Sign in to follow this  
svtballa

this is our first year with a flex?

We usually do a 2rb/3wr line up..its now a 2rb/2wr/1flex...Any preferance on the flex spot? A wr or a rb? Or just best available?

We're switching to this in one of my leagues too. From what I can tell, it just makes RB's that much more important.

Adding the flex position definately provides a different wrinkle. Opens up lots of options you wouldn't have had with a restricted lineup. If you have a couple of decent TEs, don't be supprised if you start them both a week or two depending on bye weeks and injuries. I will say this though, the flex position is a trade killer. Think about it, if you have 2 starting RB slots and 3 legitimate RBs, it makes sense to trade one to strengthen a need area. With the flex position, you just run the wishbone with those 3 RBs. No trade needed.

flex really opens things up in PPR (which is basically the standard format anymore). many more draft options, since WR2s become viable starters. in standard scoring though, the above poster nailed it--it's basically a 3rd RB spot.

I will say this though, the flex position is a trade killer. Think about it, if you have 2 starting RB slots and 3 legitimate RBs, it makes sense to trade one to strengthen a need area. With the flex position, you just run the wishbone with those 3 RBs. No trade needed.

This. Hate the flex position.

flex really opens things up in PPR (which is basically the standard format anymore). many more draft options, since WR2s become viable starters. in standard scoring though, the above poster nailed it--it's basically a 3rd RB spot.

Yep. My main league is non-PPR with a flex; last year I had TRich/Ridley/Morris and rode them to a :first:

I just looked; only 5 WRs scored higher than the lowest scorer of those three -- Calvin, Marshall, Dez, Green, D Thomas. Unless I had 3 of those 5, statistically I was better off just riding the RB trio.

The earlier comment about reducing the need for trades is spot on though. In my case, I lost Harvin mid-year and would have definitely needed to trade one of those 3 RBs for a WR. As it was, I could get by with 2.

In our league we have a schedule with 14 games , 7 times we are the the visiting team and 7 times we are the home team.

We wanted to have a edge when we play at home, so home teams can play a flex.

Where its a bigger edge is in the playoffs.

But in our super bowl each team can have a flex.

In our league we have a schedule with 14 games , 7 times we are the the visiting team and 7 times we are the home team.

We wanted to have a edge when we play at home, so home teams can play a flex.

Where its a bigger edge is in the playoffs.

But in our super bowl each team can have a flex.

Let me get this straight. When you're the home team, you get an additional starting player in the form of a flex player? Or do you both start 2 RB/2 WR & the home team gets a flex play instead of starting just a 3rd WR? I'm guessing it's the 1st option but that seems like a pretty big advantage in a weekly matchup.

Start the best player!!

Don't worry if it's an RB or WR. If it's standard scoring, yes it's most likely an RB the way you say. For PPR obviously a WR. If you can play a TE at flex, I've seen a TE at flex because he had Graham and Gronk. Worked well for him. The best player is who works there. The points are all the same.

Let me get this straight. When you're the home team, you get an additional starting player in the form of a flex player? Or do you both start 2 RB/2 WR & the home team gets a flex play instead of starting just a 3rd WR? I'm guessing it's the 1st option but that seems like a pretty big advantage in a weekly matchup.

No when we are the home team we dont have a extra player, our basic system is 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE so when we are the home team we can play for example :

1QB 3RB 2WR 1TE.

We can only play 1QB but as far as the rest of our lineup we can do anything as long as we have 1 player at each position.

Could be :

1QB 1RB 3WR 2TE or

QB 1RB 4WR 1TE .

Gives you a edge when your the home team.

No when we are the home team we dont have a extra player, our basic system is 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE so when we are the home team we can play for example :

1QB 3RB 2WR 1TE.

We can only play 1QB but as far as the rest of our lineup we can do anything as long as we have 1 player at each position.

Could be :

1QB 1RB 3WR 2TE or

QB 1RB 4WR 1TE .

Gives you a edge when your the home team.

Gotchya. Not sure if it gives you more of an edge but rather more options when setting your roster when the home team. If a team was stacked at wide receiver it would probably would help them when playing as the road team. I'm curious to see what the teams records were in regards to home/away in your league but it's a neat feature I've never heard mentioned before.

I'm kinda digging this home team advantage thing. Does your site automatically support this, or do you manually manage it yourselves? If it supports it, what site do you use?

I'm kinda digging this home team advantage thing. Does your site automatically support this, or do you manually manage it yourselves? If it supports it, what site do you use?

I know ESPN has a home team advantage option.I use it as a tie breaker in the regular season and give a 1 pt advantage in the postseason to the home team in a league I run.

Assuming this is a non-PPR redraft league, your best bet is to go RB-RB-RB in the draft, and then start filling in your WR and QB spots. The reason for this is that the average points scored per game for RB's starts off significantly higher AND drops off faster than it does for WR's. By drafting this way, you're giving your Flex starter a significant advantage over everyone else's Flex starter (assuming they drafted 1 or 2 WR's before their third RB).

To put it another way, if you draft a WR before getting your third RB, you're necessarily pushing the selection of your Flex player further back in the draft, which will typically result in lower production. Also, it's OK to put off drafting WR's because the decline in production from one to the next isn't as great as it is for RB's - that is, you'll still be able to get good enough WR's in the 5th and 6th rounds (or later, or on the waiver wire).

To illustrate, here are my first eight picks in last year's draft for my 12 team league:

1. LeSean McCoy

2. Jamaal Charles

3. Doug Martin

4. Dez Bryant

5. Jeremy Maclin (Could've been Colston, Decker, Miles Austin, or VJax)

6. Kenny Britt

7. Peyton Hillis

8. Tony Romo

Dez's breakout was a bonus, but having the three top-flight RB's (and waiting on QB) is what helped overcome my weak WR2 and lead to my third straight regular-season-high-points finish.

My strategy is basically an extrapolation of the Value-Based Drafting (VBD) strategy*, though I prefer to focus on average fantasy points per game (based on multiple recent years of players' scoring) as opposed to point totals over the course of a full season to guage/make my projections. Also, and very importantly, you have to be comfortable with your valuations of the RB's available in the first three rounds (i.e. bust or injury potential) or make sure to draft handcuffs (e.g. Hillis) or high-upside backups who can fill-in if something doesn't pan out with one of your starting RB's.

This is very general, and there are definitely bound to be situations where going RB-RB-RB isn't necessarily the best course of action, but by and large, it should give you an advantage over those in your league who take their WR's and QB's early.

*Sorry, my hyperlink button isn't working - here's VBD by ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=nfldk2k12_vbdwork