez's potential to be the Big Dog. I don't see both Nicks and Cruz making it into the top 10. One might, but one won't. My pick for 10th spot instead? Take your pick of Crabtree, VJax, or Hilton. Evidently, T.Y. stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

RB’s

1: Foster

2: Peterson

3: Rice I think Rice may drop from the Top 10 next year. I hate to say it...but they aren't using him enough

4: Martin

5: T-rich

6: McCoy

7: Spiller

8: Charles

9: Lynch

10: Morris I cannot say I am confident in Morris to repeat his success. There are so many question marks at RB. While I agree with the top 9 of these rankings (with some elasticity of course) about 4 guys could finish in the top 5 or 10 that aren't here. McFadden, for one, if the wheels ever turned all at once. Wilson, Murray, and dare I say it, Chris Johnson, all enigmas

TE’s

1: Gronk

2: Graham

3: Hernandez

4: Witten

5: Olson

6: Rudolph

7: Daniels

8. Vernon Davis (still has a shot?)

9. Greshem

10: Finley (maybe blind hope as I own him all over the place)

After Gronk and Graham, does anyone have any meaningful insight into TE rankings? I am throwing darts. However, yes, I think Davis comes back. If you look at the last couple Niners playoff games, I think I see a glimmer of hope.

I can definitely see Crabtree cracking top 10 next year. He is putting it all together and CK seems to be locked in. Brandon Marshall needs to be much higher on the list. I don't care what his age is relative to some guys listed ahead of him, hes a WR, his shelf life is longer and you can bank on his production with cutler feeding him the ball.

I see Marshall as no worse than 4th.

I can definitely see Crabtree cracking top 10 next year. He is putting it all together and CK seems to be locked in. Brandon Marshall needs to be much higher on the list. I don't care what his age is relative to some guys listed ahead of him, hes a WR, his shelf life is longer and you can bank on his production with cutler feeding him the ball.

I see Marshall as no worse than 4th.

I just can't put Marshall any higher. He's borderline insane, which is a red-flag in my opinion.

He's also finished 2nd, 13th, 22nd, 6th, 9th and 9th in scoring the last 6 years among WR's. That means he's averaged the 10th best production over the last 6 years. He's had only 2 seasons of 8+ Touchdowns. And while he was great last season, I'm not sure any WR will ever account for 45% of his team's yards and 52% of their receiving TD's again.

And while he was great last season, I'm not sure any WR will ever account for 45% of his team's yards and 52% of their receiving TD's again.

If anyone can it would be Marshall. The Bears are in flux - new coach, new system, and still no real proof Bennett or Jeffery (or Heser *gasp*)can step up. Jay is Linus and Marshall is his blanket.

If anyone can it would be Marshall. The Bears are in flux - new coach, new system, and still no real proof Bennett or Jeffery (or Heser *gasp*)can step up. Jay is Linus and Marshall is his blanket.

Fair enough.

But I wouldn't be surprised if defenses starting giving Marshall the Larry Fitzgerald-treatment. At least until Cutler and Jeffrey/Bennett/Hester/etc. prove they can beat you.